The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Make use of AI path finding for houseguests and pets to avoid going right through obstacles

PseudoHyena
PseudoHyena
Soul Shriven
I think there should be an option to use path finding to create more interesting paths for houseguests and pets, so they won't go right through objects. The way I suggest it to work is that path finding should preferable way of going, but if they can't find path to a particular location a default way should be used.
As a gameplay developer myself I'm sure it's easy to do.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

As a gameplay developer, you should know that pathfinding is one of the more complicated things in any 3d game, especially with dynamically placed objects.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • PseudoHyena
    PseudoHyena
    Soul Shriven
    thorwyn wrote: »

As a gameplay developer, you should know that pathfinding is one of the more complicated things in any 3d game, especially with dynamically placed objects.

It is not one of the more complicated things to do by any means, especially nowadays, at least not from implementation stand point, more of optimization, but that's another story. But the thing you didn't consider is that it is already implemented and functions in the game, and that's what I meant by easy to do: you just need to call those functions, that move NPCs to their destination, here as well.