The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

95% of Armor Sets in PvP have become WORTHLESS

Crom_CCCXVI
Crom_CCCXVI
✭✭✭✭✭
- Don't get me wrong, the descriptions, different lore, visuals are great.

I am talking about what the set actually does in PvP combat that makes it worth wearing vs another set--- We have reached Max Vanilla, Ultra Boring

1) we have a ton of sets that add like 300-400 dmg to some type of damage (fire, poison)........... What do you think that actually translates to? You are at around 4000 weapon damage just standing there, the guy you are fighting has 30,000 health.... and you hit him with a flame lash, and it hits for 6700 instead of 6500. That is the effect of 300-400+ dmg, basically nothing. Silks of the Sun, Netches touch, Swamp Raider etc... 50 sets like this and none of them make any real difference in PvP. If you are only doing 1 type of damage, it really should be a bit higher.. that you at least notice...

2) SO MANY WORTHLESS PROC SETS- Something that does 900more dmg to my attacks like say Ice Furnace, Way of Fire etc.. again, fighting a guy with 30k health, 25k armor and that 900 attack ,divided by 2 because I'm in Cyrodil, now it's like 300 extra damage. That means if I wear Ice Furnace for every 10 attacks, the 11th will be like free... just worthless again. Same with all the 5000 extra damage every 15 seconds... That ends up being like one 2k attack on a player.
*** Yes, all the great players hate proc sets! They ruin the game-- Yet, Cyrodil was never so freaking empty as when we had No Proc Sets, so yeah. The proof is in the pudding. and I personally would like to see more people in Cyrodil

3) **Bring back variety** all those specialized sets are gone. Sheild Breaker, Elegant, Harbringer. It's ok to have a OP Set in one area if it sucks in all the rest and that is what a lot of these sets did, it put a little strategy in group composition.

4) Yes Dark Convergence was broken, and a dozen sets all the way back to I remember the Viper, Tremorscale combo. WHO CARES-it's ok to have something stupid, then you patch it, make it weaker, but you have nerfed so many of these sets to the point where NO ONE HAS WORN THEM IN YEARS and you keep introducing more. I almost wish that sets got stronger the less people wore them, and weaker the more they did. Like if I am the only person wearing "Spelunker" in all of Cyrodil it's 50% stronger, and if I'm the 90th person wearing VD, then it's 50% weaker.. idk, anything to add some excitement

______ If you just took every set and doubled or tripled whatever effect that set was supposed to have, I don't even care if some became totally broken, it would be a better game right now in PvP.
--- I'm sure there are a ton of "elite players" who will talk about their amazing skill levels and how only cheese players need an armor set... sure fine, they can be totally right,--- in a dying, empty Cyrodil. I'd prefer to have people back playing it again.
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Don't get me wrong, the descriptions, different lore, visuals are great.

I am talking about what the set actually does in PvP combat that makes it worth wearing vs another set--- We have reached Max Vanilla, Ultra Boring

1) we have a ton of sets that add like 300-400 dmg to some type of damage (fire, poison)........... What do you think that actually translates to? You are at around 4000 weapon damage just standing there, the guy you are fighting has 30,000 health.... and you hit him with a flame lash, and it hits for 6700 instead of 6500. That is the effect of 300-400+ dmg, basically nothing. Silks of the Sun, Netches touch, Swamp Raider etc... 50 sets like this and none of them make any real difference in PvP. If you are only doing 1 type of damage, it really should be a bit higher.. that you at least notice...

2) SO MANY WORTHLESS PROC SETS- Something that does 900more dmg to my attacks like say Ice Furnace, Way of Fire etc.. again, fighting a guy with 30k health, 25k armor and that 900 attack ,divided by 2 because I'm in Cyrodil, now it's like 300 extra damage. That means if I wear Ice Furnace for every 10 attacks, the 11th will be like free... just worthless again. Same with all the 5000 extra damage every 15 seconds... That ends up being like one 2k attack on a player.
    *** Yes, all the great players hate proc sets! They ruin the game-- Yet, Cyrodil was never so freaking empty as when we had No Proc Sets, so yeah. The proof is in the pudding. and I personally would like to see more people in Cyrodil

3) **Bring back variety** all those specialized sets are gone. Sheild Breaker, Elegant, Harbringer. It's ok to have a OP Set in one area if it sucks in all the rest and that is what a lot of these sets did, it put a little strategy in group composition.

4) Yes Dark Convergence was broken, and a dozen sets all the way back to I remember the Viper, Tremorscale combo. WHO CARES-it's ok to have something stupid, then you patch it, make it weaker, but you have nerfed so many of these sets to the point where NO ONE HAS WORN THEM IN YEARS and you keep introducing more. I almost wish that sets got stronger the less people wore them, and weaker the more they did. Like if I am the only person wearing "Spelunker" in all of Cyrodil it's 50% stronger, and if I'm the 90th person wearing VD, then it's 50% weaker.. idk, anything to add some excitement

______ If you just took every set and doubled or tripled whatever effect that set was supposed to have, I don't even care if some became totally broken, it would be a better game right now in PvP.
    --- I'm sure there are a ton of "elite players" who will talk about their amazing skill levels and how only cheese players need an armor set... sure fine, they can be totally right,--- in a dying, empty Cyrodil. I'd prefer to have people back playing it again.

Way of fire is really strong man what are you talking about, I do 3k proc (after battle spirit, remember proc can crit now) every 2 sec with it for free like ?? actually , a lot of these set ARE powerful but only when you use it with the right build. Sure, some may seems a bit weaker (like WD on a specific type of attack), but we're not in PvE so not every set need to be balanced around pvp
    Edited by Fhritz on December 31, 2021 12:33PM
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even care if some became totally broken

Of course, if some became "totally broken", then half the people would be using them, and the other half screaming to high heaven about it. You might not care, but many, many would.

(the other option is that 100% of people would be using them, and... 95% of armor sets would be 'worthless' in PvP. )
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the opinion that armor sets shouldn't be important, that their bonuses should be scarce, and that they shouldn't be casting magic skills for you at no cost
    Dark Convergence was ok as it was, but it shouldn't be a proc, it should be a skill that costs an awful lot of magic and takes a slot in your bar, or even better, it should've been an ultimate skill.
    For years people have been asking for new skills, and ultimates, but we're not getting any that cost skill points. Instead, we're getting them as armor sets that proc free of cost when you do a special action.
    So why is the game playing itself? Why does having one armor set makes your character cast a spell?
    I mean, deadly strikes makes sense for an armor set that buffs up a certain type of damage. Harbinger should've been part of sword and shield, a damage shield that also returns damage while blocking (or even make it a sword and shield passive, make that weapon set more viable for DPS, nobody blocks as often because it's just wasting stamina, so why not?)

In my opinion, the bonuses you get from armor sets are WAY TOO HIGH.
    And this is exactly what makes builds in this game so polarizing, which is why nobody wants to tank.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6,700 damage on a whip???? Is that after Battle Spirit or before? If that's before you need to take another look at your build as that thing should be hitting for 9-10k+ easily.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find keeping up to meta is not worth my time. I play what's fun and if I live woot, if I die I can respawn. ((shrugs))
    Edited by Nanfoodle on December 31, 2021 11:23PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even care if some became totally broken

Of course, if some became "totally broken", then half the people would be using them, and the other half screaming to high heaven about it. You might not care, but many, many would.

(the other option is that 100% of people would be using them, and... 95% of armor sets would be 'worthless' in PvP. )

It's been totally broken in the past. I mean, the post-One Tamriel PvP Meta was a dumpsterfire of proc effects without meaningful counterplay. Yeah, when you're stomping people it was fun, but if you got blindsided there was nothing you could do about it.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    95% of sets are worthless ... period.
    PC NA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is worthless and what is worthwhile is a matter of perspective so that will vary from player to player based on their interests and playstyles.

Even then, when looking at total damage potential that will always come down to math and will lead to a small selection of sets. That does not mean the rest of the sets are worthless though as some will find them useful for their interests, even in PvP.
  • ATomiX69
    ATomiX69
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope [snip] shield breaker, worst set design by a landslide, doing a good chunk of unmitigatable (true) damage by spamming your restoration stuff at people. (bonus points if you sit in a 30 man zerg with multiple people doing that [snip])
    Add Torugs pact infused restoration staffs with an oblivion damage rune and you get what was the biggest [snip] ESO ever had.
    What also has to be mentioned the average hp pool of a cyrodil player wasnt 30k+ like today it was usually in the 20-23k range (sometimes 25k on heavy armor setups).

Shortly after Summerset came out we got another "fun" set called sloads semblence which was absolutely broken and included in every decent players build, since its proc was undodgeable on release with 100% uptime and people could suffer from multiple instances of oblivion damage sloads on them it was nerfed shortly after (3 months or something lmao).

PvP and (high) unmitigatable damage just dont go together.

[edited for profanity bypass & rude/insulting comment]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 1, 2022 1:27PM
    smurf account
    New PvP content when?
    Better cyro performance when?
    Farmed about 3 GO's worth of AP
    world 3rd immortal redeemer (22.02.18) and other not noteworthy trifectas