The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So what happened yesterday?

StabbityDoom
StabbityDoom
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Are we going to be told what happened to cause the extra outage? Or what was changed in the maintenance, if anything?
PC/NA
EHT zealot
streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've rarely/never seen that with 'extended' maintenance on this or other games, so... doubt it?

edit: and what do you expect them to say? "There was a hiccup in <database process X>, so we had to do a full reinitialize/reload of <database process Y>"?
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on May 18, 2021 3:55PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a two step process. Turn it off and on again.

Step 1: Turn the servers off. This part went over flawlessly. Bob was successfully able to find the off switch and toggle it to the off position, effectively shutting off the servers.

Step 2: Turn it back on. Bob, being the evil genius that he is, removed the on/off button once he had turned it off and held it ransom. Without the button, nobody at ZOS was able to turn it back on. Once they identified this issue, they wanted to let us know right away so they extended the downtime. Then came time to meet Bob's demands. He insisted on a fancy wedge of cheese imported directly from Saskatchewan. ZOS with all the power of Microsoft backing them, arranged transport of the wedge via the fastest method possible. A highly trained goose. It turns out that even the fastest goose in the world can only travel so fast so 3 hours later, Bob had his cheese, ZOS had the button and we were back in the game!
  • Ceejengine
    Ceejengine
    ✭✭✭
    Coding is complex. Sometimes you need extra time to make sure whatever you're fixing is actually fixed.

I can promise you 100% that no one who works at Zenimax extended the maintenance maliciously.

They are doing the best they can to keep up with the huge number of players going out in Tamriel and finding broken things (or breaking things.)
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i don't know what it was, but if this hotfix requires another downtime it will be disaster...
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7259617#Comment_7259617
  • khyrkat
    khyrkat
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care as long as game is functional ;) besides, why would they tell us? Something apparently *** up during maintenance so they extended it, no big deal. Finally I did my shopping, house cleaning and stuff when I couldn't play as planned haha

A highly trained goose. It turns out that even the fastest goose in the world can only travel so fast so 3 hours later, Bob had his cheese, ZOS had the button and we were back in the game!

They should've hired a fox. They're faster :D

• trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was maintenance. Downtime is an estimate but doesn’t always ascribe to a set schedule. [snip]

[Edit for Baiting.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 18, 2021 5:57PM
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I demand to know why they are starving the poor hamsters, regardless of what you all say to dissuade me! ;)
    Edited by StabbityDoom on May 18, 2021 4:08PM
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I was working. When I was done for the day I turned on my personal computer and logged into the game.

Oh! You mean the extended down time. Well something wasn't working the way they wanted, and it took a bit longer to fix.
  • ganzaeso
    ganzaeso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I worked from 8 am ET to 5 pm ET. Got home dog tired and fell right to sleep until midnight.
  • ThoughtRaven
    ThoughtRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ceejengine wrote: »
    Coding is complex. Sometimes you need extra time to make sure whatever you're fixing is actually fixed.

Haha. Yeah let me tell you how much faith I have that anything ZoS did actually "fixed" anything.
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ceejengine wrote: »

Haha. Yeah let me tell you how much faith I have that anything ZoS did actually "fixed" anything.

Well, maybe you should ask your new pet that just got home from the vet what "fixed" really means. :)
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Step 1: Turn the servers off. This part went over flawlessly. Bob was successfully able to find the off switch and toggle it to the off position, effectively shutting off the servers.

Step 2: Turn it back on. Bob, being the evil genius that he is, removed the on/off button once he had turned it off and held it ransom. Without the button, nobody at ZOS was able to turn it back on. Once they identified this issue, they wanted to let us know right away so they extended the downtime. Then came time to meet Bob's demands. He insisted on a fancy wedge of cheese imported directly from Saskatchewan. ZOS with all the power of Microsoft backing them, arranged transport of the wedge via the fastest method possible. A highly trained goose. It turns out that even the fastest goose in the world can only travel so fast so 3 hours later, Bob had his cheese, ZOS had the button and we were back in the game!

I am thoroughly convinced that this is the only explanation for yesterdays down time. Even if ZOS comes out with an official statement attempting to claim that the down time was caused by something else, I won't believe them. It was Bob. Bob and his cheese.

I'm pretty sure Bob also drops cheese into the server occasionally causing lag and other unfortunate issues. That, or he shuts the fans off and makes a grilled cheese on top of them.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they need to really really really upgrade that hardware...
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PigofSteel wrote: »
    I think they need to really really really upgrade that hardware...

Maybe that's what they were doing and one of the connectors didn't plug in right.
    The Moot Councillor
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Are we going to be told what happened to cause the extra outage? Or what was changed in the maintenance, if anything?

To answer your question .... Nope

:#
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Praise Bob!
  • ForeverJenn
    ForeverJenn
    ✭✭✭
    There are problems with the mail for some players. You try to send them mail and it says their mailbox is full. Your friend looks at their inbox to clear it and it doesn't show any mail to delete. It is a problem and they are trying to fix it.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all the companions on pts banded together and tried to escape into the live servers, but all the Mirris and Bastiens were finally thwarted in their attempt because of the red areas the programmers hastily put between the pts and live. We know companions can’t resist standing still in red zones.
  • attrielub17_ESO

I'm pretty sure Bob also drops cheese into the server occasionally causing lag and other unfortunate issues. That, or he shuts the fans off and makes a grilled cheese on top of them.

I mean, I used to make quesadillas on top of my monitors. Seems only fair that bob gets his turn!
  • Torinick
    Torinick
    4th questgiver in Markarth disappeared. so yeah, som ting wong. And I agree, I think it was Bob.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It was maintenance. Downtime is an estimate but doesn’t always ascribe to a set schedule. [snip]

[Edit for Baiting.]

You are a smart one my friend. From all of us that work in IT or with SQL databases or any related field, we appreciate you for understanding this most basic concept. I can tell you probably encounter very few layer-8 issues in your life, so kudos!
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[Edit for Baiting.]

You are a smart one my friend. From all of us that work in IT or with SQL databases or any related field, we appreciate you for understanding this most basic concept. I can tell you probably encounter very few layer-8 issues in your life, so kudos!

I mean do you expect an answer that explains it to the detail that someone working in IT or with SQL databases would understand or would you just accept that like with pretty much every maintenance that has ever gone down in this game that ZOS isn’t going to give you a full work up of what happened.

Heck the best response players ever got regarding server issues is probably when they instituted a queue system during anniversary pre-Elsweyr for PC EU due to the servers being unable to handle the influx of new players.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/467936/pc-eu-server-update-april-11/p1

Even that response is small and also uncharacteristic. So I guess what I’m really getting at is why do you expect a detailed explanation for something that has been routine for years that everyone in the forums is used to?
  • Ratpack
    Ratpack
    ✭✭✭
    come on, it was just three extra hours on pc eu. not that bad.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *angry wife [playerbase] turning on the light as soon as you [ZoS] try to sneak in after an extended maintenance*
    "So what happened yesterday?"
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr