The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dark Convergence should be an ultimate, not a set!

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
This thing is insanely disruptive and can completely interrupt the flow of a fight. The person activating it doesn't even have to be looking at you. How is this a set, not an ultimate? It does damage, snares, and CCs - all in a big AOE. It's annoying [snip]. And Hrothgar causes me to get stuck in perpetual snare. Even when I die and respawn I'm still snared. It happened to me three matches straight last night and I couldn't take it anymore - I logged off.

[edited for profanity bypass]

Update: I first get wrecked by it at around 2:40. This video is not the worst example of Dark Convergence's problems but you can still see how disruptive and powerful it is. I get nuked just about every time I get pulled. The worst examples I didn't capture because I don't stream every fight. I stream when I can, which is usually for about 30-40 minutes every couple of days.

https://youtu.be/PTJnwrzuI1c
Edited by StarOfElyon on September 28, 2021 4:55PM
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even as ultimate is very powerful - people complain on dragonleap and this is stronger and for free as set, lol :D
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is perfect for stoping zegs and massive Huge groups.
    we asked for help to stop them and the set works perfectly to do that.
    i hope nothing changes with the set.
    if you pull away from the large groups this set will not kill your character. and it will help improve the lag and high ping as well if more people stop grouping together.
    we have been asking for this on the forum for almost 10 years.
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it stays there same too, just fix the wall bugs.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be nice if they fixed the scaling on it. Make it weaker but seriously ramp up the damage done per person in the blast radius.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make Consuming Darkness act like Dark Convergence. Obviously not as powerful as current live version, could work and would make that NB ultimate more viable in many situations. Nightblade in general lack tools for group play compared to other classes. This would be a great boon for the class.
  • Kuratius
    Kuratius
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why the set deals damage. It would be interesting enough as a pure cc/pull set. Don't get me wrong, the damage is pretty nice, and I would probably use the set just for the cc-less pull, but it just leaves me scratching my head why it has to combine 3 skills into one:
    New type of vortex skill+time stop+ magicka detonation.
    Edited by Kuratius on September 19, 2021 2:53AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this exact thought too LOL. Dark Convergence thematically works as a Negate Magic morph.

Negate Magic
    Create a globe of magic suppression for 12 seconds, removing and preventing all enemy area of effect abilities from occurring in the area. Enemies within the globe are stunned, while enemy players will be silenced rather than stunned.

Absorption Field
    Create a globe of magic suppression for 12 seconds, removing and preventing all enemy area of effect abilities from occurring in the area. Enemies within the globe are stunned, while enemy players will be silenced rather than stunned.
    Every 1 second, the globe heals you and your allies for 1038 Health, while damaging enemies for 1038 Magic Damage.

Dark Convergence
    Create a sphere of unstable dark energy for 4 seconds, dealing 1999 Magic Damage to enemies in the area, snaring them for 60%, and pulling them inward toward the center. Enemies in the center are stunned for 1 second.
    After 4 seconds, the sphere detonates for 3998 Magic Damage within 3 meters of the center. This damage is increased by 10% for each target struck.
    Edited by Vaoh on September 18, 2021 7:59PM
  • Nebula_DooM
    Nebula_DooM
    ✭✭✭
    This is not a bad idea actually they should make sets that add ultimates and skills to the game. Although im certain people will find workarounds to make it stick, Zenimax should consider this.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really just a better version of the Templar Solar Prison.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's really nothing about this set that is good. It should never have seen the light of day. As they stated themselves, they couldn't get it to work without making it break the rules - that right there is a red flag that it's a bad idea and needs to be scrapped. I'd probably be okay with the ramping damage radius as long as it didn't compete with something like Vicious Death (since that one arguably requires much more effort to proc) but I don't think anyone that's played the game for more than a few weeks didn't see how bad of an idea the pull was. CCs, snares, and pulls are just about the most annoying thing that can happen to you in this game. And while I agree that hard stuns and maybe a few snares are needed to some extent having huge aoes that do all it all at the press of a button from the safety of a wall?

And let's not even get into the fact that the set is clearly bugged in multiple ways. I really just don't understand how this hasn't been immediately removed from the game.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »
    ...CCs, snares, and pulls are just about the most annoying thing that can happen to you in this game ...
    not true,
    "the Zergs and Large Tight Massive group[s that cause mass death snares and cc's and pulls"

that is what is the most annoying thing that can happen to you in this game, and that is what this set is for and that is what this set stops and helps us and gives us is protection from those things.
    and also, those huge zergs also are the cause of the high ping and horrible lagg, these sets help stop the lag and high ping because it makes people spread out.

these new sets are Exactly what we have been asking for since beta now almost 10 Years of asking for help and we now finaly have the help we asked for.

if you stay away from the large groups, your character wont die.

thank you zenimax / microsoft for these new sets, please please do not change them in any way.

Edited by Gilvoth on September 19, 2021 3:38PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    ...CCs, snares, and pulls are just about the most annoying thing that can happen to you in this game ...

wrong,
    "the Zergs and Large Tight Massive group[s that cause mass death snares and cc's and pulls"

that is what is the most annoying thing that can happen to you in this game, and that is what this set is for and that is what this set stops and helps us and gives us is protection from those things.
    and also, those huge zergs also are the cause of the high ping and horrible lagg, these sets help stop the lag and high ping because it makes people spread out.

these new sets are Exactly what we have been asking for since beta now almost 10 Years of asking for help and we now finaly have the help we asked for.

thank you zenimax / microsoft for these new sets, please please do not change them in any way.

Like the large groups won't use these same sets against you. That's sound logic.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

wrong,

Like the large groups won't use these same sets against you. That's sound logic.

the sets are only powerfull and kill you "if your in a Large group"
    the damage is small and you will not die if you attack a solo player.

so if the groups wear the sets it does nothing for them.

Edited by Gilvoth on September 19, 2021 3:39PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

wrong,

the damage is small if you attack a solo player.

That's not necessarily true because I've been alone in BG and took huge damage from a player using this set. Also, I don't have a problem with zergs in open world - I don't expect to kill five or more players by myself, especially if they are good players. But I enjoy running into groups alone just to see how long I can survive and if I can take a few of them out. That's a thrill for me. I don't need to crutch on a proc set because I can't be bothered to run, dodge, keep my buffs up and wait for an opportunity to clap somebody in the group.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not true,

I don't have issues with large zergs if I can move. It's not the damage I'm complaining about. It's the fact that four out of every six seconds of my time in combat is spent trying to get out of a blackhole. Holding block and dodge rolling is spotty at the best of times and having a huge group drop a pile of convergences around me means they have all the time they need to smash me with whatever they feel like. In the meantime I'll be smashing breakfree, heals, and potions with basically zero effect.

And I have yet to see large groups spread out since these sets dropped. Personally I haven't bothered to run solo or in small groups for a couple of weeks now. It's just not fun for me to get glued to the floor and steamrolled. Zerg surfing it shall be for me from now on I guess. Better to at least hide amongst others and use them as body shields.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would make great Mythic Items, but they shouldnt be regular sets.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

wrong,

Incorrect. Start stacking spell/weapon damage and Dark Convergence hits over 26k on enemies in the center and 13k in the large AoE.
    20210827231146_1.jpg
    (Vicious Death is in there since I pulled the picture from my guild's discord server.)

I've nuked solo players with this set, and after they got pulled in they were being effected by 2 snares and an immobilize for good measure forcing them to dodge roll twice... If they're lucky.

This set's CC rules are incredibly annoying, but it's damage scaling needs to be looked at. It should get the Detonation treatment where it's initial damage is seriously nerfed, but then it's damage scaling per person in the blast radius ramped up to compensate. With that change then you'd be right, but right now I can straight up stomp on a single person with this set.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭

wrong,

Sorry to tell this but you are wrong. A faction - size zerg wil toss dar convergences left and right at a solo player to kill him. That's how zergs work unfortunately.
    It is not like as a solo player you only encounter other solos. Even if facing a duo one of them most likely will have it equipped.
    Zos were very strict about standardising 5pc sets I remember. Now compare the 5pc of DC (snare, pull, cc, ramping up amazingly big aoe damage) vs 5pc of hundings/spriggans/shacklebreaker/hell, even clever alchemist (which was meta last patch).
    Don't try to tell this set is ok as it is because it is not.
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Large groups are running the set all the time and using it effectively against solo players. It's in most ball group comps, including mine.

It does nothing to stop large groups. You can't do that with a set. All it really does is add a bunch of unnecessary free cc to gameplay, which is both annoying and significantly harder to counterplay solo than it is when you're in a large group. Its impact has been the opposite of its stated intentions most of the time.
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thing is insanely disruptive and can completely interrupt the flow of a fight. The person activating it doesn't even have to be looking at you. How is this a set, not an ultimate? It does damage, snares, and CCs - all in a big AOE. It's annoying [snip]. And Hrothgar causes me to get stuck in perpetual snare. Even when I die and respawn I'm still snared. It happened to me three matches straight last night and I couldn't take it anymore - I logged off.

Update: This video is not the worst example of Dark Convergence's problems but you can still see how disruptive and powerful it is. I get nuked just about every time I get pulled. The worst examples I didn't capture because I don't stream every fight. I stream when I can, which is usually for about 30-40 minutes every couple of days.

Added a video to my original post to show just how OP this set is. It will still be a problem after the adjustments because many people will always get pulled by it and the pull itself is also a problem. It completely ruins the flow of Battle and it's super effective 1v1 when used defensively.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Update: This video is not the worst example of Dark Convergence's problems but you can still see how disruptive and powerful it is. I get nuked just about every time I get pulled. The worst examples I didn't capture because I don't stream every fight. I stream when I can, which is usually for about 30-40 minutes every couple of days.

Added a video to my original post to show just how OP this set is. It will still be a problem after the adjustments because many people will always get pulled by it and the pull itself is also a problem. It completely ruins the flow of Battle and it's super effective 1v1 when used defensively.

Said this in another thread, but DC really needs the following change, so that it either

(1) Pulls enemies to an area, and that's it. Nothing else. To secure kills or deal damage, the set has to be followed by CC or Damage from a player skill.

OR

(2) Doesn't pull. It can still apply a snare w/ stun after a period of time and do damage (Though even that's a bit OP, as it's essentially Time Stop + Proxy Det on a set). Or it applies a strong snare w/ damage. Whatever, it just doesn't pull.

Personally, I don't think sets should pull, so I'd rather see the pull removed. But, if the pull has to remain, then everything else should go.
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Kuratius wrote: »
    I don't get why the set deals damage. It would be interesting enough as a pure cc/pull set. Don't get me wrong, the damage is pretty nice, and I would probably use the set just for the cc-less pull, but it just leaves me scratching my head why it has to combine 3 skills into one:
    New type of vortex skill+time stop+ magicka detonation.

"Void Bash" 1h&Sh set (Vateshran) already does this.

edit.
    In fact, I'd rather see Dark Convergeance simply do slow-tick oblivion damage per second. No explosion. The explosion is too similar to Alliance Detonation Skill, and the pull is same as Void Bash. I'd rather see a snaring area of effect (similar to caltrops), but for characters with lots of shields instead of major breach, by doing oblivion damage based on 5% of max health per second. 20 seconds is a long time to escape an aoe.
    Edited by Syrpynt on September 28, 2021 4:58PM
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

wrong,

Not for Nerco's; if they do there rotation right they can kill players 1v1. I've seen it more than once. Not all players fall into this category but a majority would die 1v1 against a necro.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

wrong,

Not for Nerco's; if they do there rotation right they can kill players 1v1. I've seen it more than once. Not all players fall into this category but a majority would die 1v1 against a necro.

Not just Necros, I use this set on my Sorc while solo and gets lots of wins 1v1 by using curse then dropping daedric mines and volcanic rune and letting the set pull opponents into them. Usually don't even need to add my Ult to the combo.
    DC is lot of fun to use and I use it well but in the interest of being able to play my other characters without feeling like I'm gimping myself I'd rather just see the set removed completely.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on October 1, 2021 9:51PM
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭

If you have a certain objective, you can have 4 persons laying overlapped DA effects right on it. That's 4x damage.

It doesn't stop there - because it's a ground DoT, not direct attack and not channeled, the casters can continue to attack and lay more AoEs on the same area. So even without damage, it's like having a free group member doing pulling, stun and snare for you. A group of 4 = 4 x pull+stun+snare zones plus 4 attackers while you're unable to break free.

You might want to try entering that alone and see if you can survive.
    Edited by moo_2021 on October 1, 2021 8:42PM
  • TheS1X
    TheS1X
    ✭✭✭
    It is funny to see how people just leave from BGs because of such sets.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's funny, now that you mentioned it; years ago, I suggested an idea to have Nova do a pull on the synergy as the big problem was nobody stood in Nova and it was so projected. Would have been similar yet still weaker at a large ultimate cost. LMAO

Still; that was before massive position desync. Mass pull should not exist [snip].

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 4, 2021 12:59PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheS1X wrote: »
    It is funny to see how people just leave from BGs because of such sets.

I leave if a teammate uses this set.
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set is basically the much-maligned Gravity Well ability of the great axe in New World
  • moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭

Update: I first get wrecked by it at around 2:40. This video is not the worst example of Dark Convergence's problems but you can still see how disruptive and powerful it is. I get nuked just about every time I get pulled. The worst examples I didn't capture because I don't stream every fight. I stream when I can, which is usually for about 30-40 minutes every couple of days.

Dark-C should pull things to the center based on how “heavy” their armor is. Like gravity and a black hole. That way, lighter squishy armors won’t have to get the center full of damage. Light armor should also provide some protection against “stacking of players” on one another. I think the set is okay but it shouldn’t have the same effect on everyone who wears light or heavy armor. Should have some protection if you wear magical gear, etc.