The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there a cooldown on plunder skulls now?

BrentBlemish
BrentBlemish
✭✭✭✭
I've killed a few world bosses and I would get normal loot but no plunder skulls. Only OCCASIONALY do I get a plunder skull... I'd say about 33% of the time I get one on kill and never on consecutive kills. Is this a bug or now intended cooldown?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there always has been a cooldown on Plunder Skulls.

It ranges from... I think... 3 mins for public dungeon bosses to 5 minutes for Delve bosses.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

It ranges from... I think... 3 mins for public dungeon bosses to 5 minutes for Delve bosses.

That's just the boss respawn cool down. if you are farming a single boss. I'm referring to a 3 world boss rotation that would guarantee loot every drop. I would kill a boss and get no plunder skull. even sometimes my first kill. Then move to the next boss and maybe get one...

But I figured out the issue, the new daily quest for those feathers from plunder skulls was preventing me from getting a plunder skull on every kill. Once i completed it, skull drops went back to normal. Now ANY TIME i kill a delve boss, world boss, dungeon boss (as long as i am able to receive full loot) I get a plunder skull.

So no... Plunder Skulls are not on a cool down. the only cool down they share is the cool down that determines if you get loot at all on a kill and not just a gold drop.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure there has always been a cooldown. If you burn through FG1 on normal you won't get the plunder skull drop on every boss even if you get the normal loot drop if you do it too quickly.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There has been since it first started in 2016. Pretty much 3 minutes.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just the boss respawn cool down. if you are farming a single boss. I'm referring to a 3 world boss rotation that would guarantee loot every drop. I would kill a boss and get no plunder skull. even sometimes my first kill. Then move to the next boss and maybe get one...

But I figured out the issue, the new daily quest for those feathers from plunder skulls was preventing me from getting a plunder skull on every kill. Once i completed it, skull drops went back to normal. Now ANY TIME i kill a delve boss, world boss, dungeon boss (as long as i am able to receive full loot) I get a plunder skull.

So no... Plunder Skulls are not on a cool down. the only cool down they share is the cool down that determines if you get loot at all on a kill and not just a gold drop.

This is why I use the cooldown addon on PC, and a timer on my phone on XBox. This is how I know if I am engaging the boss before the cooldown expires.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I use the cooldown addon on PC, and a timer on my phone on XBox. This is how I know if I am engaging the boss before the cooldown expires.

I believe the crow caller emote is timed perfectly and has a visual associated with it. So when the crows go away, the cooldown is over.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the cool down? Edit to add I just timed it and in the public dungeons there is a cool down of 5 min to get a plunder skull.
    Edited by Karivaa on October 22, 2021 6:26PM
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Pretty sure there has always been a cooldown. If you burn through FG1 on normal you won't get the plunder skull drop on every boss even if you get the normal loot drop if you do it too quickly.

This is not my experience. I was running FG1 and Crypt of hearts 1 back to back over and over and i was getting plunder skulls on every single boss kill. on normal.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There has been since it first started in 2016. Pretty much 3 minutes.

Not true. Used to be a grind spot where you could get a plunder skull every 45-60 seconds consistently for years. I know because I did at least once each event for about 1-2 hours each. Tried this year and the cooldown is like 2-3 minutes now no matter where I tried. Didn't really time it but I would only get a skull every 3rd attempt.

On the first day needed feathers and thought I would just do a few quick runs in the Alik'r dolmen run to get a few quick for the 50 feathers and would only get one plunder skull every other dolmen. Makes me think the cooldown is more 3 minutes then 2.

Stay safe and happy hunting :)
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no cool down in dungeons, but other than that, it's 3 minutes.

Same as usual.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are definitely cases where I am not getting a plunder skull and should be.

I logged in after dinner and did a dolmen (had already got the gold skull earlier in the day) and didn’t get a purple skull but got regular loot from the end boss. It was the first thing I did after logging in.

I have also been hanging out in a public dungeon and sometimes get regular loot (gold, soul gems, set gear piece, etc.) but no purple skull. I do realize sometimes players come in and trigger the boss too early and you only get gold but that is not what is happening in this particular case.

Also, sometimes the public dungeon boss comes back up after only a minute or so. That seems way too quick. I just stay with one of them now. I used to be able to get purple skulls from 3 or 4 different ones in a row before a cooldown kicked on but now that doesn’t work.

It’s really hard to get a decent amount of purple skulls now with hordes of players just farming bosses as fast as they can and causing quicker resets and making me wait longer to get a skull drop. I’m thinking of just getting the gold skulls now and calling it quits after that. I used to like this event.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not my experience. I was running FG1 and Crypt of hearts 1 back to back over and over and i was getting plunder skulls on every single boss kill. on normal.

It depends on how much time between boss kills. Under 3 minutes and you won't get a skull. Solo, you are likely to not have to worry about the timer, but in something like FG1 with DPS group on normal, you will burn the bosses faster than the timer and not receive a skull on every boss.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s really hard to get a decent amount of purple skulls now with hordes of players just farming bosses as fast as they can and causing quicker resets and making me wait longer to get a skull drop. I’m thinking of just getting the gold skulls now and calling it quits after that. I used to like this event.

I have noticed that it is not only the number of players, but the type of players. I have seen cases where a couple very high DPS builds will simply burn down a Delve boss before anyone else can react. I am sure that this is made worse by the current delay in attacking while the character pulls out the weapon.

There is no need to burn down the delve boss like that.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It depends on how much time between boss kills. Under 3 minutes and you won't get a skull. Solo, you are likely to not have to worry about the timer, but in something like FG1 with DPS group on normal, you will burn the bosses faster than the timer and not receive a skull on every boss.

Nope. I did FG1 in under 6 minutes total with one other person. We did every boss and got plunder skulls from every boss.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience using a stopwatch: 5 min cooldown on public dungeon and delve bosses, no cooldown on group dungeon bosses, 4 min cooldown on harrowstorm reliquaries.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In instanced content where mobs do not respawn (basically group dungeons, trials, and arenas), there is no plunder skull cooldown. In all other areas, they seem to have a 3-minute cooldown.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are definitely cases where I am not getting a plunder skull and should be.

I logged in after dinner and did a dolmen (had already got the gold skull earlier in the day) and didn’t get a purple skull but got regular loot from the end boss. It was the first thing I did after logging in.

I have also been hanging out in a public dungeon and sometimes get regular loot (gold, soul gems, set gear piece, etc.) but no purple skull. I do realize sometimes players come in and trigger the boss too early and you only get gold but that is not what is happening in this particular case.

Also, sometimes the public dungeon boss comes back up after only a minute or so. That seems way too quick. I just stay with one of them now. I used to be able to get purple skulls from 3 or 4 different ones in a row before a cooldown kicked on but now that doesn’t work.

Farm the harrowstorms in the reach and you will get a skull every other harrowstorm as the storms are going down in less than a minute. Sometimes seconds. In this case, the large amount of players is to your benefit. Just get on a fast mount and race around clockwise to the nearby wayshrines. You only need one hit on the boss. I recommend aoe. The harrowstorm skull timer is 4 mins.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah there is a cooldown since the beginning in public and respawning content like delves and group dungeons, although it buggs out sometimes.

I had multiple occasions (not just this event but events in the past) when I went to a public dungeon and killed my 1st boss on that day and the boss was dropping no skull at all, like it was on some cooldown, however that boss was my 1st boss in my 1st public dungeon on that day... And then when I went right after to next boss and killed that, that next one was dropping the gold skull.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have noticed that it is not only the number of players, but the type of players. I have seen cases where a couple very high DPS builds will simply burn down a Delve boss before anyone else can react. I am sure that this is made worse by the current delay in attacking while the character pulls out the weapon.

There is no need to burn down the delve boss like that.

If the boss is lootable then it should not be a problem. I have never got partial loot anywhere else before.

For that matter I’m not high dps but adequate enough that not being able to loot is never a problem. I do try to scale back and not use all my skills so I give others a chance, unless I see all other players are at my level.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA