The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

So, what about shock staves? [New CP] / General destruction staves discussion

lQrukl
lQrukl
✭✭✭✭
After removing Exploiter passive from CP shock staves look like not very usefull.
Healers/Offtanks will uptime Brittle with ice staves, dds will use fire staffs/daggers.
Seems there is no place for shock damage.

That could be a chance to review destruction staves per se, btw.

Fire staves are too good for dd comparing with other staves (DK's debuff, new Behemoth mask, light attack/singe target meta, etc). Why we can use only 1/3 of destro staves? I mean, it's weapon for destruction, why 2/3 of that should be healer's/tank's weapon? I saw many players (besides me) that would like play with e.g. shock staff, but they cannot because of tonn of damage lost.

And now we get that duals even more effective (For mages!), then the only effective magic weapon in the game.

It seems that soon there will be no difference at all between stam and mag dd lol (except for different skill animations and resource's color).
And that is sad.

P.S.
Fire staff's Pulsar feature ("Fire Pulsar deals additional damage to Burning and low health enemies") still isn't repaired and doesn't work on both Live/PTS >:C

P.P.S.
I don't know any tank that useses Destructive Clench as taunt or Pulsar as Minor Protection's Source.
P.P.P.S
And for the love of Mara and bless of Meridia, bring magplar-dd back from the grave! I dont wanna spec my main into a healer T.T
  • Jayroo
    Jayroo
    ✭✭✭✭
    so the minor maim thing was why brittle wasn't staying up?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jayroo wrote: »
    so the minor maim thing was why brittle wasn't staying up?

Yes:

“Minor Brittle: Fixed an issue where this debuff could not be applied via the Chill status effect if a target had a longer duration of Minor Maim active.”

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/559360/pts-patch-notes-v6-3-0
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lQrukl what do you mean by this
    And now we get that duals even more effective (For mages!), then the only effective magic weapon in the game
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • lQrukl
    lQrukl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    And now we get that duals even more effective (For mages!), then the only effective magic weapon in the game

@Beardimus Most of magica builds do more damage with daggers/axes then with inferno staves on PTS now.
    Edited by lQrukl on February 28, 2021 11:23AM
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lightning staves will still buff AoE damage, and still have a channeled heavy attack (which many prefer for various reasons/situations). They might not be the meta choice, but they still have a pretty solid footing as far as I can see.

I know I won't be trading mine out for fire staves any time soon; but I don't adhere to the meta, so maybe I just don't belong in these discussions. :shrug:

Just sayin', they're still good even if they're not "best". And lots of people choose them for variety and/or thematic reasons, too.

For real, though... RIP Exploiter passive :'(

• Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    My pvp magicka templar is mostly AOE damage so will continue to use the lightning staff.

I would also think anyone that wants to maximize their AOE damage would use the lightning staff. You might even run lightning on one bar and fire on the other so you can easily switch between AOE and single target.
  • Armethius
    Armethius
    ✭✭✭
    Sheuib wrote: »
    My pvp magicka templar is mostly AOE damage so will continue to use the lightning staff.

I would also think anyone that wants to maximize their AOE damage would use the lightning staff. You might even run lightning on one bar and fire on the other so you can easily switch between AOE and single target.

Agreed I have lightning aoe bar that I swap out skills and set with fire direct damage on my warden. It’s even to the point where certain nights you will feel the weakness to a particular element in an alliance. The more nimble you can be the more you can exploit. Even frost can throw veterans off bc no one uses it.

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lQrukl wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »

@Beardimus Most of magica builds do more damage with daggers/axes then with inferno staves on PTS now.

@lQrukl really, as that seriously has my interest. I ran MagDW for years and they nerfed it repeatedly over time and the opportunity cost of running it lessened (I.e. it was the only way for 5:5:2 setup etc)

If it's back on the frame that's pretty exciting as wizards running wands is pretty boring.

Your gist is about running all 3 elements but think my desire is wider have pros and cons of multiple weopon choices

I'm interested what they have done and if it's intended
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lightning staff still procs off balance which is used by magDKs using Flame Lash. Also lightning damage's status effect comes with minor vulnerability so if your group doesn't have that debuff the lightning staff comes with it.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • lQrukl
    lQrukl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Also lightning damage's status effect comes with minor vulnerability...
    Nerco/warden can uptime it. At least there is Infallible Mage set. There is no point in that status effect, its not unic like Brittle.

MagDK at least can use other morf of whip. I can't imagine that 2 heals would take 2 shock staves only for buff 1 DK.

• Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lQrukl wrote: »
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Also lightning damage's status effect comes with minor vulnerability...
    Nerco/warden can uptime it. At least there is Infallible Mage set. There is no point in that status effect, its not unic like Brittle.

MagDK at least can use other morf of whip. I can't imagine that 2 heals would take 2 shock staves only for buff 1 DK.

I don't like that other morph as it really eats into sustain due to the fact it lacks the cost decrease of the Power Lash proc. Sure in the hands of a skilled player the DPS can be higher but I personally just don't like what it does to my already pitiful sustain. But this isn't a Dragonknight thread and I did mention it could be used if the group already lacks said debuffs. I know Nightblades can apply it as well with Lotus Fan which is interesting.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is clear that Shock Staves need a new Minor debuff (a la Minor Brittle) attached to it to give it a place in PvE content.

Minor Vulnerability USED to be rare but it has been shared out to almost an infinite number of alternative sources such that an actual Shock Staff is hardly necessary to apply it to a target.

Easy solution for ZOS, strip Minor Vulnerability from the Shock Staff and replace it with:

Minor Superconductive - Attacks against this enemy gain 258 Weapon and Spell Damage.
    Edited by YandereGirlfriend on February 28, 2021 9:12PM
  • Bodycounter
    Bodycounter
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought people took lightning staff because of off-balance and not minor vulnerability?

But yes, it's currently a bad game design that fire staff is the only viable option for magicka classes. In the new patch two axes are most likely better than lightning/frost staff and that's just sad. Don't get me wrong i love the option to take a sword on a magicka class, but destruction staff should still be competitive.

Another thing that bothers me: I dislike playing a fire staff on classes like Warden oder Necromancer. It just does not fit their theme. I would like to be another one added like arcane or something.
    Edited by Bodycounter on March 1, 2021 9:41AM
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought people took lightning staff because of off-balance and not minor vulnerability?

But yes, it's currently a bad game design that fire staff is the only viable option for magicka classes. In the new patch two axes are most likely better than lightning/frost staff and that's just sad. Don't get me wrong i love the option to take a sword on a magicka class, but destruction staff should still be competitive.

Another thing that bothers me: I dislike playing a fire staff on classes like Warden oder Necromancer. It just does not fit their theme. I would like to be another one added like arcane or something.

People did used to run shock staves for Off Balance, but the CP that provided bonus damage against Off Balance targets no longer exists.