The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Idea - new type of housing!

ive_wonder
ive_wonder
✭✭✭
I initially posted it in housing section but it's maybe better suited here, as i see people post their ideas too.
So
*opens up a scooma bottle and takes a big sniff*
So, hear me out.
What if ZOS implemented a location snipping tool into the game.
You travel through the Tamriel, you see the location, you say to yourself "Shor's bones! I want to live here!" "Bright moons, this one really likes this places!" "By the eight! Best place i've eve *cough* yeah, you get it.
So then player goes to the crown store and buys a snip.
Player then can select an area, size can be up from some limit to some limit. Possibly vary in sized depending on a price paid.
Absolutely essential that snips would be available not only in super large sizes, but in small and medium aswell.
Snipping tool creates a copy of selected area in a separate instance, without the clutter (like containers and furnishing items present on a location).
Instance where copy of area is created looks like some kind of daedric dimension, so lorewise we literally would be creating a copy of location.
So what about the borders? There can be pretty rough snips in some places.
Well, end result may look like some kind of Island in space, with all roughly snipped edges transformed into daedric rock, for example, and if there is water it would create a waterfall.
Also there is an opportunity to sell various backgrounds for said daedric dimension.

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting idea. I wouldn't mind having that available. I think it would need to exclude the areas already marked as "housing" for obvious reasons - I mean, if one could snip one of the existing 14k crown housing areas for a lower figure.... well, that would be one of those "end-around" unfair things....
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While something like that could work in a solo game without causing too much distress on your own system - imagine what x number of special instances like that would do to servers that are evidently already struggling to keep a massive player base afloat.
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    Bat wrote: »
    While something like that could work in a solo game without causing too much distress on your own system - imagine what x number of special instances like that would do to servers that are evidently already struggling to keep a massive player base afloat.

Well, i mean, it will work the same way as any other house.
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Interesting idea. I wouldn't mind having that available. I think it would need to exclude the areas already marked as "housing" for obvious reasons - I mean, if one could snip one of the existing 14k crown housing areas for a lower figure.... well, that would be one of those "end-around" unfair things....

Oh yeah, totally forgot to mention that, yeah, obviously you wouldn't be able to snip existing housing areas :)
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive_wonder wrote: »

Well, i mean, it will work the same way as any other house.

Maybe I misunderstood your idea in that case, it seemed to suggest we'd be able to cut out a piece of any land and strip it of eventual clutter, then have it turned into a player house cell - that alone would be quite costly server side since that's where your saves happen, and if you keep adding special cells on a map like that it would probably become unsustainable very quickly.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really nice idea - I like it. :)

Not sure if it would be feasible to implement, though.

Perhaps an alternative might be a 'ship-in-a bottle' type miniature model/furnishing or make your own painting furnishing from a scene you collected? Maybe zos could extend the 'allies' (companions, merchant, banker, armoury asst...) to include an engineer/artist to act as the tool?
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I misunderstood your idea in that case, it seemed to suggest we'd be able to cut out a piece of any land and strip it of eventual clutter, then have it turned into a player house cell - that alone would be quite costly server side since that's where your saves happen, and if you keep adding special cells on a map like that it would probably become unsustainable very quickly.

Oh no, it's not on the map, it will be placed in a separate housing instance, basically in our own tiny mini-plane of oblivion.
    So i want to grab that cloudy chunk of mountains, i snip it and then build whatever i want on it.
    Or chunk with a Wyrd tree near the beach. Or whatever.

• ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    *bottle is half-finished*
    So-o
    Near the release of the TES 6 there can be a competition.
    Players submit their mini daedric realms and some amount of winner works is added into TES 6 as easter eggs.
    With maybe a quest to find them all.
    Edited by ive_wonder on December 30, 2021 6:35PM
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive_wonder wrote: »

Oh no, it's not on the map, it will be placed in a separate housing instance, basically in our own tiny mini-plane of oblivion.
    So i want to grab that cloudy chunk of mountains, i snip it and then build whatever i want on it.
    Or chunk with a Wyrd tree near the beach. Or whatever.

I understand you want to clip any exterior cube formation of land out and just have it in your housing collections, however that would be technically impossible the way this game increments its content - everything you can enter in the game is already downloaded to your computer (unless you play through the Stadia cloud), this is why you can access certain player houses on the PTS before you can enter them live, since the assets they are made of have been added to the PTS game folders but not yet your live game folders, if that makes sense to you. It's why you can preview houses; those assets are already part of your downloaded/updated game files.

On a normal map you have interior cells that are pertinent to the general exterior map cell, so that when you enter a bank for example you are actually teleported to a smaller "cell within the cell" that is spacially located far away from other assets, in order to ease on both player side systems and on server side information handling.

I would assume for efficiency purposes that - in this game - player housing cells are entirely separate from the general exterior map in that sense, since they have both housing systems inside the cells and also need to handle save data such as positioning of furniture.

Player housing cells also go through developer and public testing, which your suggestion would simply have to override if we were to have the cells available by the wave of a wand like you're suggesting. It would also imply that each time anyone creates such a new cell out of overland assets, everyone would probably have to close their game down to install a patch that would have to be somehow automatically generated and shipped. And even then any such new cell would be liable to break the game entirely. It would quickly become unsustainable both on your own system and on the servers.
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭

I understand you want to clip any exterior cube formation of land out and just have it in your housing collections, however that would be technically impossible the way this game increments its content - everything you can enter in the game is already downloaded to your computer (unless you play through the Stadia cloud), this is why you can access certain player houses on the PTS before you can enter them live, since the assets they are made of have been added to the PTS game folders but not yet your live game folders, if that makes sense to you. It's why you can preview houses; those assets are already part of your downloaded/updated game files.

On a normal map you have interior cells that are pertinent to the general exterior map cell, so that when you enter a bank for example you are actually teleported to a smaller "cell within the cell" that is spacially located far away from other assets, in order to ease on both player side systems and on server side information handling.

I would assume for efficiency purposes that - in this game - player housing cells are entirely separate from the general exterior map in that sense, since they have both housing systems inside the cells and also need to handle save data such as positioning of furniture.

Player housing cells also go through developer and public testing, which your suggestion would simply have to override if we were to have the cells available by the wave of a wand like you're suggesting. It would also imply that each time anyone creates such a new cell out of overland assets, everyone would probably have to close their game down to install a patch that would have to be somehow automatically generated and shipped. And even then any such new cell would be liable to break the game entirely. It would quickly become unsustainable both on your own system and on the servers.

Thank you for the information, didn't know that technical side.
    If they like it and want to implement it they will find some workaround.
    My part is just to generate idea and to share it :)

• TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you can try to take a screenshot of the area you like and recreate it in an in-game home that exists already using the existing furnishings.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there was such a feature, the first place I’d grab is Indrik Frolic (where Caanerin is in Summerset) — the place has such a magical feel and is already well separated from the surrounding world by the terrain and beautiful trees. :relaxed:
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 1, 2022 8:14AM
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its an amazing idea. I'd love the opportunity to make my home wherever I want in (instanced) Tamriel.
  • Peacatcher
    Peacatcher
    ✭✭✭
    I'd pick a little section of the beach at the North West corner of Greenshade just before you get to Malabal Tor, and build a small beach hut :)
    Ps4 EU