The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please buff the overworld enemies.

• zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vhozek wrote: »
    RevJJ wrote: »
    No, please don’t. If I want to have difficult combat I go to vet dungeons or trials.

If I want to chill or just farm resources or dig up a bunch of antiquities I do overland content.

Easy split.

My argument is that the journey from level 1 to 50 doesn't feel very accomplishing and it's just a "well it's a matter of time" rather than a "that was tough but it felt good and it was worth it", so why doesn't Zenimax just sell level 50 accounts and get this over with? I also think that if you're a gatherer or whatever, you should probably be careful out in the wild. It only makes sense.

Your mistake is thinking that we can't feel accomplishment with the current system.. your mistake is thinking that we can't feel that we have to be careful with the current system

Well, since you've been reading you probably already know I'm talking about myself. And I did say "should probably" when telling you to be careful which also assumes probably not.

But you yourself just told someone to not speak for everyone, yet you do that quite a lot too.. so now I tell you, on behalf of me and many many other people, that a harder overland is not necessarily a good thing.. there's a very good chance that it will drive away more players than it will attract

I haven't though. And again, I can just tell you that on behalf of many many other people, you're wrong.

Guess we just have to disagree.. luckily though, it seems that the devs have realised that so far, I am on the right of this

And there's the problem. We could just end at that and never get anything done because we both know we can just repeat the same sentence over and over again if we bring other players into our own opinion. Also, the devs initially thought difficulty was a good idea but then changed it, meaning that with enough effort it can be changed again to end up somewhere in the middle. I think the change they made to make the overworld as braindead as I think it is (since you probably need this extra explanation) is just a safe option that they haven't come back to ever since they introduced it. It's definitely safe but safe is not always best.

[snip] Consider that they changed the difficulty because the majority of the players didn't like it.. because the majority of the players like the TES experience the casual way.. it may not be for you, or the percentage of players that want it harder, but it may still be so.. we get more and more players flowing in, so I'd say that the devs are justified in the decision.. they might need to change things in game, but the difficulty is fine.. the players have the ability to alter the difficulty themselves, to some extent, but they want the devs to do it for them

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 10:40AM
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RevJJ wrote: »
    No, please don’t. If I want to have difficult combat I go to vet dungeons or trials.

If I want to chill or just farm resources or dig up a bunch of antiquities I do overland content.

Easy split.

My argument is that the journey from level 1 to 50 doesn't feel very accomplishing and it's just a "well it's a matter of time" rather than a "that was tough but it felt good and it was worth it", so why doesn't Zenimax just sell level 50 accounts and get this over with? I also think that if you're a gatherer or whatever, you should probably be careful out in the wild. It only makes sense.

Your mistake is thinking that we can't feel accomplishment with the current system.. your mistake is thinking that we can't feel that we have to be careful with the current system

Well, since you've been reading you probably already know I'm talking about myself. And I did say "should probably" when telling you to be careful which also assumes probably not.

But you yourself just told someone to not speak for everyone, yet you do that quite a lot too.. so now I tell you, on behalf of me and many many other people, that a harder overland is not necessarily a good thing.. there's a very good chance that it will drive away more players than it will attract

I haven't though. And again, I can just tell you that on behalf of many many other people, you're wrong.

Guess we just have to disagree.. luckily though, it seems that the devs have realised that so far, I am on the right of this

And there's the problem. We could just end at that and never get anything done because we both know we can just repeat the same sentence over and over again if we bring other players into our own opinion. Also, the devs initially thought difficulty was a good idea but then changed it, meaning that with enough effort it can be changed again to end up somewhere in the middle. I think the change they made to make the overworld as braindead as I think it is (since you probably need this extra explanation) is just a safe option that they haven't come back to ever since they introduced it. It's definitely safe but safe is not always best.

[snip] Consider that they changed the difficulty because the majority of the players didn't like it.. because the majority of the players like the TES experience the casual way.. it may not be for you, or the percentage of players that want it harder, but it may still be so.. we get more and more players flowing in, so I'd say that the devs are justified in the decision.. they might need to change things in game, but the difficulty is fine.. the players have the ability to alter the difficulty themselves, to some extent, but they want the devs to do it for them

Not getting personal at all. Again, the change they made was the safest option. There's still room for improvement, especially now that Microsoft acquired them.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 10:40AM
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • seldomseenkd
    seldomseenkd
    ✭✭✭
    Normal/Veteran Overland toggle with increased rewards for increased risk.
    Edited by seldomseenkd on July 30, 2021 10:24AM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veteran Overland toggle with increased rewards for increased risk.

The reward increase is not because risk increases, but because it now takes more time invested to clear the same amount of content. But yes. Veteran Overland toggle with increased rewards is the perfect middle ground.
  • Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO used to be more challenging, before they took away veteran ranks and did this One Tamriel crap. Fighting a group of 3 or more overland monsters was something to approach seriously as you really could die to them. Winning was rewarding.
  • MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just give me a difficulty setting so I can gimp my character to where I can enjoy overland questing again....
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im happy for OP. It seems OP found a game like New World, which accommodate OP´s view on how a game should be regarding game play, difficulty.

ESO do have another direction and a majority of ESO player´s seems happy, with that. Im a cp 1800 player (no I didn´t level by questing, anchors. I did alot of trials and dungeons). I simply don´t agree with your asssesment regarding overland, simply because I see low levels strugle everyday - evenmore on wb´s.

A solution would be like play NW for your needs there and ESO for your needs there - plain and simple. I can quest, do wb´s on my healers and tanks and that how it should be. On my dd´s it a walk in the park, but hey they are dd´s.

Overland is fine as is. ZOS have other issues, who need more attention (bugs not included for a reason but also important).

Good luck with NW
    Edited by svendf on July 30, 2021 11:00AM
  • Mooncat_1992
    Mooncat_1992
    ✭✭✭
    Well if you want more difficulty, play Dark Souls ...
    Why does ESO needs to change the difficulty ? Because you found an MMO that has a higher difficulty?
    Play that MMO then, but stop demanding that ESO needs to change bc of that New World game
    That's basically like saying: hey I like wearing blue tshirts, now everyone needs to wear blue tshirts!

ESO is good as it is considering difficulty. When my daywork is done i'm glad to relax a bit Tamriel and enjoy some fun time there. No need for unbeatable bosses and all. True, some story content is easy done on higher level chars ... but is that a bad thing? Is it a bad thing that a game is just fun? without complicated whatever builds or tactics ?

I dunno but imo there's still challenging things in eso ... like dungeons, trials, worldevents (bosses, geysers, dragons, ...)

My main character's journey so far, has been nothing but a learning curve. Even after three years playing eso I still learn new things, tactics, ... And starting from level 1-50 went pretty rough for me ... Ofc I was very confused that the game dropped me into Summerset back in the day ... I did not know much about the game when I started ... so continued in that storyline.
    I remember that I found it frustrating for not being able to get past a certain story boss... the Sload K'Tora ... the fact that I still know his name means something ... [snip]

I really enjoy ESO now that I can handle Public Dungeons solo if I want to .

By the way, ESO is more than only fighting enemies. Tamriel is a place for everyone, some of us are roleplayers, some like decorating fantastic houses, other just want to hunt monsters, and some have found a second family and true friendship in Tamriel. Have a walk sometime in Tamriel and you'd be surprised by the beautiful liitle things in this virtual escape from the cruel real life world. ... which is to conclude another reason why ESO need NOT to be more difficult.

Real life is hard enough as it is... so it's nice to escape in something more nicer/easier from time to time.

This one wishes you Bright Moons on your path

Mooncat

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 11:04AM
    Mooncat_1992 - EU server - PC

Characters:
    Zino-jo (MAIN - Khajiit NB & Crafter/furnisher)

Guilds:
    Clan Claws - Aetherius Art - De Stamtafel - Dragonia - Imperial Trading Company
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just got done playing New World beta for 10 hours and the difficulty level in that game is amazing.

So you're comparing starting a new character without end game gear and buffs to your current ESO experience and turning that into a problem?

Have you tried starting a new ESO character and not assigning CP or getting gear/gold from your bank? It's fresh starting over with just one weapon skill and trash armor.
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rauyran wrote: »
    I just got done playing New World beta for 10 hours and the difficulty level in that game is amazing.

So you're comparing starting a new character without end game gear and buffs to your current ESO experience and turning that into a problem?

Have you tried starting a new ESO character and not assigning CP or getting gear/gold from your bank? It's fresh starting over with just one weapon skill and trash armor.

Many Many Many Many times. Half my characters are low levels with no gear at all and no CP that I just don't get on because no matter how much I cripple myself, it's still too easy. Also, the reason why I'm already comparing it is because for me, the journey from level 1 to max level is far more important than end game. I think end game is predictable and you already know you're going to PvP or face obviously difficult content. At low level, you are literally low level. You have little to no experience so it doesn't make sense to me that I'm able to just swing until I win to level 50. In that case, just sell us Max level accounts.
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip] Right now i can do 1 heavy attack 1 light attack and kill any overland mob not a worldboss, im at a loss as to how thats fun for people. Whats so wrong about putting a little bit more effort into playing and having difficulty scale? too hard? group up, want to play your healer? group up theres a reason you have 5 guild slots

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 11:05AM
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip] Right now i can do 1 heavy attack 1 light attack and kill any overland mob not a worldboss, im at a loss as to how thats fun for people. Whats so wrong about putting a little bit more effort into playing and having difficulty scale? too hard? group up, want to play your healer? group up theres a reason you have 5 guild slots

I'm surprised nobody has used the same arguments as them on this topic. Sure, we could play naked with 0 CP, or you could play in groups and with companions lol.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 11:07AM
  • corrosivechains
    corrosivechains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad reality is that MMORPG's aren't really MMORPG's anymore, but have become MSORPG's---Mostly Solo Online RPG's---which means any idea that tries dragging the genre back to it's roots is going to be met with massive backlash [snip]

Enjoy the novelty of New World while you can because it'll suffer a similar fate. Humans are becoming more and more anti-social with each new generation, and the lockdowns aren't helping at all.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 12:30PM
    "Could you post me a link to the official MMO rule book please." - clayandaudrey_ESO
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The sad reality is that MMORPG's aren't really MMORPG's anymore, but have become MSORPG's---Mostly Solo Online RPG's---which means any idea that tries dragging the genre back to it's roots is going to be met with massive backlash [snip]

Enjoy the novelty of New World while you can because it'll suffer a similar fate. Humans are becoming more and more anti-social with each new generation, and the lockdowns aren't helping at all.

Tastes change, both within the playerbase of a given game and more generally across genres.

If there is genuinely a market for a "hardcore" MMO then I'm sure this other game people keep bringing up here will be fine.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 12:31PM
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭

[edited for baiting]

Group up..lol.

I am having a hard time getting people to group for world bosses and harrowstroms and you expect people to group for killing overland mobs? Do we even play the same game?

There is a group heavy zone called Craglorn and it's always deserted and ignored because players love playing solo in this game. And that's where majority of money is. The casual solo player who wants to chill in the game.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But that doesn't mean that mmo shouldn't be an interesting solo game. So far, ECO looks more like a visual novel than an RPG.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 12:31PM
    PC/EU
  • corrosivechains
    corrosivechains
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tastes change, both within the playerbase of a given game and more generally across genres.

If there is genuinely a market for a "hardcore" MMO then I'm sure this other game people keep bringing up here will be fine.

This illustrates my point better than I ever could. The fact single-player gamers equate having to socialize with other players, in a genre whose selling point was always socializing with other players, as "hardcore" lays bare exactly why the genre is so stagnant.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 12:32PM
    "Could you post me a link to the official MMO rule book please." - clayandaudrey_ESO
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

[edited for baiting]

Aham,I play on off peak times when barly 10 people are online from 400+ people guilds I am in.
    ''Group up'' is not an option for me because I dont like waisting other people's time with my stuff and if I am not able to complete the most simple tasks alone with any character who have CP and gear then I would stop playing this game.

I heard GW2 has difficult overland stuff where you need to group up for,maybe people should try that game is ESO is too easy and boring.
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭

MMORPG.. Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game.. Never have I seen that it should also mean having to group up, or be related to difficulty.. we are online, and we are many, and it is an RPG.. MMORPG right there

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 12:34PM
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[edited for baiting]

Aham,I play on off peak times when barly 10 people are online from 400+ people guilds I am in.
    ''Group up'' is not an option for me because I dont like waisting other people's time with my stuff and if I am not able to complete the most simple tasks alone with any character who have CP and gear then I would stop playing this game.

I heard GW2 has difficult overland stuff where you need to group up for,maybe people should try that game is ESO is too easy and boring.

Understand that no one wants to discount your gaming experience. I understand that you like the completely laid-back style of play. We're just asking you to give us a more difficult overland option.
    PC/EU
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was around when overland was quite difficult (somewhere between 2014 and 15, when VR levels were a thing, and ZOS buffed the mobs without buffing the players). It was not fun and I had to shelve some of my characters until things changed again.

Overland/questing difficulty is fine as it is.
    PC-EU
  • Togal
    Togal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Y ZENI DON'T FOCUS ON MORE IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE STAM WHIP! WHERE IS MY STAM WHIP N HUMAN MOUNTS!
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Togal wrote: »
    Y ZENI DON'T FOCUS ON MORE IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE STAM WHIP! WHERE IS MY STAM WHIP N HUMAN MOUNTS!

In the same place as forse pulse stamina
    PC/EU
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[edited for baiting]

Understand that no one wants to discount your gaming experience. I understand that you like the completely laid-back style of play. We're just asking you to give us a more difficult overland option.

There's only ever one Overland option.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ESO is going to be a visual novel then they at least need to start improving the writing and create better dialogue options.
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malthorne wrote: »
    If ESO is going to be a visual novel then they at least need to start improving the writing and create better dialogue options.

I agree that more dialogue could be fun.. I also see though that it would most likely be a costly affair to them, and that it could be difficult to implement properly when its not a singler player game
  • JoDiMageio
    JoDiMageio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does everything have to be difficult or challenging?

What's great about ESO is that it has content for everyone, from the solo quester to the PvPer to the endgamers. Diversity is not bad, and it simply means that players who want to experience more challenge should go toward that content.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got done playing New World beta for 10 hours and the difficulty level in that game is amazing. ESO is my first MMO and New World would be my second so I don't know if it's normal but, certain areas had specific level enemies and they just completely destroyed me every time I tried to fight them.

Yes, it's typical for MMOs to have set levels in each zone, and a progression through them. i.e, Zone 1 is lv1-10, Zone 2 is lv11-20, etc.

ESO was actually like that before One Tamriel update. You progressed through the five zones of your chosen faction, following the Main Story (and each zone's story) as you went. You then did Coldharbor. You then did Cadwell's Silver, going through a second faction at Veteran lv1 - Vet lv?; and then Cadwell's Gold, going through the third faction up to Veteran lv16.

People asked for them to change that, because the couldn't 'go wherever' like in the TES games, and because the playerbase was split up (with all the people instanced into different factions depending on whether they were first/silver/gold run).

IF THIS GAME IS NOT ABOUT THE JOURNEY, THEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL START SELLING MAX LEVEL CHARACTERS IN THE SHOP.

Well, this one you can argue with the "the game only starts at level cap/endgame!" crowd, who think that leveling and questing is an obnoxious burden put on them by the devs wasting their time, RushRushRush to cap, we want to Raid & PvP[snip]

It's just impossible to ignore how good it feels to get your ass kicked by basic enemies but coming back a few minutes later to match or straight up beat them.

Not everyone is in to that.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2021 1:09PM
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JoDiMageio wrote: »
    Why does everything have to be difficult or challenging?

What's great about ESO is that it has content for everyone, from the solo quester to the PvPer to the endgamers. Diversity is not bad, and it simply means that players who want to experience more challenge should go toward that content.

It’s not for everyone in current form. I can’t imagine player who enjoy vet dungeons and trials or pvp having fun doing quests that require no effort, skill or thinking. And that’s majority of new dlc content. And please stop bringing this “if you want challenging content go do trial or dungeons” that’s what players who request difficult overland do already. But this is such a small part of this game and it does require a group to enjoy it. I want to have fun solo by doing quests outside of raids but i can’t because how trivial it is.
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tonyblack wrote: »
    I want to have fun solo by doing quests outside of raids but i can’t because how trivial it is.

I'm sorry, but no reasonable overland difficulty level is going to challenge someone used to doing raids, with high end gear - the only way to do that would be to make every overland encounter on par with what you'd find in a trial or in vet dungeons.

I'm sure the issues this would cause for everyone else are obvious.
    Edited by Ghanima_Atreides on July 30, 2021 1:34PM
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.