Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 30 - Feedback Thread for Oblivion Portals

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for Oblivion Portals. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • Were you able to locate and enter any Oblivion Portals during your testing?
  • Did you enter them in a group or solo?
  • Did you do the Oblivion Portal with a Companion? If so, how was the overall experience?
  • If you ventured inside to fight, how did the experience feel?
  • Did you find anything either too easy or too hard?
  • Did you manage to complete the Oblivion Portal?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on April 20, 2021 3:53PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • fboostb16_ESO
    fboostb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but it was not easy. Maybe there could be a weather like indicators like for Dolmens in an area where they spawn. Then rotate between a few areas?
      Entered solo, but a few randos quickly followed
    • Did you do the Oblivion Portal with a Companion? If so, how was the overall experience?
      Nope
      Overall the experience was good. It was hard to judge because everyone was CP3600.
      Understanding the shield mechanics of the boss was confusing.
      It was easy. The group got large and everyone was at CP cap.
      The area and backdrop look great. The difficulty is hard to judge because of the CP cap template everyone uses.

• fboostb16_ESO
    fboostb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    A group member was in a Deadlands instance, but when I ported in I was at the opposite side. Please let me port in close to my group member.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran around for hours, think I found all the map locations, but couldn't find a portal. It would definitely help if there was some sort of visual effect to help you find them. Quite disappointing.
    PS4 EU
  • JoSePHRiNG
    JoSePHRiNG
    ✭✭✭
    1)Yes with easy no problem at all, you can differ them from afar.
    2)Solo with a companion.
    3)I was a bit overwhelmed but ıf you have a bit of sustain it is very easy to do.
    4)Felt better and better with each step I took and actually liked the fights too.
    5)Actually everything felt as right amount, not too easy nor too hard.
    6)Yes, but bugged, I could not kill the boss first time and second time but succeded in the third time, with people joining we did faster maybe that helped too about the bug.
    7)Yes I finished it.
    8)I liked them, they feel good to finish but I think "tough little boss" fight areas could be distinguishable than normal mobs area, that would be really good.
    And also if the elevation portals inside (that helps you to move forward in the dungeon) also could be distinguishable.
    Jorvuld's Guidance and SPC all the way down.
  • Malprave
    Malprave
    ✭✭✭✭
    Were you able to locate and enter any Oblivion Portals during your testing?

Yes.

Did you enter them in a group or solo?

Solo. But was joined by randoms for the final fight.

Did you do the Oblivion Portal with a Companion? If so, how was the overall experience?

No.

If you ventured inside to fight, how did the experience feel?

I enjoyed the portal. I did everything solo until the final boss without dying but it didn’t feel too easy or too hard. I couldn’t really judge the final fight because so many other players were there.

Did you find anything either too easy or too hard?

With a lot of players the final boss was too easy.

Did you manage to complete the Oblivion Portal?

Yes. Fairly quickly.

Do you have any other general feedback?

No.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for Oblivion Portals. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:

1. Yes.
    2. Solo
    3. Yes. So far he has not died, but he leveled up a gazillion times.
    4. The early bosses were good, quite enjoyed the fight. Did feel I could solo some of them, given time to study mechanics.
    5. Was not too easy or too hard.
    6. Did not complete the portal. His Highness, Havocrel, Duke of Storms, healed himself back up then hid behind a shield.
    7. A real Duke would not need a shield.

I am curious whether others join as the experience continues. I am just sitting here watching the Duke (literally using /sitchair) and the other players have thinned out. I am wondering whether others will show up, in time.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes. I was riding around and I heard a very loud noise (like a nirnroot but more ominous) that turned out to be an Oblivion portal. The sound was definitely attention-getting, which helped make up for the lack of visual cues.

I announced the portal in zone chat and invited people who responded. We had 8 players and 4 companions in the party once we were all inside. There were several others who also came in who were not in the party.

Did you do the Oblivion Portal with a Companion? If so, how was the overall experience?

Yes. I had DPS Mirri with me, using a bow. She had a tendency to stand in red, but she didn't die. It was hard to gauge her impact because there were a lot of players there. I did notice that the only deaths were a couple of companions, and nobody but me seemed to care about rezzing them. :D

I was one of the last party members to enter the portal (because I wanted to wait for people to find me), and by the time I got in, the early rooms had already been cleared. That made it kind of hard to tell where to go, and it felt like we were just chasing after the action without knowing if we'd get there in time to help and get credit.

The actual fights were pretty cool thematically and were quite manageable with the group we had. However, there were multiple places where we were confused about what to do, and we spent some time scrambling around trying to see if there were mechanics that needed to be triggered.

The final boss was very frustrating, because after a bunch of mob waves and getting him down to about half health, he cast an invincible damage shield and healed back up. There didn't seem to be any mechanic for getting him to drop the shield, even after we killed all of the mobs. Most people concluded that he was bugged, and everybody in the party dropped. Those of us who remained went back running around the rooms that were still accessible, and eventually somebody figured out how to trigger some fire statues in the previous room. Killing those didn't make the boss' shield drop, though.

I think more people were coming in through the still-open portal, and somehow eventually the boss reset and this time we were somehow able to kill him. So it wasn't a failure, but I'm pretty sure it didn't work the way it was supposed to. That soured the experience and made it feel like we were wasting a lot of time instead of just wrecking shop and going home.

The only thing that was too hard was the boss's bugged damage shield, or maybe the process for figuring out what to do when the mechanics weren't obvious (although that was more frustrating).

I'm confident that I could solo the trash mobs if nobody else showed up, but I'm not sure about the bosses.

Yes, despite the bugged final boss.

I was expecting the place to be bigger, having heard them compared to public dungeons. I'm glad they're more manageable to get through, which will hopefully allow them to be hopped into for farming without having to set aside a large chunk of time. I do wonder if that will make it harder for latecomers to contribute if everything gets cleared quickly.

It would be good for latecomers to have a way to catch up to the action so they can contribute to the fights sooner.

It might be good to have each room need to be cleared before progressing on to the next room, especially if something like not killing the fire statues (which we didn't know was a thing) prevents progress on the subsequent boss.
    Edited by Ilsabet on April 21, 2021 5:30AM
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just about to start a discussion asking if the Oblivion portals were missing from this build. Spent all day wandering around in Blackwood and nothin'. :neutral:
  • DarkHero1989
    DarkHero1989
    ✭✭✭
    -located 5 portals, entered 5 portals

-solo

-went in with companion, was a fair experience given the level of the companion

-Felt pretty smooth for a public dungeon instance

-Fair experience, neither too easy, or too hard seemed good balance for the challenges through the areas

-out of 5 enters i only managed to complete only once as the last boss always usually ended up being bugged in his shielded state.

-No
    @Skooma_Lord1989

-Lord Ra'Jhirr,
    Lord of Anequina.Grand Overlord to the Ebonheart Pact, and loyal servant of Alkosh
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here's the issue with the bugged final boss: he has three "stages", and at the end of the first two (at roughly 66% and 33%), he puts up a damage shield and won't drop it until you kill off the adds. If you group has enough DD to wipe his health down to the end of the SECOND stage (33%) before he's done the shield stage for the 66%, he'll bug. Two steps to fix it:

1. Run back along the path until the boss fight resets.
    2. Softball the damage at least in the first stage so he has a chance to do his shield phase at 66%.

If you can wrangle the people you're with into doing those two things, you should be able to beat the final boss.

Though on the WAY to the final boss, ran into this bug when entering the central tower, which was eventually fixed by throwing myself into the abyss, which ported me back to the start of the dungeon where the bug disappeared the second time through.

sakji79oxq9n.png
    cddxzamfwmdz.png

ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • xeoneexb14_ESO
    xeoneexb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Wandered all around Blackwood, no portals nothing. Asked in zone no one really responded.
    John 3:16 = For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
  • DuckFayth
    DuckFayth
    ✭✭✭
    - Yes, was able to locate them fairly easy by traveling and exploring.
    - Entered both as solo and group. I am glad that you can travel to group/guild members already in a portal to join their instance.
    - No
    - Fights feel similar to a public dungeon. The titan was the most difficult fight, before the end boss. The atmosphere of the location is excellent, I love the look and feel.
    - I do think most aspects of the portals are well balanced to accommodate multiple skill levels and levels of experience. I do think that the final boss should have a lot more HP. I think that it can help combat the ability to bug it by doing too much DPS and it will make that fight feel harder than the Titan. At first glance the hardest boss in the zone seemed to be the Titan due to the split-path nature of the instance. Since entering the portal has the potential to split players between 3 paths with all players meeting in the middle, I believe it had the effect of making the Titans feel harder. You face Titans with about 1/3 the people who enter and the final boss feels considerably easier since the full population of the event converge in one place.
    - No. 4/4 Oblivion portals I attended the final boss was over DPS'd and bugged, unable to be finished. The details are roughly the same as others who have already posted. It seemed similar to the Molag Kena boss bug.
    - The lava behind the final boss was essentially fake and did no damage. I'm sure there's decent reasons for that but it did make it very difficult to die and exit the instance once the bosses were bugged and your character is stuck in combat. There is also at least one spot it's possible to get stuck in the final boss room, on the right side wedged between a spike and the wall.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Ah, now eventually you do plan to have Oblivion portals in your, in your Oblivion chapter, right? Hello?"

Hours in the game. Two encountered. In TES 4, you could not pop behind a tree for a well deserved break without tripping across one of them things.
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly suggest marking active oblivion portals on the map, or make them way more visually obvious like Harrowstorms or Geysers. Currently they are too hard to find, and when zone population drops in future will become even more so.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly suggest marking active oblivion portals on the map, or make them way more visually obvious like Harrowstorms or Geysers. Currently they are too hard to find, and when zone population drops in future will become even more so.

I don't think they are hard to find because they are not on the map. I think they are hard to find because ... they just aren't there.
  • DoggedBark24
    DoggedBark24
    ✭✭
    • yes

• Solo

• Nope

• It was too easy, I am CP 810-820 used 4 crafty Alfiq, Ring of the Wild Hunt (speed ring, I forgot to take off), 5 false god, and 2 earthgore

• It was all pretty easy, the hardest part was the southern entrance was bugged. I went through the door, roamed around a bit to try to go to the next area, then fell through the map.

• Yes

• Hopefully this was just a first run, especially as far as world events go. As it seems to me now the 'difficult' part of this was that it Gold Bars and summons in adds. Now, on the other hand, as far as public dungeons go (the load screen of the deadlands) it felt appropriate and similar to previous chapter's public dungeons.

Edited by DoggedBark24 on April 22, 2021 5:49PM
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Two.

Solo.

Companion. Barely paid attention to them though.

Both times I would classify the experience as bad. When I entered someone who got there ahead of me had already cleared all of the mobs to the main boss. So I was just sprinting through trying to catch up, but upon my arrival to the next "island" everything was cleared once again.

Obviously too easy because I didn't get to fight anything since I arrived too late.

No, both times the final boss bugged out and wouldn't come out of his damage shield.

These things are WAY too difficult to locate. I rode around looking for more but never saw one. This will really kill the experience for me.

I remember when Elsweyr came out I had such a good time running from dragon to dragon killing them over and over. But this was only made possible by the map showing which one was currently up. And now you are changing the Harrowstorms to do the same.

So my question is - why not with oblivion portals? Why the cloak and dagger on finding one just to enjoy the experience? It is such a huge pain point and I have yet to meet a person who enjoys not being able to find a portal. If I want to do 10 of them in a row when the zone drops I should be able to do that because that is how I want to have fun. If I ride around for 10-15 minutes and never see one it just frustrates me.

I have not checked to see if there is a daily to do these portals yet, but if there is, PLEASE you must mark them on the map. I do not want to spend 15 minutes riding around just trying to find a portal, only to enter and every mob is already dead, so I sprint through and get one light attack on the boss before it dies. That is a horrible player experience.
  • michaelemanuel11b16_ESO
    I must admit, I was sorely disappointed that the Oblivion Portals were not Oblivion Gates, like in TES:IV. We see gates being used in the main quest as well as by mobs when spawning in delves, so the glowing orbs are really unimpresive. I almost completely missed them because I was honestly expecting to see an Oblivion Gate.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must admit, I was sorely disappointed that the Oblivion Portals were not Oblivion Gates, like in TES:IV. We see gates being used in the main quest as well as by mobs when spawning in delves, so the glowing orbs are really unimpresive. I almost completely missed them because I was honestly expecting to see an Oblivion Gate.

Yes. There is a much more mature, or advanced, Deadlands gate in Rivenspire. I am not sure why ZOS decided that this needed to be re-invented. Maybe they don't want the hatred that people have for the TES 4 ones to spill over here.

Although, with the atmospheric changes and sound, you knew when one was nearby long before you saw it. That might help in Blackwood.
  • Holmarion19
    Holmarion19
    ✭✭✭
    Just spent three quarters of an hour riding around looking for a portal to enter to test. Not one appeared. Haven't even any idea what one is supposed to look like yet. Do they only appear after reaching a certain stage of the MQ or when your character has reached a particular level?

The finished areas of the zone are beautiful but this was just not a fun experience.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third day wandering around Blackwood, still no Portals. Someone even gave an exact location in chat and I could not find it.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found 3 portals by accident.

Solo

With a companion. The mobs were pretty easy and I killed them myself. But my Bastian tank died on every boss while standing in the AOE zones.

It's as easy as overland. I could kill mobs in large packs without any difficulty. Also, most of the mobs I could just skip. The final boss has too little HP. He returned to his shield as soon as he left it.
    In truth, you just run two islands in the hope that you will have time to inflict at least one hit on the last boss in order to receive a reward. Once I did not have time. I just ran to last, he was already killed, I was left without a reward. Likewise, the lack of unique rewards like rare alchemical ingredients used to make portals unattractive to complete. Is that only for achievement and daily.

So easy.

Yes

There are definite advantages to the fact that these portals are so easy - you can solo them. Dragons and harrowstorms are too difficult even for high level players.
    PC/EU
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I entered my first one today, I had not seen one before.

Solo, but I bumped into more people later on.

I entered with Bastion, geared as a healer. Overall the experience was ok, BUT I died on the 1st big boss. When I rezzed, bastion just followed me around, and did not participate in the battle until I dismissed and resummoned him.

It was more difficult then I expected, even with the companion I don't think I could solo it. Also even with dps gear on, I don't think my tank could do these. He does not have good enough dps. I would be reluctant to enter these unless my character had good gear.

Also the final boss bugged out and had to be reset to continue.

A bit on the hard side. Of all my characters I think I would only be comfortable entering with about two of them. The rest don't have good enough gear or builds.

With the help of three (four?) other players I did, yes.

It seemed a lot of work for very little pay off. The rewards felt a bit lack luster. I am not saying more gold or anything, but maybe a huge xp payoff for completion? A furniture plan? Just something more than a ring and a piece of gear.

The final boss fight seemed suitable epic though.
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-yes. No issues entering or leaving the portals, and they return you to the spot you walked in at.

-Solo

-the two times I went in, one was with a companion. The companion helped and did not die during the encounter.

-It was really fun.I enjoyed the experience. The second time I walked in, entering the tower dropped me off the map and I had to start over.

-For a group event, it was about the same difficulty of base game dolmens. I was on my own until halfway through the last boss when other people joined in. The enemies died very quickly, and if overwhelmed on your own, you may die a few times. Other than that, it was almost too easy compared to harrowstorms or dragons, and like dolmens, the setup I use has no issues going in and beating it alone.

-yes. Both times I went in, we cleared it.

Yes. I love the design, and it was a lot of fun. It also brought back memories of the original Oblivion Gates from TESIV.

One thing I might suggest is to have special loot for the event, rather than the regular delve boss loot table like all the other world events do. Most of the event loot like dragons, geysers, harrowstorms, and dolmens drop a unique set of gear, and the only loot I acquired was from the last boss, so unless I missed a chest at the end that was supposed to appear, I feel the rewards are a bit lacking.

Edited by Djennku on April 23, 2021 4:01AM
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Djennku wrote: »
    One thing I might suggest is to have special loot for the event, rather than the regular delve boss loot table like all the other world events do. Most of the event loot like dragons, geysers, harrowstorms, and dolmens drop a unique set of gear, and the only loot I acquired was from the last boss, so unless I missed a chest at the end that was supposed to appear, I feel the rewards are a bit lacking.

There was a chest at the end, but you did not miss much.
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is gonna be short:

been riding around on two chars for hours. did full questline on one.

did not encounter one single portal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally managed to complete a non-bugged portal. Overall pretty underwhelming. The difficulty really is about that of a public dungeon (and easier than recent DLC public dungeon group events). After the overland group challenges in recent chapters (dragons and harrowstorms, both of which are essentially unsoloable or at least you must need to be god tier to solo them) and the hype about new monsters and the difficulty gradually ramping up as you approach the centre I was expecting something pretty meaty. The Duke of Storms doesn't really hurt much unless you enjoy standing in stupid, he has minimal health and the adds that come out during the shield phases are easy to kill.

Also, is there only one of these? So every time you encounter a portal it's the same map, the same adds and the same boss? That also seems a bit underwhelming compared to abyssal geysers where there was a huge range of bosses, or dragons where there are several different types of dragon. I was expecting either the instance to be much bigger, or to find a variety of different oblivion maps accessed through different portals. It just feels a bit basic.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The one portal I found so far,was nice but the final boss bugged.
    Couldn't finish it.
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • ValueDrift
    ValueDrift
    ✭✭✭

Both times I would classify the experience as bad. When I entered someone who got there ahead of me had already cleared all of the mobs to the main boss. So I was just sprinting through trying to catch up, but upon my arrival to the next "island" everything was cleared once again.

When I saw the stream where the portals were introduced, I assumed they'd run into exactly this problem. If the mobs are as squishy as the ones in public dungeons, they will die nearly as soon as a well equipped player can sprint at them, and thus the whole thing gets cleared in a wave that progresses at roughly the sprinting speed of the player doing the clearing. Anyone who arrives even a little bit later or has a lower sprinting speed will have a hard time catching up.
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ValueDrift wrote: »

When I saw the stream where the portals were introduced, I assumed they'd run into exactly this problem. If the mobs are as squishy as the ones in public dungeons, they will die nearly as soon as a well equipped player can sprint at them, and thus the whole thing gets cleared in a wave that progresses at roughly the sprinting speed of the player doing the clearing. Anyone who arrives even a little bit later or has a lower sprinting speed will have a hard time catching up.

I finally found an empty oblivion portal to solo. It was pretty trivial, the hard bit was keeping damage down on Havocrel at the end so that he wouldn't bug in his shield phases. If you have 1 player use nothing but light attacks it sort of works, he won't skip phases and get bugged, but unless these are instanced to max 2/3 players everything will just melt on sight. Remember what dragons were like when everyone was killing them, and they have 14 million health - the boss in these portals has a few hundred k and you have to try to go slowly enough that mechanics trigger during the fight.