The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO PvP Update [Updated June 2022]

• xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just have to say personally, I've had zero lag the last three days in the main campaign of cyrodiil (PC/NA) since the server work. I'm curious to see how it holds up for weekend or even better, the next event or pvp event even. I hope it holds up. If so, it's working better than it has in years (at least for me) lag wise. I'm sure other things can be tightened up now, but definitely seems like a good (and big) leap forward.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @ZOS_GinaBruno

Whilst no real update available is obviously and understandably disappointing to hear on our end, and probably yours as well, it is still much appreciated that you've popped in and given even the info you have just now.

Perhaps maybe mention findings throughout? Hopeful timelines etc?

Example: Even though you guys don't think that, or it wasn't the aim that, the upgraded data center servers would have impact - reports are that they have. Maybe one of you guys can pop into that other thread and give a latest estimate of when the other platforms will see the hardware? I understand you are waiting for your order to arrive. I deal with it daily.

Either way, to put it weirdly, sometimes; No news is still news. In the sense of communication. Especially given recent years and the climate regarding supply chain and labor issues.
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    Never was out on that main page. I get an email saying there is an update to this thread and a link which takes me immediately into this post where I don't see all the others. Ignoring the negativity and moving on... I'm very happy there is progress. I used to be a PC NA player and even though they said this won't help performance, it should mean only good things. I can't believe they were running the game on 10-year old servers! This is coming from the Head Network Administrator of a phone and internet company. I was hired at my current gig and immediately replaced all the servers in my 1st year. All SSD and no more spinning hard drives. Of course we had big performance improvements. I'm wondering why ESO won't. But hey, at least it's progress! I'm Xbox now and looking forward to a hardware refresh there as well. Although based on the comments it sounds like it's months away at best. And it sure would be nice to get an update to the January post explaining progress on the whole "changing the code" thing. They said it could take a year or more. How is progress going and are you actually doing this ZOS?

Xeon v2 were great... But looking the recommendations for mmos given by Joshua, I would bet that those servers where crappy X5xxx or used e5xxx with ridiculous RAM amounts and of course no ssds. I still admin a LOT of v1 and v2 (and x5xxx... E5xxx)..., and everyone is underused (software bottlenecks or simply underused).

Why there is not going to be a big improvement replacing hardware? Because the architecture is bad designed. That prevent fast changes to things like stacking trebuchets or anything with a health bar... And prevents the most important... Scaling. Sharding should be the last option, something temporal while u work in anything better. Here it isnt. And with those bad selected keys, scalability is not posible (at the grade where we can call it scalable). The responsible is not going to be changed (in fact is working in their new AAA... Hitting the same rock with the same architecture ideas)... So forget it... Is not going to be solved. They are not remaking the database mess. They are preparing the next piece of unscallable code aka AAA game that marketing team will sell like an epic battles games and wont work because the main pieces are the same. Im tired of this company too and wont buy anything more until microsoft make changes.
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    we know you are anxious to hear more about.

... I was
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Performance has been greatly improved since the last maintenance. And everyone seems really happy about that. But there is one pain spot that still needs fixing - being stuck in combat. It really is a sore spot. And still makes you want to just turn off the computer. It sure would be nice if something could be done.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess you are talking about PC NA. A huge part of the player base is console and there hasn't been a hardware refresh yet...
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had stupid waiti times in load screens, still lag and desync in pvp as well as being killed by people and enemies that dont render until I die. The last one is the most annoying and didnt occur till the last update.

I have noticed less rubberbanding and a steadier fps although my ping is higher.

and thank you @ZOS_GinaBruno some news is better than silence.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    I just have to say personally, I've had zero lag the last three days in the main campaign of cyrodiil (PC/NA) since the server work. I'm curious to see how it holds up for weekend or even better, the next event or pvp event even. I hope it holds up. If so, it's working better than it has in years (at least for me) lag wise. I'm sure other things can be tightened up now, but definitely seems like a good (and big) leap forward.

it's nice to hear that pc na now has good performance. would only be interesting to know when the better servers will arrive at the other platforms and regions. Seems to be only a hardware problem, which was previously always denied...
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this work still need to be done if cyrodiil lag has been fixed?
    Edited by SimonThesis on May 7, 2022 2:21AM
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much more work needs to be done. This seems a first step not an crossing of the finish line.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luede wrote: »
    xaraan wrote: »

it's nice to hear that pc na now has good performance. would only be interesting to know when the better servers will arrive at the other platforms and regions. Seems to be only a hardware problem, which was previously always denied...

The servers aren't better, they told us that, and it is obvious in PVE as there was zero performance boost there. They probably just added more to Cyrodiil, much like what happens with MYM historically (except the last time when they didn't have any left to spare). I am glad they did it and am hoping they bought enough to raise the pop cap back up as well.
    Edited by Gaeliannas on May 7, 2022 2:55AM
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get the delay to the special events. It makes me think you're thinking too deep and complicated for them.
    I can only speak for myself but I'd be happy with some some small, easy additions.

*Update that dusty old Golden with new monster sets.

*Have the Golden pop up mid week selling mats for AP only, like the alchemy sachels in IC.

*refresh the regional vendor to sell newer dlc zone gear.

*DOUBLE AP
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indigogo wrote: »
    I don't get the delay to the special events. It makes me think you're thinking too deep and complicated for them.
    I can only speak for myself but I'd be happy with some some small, easy additions.

*Have the Golden pop up mid week selling mats for AP only, like the alchemy sachels in IC.

*DOUBLE AP

PVP got fixed with the hardware refresh, this is probably a dead issue now and not something they feel they need to do any longer.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaeliannas wrote: »
    Indigogo wrote: »

*DOUBLE AP

PVP got fixed with the hardware refresh, this is probably a dead issue now and not something they feel they need to do any longer.

PC EU and console say hi.
    The refresh for those is no where close on the radar.
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno and/or @ZOS_Kevin

Trying to stay constructive & positive here….. but PC/EU is really overdue an update and it’d like to request one. I’ d like to understand (& I’m sure I’m not alone):-
    • When can we expect to see upgrades to the EU servers. I believe there’s a plan, but don’t know what it is. While playing last night, my entire group had the same view. Can you guys shed some light?
    • When can we expect to see some impact of back-end changes? It feels like the PvP community have been waiting forever - literally years now - for performance improvements. Information thus far is a bit sketchy.
    • What plans do you have, if any, to restore the PVP population? Evening prime time used to mean a short queue of a few mins at least to get into well populated campaigns. Last night - Friday evening prime time - not a single faction was poplocked at any point. Mostly, populations remained at two bars or less. It’s hard to PvP when there’s no “P” !

I have been playing since the beta and while I complain like nobody’s business I love it in Tamriel. That said, populations in Cyrodiil have been diminishing for years and we’re now at the point where the current lack of population balance is creating new problems. At different times of day a single faction dominates absolutely. Population size means it’s not possible to conduct action on multiple fronts, so any attempt to take a keep is rolled over before it starts. A small group of 8-9 players might be taken out by 3 full groups that have nowhere else to go. This also means that almost the entire population meets in a single place, which causes lag and exacerbates the problem.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a reminder to all of you celebrating that PC/NA is working better, keep in mind that the it's working better with the same low population cap and the group size of 12.

That's a long way from how Cyrodiil was at launch or even a couple years ago. Low population caps and small group sizes bring their own problems for campaign balance, which haven't gone away.

I can only hope that the continued work on the rearchitecture makes it possible for us to go back to the old vision of Cyrodiil where we had more than a handful of guilds fighting small groups of PUGs
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with agelonestar a tentative time line for the hardware upgrade would be great! Also upgraded if the situation changes.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was so close to coming back on console when I read Cyro is lag free on Reddit and then realized it's only PC/NA and there is no timeline for other regions or platforms.

This feels bad man.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah PC NA Cyro isn't 'fixed' by a long chalk, its merely playable ish now for most people.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes skills are generally firing more reliably now, but there are still problems with crashes, rubberbanding, and situational lag. And no changes to stuck in combat, slow bug, or 49210 day debuffs.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Yes skills are generally firing more reliably now, but there are still problems with crashes, rubberbanding, and situational lag. And no changes to stuck in combat, slow bug, or 49210 day debuffs.

Why though?
    Its been so many years....fix things already.
  • peoplething
    peoplething
    ✭✭✭

I froze and got booted prime time saturday night from pc/na/cyro in the middle of combat and couldn't LOGIN until the next day.

yesterday was something similar. No problems all yesterday afternoon; leave for an hour to eat, attempt to log back on and no dice. same 'invalid login...'

Never had that error occur much at all, let alone back-to-back before. Tried restarts and multiple login attempts, etc... almost like the servers were actually down.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone, we wanted to pop in and let you all know while we don’t have any substantial changes or updates to share at this time, we’re still here, we see your concerns and questions, and wanted to let you know that we are still working on the things we mentioned in January. Thank you all for your patience and we’ll provide a larger update when we have some new information to share, including the previously mentioned weekend events we know you are anxious to hear more about.

So they've been working on this for 4-5 months and there's absolutely nothing to report? No tests, no findings, no hypotheses, nothing?

Why do we have to consistently ask you for better communication?

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom Teachable moment here.
    Edited by Destai on May 9, 2022 3:49PM
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish people would stop exaggerating with this hardware upgrade (falsely) perceived benefits. Sends the wrong message for the cluster of issues still plaguing PvP that haven't been resolved, infrastructure aside.
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish people would stop exaggerating with this hardware upgrade (falsely) perceived benefits. Sends the wrong message for the cluster of issues still plaguing PvP that haven't been resolved, infrastructure aside.

The lag has gone but frame rate drops and audio tearing is still there, but I'm 100% ok with having those issues rather than the game lagging to the point nothing fires and you can't break free for 30 seconds, it definitely still needs work but right now, it's a great start.
    Edited by Xandreia_ on May 10, 2022 6:24PM
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xandreia_ wrote: »

The lag has gone but frame rate drops and audio tearing is still there, but I'm 100% ok with having those issues rather than the game lagging to the point nothing fires and you can't break free for 30 seconds, it definitely still needs work but right now, it's a great start.

For those that can actually get in and play, which having a job and being on the west coast, seems neigh impossible now as the queuing extends past my bedtime.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been so long since we've had these bugs....it's just mind boggling.

I think I'm out before fixes ever arrive (honest)
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭

I agree. The lag is greatly diminished for me in Grayhost. Still experiencing 'stuck in combat' and slow bug.

Overall, I'm optimistic.

Things seem to be trending positive! B)
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The PC EU hardware upgrade can't come soon enough for me. This week, I've had all the usual lag symptoms, particularly the rubber-banding and skills not firing. Yesterday, I travelled from Elinhir in Craglorn to the guild stalls just outside Belkarth, only to find all the stalls were empty. I'd been deserted.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390