The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[EU] ESO pop is increasing, but cyrodiil pop is decreasing

Xarc
Xarc
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hi guys, Hi Zenimax
I come back from a 6months break. well i'm playing since april 2014 and mostly in cyro, and now I noticed things one of which is that Cyrodiil population decreased hardly for months when ESO pop is growing.

Some months ago, all campaigns except non vet were full at primetime. Now, the higher I saw after some weeks was 1full & 2x 3bars.

Maybe some explanations:
  • Ok I know there's the new life event.
  • BattleGrounds passed to only Deathmatch mode and it's what people are looking for.
  • there was a wave of bans which has concerned pvp cheaters
  • Also, I saw many old players have left this game. BUT there are tons of new @names in cyrodiil. It's a normal thing I think, and good sign for game's health.
  • cyrodiil is still the same one for almost 8 years now... Nothing new (I dont count bridges/villages/new outposts & volendrung...). Many players are certainly tired of this.

But all theses theories cant affect so much cyrodiil pop.

What do you guys think about that ?

(sorry for my english it's not my native language)
Edited by Xarc on December 31, 2021 2:11PM
@xarcs FR-EU-PC -
"La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
- since april.2014
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile we had queues in the 80s for PS NA GH last night.
    Go figure.
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It didn’t decrease, at least I haven’t noticed it. GH is as popular as previously, just Ravenwatch kinda died (because of no proc?) on PC EU, so instead of 2 populated campaigns everyone stacked on 1 like all other servers.
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP in this game is rather frustrating and not fun when what determines who wins is your gear, not your actual skills as a human player with a controller, and "git gut" doesn't mean practice, but grind for equipment. It's also FAR from beginner friendly when veteran players with new toons can get their equipment crafted by their main characters and have better builds and advantages over new players. But even among veteran players, the lag will always be a huge mood killer. I just got out of a battlegrounds match where I had to have the enemy players standing right in front of me just so that I could see 1 of my jabs hit, but meanwhile, I could be running away from other players and still get executed and other short-range attacks from players that were farther than 5 meters away (or even when I was behind cover).
    The absolute lack of new content for PvP, not only in terms of maps, but more cooperative pvp modes is another thing that has been killing the pvp population. I'm ENDURING battlegrounds just because I want the red dye from killing 1000 players (only 230 left to go), but once I get it, I have absolutely no more incentives to go back to PvP ever again (except maybe the centurion title, which is half a level away).
    Yeah, there are pvp events, and this is what also drives the population away: PvP'ers get to nuke the crap out of PvE'ers, and it doesn't motivate PvE'ers to "get better at PvP" it just motivates them to stay the hell away from it, because how come the PvE tank gets his 50k health nuked by a sneaky PvP nightblade and the only thing the tank can do is just break free and still die anyway because health potions aren't effective, and the breakfree animation is still preventing you to do any other actions while the nightblade is spamming more skills.
    What's any incentive to be in PvP that will make you want to go back even after you unlocked whatever pet or costume you were trying to unlock?

Lastly, this is an elder scrolls game after all, even if not made by bethesda, it's the story and role-playing that has brought its huge majority of players here. I get that some players enjoy pvp (they're probably masochists with how awful the state of this god-forsaken PvP mode is in this game)

The only incentive I'd ever look up to is to become emperor, but that really means pulling no-life campaigns, which is something a huge awful lot of us won't ever be able to do.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    and once you 've got a grand overlord, what do you do next ? another grand overlord ?
    And once you 've got 15 grand overlord ?

And when you took everykeep and every ressource, every outpost 3000 times, what next ? 4000 times ?

cyrodiil needs a real update, not junks like villages or volendrung

winning a campaign doesnt make any difference in the history, there's no historical monitoring of all campaings during time

dark age of camelot had a great trifaction with great bonuses like scrolls could be, but the game in its actual state is broken for that
    in this game, guards were really strong to defend a keep. It was really difficult to attack without a strong group. In eso we can solo a keep if we want.
    In DAOC when you got an ennemy relic (like scroll), your faction got more power (more magicka or stam by player), but every relic decreased the number or guards defending the keep...
    in DAOC you were either dd, either heal, either tank. In eso you can be all in one with your char. In DAOC you were forced to play with other players to win a fight... but a decent group of 8ppl could kill a group of 100 players. in eso 8ppl in "ballgroup" are totally unkillable and ruin everything. in ESO guards are totally useless and all cyrodiil is soloable even emperor achievement.

I think eso was first made like daoc but had lost the spirit through ages and was too much influenced by wow
    Edited by Xarc on December 31, 2021 4:07PM
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    - since april.2014
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xarc wrote: »
    Hi guys, Hi Zenimax
    I come back from a 6months break. well i'm playing since april 2014 and mostly in cyro, and now I noticed things one of which is that Cyrodiil population decreased hardly for months when ESO pop is growing.

Some months ago, all campaigns except non vet were full at primetime. Now, the higher I saw after some weeks was 1full & 2x 3bars.

Maybe some explanations:
    • Ok I know there's the new life event.
    • BattleGrounds passed to only Deathmatch mode and it's what people are looking for.
    • there was a wave of bans which has concerned pvp cheaters
    • Also, I saw many old players have left this game. BUT there are tons of new @names in cyrodiil. It's a normal thing I think, and good sign for game's health.
    • cyrodiil is still the same one for almost 8 years now... Nothing new (I dont count bridges/villages/new outposts & volendrung...). Many players are certainly tired of this.

But all theses theories cant affect so much cyrodiil pop.

What do you guys think about that ?

(sorry for my english it's not my native language)

Cyrodiil population caps have been reduced to 75 or so players per faction now too. So keep that in mind when checking if population cap is reached or not.

A friend who only goes to cyrodiil to do an endeavor daily checked their ranking today. They are rank 212 with less than 1k AP earned in three weeks of the campaign. That means not only are daily logins way down, but in three weeks less than 220 people have even played that faction during the entire campaign. That equates to only about 660 people in total playing in cyrodiil over a 30 day period on the main campaign. That is a shockingly low number of participants. There used to be more than 1,000 different players in cyrodiil on any given day.

Performance.
    Edited by EdmondDontes on December 31, 2021 4:12PM
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xarc wrote: »
    and once you 've got a grand overlord, what do you do next ? another grand overlord ?
    And once you 've got 15 grand overlord ?

And when you took everykeep and every ressource, every outpost 3000 times, what next ? 4000 times ?

cyrodiil needs a real update, not junks like villages or volendrung

winning a campaign doesnt make any difference in the history, there's no historical monitoring of all campaings during time

dark age of camelot had a great trifaction with great bonuses like scrolls could be, but the game in its actual state is broken for that
    in this game, guards were really strong to defend a keep. It was really difficult to attack without a strong group. In eso we can solo a keep if we want.
    In DAOC when you got an ennemy relic (like scroll), your faction got more power (more magicka or stam by player), but every relic decreased the number or guards defending the keep...
    in DAOC you were either dd, either heal, either tank. In eso you can be all in one with your char. In DAOC you were forced to play with other players to win a fight... but a decent group of 8ppl could kill a group of 100 players. in eso 8ppl in "ballgroup" are totally unkillable and ruin everything. in ESO guards are totally useless and all cyrodiil is soloable even emperor achievement.

I think eso was first made like daoc but had lost the spirit through ages and was too much influenced by wow

PvP doesn't need a bigger map or more gimmicks. PvP just needs performance improvements and population cap increases same time. They just need to make it work properly.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    performances are good actually, and during many years it was horrible with lags etc. And servers were always full.

Now that the performances are good, everybody has left.

the map is larger enough, we need something else.
    Edited by Xarc on December 31, 2021 4:14PM
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    - since april.2014
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Cyrodiil population caps have been reduced to 75 or so players per faction now too. So keep that in mind when checking if population cap is reached or not.

A friend who only goes to cyrodiil to do an endeavor daily checked their ranking today. They are rank 212 with less than 1k AP earned in three weeks of the campaign. That means not only are daily logins way down, but in three weeks less than 220 people have even played that faction during the entire campaign. That equates to only 675 people playing in cyrodiil over a 30 day period on the main campaign.

Performance.

That PVP ranking is probably inaccurate. If you're lower than a certain number and check from the Alliance War page (L), it will show something in the 200s no matter what (as long as you have some earned). If you check again from the Leaderboards page (J), you will get a different view. For example, at the moment I can see 300 people on the PC/NA blackreach leaderboards (100 each alliance), with the lowest amount of AP earned at the 350k range. There's probably quite a lot more than 675 over the 30 days.
    Edited by kringled_1 on December 31, 2021 4:19PM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP in this game is rather frustrating and not fun when what determines who wins is your gear, not your actual skills as a human player with a controller, and "git gut" doesn't mean practice, but grind for equipment. It's also FAR from beginner friendly when veteran players with new toons can get their equipment crafted by their main characters and have better builds and advantages over new players. But even among veteran players, the lag will always be a huge mood killer.

So much this! The meta is very much about your gear and little about your class. You cant rly play the way you want anymore if you wanna be relevant in pvp. Thats why I mainly play nocp/noprocc.
    Certain sets are so dominating in the meta that they overshadow everything else. Its hard to enjoy that.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Ythotha
    Ythotha
    ✭✭✭
    Its because game is losing its less casual playerbase as cyrodil is broken and doesnt work when the campaign is full
    there are so many things to say about classes or skills or monetization but imo this is the one that has the biggest effect for pvp side of things

edit: As an additional note, zenimax cant decide to focus on either cp or no cp pvp. Not that i think they would do a good job for balancing if they did focus on one of them but it would be better
    Edited by Ythotha on December 31, 2021 4:30PM
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ravenwatch :
    - no cp
    - no proc
    - no volen
    - no faction lock
    - no player

Edited by Xarc on December 31, 2021 4:42PM
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    - since april.2014
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ravenwatch PC EU had been very populated until the Blue Zerg drove the yell and red players away.

Luckily, TDA might return to Grey Host soon, which could give the Yells and Reds on Ravenwatch some more breathing space.
    Edited by Thraben on December 31, 2021 5:19PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »
    Ravenwatch PC EU had been very populated until the Blue Zerg drove the yell and red players away.

Luckily, TDA might return to Grey Host soon, which could give the Yells and Reds on Ravenwatch some more breathing space.

A lot of players migrated because of No Proc conditions too. Remove that then I can see a lot of people will head back to Ravenwatch. Most of us are just playing BGs for now.
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    PS/NA ravenwatch is popular too, haven’t seen the queue and action but last time I entered, the score is like blackreach.
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022