The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Warning: this is a rant. Devs, please NEVER put a lead in a dungeon chests ever again

CaffeinatedMayhem
CaffeinatedMayhem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Devs, love y'all but WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL DID YOU PUT A LEAD IN DUNGEON CHESTS?!?!?!?!

Here's my experience trying to get the Crimson Diamond lead:

1. Ask in 5 guilds if anyone wants to run nFH for lead. Response: silence (asked in guild discords too, no response) Multiple days, multiple times of day. No one will ever run nFH.

2. Queue in Dungeon Finder for normal Falkreath: either a 30+min wait for queue, OR group rushes through, skips adds and chests. Can't get anyone to stay grouped so I can go back for chests.

3. Try Soloing normal Falkreath: Went pretty well until Mirri kept resetting Cenuronn or "planting" OUTSIDE the circle so the 3 adds die where I can't run their souls.

Why is ESO so against players coming in when they have time to play and being able to do things relatively easily? Or at least not having companions screw us out of doing the things when other players refuse to help?

Heaven forbid players help other players.
  • KaosWarMonk
    KaosWarMonk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems this would be another example to add to the Frustration at Inability to Solo Group Dungeons thread.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seems this would be another example to add to the Frustration at Inability to Solo Group Dungeons thread.

Honestly, I probably could solo Falkreath up to the last boss, IF Mirri wouldn't keep resetting the boss. Or otherwise screwing over my attempts to solo. I just need to be able to access all the chest locations, not complete the dungeon.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I probably could solo Falkreath up to the last boss, IF Mirri wouldn't keep resetting the boss. Or otherwise screwing over my attempts to solo. I just need to be able to access all the chest locations, not complete the dungeon.

Some folks both here and that I know in game have said that getting her NOT to reset bosses depends on having her using an ice staff? Seems weird to me, but I don't use companions so I don't really know other than what I've read/been told.
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I farmed the lead by myself with only Bastian there to be a distraction. Falkreath is a dungeon you can complete by yourself. Also either don't use Mirri or give her melee weapons, or do the command keys for them so they won't attack or have them attack the target you want.
    Edited by Froil on November 25, 2021 12:27AM
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Holy problem Batman.

With the new port to the boss when someone engages the next boss I can see how getting the chests can be an issue.

I would think dungeon leads should only drop from a boss that needs to be defeated to clear the dungeon. Even trash would not be a good lead source since the dungeons are now designed to skip trash more easily with the port-to-boss function.

BTW, rants are much longer and pretty much just run on. Your post is to organized and concise to be a true rant. We will classify it as constructive feedback.

Edited by Amottica on November 25, 2021 12:32AM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Some folks both here and that I know in game have said that getting her NOT to reset bosses depends on having her using an ice staff? Seems weird to me, but I don't use companions so I don't really know other than what I've read/been told.

If you have either companion set up as a tank (that's what Ice staves are for) they stay closer. However, I need a healer when I solo, not a very bad tank. Apparently in healer setup, all the companions do is keep backing up. Falkreath's first boss does reset fairly early for a dungeon boss, because the "circle of death" means PLAYERS cannot move very far. However, companions are immune to one-shot mechanics, so Mirri just keeps backing up. You know, the bug that was half-way fixed when Blackwood released and now will not be touched for YEARS, if ever again.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have either companion set up as a tank (that's what Ice staves are for) they stay closer. However, I need a healer when I solo, not a very bad tank. Apparently in healer setup, all the companions do is keep backing up. Falkreath's first boss does reset fairly early for a dungeon boss, because the "circle of death" means PLAYERS cannot move very far. However, companions are immune to one-shot mechanics, so Mirri just keeps backing up. You know, the bug that was half-way fixed when Blackwood released and now will not be touched for YEARS, if ever again.

Ah, I see. The things one doesn't know.... Thanks for explaining!
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just curious. Does using a companion count as solo?
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Froil wrote: »
    I farmed the lead by myself with only Bastian there to be a distraction. Falkreath is a dungeon you can complete by yourself. Also either don't use Mirri or give her melee weapons, or do the command keys for them so they won't attack or have them attack the target you want.

Yes let me completely rework both my companions into configurations that are useless to my needs when soloing just so they don't ruin my solo...

I know it's a "solution" but...the better thing is for ZOS to finally fix the "companion keeps backing up" issue.
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devs, love y'all but WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL DID YOU PUT A LEAD IN DUNGEON CHESTS?!?!?!?!

Here's my experience trying to get the Crimson Diamond lead:

1. Ask in 5 guilds if anyone wants to run nFH for lead. Response: silence (asked in guild discords too, no response) Multiple days, multiple times of day. No one will ever run nFH.

2. Queue in Dungeon Finder for normal Falkreath: either a 30+min wait for queue, OR group rushes through, skips adds and chests. Can't get anyone to stay grouped so I can go back for chests.

3. Try Soloing normal Falkreath: Went pretty well until Mirri kept resetting Cenuronn or "planting" OUTSIDE the circle so the 3 adds die where I can't run their souls.

Why is ESO so against players coming in when they have time to play and being able to do things relatively easily? Or at least not having companions screw us out of doing the things when other players refuse to help?

Heaven forbid players help other players.

My friend, I feel you, and hear you! Trying to get guild members to reply, just players to reply in general, is impossible, and annoying. Guilds just want numbers and only the core group of that guild matters.

Specific dungeon finder queues are absolutely terrible. Queue times are abysmal and makes you feel like you don't want to do it.

Are you on console? Xbox specifically? I'll help you grind Falkreath Hold bro if you are xbox of course!
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chrysa1is wrote: »

Are you on console? Xbox specifically? I'll help you grind Falkreath Hold bro if you are xbox of course!

Thanks but I'm PCNA. I suppose I'll have to hope I can run all my supports through on days when Falkreath is the pledge and eventually I'll get this lead 3 times. Some year...
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, I see. The things one doesn't know.... Thanks for explaining!

Ice staffs are also useful for dps, just don't slot the first ice staff skill as it's a taunt.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Holy problem Batman.

With the new port to the boss when someone engages the next boss I can see how getting the chests can be an issue.

I would think dungeon leads should only drop from a boss that needs to be defeated to clear the dungeon. Even trash would not be a good lead source since the dungeons are now designed to skip trash more easily with the port-to-boss function.

BTW, rants are much longer and pretty much just run on. Your post is to organized and concise to be a true rant. We will classify it as constructive feedback.

You'll love the lead in Banished Cells... drops from mobs. The ones I got it from aren't usually skipped, but I solo'd the dungeon anyway.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on November 25, 2021 12:57AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Ice staffs are also useful for dps, just don't slot the first ice staff skill as it's a taunt.

Eh, I've never been much into magicka in ES games, unlike all the previous single-player games I've played, as well as WoW and RIFT. So I just don't "get" it very well.

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eh, I've never been much into magicka in ES games, unlike all the previous single-player games I've played, as well as WoW and RIFT. So I just don't "get" it very well.

The reason the ice staff works well as a dps tool for companions is it lets them be ranged, but they aren't going to roll dodge everywhere either. This is because it can double as a tank weapon. She has 3 skills on her ice staff. The first skill taunts but the other 2 do not. Mirri will also use all of her personal skills and guild skills still with the ice staff.

So if you want Mirri to stay out of stupid by playing at range but still dps, the ice staff is the best choice. All other ranged weapons makes her roll dodge a lot.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 25, 2021 1:13AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason the ice staff works well as a dps tool for companions is it lets them be ranged, but they aren't going to roll dodge everywhere either. This is because it can double as a tank weapon. She has 3 skills on her ice staff. The first skill taunts but the other 2 do not. Mirri will also use all of her personal skills and guild skills still with the ice staff.

So if you want Mirri to stay out of stupid by playing at range but still dps, the ice staff is the best choice. All other ranged weapons makes her roll dodge a lot.

Oh! Well, that actually makes sense. Of course, I just don't mess with the companions (can you even imagine how BAD a companion would be when I have 750ms ping - the pets work okay, but I can visualize how awful another body is going to be with that kind of lag.... mine, not the companion....)

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain stuff that's not immediately transparent to me!
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oh! Well, that actually makes sense. Of course, I just don't mess with the companions (can you even imagine how BAD a companion would be when I have 750ms ping - the pets work okay, but I can visualize how awful another body is going to be with that kind of lag.... mine, not the companion....)

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain stuff that's not immediately transparent to me!

A companion is really just another pet, and acts similarly to them. That said, I have yet to come across content in which a companion was the deciding factor or even helped create a "win". More often than not, it is the exact opposite of helping, and slows you down. If however you want a virtual buddy to do content with and say crazy (sometimes hilarious) things, they excel at that.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

A companion is really just another pet, and acts similarly to them. That said, I have yet to come across content in which a companion was the deciding factor or even helped create a "win". More often than not, it is the exact opposite of helping, and slows you down. If however you want a virtual buddy to do content with and say crazy (sometimes hilarious) things, they excel at that.

Lol, this is pretty accurate, but the occasional off heal when soloing does help. Mirri being able to cloak with a class skill also means she can stay alive through even large world boss fights. That said, it's not like having a companion will make me able to solo vet DLC dungeons, but they can help on normal, especially ones with large trash pulls like Falkreath.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on November 25, 2021 1:58AM
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree. Just got the lead after running it more times than I can count. This was an abysmal lead hunting experience. The ones that drop from mobs are annoying but dungeon chests are another matter
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cmetzger93 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Just got the lead after running it more times than I can count. This was an abysmal lead hunting experience. The ones that drop from mobs are annoying but dungeon chests are another matter

All leads can be incredibly annoying. For me, I spent 48 hours straight picking flowers and picking up water before getting the Wading Kilt lead. I wasn't going to give up, but promptly after getting it, I dug it up, logged off and played other games for 2 months I was so ticked.
  • GrahamJoyce
    GrahamJoyce
    ✭✭✭
    In response to OP - I was also very frustrated with this lead. It took somewhere between 15-20 attempts (some solo and some with a group) before I got the lead. Most of the time it was very difficult to find other people who wanted to run the dungeon and as mentioned, the dungeon finder was little help.

I agree with OP that this was an annoying lead to get and took days of on/off grinding, regardless of whether I was solo or in a group.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have either companion set up as a tank (that's what Ice staves are for) they stay closer. However, I need a healer when I solo, not a very bad tank.

Then tank it yourself, slot inner fire and taunt the boss so it not chasing your companion.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Need more tanks for queue
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oldbobdude wrote: »
    Depends on your definition.

Technically, they count as a summonable pet. Much like a sorcerer pet, and can be commanded as such using Y+Left/Right Click to Attack and Passive modes respectfully. Following that logic, it counts as solo. It's also an AI controlled only by you, the player. So further evidence points to this.

However, sorcerer pets have no guaranteed taunt or way to specifically hold aggro and companions can act -- be customised and have extra skills, buffs, and ultimate (which can be hotkeyed and controlled by the player) -- not in a way like any other pets. Following that logic, no, it doesn't/shouldn't count as solo. Additionally, companions cannot be used in solo arenas like summonable pets can be and they take a player spot in a group (e.g. two players and two companions can enter a dungeons, or three players and one companion; upon more players entering the instance the companion(s) will be unsummoned; unlike any other pet in the game), leading again more evidence to the latter.

I'm not sure this has ever really been a debated topic, though it's certainly a subjective one with varying opinions on what counts as solo.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got one tank with the Treasure Finder passive. I'll use him to look for chests. I'll
    be up front about it. If the rest of the group runs off, oh well.
  • prof-dracko
    prof-dracko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seconded. Did it solo, truly miserable experience. Tried doing it in a pug group, one dropped immediately, one ran ahead and warped us to all bosses and the last guy, despite agreeing to help me look, dipped as soon as it was done. I found the second chest just before I got booted bu8t because we had that one guy speedrunning, all of the enemies were still around and I couldn't open it. A phenomenally stupid design choice. Just make it drop from enemies, at least that actually gives a shot at finding it.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭

maybe just disable miri for the fight? did u think of that?
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions can heal with any weapon, a Restoration staff just adds two heals and a damage shield that can target/affect themselves which makes it more useful; most of their other heals only target others and not themselves. I prefer to use Mirri with 1h and shield like with a Frost staff it keeps her in melee range and won't dodge roll until she drops =< 25% health with a little more armor.

For a non-Restoration staff setup you can do Crimson Font, Blood Transfusion, Life Absorption, Reverse Entropy, and end it with Skeletal Aegis for a second Synergy proc with Undaunted Command, Ritual of Salvation for damage reduction while everything is on cooldown, or Haste for second salvo. With 1h+ shield On Guard for quicker than Skeletal Aegis self only damage shield. With dual-wield you can end it with Razor Cape for a damage over time and damage reduction.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    oldbobdude wrote: »
    Depends on your definition.

Technically, they count as a summonable pet. Much like a sorcerer pet, and can be commanded as such using Y+Left/Right Click to Attack and Passive modes respectfully. Following that logic, it counts as solo. It's also an AI controlled only by you, the player. So further evidence points to this.

However, sorcerer pets have no guaranteed taunt or way to specifically hold aggro and companions can act -- be customised and have extra skills, buffs, and ultimate (which can be hotkeyed and controlled by the player) -- not in a way like any other pets. Following that logic, no, it doesn't/shouldn't count as solo. Additionally, companions cannot be used in solo arenas like summonable pets can be and they take a player spot in a group (e.g. two players and two companions can enter a dungeons, or three players and one companion; upon more players entering the instance the companion(s) will be unsummoned; unlike any other pet in the game), leading again more evidence to the latter.

I'm not sure this has ever really been a debated topic, though it's certainly a subjective one with varying opinions on what counts as solo.

I feel like as long as it’s one human playing it’s solo, even if you command an army of npc minions, pets (permanent or temporary) or AI controlled companions. I think of companions as an additional skill bar with skills I get to select and forget about because they will automatically fire based on the AI. But I do enjoy companions for their individuality, their comments and pseudo companionship too, and I can’t wait to get to know the next one!
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

maybe just disable miri for the fight? did u think of that?
    Maybe OP needs the heals to solo the dungeon. Did you think of that?

OP, I agree that any Lead dropping from dungeons shouldn't be put in chests at all. ZOS already knows, or should know, that a lot of people will just rush dungeons, making it next to impossible for people to check all of the spots a chest can spawn. I mean how many people on these forums complain about people wanting to find chests because it tacks on a few extra minutes? Every single "speedrunning through dungeons" thread that comes up (which is another indication of how often people disregard their group mates in favor of rushing) has at least one person going "if people want to loot stuff or find chests they should do it solo" or something to that effect.

Except what if people can't do a given dungeon solo? Or legitimately can't get friends or guildmates to help them? What about those times when only one chest spawns (I swear I've also had plenty of runs where NO chests seemed to spawn in any given dungeon, but maybe I just wasn't seeing where any particularly hidden ones might have spawned)? The only things Leads in dungeons should drop from is mobs.
    Edited by Arunei on November 25, 2021 11:43AM
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!