The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Is it true that companions are really weak in PVE?

mickeyx
mickeyx
✭✭✭✭
I have been watching lot of youtube videos and reading feedback. So far it seems that companions are nothing more than some fluff you can dress up and talk to. The only reason i wanted to buy the new chapter was because of the companion feature. The ability to solo world bosses, public dungeons with companions, and fill up a spot for dungeons in case you can't find more people to play with to save time was the main attraction for me. So what's your opinion so far? would you recommend Blackwood to a returning casual player like me who loves soloing and want to complete content with minimum downtime?
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait till it’s live.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mickeyx wrote: »
    I have been watching lot of youtube videos and reading feedback. So far it seems that companions are nothing more than some fluff you can dress up and talk to. The only reason i wanted to buy the new chapter was because of the companion feature. The ability to solo world bosses, public dungeons with companions, and fill up a spot for dungeons in case you can't find more people to play with to save time was the main attraction for me. So what's your opinion so far? would you recommend Blackwood to a returning casual player like me who loves soloing and want to complete content with minimum downtime?

I am not a “professional” tester so these are just my impressions from the pts.

Companions are very squishy, even geared out as a tank they die fairly quickly.

DD wise they are “meh”.

I am going to make the male imperial a healer with every other ability aimed at keeping himself alive.

With the dark elf I will make her a bow dd. But again with a healthy emphasis on her own survival.

At range I hope they stay up longer, but at the same time I am not expecting them to stay up long. Neither of them are going to open up new aspects of the game I could not have done before.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup

PC EU
    PvP only
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    mickeyx wrote: »

I am not a “professional” tester so these are just my impressions from the pts.

Companions are very squishy, even geared out as a tank they die fairly quickly.

DD wise they are “meh”.

I am going to make the male imperial a healer with every other ability aimed at keeping himself alive.

With the dark elf I will make her a bow dd. But again with a healthy emphasis on her own survival.

At range I hope they stay up longer, but at the same time I am not expecting them to stay up long. Neither of them are going to open up new aspects of the game I could not have done before.

This is what I was afraid of. Thank you. I will pass and come back to the game in the future if they ever update companions and make them useful. So much hype around companion and this is what we get.
    Edited by mickeyx on May 30, 2021 10:04PM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're going to die ALOT so don't fret over them, don't rely on them to complete content, don't worry about resurrecting them, don't get frustrated by their inability to act, and don't treat them as another player. Instead treat them like Daedric Pets, NPC followers you get from quests, or as bonus abilities while they're alive. The less you pay attention to them, the better your experience with them around will be.
  • AlgolStar
    AlgolStar
    ✭✭✭
    They're going to die ALOT so don't fret over them, don't rely on them to complete content, don't worry about resurrecting them, don't get frustrated by their inability to act, and don't treat them as another player. Instead treat them like Daedric Pets, NPC followers you get from quests, or as bonus abilities while they're alive. The less you pay attention to them, the better your experience with them around will be.

That felt like cracking a skittle in your mouth and then realizing it was some insect, not a candy. ;/
    Edited by AlgolStar on May 30, 2021 10:11PM
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wait till it’s live.

I will keep an eye on the forums and see what's the feedback like after release.
  • Aaxc
    Aaxc
    ✭✭✭
    Naked companions are pretty squishy, that's true. But I'm yet to test one with full golden gear though. So impossible to say for now.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking at it this way. If they fire off one shot, then die, they did more dps than if I hadn't used them at all, at least in theory. For any sort of content without any real group size limits this will be mostly true so if you solo overland, then it's more damage/healing/tanking than you would have done on your own. Expect them to die (often) and be surprised if they do well and you won't be disappointed.

In group dungeons and trials, they should be outclassed by another player, but people will surely find some uses for them there as well. If they could stand on pressure plates, I would have been much more impressed, although they could just remove the pressure plates from AA and Direfrost and accomplish the same goal.
    Edited by redspecter23 on May 31, 2021 7:48AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaxc wrote: »
    Naked companions are pretty squishy, that's true. But I'm yet to test one with full golden gear though. So impossible to say for now.

I thought most people who tested them at all tested them in max gear.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

"Awesome" to you solely for referencing Little Bobby Tables. :)

exploits_of_a_mom.png
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking at it this way. If they fire off one shot, then die, they did more dps than if I hadn't used them at all, at least in theory.

That's true, of course, but if the companion hadn't done 1x damage before dying, then the fight would have just lasted a few seconds longer for me as solo player. This is just a "drop in the bucket" and doesn't really make companions what many have hoped for.

But despite everything, I'm looking forward to tomorrow (or the day after tomorrow, when the game will be playable again) and the release of companions.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All of this.

They are mostly for playing dress up and blocking quest givers and crafting stations.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    They are mostly for playing dress up and blocking quest givers and crafting stations.

Blocking craftig stations and quest givers does not seem to be an issue, they are not Warden bears - they behave a lot better and move to the side.

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Awesome" to you solely for referencing Little Bobby Tables. :)

exploits_of_a_mom.png
    LOL, now it was some guy who bought the car registration plate NULL, his plan was that he would not get speed tickets from automated speed traps and similar as they would bug out on his number who is database term is empty record.
    He ended up getting all the tickets for cars with no registration plate, or it could not be read.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when companion die do you need to summon them from quickslot again
    or do they become like in skyrim, crouching till they back
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did fully gear Bastian on PTS as a tank,went to kill a Blackwood worldboss with him,after 30 seconds he died :/
    Conclusion: my sorc pets are still better.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried ("tested" would be too much) Bastian at lvl 7 in some Overland content and my impression is that he is moderately useful against trash mobs and delve bosses. Made about the same damage of a clannfaer and healed a bit.
    He was utterly useless against WB's: more often died quickly and, if he survived, that was cause he kept out of the way leaving my toon to deal with the monster.

Maybe things will change at higher lvls and/or with better gear, who knows?

As an aside: his interaction annoyed me; too much empty small talk, so I set it at minimum. As far as I have seen, he enjoyed combat and kill, which make him to like me. Other things, like harvesting, had no effect.
  • HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭
    When players answer the original poster's question, they should specify which version they were testing. For their answer to be useful, they need to have tested v7.0.4. You see, when I tested the initial Update 30 (v7.0.0), the companions were very squishy, dying almost immediately during all adventures. But ZOS made some changes to the companions to make them more hardy. When I tested again after v7.0.4, the companions were much, much better. After v7.0.04, my companion died only one time during our adventures, which included public dungeons, solo world bosses, dolmen, and delves. So thanks ZOS for responding to tester feedback and improving companion survivability.

But will a companion help you with game content??? I only got my companion to level 8.5 and only had the basic companion gear (which may be purchased from NPC vendors). I don't know if a companion is better help at higher levels, but at that level the companion was really not a significant helper. I was just happy that my companion no longer died. To answer your question reliably, we would need to hear from someone who got their companion to maximum level (level 20), equipped in purple-quality gear. From my testing so far, I would guess that a fully-developed companion may be some help, but in no way a substitute for a "real" player.
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I hope for is that ZOS tunes the companions over time. I also hope that if we complete the quests they gain power and survivability. I don't want them to be as tough as players. I do want to take the companions into normal dsa (for example) and expect them not to die in five seconds.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't watched a lot about them, from what I've seen you can out DPS them while fighting mobs/WB they are rendered mute but I will have one and maybe go with Tank so they can keep agro and I can just cut away without having to worry about healing
  • BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're never going to be anything close to as good as having an actual player with you so if anyone is expecting that then just forget it. Maybe they can outperform the classic light attack spammer that you can occasionally find in the dungeon finder but even here I have my doubts.
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You can't have golden gear on them, purple max. You can't even upgrade their gear yourself like your own gear, you have to be very lucky on drops, or buy them on the market
  • StamPlar_1976
    StamPlar_1976
    ✭✭✭✭
    Save your money OP. You will have less disappointment.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow wrote: »
    when companion die do you need to summon them from quickslot again
    or do they become like in skyrim, crouching till they back

When they die, you have two choices:

1) Use a Soul Gem to revive them like you would a player, and break in-game story about Souls.
    2) At the end of combat, they pop right back up and join at your side.
    3) I know I said two, but this one is stupid. If you die then your Companion will mourn your dead body until you rez. If there's a mob nearby that you were in combat with, it will sometimes STAY in combat with your Companion who is mourning your dead body waiting for you to get back up, BUT you cannot rez because the mob and Companion are keeping you in combat.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on May 31, 2021 12:16PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weirdly what I was most disappointed about with the companions was not how terrible they were in combat. They are terrible in combat.

It was this;

https://youtu.be/s0XcDi9ZrBc

Do you see those non combat interactions? As far as I can tell they don’t really exist. Companions don’t really interact with the environment when not in combat. They will walk over stuff, follow you upstairs, etc, but that is about it.

At a bar they don’t drink, they don’t sit down, they just stand there really.

Like that bit around the 30 second mark? That to me feels very deceiving compared to what they are like in game.
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've tested them all the way up through 7.04, in purple gear with spec'd traits. They are still very weak. They don't die as often but they still stand in red and pull aggro, whether they have a taunt slotted or not. Their dps is meh. They do make ok healers. They can tank but you will need to slot heals that will keep the both of you alive.
    Their gear is a rare drop that only drops when you are using them.
    They have 0 inventory for gear of their own.

They have 3ish voices lines when you ask them about themselves
    Maybe 10 total when you ask them how they feel about you. Depending on rapport level
    They have 10-15 random world lines and combat lines.

After you have heard those then it's all on repeat.
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crazepdx wrote: »
    I've tested them all the way up through 7.04, in purple gear with spec'd traits. They are still very weak. They don't die as often but they still stand in red and pull aggro, whether they have a taunt slotted or not. Their dps is meh. They do make ok healers. They can tank but you will need to slot heals that will keep the both of you alive.

Maybe 10 total when you ask them how they feel about you. Depending on rapport level

Looking forward to summoning mine just for the drops to sell. After I kill the game sound and put on some albums in winamp it should not be so tedious :).
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    crazepdx wrote: »

Looking forward to summoning mine just for the drops to sell. After I kill the game sound and put on some albums in winamp it should not be so tedious :).

This^^^^^^^^.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing but more grind fodder with limited and annoying functionality. No thanks. :/