The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Is it really bad starting over?

Chelister
Chelister
✭✭✭
I moved to another country and made a new PSN. Since I can't transfer ESO account from one PSN to another. I am considering to start overrun this new PSN account (I haven't played the game in 4 years)

I have 2 550 CP characters. Both have best gear sets from 2017 (Maelstorm, Spinner's swords, etc...) 86k gold and I researched all traits for crafting

What are people's thoughts on stating over given the characters and their possessions I have? How would you feel about it? I need some motivating words to start over :)
  • Peacatcher
    Peacatcher
    ✭✭✭
    I love starting over, done it a few times now (3 accounts on both EU and NA). A fresh start gives you a new outlook and lets you try new things.

My only advice would be not to make too many new characters all at once or you'll spread yourself too thinly and feel like you're not achieving anything on any of them. Well that's how I would feel :) good luck!
    Ps4 EU
  • Chelister
    Chelister
    ✭✭✭
    Peacatcher wrote: »
    I love starting over, done it a few times now (3 accounts on both EU and NA). A fresh start gives you a new outlook and lets you try new things.

My only advice would be not to make too many new characters all at once or you'll spread yourself too thinly and feel like you're not achieving anything on any of them. Well that's how I would feel :) good luck!

This is what I have been looking for. You have the right spirit my friend. Have you ever started over with the same class? If yes, how did you find a new spark of interest to play the character?
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chelister wrote: »
    I moved to another country and made a new PSN. Since I can't transfer ESO account from one PSN to another. I am considering to start overrun this new PSN account (I haven't played the game in 4 years)

I have 2 550 CP characters. Both have best gear sets from 2017 (Maelstorm, Spinner's swords, etc...) 86k gold and I researched all traits for crafting

What are people's thoughts on stating over given the characters and their possessions I have? How would you feel about it? I need some motivating words to start over :)

Depends.

If you just want level 50 again, some good gear and a reasonable amount of skill points, then no, it's not bad.

If you want all your achievements, quests, motifs, traits, collectibles, alliance rank and everything else.... then it is a nightmare.
    Edited by Jeremy on October 31, 2021 9:51PM
  • Chelister
    Chelister
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

Depends.

If you just want level 50 again, some good gear and a reasonable amount of skill points, then no, it's not bad.

If you want all your achievements, quests, motifs, traits, collectibles, alliance rank and everything else.... then it is a nightmare.

Good point. To be honest I have never been super big into achievements and collectibles and I can't even remember what are motifs. What I remember the most and I assume that would be the most important to me was collecting gear sets and weapons and I remember spending months researching the crafting traits, that was a nightmare. Well and of course all the materials that I have been gathering
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not high enough CP to where it will really hurt. If I lost my CP 1,600+ account, my master crafter, and all my purchased cosmetics, homes, and achievement unlocks I'd be completely devastated.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Hlanu
    Hlanu
    ✭✭✭
    ESO has been my main game since launch over 7 years ago and I had to start over three times, I believe. Be it because of hacked email accounts or simply because I needed a fresh start. And honestly, it's not that bad. Sure, I lost all my houses, my gear, my motifs and dyes but I don't mourn money spent and it only meant that I knew immediately what to work on on my next run. Now I only have one character, only work on one house and take it easy. Already back to CP 400-ish after around 2 months and I barely started any story content yet. Seriously, starting over was the best decision I made in a while in ESO. Haven't had this much fun in years.
    Hlanu - Redguard Arcanist
    Tahemet at-Hubalajad - Redguard Sorcerer

PC EU
  • gamma71
    gamma71
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've done it 3 times I've played in all 3 platforms I hate it especially doing pvp stuff like Grand Overlord rank ext just takes so much time. And if play on console doing all skyshards again suck and crafting doing all the research again.....
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. They increased the CP cap from 810 to 3600 some time ago. So 550 is now on the lower end, with 1200-1600cp now considered end-game I think.
    2. Meta gear from 2017 is probably not gonna be BiS. Anyways, grinding Maelstrom seems to be a concern. They added gear drops to the normal version of the arena and are also adding a smart loot system to ensure that you don't need to do too many runs before you land an inferno staff or something.
    3. 86k gold isn't that big a deal to make back, once you get to understand how to make money etc.
    4. Researched traits are a big timegated affair so yes, you will have to do that again. You can reduce the time taken using scrolls etc. which you get from daily rewards, and tbh join a guild ask someone to craft is also an option.

IMO it is worth starting over.
    Edited by xgoku1 on November 1, 2021 5:00AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The gold is easy, especially if you have several characters doing crafting dailies.

What I hated the most restarting on the PC from the PS4 is that I lost all my houses and mounts. And I have lost a bunch (50K or so) Crowns that I can't use at all.

This is an annoying things that ZOS is doing nothing about.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not bad if you enjoy playing the game. Since you are not new to the game, you know how to get things done. :)

Edited by Dojohoda on November 1, 2021 6:29AM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Eiregirl
    Eiregirl
    ✭✭✭
    Starting over is not really a big deal especially if you like the game. There are new players starting every day you just have a little experience that they don't.

A lot of this depends on you and your approach to playing the game and what you want to eventually do in the game and how quickly you want to get there.

Losing gear is not that bad with the new sticker book for collecting gear and recreating it.

Do you want to just quest and have fun in the open world clearing zones?
    Maybe do some normal dungeons and trials and work you way up to vet DLC's
    Are you wanting to shoot for leader boards?

There are tons of things to do in the game either solo or in groups and it is all up to you.

Others can give you their thoughts and experiences they have had. They may have absolutely hated starting over where you might love the experience or they may have loved it and you will hate it.

It all boils down to you and your attitude toward playing the game. Just my opinion.
  • BlueViolet
    BlueViolet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't play on console, but I started over on EU from NA a couple of years ago, and I loved it. As someone said earlier, it does give you a new outlook, and allows you to do things differently than you might have done earlier.

For example, In the beginning, at launch I made my crafter on NA a Bosmer, which I regretted because I had to buy the Imperial Motif ( back then it was VERY expensive ) but when I went to EU, I made my crafter an Imperial. Just decisions like that were new outlook and stuff for me.

Now as it stands my EU account is far further along and in much better shape than my NA one, and I've joined a wonderful guild, with the kind of people I've been looking for since 2014. ( Hey all you lovely Hellfire Heroes <3 )

Starting over was the best thing I ever did. So much so I purchased a second account last year to do it all over again :D
    EU / NA / PC
  • deleted220614-000183
    starting over works for some sort of people.
    if they tend to play tens videogames at once and not focused on anything particular, just enjoy what they like the most and not losing much by often switching and starting from the scratch
    Online gaming market is very competitive and any starting game gives decent opportunity for new players and tends to have very good value and rewards and vice versa, old games tend to be overcomplicated, greedy, running on aging engine causing performance problems and long maintanances - I'm not naming any particular game by name of course.

So you may end up starting over an old game and find out that nothing substantional changed and go somewhere else again.

Edited by deleted220614-000183 on November 1, 2021 8:24AM
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 5 years on PS I started over on PC, in May. It was difficult at first - eg not having sufficient mats to do daily writs - but it wasn't a problem for long. I'm now close to 800CP and my biggest issues are not having the range of furnishing plans yet, and not having the motifs to complete master writs. I do miss the houses and mounts I had, and my friends, but I have new friends and a guild full of people in my timezone finally. Plus my new main is a sorc instead of a NB, which I always wanted. So I'm glad I took the leap.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • leetacakesb16_ESO
    leetacakesb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I started over on a new system and the 2nd time around it went by alot quicker because I had a better idea on what to do. I even did vet maelstrom again on a lower cp level the 2nd time around much quicker.
    Edited by leetacakesb16_ESO on November 1, 2021 8:11AM
    Pc EU- Lady_Hania
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really enjoy the game then it's most def worth it!
    I left a 400ish CP toon on PS due to performance issues, and moved over to Xbox a year ago, my Xbox toon as of today is CP 1367, do it!

Do it for the Queen!
    Do it for King and Covenant!,
    Do it for Blood for the Pact!

and most importantly: Stuga misses you, do you know how long she's been looking for you?
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends.
    For me with all 4 classes Master Crafter and 60/60/60 riding, starting again really isnt an option. I dont have another 6 months to a year just to start over.

But, I dont really have to. I already play on PC. Why would I switch to a console.
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »
    Why would I switch to a console.

Because it is so much fun to start from the beginning. And with new weight rng loot you can really plan how to develop your new chars ;)
  • TimeViewer
    TimeViewer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 1880 in NA with 15 chars, a while back I'd created a char in EU when they needed bodies (Psijic Villa). I left it then started going back to do my daily stable training and get the rewards stocked up, eventually I started playing but mainly for events. It's fun to begin without anything (well, except Plus) and walk through the game again, this time with the knowledge I've gained from NA.

Some aspects may be a PITA like not having all the best gears at hand etc but still, it's fun to go earn it all over again, currently the little guy is just over 200
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, three things...

First, I'd honestly suggest, if you're making the jump from one account to another, start over on PC. Obviously, if your rig can't handle that, it's not an option, but the PC experience is vastly superior to the console option. I'm saying this from the perspective of several friends jumping to PC in the last several years.

Second, there have been some changes, some we've had for a minute, and some that are going live right now.

Drop curation is being added as I type this. What it does is curate a boss's drop tables to only include items you haven't collected. This means, getting those spinner's swords will be faster than it would have been in 2017, and the market on them is going to crash hard. (Same thing's true for any other drop set you're wanting to run. In most cases, you're looking at a maximum of 42 runs in any dungeon until you've literally had every item drop for you at least once. (Not counting monster heads if you're running normal, somewhat obviously.)) This also means, replacing Maelstrom weapons will be a lot faster than it would have been before, as you'll have a full set after something like 13 runs. Getting a new set of Spinner's Swords will, realistically, take you an afternoon of farming the public dungeon or world bosses.

The other thing, note the term, "collected," a minute ago? Last year they added a system called set collections. This lets you reconstruct items at a transmutation station that you've previously obtained. So, if you run a dungeon, and get a BSW BBQ stick, you now permanently have one attached to your account that you can reconstruct at anytime. (There are some caveats, it'll always reconstruct at the lowest rarity it can naturally drop at, you can't reconstruct a trait you don't already know, the cost is based on the total number of pieces of that set that you've collected so far (starting at 75 transmute crystals down to 25 crystals if you know the entire set.)) (Deconstructing reconstructed items returns 25 crystals.) (You can avoid collecting an item if you give it to someone else, otherwise the system is fairly robust about making sure it gets added to your collection.)

Researching every trait will be a bit of an effort, though it should be slightly cheaper now than it was then. The only big hickup there is the jewelry traits, which can get a bit out of hand to collect.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TimeViewer wrote: »
    I'm 1880 in NA with 15 chars, a while back I'd created a char in EU when they needed bodies (Psijic Villa). I left it then started going back to do my daily stable training and get the rewards stocked up, eventually I started playing but mainly for events. It's fun to begin without anything (well, except Plus) and walk through the game again, this time with the knowledge I've gained from NA.

Some aspects may be a PITA like not having all the best gears at hand etc but still, it's fun to go earn it all over again, currently the little guy is just over 200

I started an alt account for that event. Not having + is a serious pain. The rest is pretty fun, though. I agree.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing since console release and recently started playing on the NA server so I can earn PS5 trophies. It's not quite as bad as starting totally from scratch as I have chapters and a few cosmetic items, but as far as character progression goes it's pretty close!

The worst part was 1-50. After I hit 50, the enlightenment it gave me got me to 100cp before it ran out, just a couple of hours play. I didn't have as much time to play after that but I'm confident I could've hit 160cp in less than a day if I'd made an effort. I'm currently in the early 200's with very little time invested and no grinding. Granted, this is during a double XP event but if this had been my primary account I don't think I'd have worried too much about the extra time given how little it actually took.

The adjusted curve with CP2.0 makes a massive diffference if you levelled the first time under the old system. Because I started so early and there's been regular adjustments, earning CP has always felt like an uphill slog so I was honestly a little shocked how easy it is now!

I don't miss all my shiny things as much as I thought I would. I had a rule going in that I wasn't going to spend real life money on the same stuff twice and the only thing I've broken that for was a banker. I don't even regret it because it's such a huge quality of life improvement. For the rest, I'm finding there's a lot I can actually live without.

For me the biggest difference between a being a new player and starting a new account is knowledge. Knowing where to put attribute and skillpoints, what armour to wear, skills to use, food, potions. Knowing to make research a priority and that random normals give a massive XP boost once a day. That shortcuts a whole lot of the game and makes it so much less painful than being a new player.
    PS4 EU
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm cp 1700(ish) and there's no way I'm starting over.

Master Crafter, all the achievements, Zone completions, ressources farmed etc.

Just no... I would rather put that energy into a new game then to re-grind the same game all over.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The research is the worst. 86k gold is nothing. You dont even have to sell stuff at a guild trader to make that money. Most old sets are outdated. Maelstrom .. well, do it again with the new smart loot.

I started over once and it was goood, because i missed a few details on my fist char. So, yes go and rereoll.
  • OnThaLoose
    OnThaLoose
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt find it to bad, myself. I main on PC-NA, have (embarrassingly) 16 toons, thousands of hours played, etc. This month I started a new toon on PS5. I'm not even sure why, I just did it to see how itd feel starting over I guess. In less than a month, Ive now got my Maelstrom perfected staff back, just hit CP300, and am up to like 6 traits research on everything on ps5. Fortunately, I started during the blackwood douple xp event, then theres the witches event with xp. That helped a lot.

So, to answer your question: Some things are a little time consuming, I didnt have imediate friends to make gear for me or anything, but I knew what gear to keep my eyes open for, etc, as i leveled which made it a bit better. But it wasnt too, too bad. Ive been having fun!
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I restarted - moved from ps4 to PC. Starting over is fine. Much easier the 2nd time around because you know what ur doing. I'd also recommend restarting on PC because the game just plays so much better on PC. Quite apart from the add-ons, there is much less issues with skills going off, lag and things like the load times for wayshrines and swapping character are much much better.
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started on PS back in the VR days. I had one character at VR2, some crafting but not all and I had no idea what researching was. On PC now, compared to the others I have little 3 50 characters 405 CP and a master crafter and can't imagine doing it again. I don't even want to start another character on my current account. I have 3 classes I really like Warden, Nightblade and Necro. Others don't interest me, all in their 30's but they bore me.
  • tahol10069
    tahol10069
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did it just for fun. Was away for two years, and now when the game and all expacs were on sale in Steam, bought them for 30 euros and restarted. I grinded so damn much for my old account, and I just wanted to restart and do everything in more relaxed way. I still haven't even bought ESO+, decided I go through all content I can and then pay for ESO+ and do the smaller DLC. I level crafting casually, I don't even bother doing the writs (I have master crafter in my old account and I began hating crafting).
    I have thoroughly enjoyed this. Me and my buddy Bastian go around maybe two hours a day and there is no pressure to do ANYTHING if I don't want to. No thinking about minmaxing or trying to get the most out of sub. I still have only one character, on my old account I was altholic and deleted more characters I care to think about.

I can't say it would be the same experience for you, because maybe you want different things from the game. But for me it was totally worth to restart all over.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 5 accounts, on each PC megaserver. As long as you do not, I repeat, do not play every single account, starting over is not that big of a deal. There is zero reason atm to play eso on more than a single account, thanks to super grindy stuff like CPs, endeavours, events etc.
    Awake, but at what cost
  • Myrm
    Myrm
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I buy a new game, especially if it's a very large and complex game, I tend to play for a couple of days to get the hang of it. Then I start over for a more serious attempt.

As for the question of whether it's bad to star over; that is a silly question really (no offence intended). Of course it's not "bad" to start over. It's your gaming time and your gaming style of play. Do as you want. You don't have to get the approval of other players. There is nothing wrong in starting over.
    PC & Xbox (EU)

I am employed as a member of Emperor Palpatine's Imperial Royal Guard. (Class of 2017, Yinchorr)