The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Permanent companions (for 2+2) in Group Finder?

• Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, group finder should keep active companions permanent
    DonGodJoe wrote: »
    you can check how great are companions on PTS.
    Doing a random normal dungeon, it does not matter how good or bad companions are. Even though it may take twice the time and effort to carry the clumsy companions through a dungeon, it is way more fun to do 2+2 with a good friend instead of the usual speed burn runs with 4 randoms. Moreover, it allows two DDs to do their daily random dungeon within 15 mins instead of waiting 20 mins to find a random group for the usual 10 min speed burn runs, saving 50% of their playing time.
    Anonx31st wrote: »
    This is an MMO, not your Skyrim. The fact that you want to replace strangers in an MMO with AI is detrimental to this game.
    Do you actually play the game lately? What is detrimental to this game is that 95% of random normal dailies now are speed burn runs of players being able to solo dungeons, leaving new players unable to do their dungeon quest. The humble request to be able to play random normal dailies as a 2+2 with a friend or guild mate is in the best MMO interest of this game.

While I agree that it would be nice for premade groups of two with their companions to be able to use the random dungeon finder to do the daily random if they want to since this would have little effect on other players (the only thing I can think of is that it might make queues longer for other players because it would be removing some players from the queue), I do have to point out that at least if two players just want to do a dungeon for the quest with their companions that is possible the way it is by just going to the dungeon directly. You just don’t get the daily random bonus that way, but you get to choose the dungeon and do it at your own pace and enjoy the quest.
  • simple_specops
    simple_specops
    ✭✭✭
    Yes yes a thousand time yes! I'm tired of people afk queueing, of fake tanks with 3k damage and mostly I'm tired of pugs not moving from aoe and queuing as fake dds! At least companions will use 5 skills constantly and consistently! That puts them in the top 55% of player base, and probably will be companions carrying your average pug.
  • Flamebait
    Flamebait
    ✭✭✭
    Rahar wrote: »
    Mysticman wrote: »
    remosito wrote: »
    Replacing PCs with NPCs is the antithesis of an MMO's value.

for me esos bigest appeal after being ES and fully voice acted is that it is so open to solo/duo and encourages play like you want. and less of the forced group *** of other mmos...

Why even make an MMO, then?
    ESO is more of a on-line RPG than a traditional MMO.

I see where you're coming from with this, but I disagree. Path of Exile and Guild Wars 1 are more like an online RPG than an MMO, because you can only see other players in city hubs/lobbies and group up with them to go into an otherwise single-player world. ESO, however, has the traditional open world where every player is dumped with the other players, group or not, and has other traditional MMO stuff like group finders, dungeons, raids, etc. It's an MMO through and through.

for me esos bigest appeal after being ES and fully voice acted is that it is so open to solo/duo and encourages play like you want. and less of the forced group *** of other mmos...

You're completely able to solo/duo most normal dungeons in the game with little to no issue, but there should be a point in every MMO as you get to higher level content where you need a group. Why even make an MMO, then?

bigger player base to sell your game to. lone wolves and hypersocislites.

and solo/duoing with better companions than we have now would open up new play experiences.

it's not like anybody here wants to scrap traditional 4 man group finder...

No one's stopping you from solo or duoing the dungeon without the RDF. You're just asking to use the group finder without other players so you can get the transmute crystals. You see why that would be a problem, right? Aside from the fact that the random dungeon reward is meant to be an incentive to group up with other (possibly newer) players and help them, wouldn't it be really not fun for people who actually like to group up since they could get stuck with someone in a """duo""" with their companion?

It demolishes any integrity the RDF has left, if any. There are plenty of other places to get crystals.

So it is fine for you to have fun while others have theirs removed. I won't really do randoms unless it's a dungeon I can solo as I really hate having random people there. I will never see them again and honestly the majority are simply either annoying or flat out horrible people.

If you think forcing people to group that hate the idea of grouping is a good thing the it shows which type of person you are. And if grouping wasn't such a horrible time maybe it wouldn't have to be so heavily incentivized. But it really is and so a lot of people have to suffer through it to get an actually needed gameplay item that should just drop from the last boss of the first dungeon of the day.
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, group finder should replace active companions by human players
    Flamebait wrote: »

I see where you're coming from with this, but I disagree. Path of Exile and Guild Wars 1 are more like an online RPG than an MMO, because you can only see other players in city hubs/lobbies and group up with them to go into an otherwise single-player world. ESO, however, has the traditional open world where every player is dumped with the other players, group or not, and has other traditional MMO stuff like group finders, dungeons, raids, etc. It's an MMO through and through.

You're completely able to solo/duo most normal dungeons in the game with little to no issue, but there should be a point in every MMO as you get to higher level content where you need a group. Why even make an MMO, then?

and solo/duoing with better companions than we have now would open up new play experiences.

No one's stopping you from solo or duoing the dungeon without the RDF. You're just asking to use the group finder without other players so you can get the transmute crystals. You see why that would be a problem, right? Aside from the fact that the random dungeon reward is meant to be an incentive to group up with other (possibly newer) players and help them, wouldn't it be really not fun for people who actually like to group up since they could get stuck with someone in a """duo""" with their companion?

It demolishes any integrity the RDF has left, if any. There are plenty of other places to get crystals.

So it is fine for you to have fun while others have theirs removed. I won't really do randoms unless it's a dungeon I can solo as I really hate having random people there. I will never see them again and honestly the majority are simply either annoying or flat out horrible people.

If you think forcing people to group that hate the idea of grouping is a good thing the it shows which type of person you are. And if grouping wasn't such a horrible time maybe it wouldn't have to be so heavily incentivized. But it really is and so a lot of people have to suffer through it to get an actually needed gameplay item that should just drop from the last boss of the first dungeon of the day.

So you... what, play a Massively Multiplayer Online game with the intention of never grouping up with other players to do the content? And you immediately assume everyone you have to group with is annoying and horrible? No, I think you've got it wrong; your mindset is the thing that's horrible. Why do you -- and for that matter, a lot of other people on this thread -- act like teaming up with your fellow players is something to be actively avoided, or at the very least mitigated to an extent that makes the game (an MMO, I should add) less fun for the people that actually enjoy it? In my experience, the nightmare stories of speed burn runs happens a lot less than what diehard solo players would like you to believe. And you might find that if you stop and say hello, or politely ask for time to do the quest, then you'll get what you want without ruining everyone else's experience in the process.

NeRf MaGsOrC
  • GoodFella146
    GoodFella146
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "No, group finder should replace active companions by human players"

What about elven players? Khajiit players? Argonian players?

It'd be nice if the companions took up a queue spot, giving us full control over the setting.
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flamebait wrote: »

So you... what, play a Massively Multiplayer Online game with the intention of never grouping up with other players to do the content? And you immediately assume everyone you have to group with is annoying and horrible? No, I think you've got it wrong; your mindset is the thing that's horrible. Why do you -- and for that matter, a lot of other people on this thread -- act like teaming up with your fellow players is something to be actively avoided, or at the very least mitigated to an extent that makes the game (an MMO, I should add) less fun for the people that actually enjoy it? In my experience, the nightmare stories of speed burn runs happens a lot less than what diehard solo players would like you to believe. And you might find that if you stop and say hello, or politely ask for time to do the quest, then you'll get what you want without ruining everyone else's experience in the process.

There are a lot of ppl who just play the latest elder scrolls game. It being an mmo is just what it happens to be. Unfortunately to some even. I would very very much prefer it being single player tbh.

Could mod the crap out of evertyhing and tune everything to my liking. And just imagining the eso wprld with all the graphical upgrades mods are capable of...

Some ppl like grouping and interfacing with others. Some less. Some might like it in some settings/activities. others in others. .

Humans are all so very different.

Edited by remosito on May 7, 2021 5:59AM
    ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)