The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ball of lightning OP (solved on PTS)

Noctus
Noctus
✭✭✭✭✭
rly wanted to discuss this in a seperate thread. streak and its other morph arent a problem but ball of lightning block any magicka burst and gives the caster time to use dark dealing or heavy attack u for resources.

it just cant be countered if ur also magicka based. just an easy iwin button against magicka based characters. (unless jabplar i guess)

again im not against streak(dont think its OP) its just ball of lightning.

i gotta edit this.... keep in mind ball of lightning doesnt let through even non projectile ranged abilities like force pulse. dk wings actually let force pulse lightning heavy etc. through when i remember right and even spell wall ultimate let those attacks through.

Edit: i personally think it should absorb only true projectiles like snipe, chrystal frag inferno light attack, funnel health BUT things like lightning heavy attack, force pulse, vampiric drain should go through.

This problem is solved on PTS now it acts like the ultimate shieldwall which is ok

Edited by Noctus on April 20, 2021 9:11AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only absorbs projectiles for 3 seconds. Do you have similar problems with Wardens using their crystallized shields?

Without further info, this reminds me of complaints about the way the old DK wings completely shut down ranged builds that relied on projectiles. Yes, they did, but the old wings didn't do jack-diddly as long as you had a non-projectile skill you could swap to when you came up against a wing-spammer.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Limit amount of projectiles absorbed too and call it a day.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone not massively biased towards sorc will admit that ball of lightning being as strong as it is while wings got nerfed into oblivion isnt balanced.
    To add insult to injury Zos even buffed ball of lightning to its current state after deleting wings with the reasoning being that no ability should counter an entire playstyle. Yet here we are with one ability countering an entire playstyle while also doubling as the best mobility spell in the game.
    Even worse for magdks the one spell they have to counter ball of lightning (their in class gap closer empowering chains) gets absorbed by ball of lightning and thus is useless instead of the counter its supposed to be.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only absorbs projectiles for 3 seconds. Do you have similar problems with Wardens using their crystallized shields?

Without further info, this reminds me of complaints about the way the old DK wings completely shut down ranged builds that relied on projectiles. Yes, they did, but the old wings didn't do jack-diddly as long as you had a non-projectile skill you could swap to when you came up against a wing-spammer.

test it. there is no ranged skill that goes through ball of lightning. or atleast none that i have noticed in my fights. it rly seems to absorb anything unless its some sort of aoe ability.
    Edited by Noctus on April 10, 2021 7:57PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »

test it. there is no ranged skill that goes through ball of lightning. or atleast none that i have noticed in my fights. it rly seems to absorb anything unless its some sort of aoe ability.

Ranged skills that aren't AOE are projectiles, IIRC, so they should be shut down in a very similar way to how the old DK wings shut down projectile based builds. Magblades used to complain about it a ton because most of them ran entirely ranged builds. Even Swallow Soul was treated like a projectile. Still, it's only three seconds, which means that you'll need to time your ranged burst rather than wasting it while the Sorc has their Ball of Lightning absorbtion window.

I mean, there's a solid argument that Ball of Lightning ought to be nerfed for consistency's sake when the old DK wings got nerfed to provide limited protection for 6 seconds.

But in the meantime, it may be worth reviewing those old complaint threads about DK wings for how to play against someone who no-sells the majority of your ranged arsenal. The basic tips were usually:
    A.) Don't use a one-trick pony build that's loaded up with just ranged projectiles and expect to do well against a build that's got a skill that shuts down projectiles.
    B.) Don't unload your burst while they've got their protection up. At least with a sorc, it's just wasted attacks. Against a DK, you could basically kill yourself with your own reflected attacks. It could be worse.
    C.) Do pressure them so they can't keep spamming that skill, which does require non-projectile skills. That might be harder to do with mobile Sorcs compared to DKs, but fortunately Ball of Lightning escalates in cost, so its hard to spam.
  • Bunny_guar
    Bunny_guar
    ✭✭
    Limit amount of projectiles absorbed too and call it a day.

^This.

Anything else will throw BoL into the bin of uselessness.
    Azura's blessings upon you, Traveler.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »
    Anyone not massively biased towards sorc will admit that ball of lightning being as strong as it is while wings got nerfed into oblivion isnt balanced.
    To add insult to injury Zos even buffed ball of lightning to its current state after deleting wings with the reasoning being that no ability should counter an entire playstyle. Yet here we are with one ability countering an entire playstyle while also doubling as the best mobility spell in the game.
    Even worse for magdks the one spell they have to counter ball of lightning (their in class gap closer empowering chains) gets absorbed by ball of lightning and thus is useless instead of the counter its supposed to be.

Still, it's only three seconds, which means that you'll need to time your ranged burst rather than wasting it while the Sorc has their Ball of Lightning absorbtion window.

A.) Don't use a one-trick pony build that's loaded up with just ranged projectiles and expect to do well against a build that's got a skill that shuts down projectiles.
    B.) Don't unload your burst while they've got their protection up. At least with a sorc, it's just wasted attacks. Against a DK, you could basically kill yourself with your own reflected attacks. It could be worse.
    C.) Do pressure them so they can't keep spamming that skill, which does require non-projectile skills. That might be harder to do with mobile Sorcs compared to DKs, but fortunately Ball of Lightning escalates in cost, so its hard to spam.

allright first of all 3 seconds means alot during a fight. in 3 seconds i can completely refill my resources and heal up effectively resetting a fight and its part of the streak skill so i can also basically just disapear if i want.

A.) what do u expect magicka users to run dizzy swing :disappointed:

B.) yeh sure ill just wait untill they fully heal up again

C.) how am i suppose to pressure them when that ball is up ? i could taunt them via chat or emote them would that be sufficient pressure ?

how about nightblade cloak/dk wings absorb all melee dmg for 3 secs seems fair to me <-im strongly in favor of this

Edited by Noctus on April 10, 2021 10:16PM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Give it the same treatment as wings and a 50% reduction. The same thing needs to be done to Wardens Crystallized Shield and its morph. For reference here are the tool tips form eso-skillbook.com

Ball of Lightning
    Cast Time: Instant
    Target: Area
    Range: Maximum range: 15 meters, Radius: 6 meters
    Cost: 3780 Magicka
    Skill description
    Transform yourself into pure energy and flash forward. After reaching your location, you become immune to snare and immobilize effects for 2 seconds. A ball of lightning is created at this location as well, which absorbs incoming projectiles for 3 seconds. Casting again within 4 seconds costs 33% more Magicka.
    New effect
    Absorbs projectiles. Grants brief snare and immobilization immunity after casting. No longer stuns enemies.

Protective Plate
    Target: Self
    Cost: 3510 Magicka
    Skill description
    Flex your scales, reducing damage taken from projectiles by 50% for 6 seconds. Gain immunity to snares and immobilizations for 2 seconds.
    New effect
    Gain immunity to snares and immobilizations. Cost reduces as ability ranks up.

Dragon Fire Scale
    Skill description
    Flex your scales, reducing damage taken from projectiles by 50% for 6 seconds. When you are hit with a projectile, you retaliate by launching a fiery orb at the attacker that deals 1799 Flame Damage. This effect can occur once every half second.
    New effect
    Incoming projectiles cause you to deal Flame Damage back to the attacker.

Shimmering Shield
    Skill description
    Spin a shield of ice around you, absorbing up to 25609 damage from 3 projectiles. Each time you absorb a projectile you restore 831 Magicka and gain Major Heroism for 6 seconds, granting you 3 Ultimate every 1.5 seconds.
    New effect
    Absorbing projectiles grants you Major Heroism.

Crystallized Slab
    Skill description
    Spin a shield of ice around you, absorbing up to 24791 damage from 3 projectiles. Each time you absorb a projectile you restore 831 Magicka and launch an icy bolt back at the enemy, dealing 1799 Frost Damage. This effect can occur once every half second.
    New effect
    Absorbing projectiles launches an icy bolt back at the enemy.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey 😊

PS. ZOS stop the micromanagement of the green tree 🥺
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Give it the same treatment as wings and a 50% reduction. The same thing needs to be done to Wardens Crystallized Shield and its morph. For reference here are the tool tips form eso-skillbook.com

Ball of Lightning
    Skill description
    Transform yourself into pure energy and flash forward. After reaching your location, you become immune to snare and immobilize effects for 2 seconds. A ball of lightning is created at this location as well, which absorbs incoming projectiles for 3 seconds. Casting again within 4 seconds costs 33% more Magicka.
    New effect
    Absorbs projectiles. Grants brief snare and immobilization immunity after casting. No longer stuns enemies.

Protective Plate
    Skill description
    Flex your scales, reducing damage taken from projectiles by 50% for 6 seconds. Gain immunity to snares and immobilizations for 2 seconds.
    New effect

Dragon Fire Scale
    Skill description
    Flex your scales, reducing damage taken from projectiles by 50% for 6 seconds. When you are hit with a projectile, you retaliate by launching a fiery orb at the attacker that deals 1799 Flame Damage. This effect can occur once every half second.
    New effect

Shimmering Shield
    Skill description
    Spin a shield of ice around you, absorbing up to 25609 damage from 3 projectiles. Each time you absorb a projectile you restore 831 Magicka and gain Major Heroism for 6 seconds, granting you 3 Ultimate every 1.5 seconds.
    New effect

Crystallized Slab
    Skill description
    Spin a shield of ice around you, absorbing up to 24791 damage from 3 projectiles. Each time you absorb a projectile you restore 831 Magicka and launch an icy bolt back at the enemy, dealing 1799 Frost Damage. This effect can occur once every half second.
    New effect

This. Both BoL and Shimmering are biggest offenders here, there is no way someone can burst through them especially through warden shields which thanks to cost return are extremly cheap and can be kept up even by stamina toons - cost return needs to be removed and the mitigation neeeds to be changed into % based. BoL on the other hand is the best escape tool in the game, it makes you 100% immune to ranged builds. It should get longer cool down or as said above, get the wings treatment.

Or introduce potion and skills that suppress those skills effects for Xs.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Throwing in my 2c as a magsorc main: Absorb projectile effects are usually ok, but BoL is a special case. It needs to be limited in some capacity.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

Ball of Lightning
    Skill description
    New effect

Protective Plate
    Skill description
    New effect

Dragon Fire Scale
    Skill description
    New effect

Shimmering Shield
    Skill description
    New effect

Crystallized Slab
    Skill description
    New effect

This. Both BoL and Shimmering are biggest offenders here, there is no way someone can burst through them especially through warden shields which thanks to cost return are extremly cheap and can be kept up even by stamina toons - cost return needs to be removed and the mitigation neeeds to be changed into % based. BoL on the other hand is the best escape tool in the game, it makes you 100% immune to ranged builds. It should get longer cool down or as said above, get the wings treatment.

Or introduce potion and skills that suppress those skills effects for Xs.

I think BOL should just catch 3 projectiles instead of all of them for 3 seconds. This makes it differential from wings, but somewhat balanced to it.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc, necro, stamblade and stamden are in a good place balance wise and have strong abilities which is why players are inclined to main them.

However this forum really likes average classes and loves the argument of how x class has better ability so y class should also have the same. Why not everyone play just one class then lol ?

Maybe everyone on this nerf thread should main magblade open world and probably they can feature on every 1vx video ever posted on YouTube.

Nerfing BOL is a bad idea and even worse is nerfing shimmering shield on an already average magden.
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on April 12, 2021 10:01PM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It has a ramping cost. Its not that hard to run a mag sorc out of sustain.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It has a ramping cost. Its not that hard to run a mag sorc out of sustain.

doesnt matter. the way u use it is go for bol and then use dark dealings while ur opponent cant do anything 3 secs.
    it also gives u enough time to heavy attack and if ur on heavy armor ull get the cost back + some extra.

and if u rly abuse it like teleport 3 times then u definately out of range so it doesnt matter anymore if ur out of resources anyway then just use meditate or again dark dealing.
  • Berchelous
    Berchelous
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's buff wings instead of jumping on nerf train.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I mainly play mag sorc, and play atam sorc quite often.

I don't use it on either. For me, I value the unlockable stun from streak a lot more.

Ball of lightning is very strong though. It does hard negate a lot of offence.

What I would say though, is comparing it to wings/warden shield is a bit like apples an oranges.

The key difference, is that the warden shield and wings can be used and then you can go aggressive. So they can cancel a lot of your damage, but still be a threat to you.

Ball of lightning is an escape tool. Yes, it's annoying, but it doesn't create a one sided fight. They're running away.

It is still a little strong though and probably needs some adjustments.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

I don't use it on either. For me, I value the unlockable stun from streak a lot more.

What I would say though, is comparing it to wings/warden shield is a bit like apples an oranges.

The key difference, is that the warden shield and wings can be used and then you can go aggressive. So they can cancel a lot of your damage, but still be a threat to you.

Ball of lightning is an escape tool. Yes, it's annoying, but it doesn't create a one sided fight. They're running away.

Whats stopping a magsorc from casting it and then continue blasting a another player while all ranged damage gets absorbed?`The range is certainly there.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Whats stopping a magsorc from casting it and then continue blasting a another player while all ranged damage gets absorbed?`The range is certainly there.

They still have to disengage, turn around and do damage.

At that point you can close down the gap and move passed the ball.

I don't see any sorcs play like this anyway. Everyone I see that uses it is to reposition/run away.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any sorcs play like this anyway. Everyone I see that uses it is to reposition/run away.

this doesnt work. ur attacks can even turn around 180 ° to the ball of lightning when ur close to it which is super weird.

aslong as the person dont move away from the bol so that its in ur back nothing works.

i feel like many stamina players commenthing here.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do believe that something about this stun CC from streak is bugged as almost always it is causing an "unbreakable" stun. You know, one of those that you have to "wait over" as despite having 30K stamina left - you can not break free.
    The tooltip only state that this stun is unblockable, that it is going through block - but that is something different than unbreakable...

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

this doesnt work. ur attacks can even turn around 180 ° to the ball of lightning when ur close to it which is super weird.

aslong as the person dont move away from the bol so that its in ur back nothing works.

Dude, I literally said I main mag sorc. And I don't use BOL so it's not "don't nerf the skill I like". My second most played class is probably mag NB, who has more issue than any other class with this type of skill.

Plus BOL affects bow attacks, other ranged attacks, gap closers etc so will still potentially affect stam.

Believe it or not, not everyone just plays one class, or just Stam or just mag. Some of us have an opinion that isn't emotionally driven.

If it absorbs projectiles when you're beyond it, then it's bugged and should be fixed, I agree.

And I don't see anyone playing like that. Literally everyone using it is kiting or running away.

Using it, then walking backwards into does not seem like an efficient way to fight.

I"m not saying it's not strong, but I don't think you can compare it to (old) wings and warden shield. It's nowhere as easy to apply as those are in an actual fight.

It is strong and probably needs some adjustments (a cap on projectiles would be good).

BUT, it is usually used to run away from fights and doesn't create a "I can hit you but you can't hit me" type of gameplay.
    Edited by Brrrofski on April 13, 2021 1:04PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

BUT, it is usually used to run away from fights and doesn't create a "I can hit you but you can't hit me" type of gameplay.

but this is how EUPC players use the skill. they use the ball of lightning as a shield and ball of lightning renders everything useless in magicka builds. even procsets proc on bol.

it goes like teleport close to enemy and attack. enemy starts offense. sorc again teleports and attack. repeat untill u burst enemy down. mean while the person attacked by the sorc has no opportunity to hit back becouse of dark dealing and heavy attacks just refill the magicka <--- skill doesnt cost even much so that u actually wouldnt need that.... but just im stating that u can do it indefinately while opponent can only watch how u nuke his hp.

as i said before if this is not OP then i want melee immunity for dragonknight wings

how can u not see that this is broken

3 secs is overkill. either put limit on projectiles or make it 1 sec so that it has the use of not getting knocked down when u streak away.
    Edited by Noctus on April 13, 2021 2:00PM
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I play most classes, but love my stamsorc. I think without BOL they move from B tier to D tier. If it is adjusted I would say all it needs is to catch a limited number of projectiles rather than all of them for 3 secs. I enjoy it the way it is though and a gap closer and a well timed stun is all you need to counter it. It's very strong, but I wouldn't say it's broken.

Most busted skill in the game for me is arctic on a warden, it heals too much and does too much. I don't think it's worth making a thread though... Just saying...
    Edited by relentless_turnip on April 13, 2021 5:50PM
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play most classes, but love my stamsorc. I think without BOL they move from B tier to D tier. If it is adjusted I would say all it needs is to catch a limited number of projectiles rather than all of them for 3 secs. I enjoy it the way it is though and a gap closer and a well timed stun is all you need to counter it. It's very strong, but I wouldn't say it's broken.

Most busted skill in the game for me is arctic on a warden, it heals too much and does too much. I don't think it's worth making a thread though... Just saying...

If all classes had tools with a power similar to arctic or bol I wouldnt mind them at all (except for bol absorbing empowering chains that is because an escape ability whose counter is a gapcloser negating a gapcloser is flat out dumb). But if only some classes have such powerful tools and others dont thats a problem.
    Before anyone talks about homogenization, Im not asking for a copy of bol or arctic, Im asking for any kind of ability with a similar power budget.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before anyone talks about homogenization, Im not asking for a copy of bol or arctic, Im asking for any kind of ability with a similar power budget.

The spreadsheet balancing was the worst thing that happend to class identity if you'd ask me. Not all classes are equal in their play style so in some cases those "overbudget" abilities are needed.

I was all for changing BoL to absorb X amount of projectiles over Y seconds + changing some skills to non-projectiles. But if that's what bothering you how about this: the ball absorbs everything for Y seconds that passes in Z meters. So neither can you attack them nor they could do what annoys you? :trollface:
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The spreadsheet balancing was the worst thing that happend to class identity if you'd ask me. Not all classes are equal in their play style so in some cases those "overbudget" abilities are needed.

I was all for changing BoL to absorb X amount of projectiles over Y seconds + changing some skills to non-projectiles. But if that's what bothering you how about this: the ball absorbs everything for Y seconds that passes in Z meters. So neither can you attack them nor they could do what annoys you? :trollface:

read my edit on the post. i think its the smartest way to solve it
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It still absorbs my gap closer which is supposed to counter it. Annoyance enough. But otherwise this would be a really amusing change which I wouldnt have a problem with ;)

The theory behind spreadsheet balancing is sound. But in practice it doesnt really work right now. You cant tell me that for example stamdk operates on a similar power level as stamcro/stamden do.

What I think is the worst thing that happened to class identity is the removal of strong, class defining abilities on some classes, or them getting nerfed into uselessness on other classes (looking at you sun shield). Imo either all classes should have strong abilities like bol/arctic/blastbones etc. or none, and for the record I´d prefer if all classes had them. But you dont give some classes such abilites but not others because thats asking for balance issues.

• LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many sorcerer PvPers (also PvEers).
    Threads about "sorcerers are over powered" may trigger forum PvP... ;)
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rahar wrote: »
    Throwing in my 2c as a magsorc main: Absorb projectile effects are usually ok, but BoL is a special case. It needs to be limited in some capacity.

The EXPONENTIALLY increasing magicka cost isn't enough of a limit?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good for getting away in zergs. I rarely see a Sorc turtle in it.