The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you like to mute the Vestige's voice?

joseayalac
joseayalac
✭✭✭✭✭
Would you like to have a setting in-game in which you could toggle it on or off. I know a lot of people get tired about our characters screaming all the time when in combat.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on August 9, 2022 6:20PM

Would you like to mute the Vestige's voice? 195 votes

Yes, add that option!
29%
Gilvothchessalavakia_ESOkendellking_chaosb14_ESODarcyMardinloaganb16_ESOalanmatillab16_ESOquadraxis666danno8DarrettDrachenfierSilverBrideBouldercleaveSengraDestaiSevalaricgirlGorbazzurkLadyLethallaOhtimbarVoodooPlatypusTiberX 57 votes
No, don't add the option!
20%
vailjohn_ESOhaploeb14_ESOnpukiyxTreselegantSheridanFolkbBrowisethpleximusmenedhynLadyHeloiseTyharTheImperfectDark_Lord_KuroPurpleScrollKalik_Goldkarthrag_inakRaideenJobooAGSThe3sFinest 39 votes
I don't really care.
50%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOlolo_01b16_ESOJanus_CruentiDanikatKhenarthikwisatzmagnusthorekAektannSheezabeastElvenheartGelmirTandorBlkadrshadyjane62Eiregirlredspecter23Jeffrey530ParasaurolophusVevvevRataroto 99 votes
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.
    It's like combat music for me. Nice to have the option, but not something really high on my priority of desired things atm.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.
    I never really noticed that sort of audio clutter, but I have nothing against adding an option to turn it off.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Screaming?
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, add that option!
    I wouldn't use it (I've gotten used to them over the years) but yes there are one or two 'strange' sounds that the player character voice makes at times.

Usually taking fall damage is overacted, or can sound like a different actor was providing that line.
    Edited by Fennwitty on November 30, 2021 6:00PM
    PC NA
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, add that option!
    More choice is better, and I would use it. Complete silence would be the right thing for some of my RP toons.
    PC EU
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, add that option!
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    I wouldn't use it (I've gotten used to them over the years) but yes there are one or two 'strange' sounds that the player character voice makes at times.

Usually taking fall damage is overacted, or can sound like a different actor was providing that line.

Yes please! My wood elf's whines when she jumps are annoying when its the equivalent of jumping off a curb in real life. I'm old and can manage to do that without making noise.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't really care.
    Some of the noises are just hilarious. My dark elf dude sounds like he straight breaks his leg when falling. I do wish there was a way to preview specific sound bytes when in create a character. I have to scroll through like 30 different goofy laughs just to hear if their break free sound is decent. At least put them in the same order, and not make it random which sound byte will play when previewing.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, add that option!
    I try to find a normal sounding voice when creating a new character, but there really aren't any. I don't know how they create these sounds but it would be nice if they used voice actors so the sounds were realistic. In the meantime a mute would be nice.
    PCNA
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.
    I try to find a normal sounding voice when creating a new character, but there really aren't any. I don't know how they create these sounds but it would be nice if they used voice actors so the sounds were realistic. In the meantime a mute would be nice.

They do use voice actors and you can look at the list for who voiced what. The problem is how they went about making the noises. I doubt they dropped the actor off a cliff to hear what sounds they made upon landing and smacked them upside the head with a sledge hammer.
    Edited by Vevvev on November 30, 2021 7:06PM
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    curious, there's a slider under audio options for player voice, was wondering does that have any bearing on how others hear your toon, or is it just for your ears only?
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.
    You get to pick your voice on the character creation screen. Pick wisely.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO no, if it was optional OK but I feel it helps with immersion and I like hearing the voices.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.
    My character has a voice?
    (I'll have to pay attention next time I play)
  • lemonizzle
    lemonizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.
    Having a clear audio sampling and testing panel in creator menu would be enough, currently you press 1 button over and over, which does not cover all the sounds that the selected voice option has.
    Then you find out 50 hours in, when you switch to two-handed after using a staff that your character grunts like a dying animal at each heavy attack.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, add that option!
    Vevvev wrote: »

They do use voice actors and you can look at the list for who voiced what. The problem is how they went about making the noises. I doubt they dropped the actor off a cliff to hear what sounds they made upon landing and smacked them upside the head with a sledge hammer.

I know they use voice actors for the NPCs, but is it verified that they use them for the character sounds?

Regardless, however they make these sounds they did a very poor job of it. These sound like wounded animals.
    PCNA
  • Dhaylen
    Dhaylen
    ✭✭✭
    What would be nice is - actual voice options. lol!
    I mean only so much with the yells, I guess - but it feels all the same person for all the 'options'

Daughter created a character and they were all ... kinda - the same. :)

They could be redone - a lot feel 'over the top' (maybe because of the voice actor/actress - it can make a difference)
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, add that option!
    Should never have added all those grunts or a voice option at all to a character that has no voiced dialogue in the first place.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know they use voice actors for the NPCs, but is it verified that they use them for the character sounds?

Regardless, however they make these sounds they did a very poor job of it. These sound like wounded animals.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5558491/#Comment_5558491
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • PullaStormy
    PullaStormy
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, add that option!
    I'd like to turn off other players' characters' voices, too.
    PC-EU - Roleplayer, Quester, Crafter, Furnisher - Fashion Scrolls - 1400+ CP
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, add that option!
    Tryxus wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5558491/#Comment_5558491

Wow... I didn't know humans could make some of these ridiculous sounds.
    PCNA
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.

I know exactly how you get them. You instruct the actor to do their best to make noises if X thing happened to them. Not, "Go out and run for a bit before swinging this stick around." Or, "Fall into this cushioned mat."

It's more like the actors used their imagination with the queues they were given which is why they sound so disconnected from what you'd expect. A lot of those people are professionals, and I even recognize some of the names on the list (Which funny enough to my shock and amazement my character's voice claim was in fact the voice actor for my character!), and that's how you get that kind of performance.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, add that option!

I know exactly how you get them. You instruct the actor to do their best to make noises if X thing happened to them. Not, "Go out and run for a bit before swinging this stick around." Or, "Fall into this cushioned mat."

It's more like the actors used their imagination with the queues they were given which is why they sound so disconnected from what you'd expect. A lot of those people are professionals, and I even recognize some of the names on the list (Which funny enough to my shock and amazement my character's voice claim was in fact the voice actor for my character!), and that's how you get that kind of performance.

And there's always the chance of miscommunication in those cues, or sometime after recording and then matching each line to a situation in the game.

For all we know they told everyone to make a 'gag reel' and ended up using some of the clips from that in place of the boring 'normal' ones :wink:
    Edited by Fennwitty on December 1, 2021 12:39AM
    PC NA
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.
    I don't even notice the voices.
    But the option to turn it off would be cool for those who need it
    Edited by francesinhalover on December 1, 2021 12:52AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    My player character screaming made it a lot easier to determine when that netch boss in Darkshade Cavern was using his Sith lord telekinesis, what with all the smaller netches mobbing him. It's helpful when you can't feel anything happening to the player character.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, add that option!

Well I think they could have made more realistic sounds. The female voices in particular are very nasal. I don't see how anyone could have listened to these and said "That's a wrap!"

Since I don't think there is even a miniscule chance they will re-record these, a mute would be nice.
    Edited by SilverBride on December 1, 2021 2:22AM
    PCNA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't really care.
    As stated before, the list of character sounds is hard to go through, or at least my patience wears out before I get to them all.

When I use Vigor, my Khajiit makes a funny “rawr” sound, it is odd. Not a huge deal, though.

My Orc though - I don’t think I even went through the list with her and she has this rough guffaw of a laugh that suits her perfectly! I laugh every time I hear it. It’s awesome.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.
    I wouldn’t care if they made such an option but I wouldn’t use it myself as I like the voices I’ve chosen for each of my characters and it’s become part of their identity to me. :) Now maybe I would choose to decrease the frequency of certain vocalizations or certain skills but that’s me being picky!
  • PoisonedSweetroll
    I don't really care.
    All the contrary, I'd wish the vestige would talk a bit more. Though is true some of the noises they make are hilarious.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care.
    I must have picked the quiet option, because I don't really remember her making that much noise, much less any screaming.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I don't think there is even a miniscule chance they will re-record these, a mute would be nice.

Interestingly, there have been some new vocalizations and dialogue added recently to NPC guards in Cyrodiil. I've played there for years, and noticed them consistently saying some new things and making new combat sounds a month or two ago. So they do update voices. But I agree that there's no way they will arbitrarily change how our player charaters sound. Perhaps they could give an option to 'enable new voices' or something, and the people who have grown accustomed to how their charaters sound could just choose to not update it.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
This discussion has been closed.