The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Unlock all quest-only areas as one update across the board

Jacozilla
Jacozilla
✭✭✭✭✭
There are only two kinds of books for collectors - those you can obtain anytime (including some books fixed to allow obtaining after quest done in alternate location), and those forever locked out because can’t re-enter a room, cave, dungeon, etc after quest is over.

Instead of fixing some and ignoring others, a constant mix of inconsistent treatment of books you can and can’t get, I’d like zos to simply change all areas to be re-enterable at any time. What is the worst that would happen? You re-fight some quest boss?

No one is going to farm quest bosses for xp, loot, etc that can’t be done far more efficiently other ways.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on March 21, 2024 7:19PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know of any books that are locked in rooms you can no longer re-enter. Can you give an example of one? And why not just pick it up when you do the quest anyway?
    PCNA
  • Jacozilla
    Jacozilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know of any books that are locked in rooms you can no longer re-enter. Can you give an example of one? And why not just pick it up when you do the quest anyway?

There are so many, am surprised you haven’t run across this. But ok, as one example - mystic visions of the guardians, lorebook found only in special instance room of Elinhir Sewers in Craglorn zone.

The sewers are accessible anytime, but the apex stone room is only available during the apex stone quest. Once you exit room, can’t go back to read book.

As to why not pick up during quest - sure, this would be ideal solution but
    A) ppl including myself are human and sometimes make mistakes, and forget
    B) even if you assume perfection, it is always someone’s first time at something and ppl may not even know there is a boom to get

Even using addons, like lore books addon, new zones don’t get updated for awhile so if you do a quest only book and miss it, too bad.

In most base zones of the game (e.g. non DLC, base game zones like malabal tor, craglorn, etc), there is usually at least one and many time multiple quest only rooms, delves, etc that have these boos locked out. There is in fact a gigantic thread that is one of the longest running continual forum posts (non-necro) that tracks which books are fixed and therefore obtainable and which still locked out https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/467821/eidetic-memory-bugs-comments-help-volume-two/p1
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is one in that zoo in Summerset. On my very first day in the game I stumbled upon the area and did the quest, but I didn't see the book. Now the door behind which that book resides can't be opened anymore. I'm sure there are many other examples for this.
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some book being still completely unreachable, but generally when a place is locked out the politic is to have the book placed elsewhere for you to pick (no hints on where and sometimes a location you don't remember anymore)... have a check at the big eidetic memory bug thread, it's constantly being updated.

For the summerset one, i can assure you can jump back inside the zoo... i missed the book and was able to get it by jumping across a fence, not easy but absolutely doable. Most probably sooner or later (if not already) a copy of the book will be placed outside the zoo.
    Bugged books being fixed are rarely mentioned in patches but they *are* handled (i recently got a bugged book in greymoor caverns which had finished under a crate - it has been moved over a counter)... the issue is checking for them and being able to find them, as lorebooks and other addons cannot guess where they are until someone discovers them and take the time to share the info.

Soon (this is specifically mentioned in one of the recent pts patches) we'll be able to finally get the infamous unsigned tome of the undaunted. Those of us which didn't read the book before doing the quest misses it since ever...

As far as i know, if a book is bugged sooner or later will be addressed and a copy moved in a reachable place.

Edited by proprio.meb16_ESO on May 6, 2021 3:48PM
  • Zaryin
    Zaryin
    ✭✭
    joerginger wrote: »

There is one in that zoo in Summerset. On my very first day in the game I stumbled upon the area and did the quest, but I didn't see the book. Now the door behind which that book resides can't be opened anymore. I'm sure there are many other examples for this.

I don't know about the exact book that you have still missing but I had two to collect inside the zoo and I had already completed the quests so I had the same problem with the closed door. Somewhere I read that you can jump over the wall from the top of the mound in the inside of the dunerippers' pen to the left of that closed door. It worked for me, I could enter the area and collects the books.
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion! :)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of these books are in multiple spots, even in multiple zones. So even if one is locked in one spot, you may be able to find it somewhere else.

I wouldn't have noticed the Craglorn one because I hate Craglorn and avoid the group content there.
    PCNA
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately allowing us back into all areas won't fix everything because there are more than those two categories you mentioned.

There are a number of books that disappear from the game world after they're read. If you're doing a quest with a group, and one person reads a lorebook necessary to advance the quest, it is often the case that the rest of the people in group can't read that book as well unless they abandon the quest, drop group, and start all over. (ETA: an example would be the Dragonguard Report you need to read in Sandswirl Manor as part of The Final Order in Elsweyr. You literally cannot access that book if you're in group and a groupmate reads that first. You must abandon the quest and begin again to get it. Letter for Vittoria is also bugged so that only one person in group during that quest can get it.)

There were also quest books that were "stealth" inserted into your inventory and removed during a quest, and if you didn't open your inventory and read them while on the quest, they were not accessible anywhere. They never had a location, since they only appeared in your inventory rather than in the world, so giving us access to every place we've been wouldn't have fixed it. One example is the Dead-Water Riddle Fragment.

Along similar lines, quest starters are often bugged like this. Sealed Letter is one example there. Another is Dread Lady's Letter, which has two different copies, each under a different category, and you have to start A Mortal's Touch one way, abandon it, and restart it the other way to get both.

So unfortunately the issues with Eidetic Memory go far beyond books left in inaccessible areas.
    Edited by virtus753 on May 6, 2021 3:17PM
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prologue zone for Murkmire (where you have to take the boat in Shadowfen) has missable books. Once you leave, you can never go back to get the books.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prologue zone for Murkmire (where you have to take the boat in Shadowfen) has missable books. Once you leave, you can never go back to get the books.

They fixed that years ago, during Elsweyr/Update 22.

ETA: from the Eidetic Memory bug thread:

"These books now have post-quest locations in the area around Jee-Lar and Concordia in Stormhold (where you go to pick up the Murkmire prologue daily quests), after completing the Murkmire prologue. No taxi is necessary."

I can confirm I found them there.
    Edited by virtus753 on May 6, 2021 3:27PM
  • GuyTheFirst
    GuyTheFirst
    Soul Shriven
    "virtus753 wrote: »
    There were also quest books that were "stealth" inserted into your inventory and removed during a quest, and if you didn't open your inventory and read them while on the quest, they were not accessible anywhere. They never had a location, since they only appeared in your inventory rather than in the world, so giving us access to every place we've been wouldn't have fixed it. One example is the Dead-Water Riddle Fragment.

if you are still looking for the book, u can find it in the second floor of Cyrodiilic Collections building in Murkmire. I also got the book from there only.
    Edited by GuyTheFirst on May 6, 2021 6:12PM
  • Enemoriana
    Enemoriana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zaryin wrote: »
    I don't know about the exact book that you have still missing but I had two to collect inside the zoo and I had already completed the quests so I had the same problem with the closed door. Somewhere I read that you can jump over the wall from the top of the mound in the inside of the dunerippers' pen to the left of that closed door. It worked for me, I could enter the area and collects the books.

Thank you, I finally collected them!
    • PC EU, @Enemoriana. Ru
    • My wishlist: crown crates, Lucky Cat Landing, atronach/crow/factotum merchant.
    • Houses: The Erstwhile Sanctuary. Everybody is welcomed! Here is video.
    • Luxury furniture is displayed in Forsaken Stronghold. Decorator default. Not luxury, but similar or close looking items marked with jester banners. Closed until ESO+ will be available again for Russia: without doubled limits there is not enough space.
    • Two years with no ESO+ available. Eternal thanks to people who gifted music boxes, my everlasting ESO passion!
  • Jacozilla
    Jacozilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some book being still completely unreachable, but generally when a place is locked out the politic is to have the book placed elsewhere for you to pick (no hints on where and sometimes a location you don't remember anymore)... have a check at the big eidetic memory bug thread, it's constantly being updated.

For the summerset one, i can assure you can jump back inside the zoo... i missed the book and was able to get it by jumping across a fence, not easy but absolutely doable. Most probably sooner or later (if not already) a copy of the book will be placed outside the zoo.
    Bugged books being fixed are rarely mentioned in patches but they *are* handled (i recently got a bugged book in greymoor caverns which had finished under a crate - it has been moved over a counter)... the issue is checking for them and being able to find them, as lorebooks and other addons cannot guess where they are until someone discovers them and take the time to share the info.

Soon (this is specifically mentioned in one of the recent pts patches) we'll be able to finally get the infamous unsigned tome of the undaunted. Those of us which didn't read the book before doing the quest misses it since ever...

As far as i know, if a book is bugged sooner or later will be addressed and a copy moved in a reachable place.

1- yes there are lots of books obtainable post quest, usually in alt location, but there are also lots that aren’t (otherwise we wouldn’t need the gigantic eidetic memory thread)

2- heads up that undaunted book has been retrievable for some time - might be some players can’t, but on both my accounts at least 10+ alts have been able to get undaunted ledger click to read after quest done by going to another undaunted camp, usually one not my alliance.

No idea why this works for me, but was able to go back and read the undaunted ledger this way for every alt that missed it,

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "virtus753 wrote: »

if you are still looking for the book, u can find it in the second floor of Cyrodiilic Collections building in Murkmire. I also got the book from there only.

Thank you! I did get it though. I'm just missing Tome of the Undaunted (unsigned), which is fixed with this coming update.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jacozilla wrote: »

1- yes there are lots of books obtainable post quest, usually in alt location, but there are also lots that aren’t (otherwise we wouldn’t need the gigantic eidetic memory thread)

2- heads up that undaunted book has been retrievable for some time - might be some players can’t, but on both my accounts at least 10+ alts have been able to get undaunted ledger click to read after quest done by going to another undaunted camp, usually one not my alliance.

No idea why this works for me, but was able to go back and read the undaunted ledger this way for every alt that missed it,

The Tome of the Undaunted (the unsigned one, not the signed one) is not accessible on any of my 18 toons. The signed one is just fine. Once you complete the intro to pledges, the copy of the ledger on the pedestal is always signed, at least on all of my characters.
  • Jacozilla
    Jacozilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    Jacozilla wrote: »

The Tome of the Undaunted (the unsigned one, not the signed one) is not accessible on any of my 18 toons. The signed one is just fine. Once you complete the intro to pledges, the copy of the ledger on the pedestal is always signed, at least on all of my characters.

oh, had no idea there was an unsigned one. I'm probably missing that on many alts too. Just didn't know it b/c I mainly go by the lorebooks addon - saw the signed icon book annoying me so I got that out of way by going to various alliance undaunted - not sure why it can't be read at all camps.
  • Oliviander
    Oliviander
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can reenter most of these locked locations by grouping with someone doing the quests
    you already have completed.
    I got some of my missing books that way.
    (And I got them all except a few of the last DLC that Ididn't look for by now)

Useful threads if you'r still seeking books:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/270549/eidetic-memory-bugs-comments-help/p1
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/467821/eidetic-memory-bugs-comments-help-volume-two/p1
    take a look
    Edited by Oliviander on May 7, 2021 4:44AM
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joerginger wrote: »

If you read the eidetic memory thread someone linked to earlier you will.see there is a way of getting back inside to get the books you missed. I can confirm it works as I had to do it myself.
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again for the suggestions, I just went there and found the three missing books.
  • Dagraenion
    virtus753 wrote: »
    Unfortunately allowing us back into all areas won't fix everything because there are more than those two categories you mentioned.

There are a number of books that disappear from the game world after they're read. If you're doing a quest with a group, and one person reads a lorebook necessary to advance the quest, it is often the case that the rest of the people in group can't read that book as well unless they abandon the quest, drop group, and start all over. (ETA: an example would be the Dragonguard Report you need to read in Sandswirl Manor as part of The Final Order in Elsweyr. You literally cannot access that book if you're in group and a groupmate reads that first. You must abandon the quest and begin again to get it. Letter for Vittoria is also bugged so that only one person in group during that quest can get it.)

Along similar lines, quest starters are often bugged like this. Sealed Letter is one example there. Another is Dread Lady's Letter, which has two different copies, each under a different category, and you have to start A Mortal's Touch one way, abandon it, and restart it the other way to get both.

So unfortunately the issues with Eidetic Memory go far beyond books left in inaccessible areas.

Has the Dready Lady's Letter ever been fixed?
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

We've closed this thread given its age and given that the discussion was last active May 2021 and people have moved on. If you wish to continue discussing this topic please create a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.