Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A real final boss fight

NoodleESO
NoodleESO
✭✭✭✭✭
How would you feel about a final boss in a story chapter that is impossible to defeat? They just take your character and flick them away like a bug. Would this ruin a story for you or would it increase your want to know more about the story?
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can it be a final boss if it can't be defeated?
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • Astiron
    Astiron
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good prologue quest. I think eventually though you'd have to be able to return and defeat them. Could be a good hook to get you into the story.
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LashanW wrote: »
    How can it be a final boss if it can't be defeated?

If you could defeat everything but that one character why would it not be a final boss?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bug out Molag Kena, and that's pretty much what happens.

Turns out, it's rather frustrating.

You know what else is frustrating?

Being unable to punk Rada al-Saran and Dagon's High Priest before their story-appointed boss fight because they are rendered invincible by standing atop a head-high wall.

Seriously, Varanis has an inferno staff! That has a skill that knocks people off walls. Mirri, Eveli, and the Ivory Brigade all have bows! How can they not hit the guy?

It's like this.
    PVP Devs: let's make a set that pulls players off siege and through walls!

PVE writers: People on walls have invincible plot armor.
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bug out Molag Kena, and that's pretty much what happens.

Turns out, it's rather frustrating.

You know what else is frustrating?

Being unable to punk Rada al-Saran and Dagon's High Priest before their story-appointed boss fight because they are rendered invincible by standing atop a head-high wall.

Seriously, Varanis has an inferno staff! That has a skill that knocks people off walls. Mirri, Eveli, and the Ivory Brigade all have bows! How can they not hit the guy?

It's like this.
    PVP Devs: let's make a set that pulls players off siege and through walls!

PVE writers: People on walls have invincible plot armor.

to be fair Rada could just bat swarm away after getting knocked off the wall, but it would be hilarious to see a cinematic clip dedicated to Molag Kena getting yeeted off the top of the WGT.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NoodleESO wrote: »
    How would you feel about a final boss in a story chapter that is impossible to defeat? They just take your character and flick them away like a bug. Would this ruin a story for you or would it increase your want to know more about the story?

I don't know.. If I wanted to play Dark Souls, I would. Not my style, tbh.
  • drunkendx
    drunkendx
    ✭✭✭✭
    _Zathras_ wrote: »
    I don't know.. If I wanted to play Dark Souls, I would. Not my style, tbh.

Pretty much this.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dragon fight in Starhaven was kind of like that. You didn't make much of a dent in him, and then he got "called away"....
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could face Molag Bal again without the sacrificed power, especially when that person comes back to life and goes questing with me. Still waiting on the DLC where Varen shows up.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could face Molag Bal again without the sacrificed power, especially when that person comes back to life and goes questing with me. Still waiting on the DLC where Varen shows up.

Well...
    You do talk to his Spirit in Orsinium, and he can show up as a spirit in the Old Life Celebration quest for the New Life festival. So I kinda hope he's really dead and stays that way. On the other hand, I sacrificed him to Akatosh, and since that's who the next yearlong storyline look to involve...
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's always a bigger fish. I wouldn't mind it if there's a person or force stronger than the Vestige.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NoodleESO wrote: »

It would ruin the story for me.
    PCNA
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    would be cool some type of nemesis

you would have to run away from it during the open world of his zone
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a recipe for rage quitting to me.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if the 'big bad' was a dungeon or trials boss from time to time. I know grouping up is scary for a lot of ESO players, but it's still an MMORPG, and having a challenging encounter would be awesome for once.
    Edited by SirAxen on November 28, 2021 1:06AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAxen wrote: »
    It would be nice if the 'big bad' was a dungeon or trials boss from time to time. I know grouping up is scary for a lot of ESO players, but it's still an MMORPG, and having a challenging encounter would be awesome for once.

No it wouldn't. All that would do is exclude a lot of players from being able to complete the story arc.

I don't find dungeons and trials scary... I just don't find them fun, and if they forced me into these to complete the story I'd be done.
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAxen wrote: »

It's not that grouping up is scary. It's that It's extremely time consuming and aggravating to join a party with people for the purpose of listening to dialogue. It ruins the story entirely for the vast majority of people.

The vast majority of people aren't getting story parties and are just excluded entirely from hearing story in dungeons. Of the people who do get story groups together, a lot of those will try to socialize with one another. And that means talking OVER dialogue. Then you get in a group that shuts up and everyone listens to the story, half the time people will finish it at different paces. And either making people wait or waiting for others is immersion breaking.

What your left with is only a tiny fraction of the people in this game able to enjoy stories in dungeons and even less in trials.

Groups are great for farming gear or doing crazy boss fights, they suck for listening to dialogue.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 28, 2021 1:25AM
  • drunkendx
    drunkendx
    ✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Groups are great for farming gear or doing crazy boss fights, they suck for listening to dialogue.

Exactly this.

I've yet to see dungeon run where at least half of group did not rush through.

If ZOS would give incentive to listen to story, then people would sometimes do it, but ATM it's impossible to use group finder and actually enjoy story of a dungeon.