The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fixed happy holidays

• MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never forget rule#1 of the confidence game: If it seems to good to be true, it is.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Chips_Ahoy
    Chips_Ahoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to convert a bunch of my 50 million to store things but don't trust anyone in this game.

Have you noticed how many beggars and homeless people are in tamriel?

With a small donation of 50 million gold you can contribute to the construction of Chips Ahoy Cookies and Cream House for homeless, beggars and guars.

You can make a difference!
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never forget rule#1 of the confidence game: If it seems to good to be true, it is.

Sadly ppl seem to turn their brains of when they see these offers and then complain they where scammed by a very obvious scam. Just like "If it works its cool, if it doesnt i let other ppl work on sorting it out for me."
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    ...it's not something they have to deal with at all as they amended their Terms of Service...

The real question is, why don't they spend the literal 15 minutes it would take to code a secure in-game transfer interface for crown trades in the YEARS since they implemented this system???

@ZOS_GinaBruno can we please keep bugging the devs about this?

Make it like the existing CoD mail system. The buyer sends the gold, and the seller gets a message "do you want to sell X crowns for Y gold" with an Accept or Reject button. If they accept the gold goes to them and the crowns to the buyer, if they reject it then the gold goes back to the buyer and they lose nothing.

No trust, no scamming, no real money currency with an unnecessary risk mechanic, [Snip].

It would cost them less than an hour's pay for any halfway decent programmer to copy paste this code, and it would save the company a ton of PR and player frustration not to mention time wasted on the support tickets they do actually bother with not having to worry about crown scamming.

That they have dragged their feet on something so simple for so long which is clearly in the company's best interest is truly mind boggling to me.

[Edited for bait]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on November 27, 2021 6:22PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ...it's not something they have to deal with at all as they amended their Terms of Service...

The real question is, why don't they spend the literal 15 minutes it would take to code a secure in-game transfer interface for crown trades in the YEARS since they implemented this system???

@ZOS_GinaBruno can we please keep bugging the devs about this?

Make it like the existing CoD mail system. The buyer sends the gold, and the seller gets a message "do you want to sell X crowns for Y gold" with an Accept or Reject button. If they accept the gold goes to them and the crowns to the buyer, if they reject it then the gold goes back to the buyer and they lose nothing.

No trust, no scamming, no real money currency with an unnecessary risk mechanic, [Snip].

It would cost them less than an hour's pay for any halfway decent programmer to copy paste this code, and it would save the company a ton of PR and player frustration not to mention time wasted on the support tickets they do actually bother with not having to worry about crown scamming.

That they have dragged their feet on something so simple for so long which is clearly in the company's best interest is truly mind boggling to me.

Because right now every crown purchase is made with real money, if ZOS had an internal system where you exchanged gold for crowns, they would lose money.

I agree with everything you said, [Snip]

[Edited for bait/conspiracy theory]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on November 27, 2021 6:24PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be great if we could actually sell crowns. It would be nice if they made that possible and did away with the gifting aspect. Sometimes I just want crowns to use for multiple small items.
    PCNA
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    Because right now every crown purchase is made with real money, if ZOS had an internal system where you exchanged gold for crowns, they would lose money.

You totally misread the suggestion. Nothing changes in terms of buying crowns with money. I'm not suggesting letting players buy crowns from ZOS. All I am suggesting is adding a secure CoD system for players trading with players so neither can get scammed.

This is why it is so mind boggling to me. The company still makes money from people buying the crowns for other people to buy with gold. The only change is they get better PR and satisfied customers for literally 15 minutes of time investment.

How is this not a thing?

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Edited by WhyMustItBe on November 27, 2021 6:06PM
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We've removed and edited several bashing and baiting comments. This is a friendly reminder that comments need to adhere to our Forum Rules. Please note that derailing a thread with off-topic or baiting comments will result in the thread being closed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Edited by ZOS_Volpe on November 27, 2021 6:27PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Thats why you should use Tamriel Crown Exchange...

Or World Crown Exchange, which is generally considerably cheaper. You can also post a buy order on WCE at the rate you are willing to pay, or look for sellers selling at a rate you are comfortable with. You aren't going to get a "half price" deal like the OP was attempting to do(because those don't actually exist), but you aren't locked into whatever TCE has set as their price, currently 1000:1 (950:1 for Black Friday), while numerous reputable sellers on WCE are selling around 800-850:1.

Just search Discord communities for "World Crown Exchange" to find them.

Those "services" charge gold and are not part of the game, not approved by ZOS and are subject to abuse.

The only 100% guarantee that a gold/crown store item exchange will not be abused, is if ZOS allows for a crown/gold exchange.

Knowing however that this will cost them money, I think its safe bet to assume this will never happen.

How will this cost them money? Someone is buying the crown item, so they are getting the same amount of money as if the gold seller directly bought the item and not using gold to have someone else buy the item for them. Either way, ZOS makes money.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... because there is more to it than 15 minutes of coding. This isn't merely a software feature issue. Lambert says it is also a legal decision. They apparently don't want to take on the legal burden spanning multiple different jurisdictions and laws. Other game companies might do it, but ZOS has reasons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    This isn't merely a software feature issue. Lambert says it is also a legal decision. They apparently don't want to take on the legal burden spanning multiple different jurisdictions and laws.

Does this mean that "gifting" an item isn't the same as "selling" the item, so not bound by the same laws? If this is the case, why couldn't crowns themselves be "gifted"?
    PCNA
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't merely a software feature issue. Lambert says it is also a legal decision. They apparently don't want to take on the legal burden spanning multiple different jurisdictions and laws.

Does this mean that "gifting" an item isn't the same as "selling" the item, so not bound by the same laws? If this is the case, why couldn't crowns themselves be "gifted"?

I am not a lawyer. I have no idea. All I know is what they said, and since they allow gifting, it must be different in some manner.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It is more likely they are referring to the liability aspect of it. If they put a system in place to support it, they take on the liability in every transaction that happens. As of now, it is a player to player interaction, and they can wash their hands of it if something goes wrong. This is also why they use the word "Gifting", instead of Transfer or something along those veins.
    Edited by Kwoung on November 27, 2021 8:57PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't they just gift crowns themselves then?
    PCNA
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Came back to read ZOS' response to the scam, saw forum moderation instead. Leaving disappointed, but not surprised.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... because there is more to it than 15 minutes of coding. This isn't merely a software feature issue. Lambert says it is also a legal decision. They apparently don't want to take on the legal burden spanning multiple different jurisdictions and laws. Other game companies might do it, but ZOS has reasons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Agreed. It would involve substantially more than 15 minutes just to test the coding to ensure it (a) worked and (b) didn't mess something else up, and the coding itself wouldn't be that straightforward in the first place. In addition to the multiple different jurisdictions globally (remember as an example of this the way quite a few countries have to be left out of contests because of legal constraints and the complaints that generates, now think of the reaction of players excluded from an official gold/crown transaction system and left to fend for themselves), there could well be contractual difficulties with Sony and Microsoft over the introduction of such a system on their platforms. I can well understand ZOS not wanting to go anywhere near embracing an official transaction system, and personally would prefer them to put a stop to it but in the absence of that it simply behoves all players who want to get involved in such things to note the "buyer (and seller) beware" warning.
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always use an independent middleman when you trade crowns. Someone like a guild GM etc

If the person you are trading with refuses, then there is a chance they were a scammer

Never trade crowns with someone you don't know on trust
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Agreed. It would involve substantially more than 15 minutes just to test the coding to ensure it (a) worked and (b) didn't mess something else up, and the coding itself wouldn't be that straightforward in the first place.

Yeah, just the QA checks to make sure that it worked properly would probably take longer than this thread has been up. :smile:

(and then it would only take 24 hours for a player to find the exploit that they missed in testing...)
  • Maythor
    Maythor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Came back to read ZOS' response to the scam, saw forum moderation instead. Leaving disappointed, but not surprised.

Yep, par for the course. I got nothing back when it happened to me, I just gave up!
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Thats why you should use Tamriel Crown Exchange...

Or World Crown Exchange, which is generally considerably cheaper. You can also post a buy order on WCE at the rate you are willing to pay, or look for sellers selling at a rate you are comfortable with. You aren't going to get a "half price" deal like the OP was attempting to do(because those don't actually exist), but you aren't locked into whatever TCE has set as their price, currently 1000:1 (950:1 for Black Friday), while numerous reputable sellers on WCE are selling around 800-850:1.

Just search Discord communities for "World Crown Exchange" to find them.

Those "services" charge gold and are not part of the game, not approved by ZOS and are subject to abuse.

The only 100% guarantee that a gold/crown store item exchange will not be abused, is if ZOS allows for a crown/gold exchange.

Knowing however that this will cost them money, I think its safe bet to assume this will never happen.

Zenimax could create an exchange where players offering crowns and players offering gold can make safe trades. This would more likely increase such activity which would increase revenue for Zenimax.

The other safe trading alternative is making it so tradable crown store items could be listed at guild traders.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't they just gift crowns themselves then?

Because crowns don't exist in the game.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Sythen88411
    Sythen88411
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Sythen88411 on November 29, 2021 11:09AM
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean the 2-3 weeks it takes to plan and implement plus extensive testing to make sure it works in all instances.

There is no feature in software that takes 15 minutes. If you do it right and follow the rules even changing the color of a button takes longer.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sythen88411 Have you followed the advice here and replied to the initial response to your ticket? If so, any further update? If not, why not as that would generate a human contact rather than automated response. Whatever you do, don't put a new ticket in, however, as that would simply put you to the back of the queue.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »

You mean the 2-3 weeks it takes to plan and implement plus extensive testing to make sure it works in all instances.

There is no feature in software that takes 15 minutes. If you do it right and follow the rules even changing the color of a button takes longer.

Requirement: write never-ending program to display friendly but meaningless text.
    10 print "Hello World!"
    20 goto 10

But, yes, you are correct. No one is going to go in and just do this. It has to be discussed, then planned and designed, then assigned to someone, then written to the specification, then tested, bugs fixed, tested, more bugs fixed, tested, and finally scheduled for release, included in the patch, tested, and released.

The same thing happens for the hot fix later in the week after the patch goes live to fix an exploit where people get free items, Crowns, or gold.

Generally speaking.

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Requirement: write never-ending program to display friendly but meaningless text.
    10 print "Hello World!"
    20 goto 10

Goodness, that takes me back to my Sinclair Spectrum days of 1983 :smiley: !
  • Sythen88411
    Sythen88411
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Sythen88411 Have you followed the advice here and replied to the initial response to your ticket? If so, any further update? If not, why not as that would generate a human contact rather than automated response. Whatever you do, don't put a new ticket in, however, as that would simply put you to the back of the queue.

I have but said it's double ticket
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you make a new one or update the existing. You must update the existing.
  • Sythen88411
    Sythen88411
    ✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

New
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

New

Well that's why. You should never do that in general, it just bumps you to the bottom of the queue and also runs the risk of being closed for being a duplicate. You should always instead keep replying to the ticket you already have.