The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Morrowind (ES3)

robwolf666
robwolf666
✭✭✭✭✭
I know it's not ESO related, but it is ES related, sorry, so...

I just found Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind in the Backward Compatible section of the XBox store... Question: Is it worth buying?
With it being so old now, will it be an enjoyable experience with the dated graphics etc?
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would encourage you to watch channels that stream it on Twitch to see if you think you'd enjoy it before you decide whether or not to buy it.

Speaking purely for myself, I played TES3:Morrowind after having played TES4:Oblivion, and both the graphics and the overall game mechanics of Morrowind as compared to Oblivion were initially off-putting to me. However, it didn't take long for me to become hooked on it, because the depth and complexity of the game and its storyline pulled me in.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 year old game is severely outdated with little features terrible visuals,,pixelated squared looking characters,,tiny map,laughable combat,pretty much anything. Leave Nostalgia at side. Honest opinion no, the only TES worthy is Skyrim there is a massive gap between TES34/ - V Skyrim held for incredibly long especially heavily modded all of them pale in comparison to ESO. They are basically less than nothing.

Comparing Current TES games to ESO is same as comparing your average Imperial solider to a God of Oblivion,
    Edited by Vanya on February 27, 2021 12:31PM
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played TES3 back in 2002 and it had blown my mind back then. I completed it three times when expansions were released and it felt like the greatest game ever made. I reinstalled it last year and got the graphic mods but the game didn't age well. You can modernize it a bit visually (at least on PC) but the actual game part of it feels old and clunky. I'd still recommend trying it out, story and lore-wise it's the pinnacle of TES games IMO.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started playing the TES games with Skyrim, so I freely admit to having heavily modded the more frustrating parts of TES 3 gameplay so it played more like TES Oblivion. Frankly, I wanted to experience the game for its amazing story, not for its 2002 C-RPG gameplay. I know the purists will pan me for that, but they can deal. I love Morrowind for its story, not its messed up leveling system and foot-dragging walking speed.

If having the "vanilla" experience is important to you or you've taken a look at TES 3's graphics and gameplay and think you'll like it, go for it! As a game, it's obviously old compared to RPG design now but for its time it was pretty amazing. It's a very solid game, gameplay wise, just not to my tastes.

If you'd rather be able to mod and change the things that frustrate you so you can experience the story without hating the gameplay, I'd strongly recommend getting it on PC for the modding community instead.

(Side note: if you do play Morrowind, I recommend playing with some of the weapons you can't get in other TES games like spears and throwing knives. Abuse levitation for everything its worth. TES 3 has some really unique experiences to offer.)
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 27, 2021 12:56PM
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still like tes3 and i think it ages pretty well comparedvwith other games from that time, and better than tes4.
    There are a ton of mods, graphical and story mods, openMW etc. The modded game still looks decent, the gameplay is still ok, leveling system is still better than skyrim, and the story and overall game size is huge

The only Problem i havr with it that i get motion sickness when i play the game for a few hours, had that as a kid aswell, but iften played through it
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started the Elder Scrolls with Skyrim and then dug myself backwards into the lore. The last time Morrowind was on sale on steam I bought it and gave it a shot.

It is a very strange game and not for everyone. Some people will be able to deal with it, others won't.
    There are no quest markers, you have to remember what the NPC told you about where to go.
    There is a map, but you don't know where you are on the map because there is no marker on your position, so you have to actually navigate by looking around, which isn't that easy due to the small render distance, but still very much possible if you have a general clue of your location based on where you started.
    Hitting an enemy does not guarantee success for your attack, rather just like in table top RPGs you have a chance to miss, which is substantially high at the start of the game especially when you picked a bad combination of race and weapon.
    The game does not hold your hand. You will have to figure a lot of things out yourself. There might be an Argonian head in a basket that you can just take and sell for 100 gold, but trying to do so is actually a crime because of course it is.

That being said, I still recommend getting the game. It's very cheap and once Skywind (recreating Morrowind in Skyrim project) is complete, you will have to own both TES3 Morrowind and TES5 Skyrim to play it. I am not sure if Skywind will release for Xbox though since it is technically a mod.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As one of my favorite games, I would say YES! BUT there are things to consider.

A BOMB. On Xbox original if your game hit the limit the game could become unplayble and the game will not load or something. Never happened to me, only got 1/2 way into the game until my three year old erased my 250 hour game and just didn't have the heart or time to redo all of it again.

Walking is SLOW. REAL SLOW. That can be off putting to many especially how we are use to unrealistic speeds in todays game.

No hand holding. Try and find the small puzzle box in a dungeon. :P No arrows to tell you where to go. You will have to figure everything out or go on the net and find out what to do.

A few written mistakes. It will say go west when in fact you needed to go east.

Combat is by percentage. Just because you think you "hit" the die roll will tell you otherwise. You will have to level up your sword skills if you want to hit more and do more damage. Just like in real life. Hold a claymore for the first time you will not be doing damage or hitting at all in real combat.

Game has a bit of "realism" in that way for speeds and combat.

That said, we have levitation. Mark and recall spells. You can make your own spells. Forget if we can make scrolls or that is Daggerfall.

Spears Gandalf. There are spears. Beautiful spears. Not sure if you will get the joke.

Love the game, might replay it on my xbox and suffer through some off the negatives.

Just look out for the boots of blinding speed. It gives you a speed of 200 so you walk and run even faster. That improves the speed completely. :wink:
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have closed this thread. We thank you for your interest in the other Elder Scrolls titles, however as this is the ESO forums all discussions must be directly related to ESO in some why. Because this thread is not about ESO we have closed it, however if you wish to discuss the other Elder Scrolls games you can do so on the associated Bethesda forums located here. Additionally, here is a link to take you directly to the Morrowind forum.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on February 27, 2021 2:37PM
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.