The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Max physical/spell resistances in PVP and you don't need crit resistance??

ShrunkKoala5080
ShrunkKoala5080
Soul Shriven
I've heard this several times and can not get a straight forward answer as to why this would be the case. I thought the two were mutually exclusive, especially considering the 50% you may not be mitigating. I have even had some suggest that I should change all my pieces from inpen to other if I have max physical/spell resistances. Is any of this correct?? Apologies if this is something I should already know and thanks in advance.
Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on January 26, 2021 1:03PM

Best Answers

• yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in CP PVP you are doing it very wrong without 3k crit resist.

Resistances are great for mitigating damage and they are critical when it comes to non critical hits, but they critically fail when you are hit with a critical strike.

Critically, you need to be a better critic of those who would criticize your play style and continue to use critical resistance in your build.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    Answer ✓
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Critical resistances and normal resistances are two different things, therefore it is very important to include both in your pvp builds.

Spell and physical resistances mitigate the damage you get generally. In PvE resistance cap lies just a little bit above 33k, still in PvP enemies have penetration and lower you reistances. Therefore even going for more than 33k resistances can be advantageous. Reaching the resistance cap or almost resistance cap does not make up for going lower crit resistances. Crit resistances mitigates the enemies critical strikes. Those strikes will still crit on you even when you have lots of crit resistances, but the crit modifier will be lower and therefore you kind of are protected against critical strikes.

So you see, you will need both for PvP and just maximizing one of them will not make the other one useless.

In general I recommend going as much impen pieces as you can and put point into the specific cp star to get additional 1k crit resistances. This should be a value you should aim for (7 times 250 plus 1000 from cps is around 2750 crit resistances).

Sorry for not using the word critic enough in my explanation.
    Answer ✓
  • ShrunkKoala5080
    ShrunkKoala5080
    Soul Shriven
    yodased - thanks for critically assessing this critical confusion and providing the much valued criticism. ESO is fraught with critics critically criticizing without the critical analysis needed to support their conclusions, even those that are applauded for their criticality. You have definitely eliminated the criticalness of this issue and I appreciate your response.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yodased wrote: »

Resistances are great for mitigating damage and they are critical when it comes to non critical hits, but they critically fail when you are hit with a critical strike.

Critically, you need to be a better critic of those who would criticize your play style and continue to use critical resistance in your build.

2K crit resist is more than enough.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vietfox wrote: »

Maybe for you, you mlgproplayer, but for my potatoness I need 3k
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Critical resistance becomes less effective the more normal resistances you have. Reducing crit damage by say 30% while wearing light armor mitigates more damage than if you were using heavy armor.
    That said, I would not use that argument to claim crit resistance isn’t useful with capped resists, because if definitely is.
    Edited by LordTareq on March 15, 2019 4:26PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vietfox wrote: »

Maybe for you, you mlgproplayer, but for my potatoness I need 3k

I would call 2K the bare minimum for the vast majority of the playerbase. Everyone is going to have a different line, but starting around 3k and adjusting from there is pretty solid and standard advice these days.
  • rubulator2k
    rubulator2k
    Soul Shriven
    Does it matter if you wear inpen gear if you pump cp's into crit resistance?

i.e. do you have to wear a certain # of inpen pieces in order for inpen to work?
  • AweBiTr
    AweBiTr
    ✭✭

I have 50k resist and only 500 crit resist...
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AweBiTr wrote: »

I have 50k resist and only 500 crit resist...

Impossible because the base critical resistance after the Greymoor patch is 1,350.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would argue that resistances will benefit you more in PVP than crit. resistances playing in a climate in which proc sets are better mitigated by non-crit resistances and lowers damage from the mythic band - that is also frequently used. This is where penetration boosts damage from proc and skill damage sources. You don't need a high weapon or primary resource pool to deal damage; when combined with high health you can be very tanks in PVP thanks to the base 1350 crit resist and CP allocation for 2k+ crit resistance. For these reasons, the difference between crit and non-crit resistances gets smaller.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Sahidom. The more people that use Malacath the less crit resist becomes a thing.
  • Doczy
    Doczy
    ✭✭✭
    bro no one uses crit. cuz everyone using malacath :disappointed:
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doczy wrote: »
    bro no one uses crit. cuz everyone using malacath :disappointed:
    Meet my stamblade. She uses Acuity. You can play the odds and perhaps in no CP that's a good idea. You will get caught out from time to time, though.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I thought since most people are using malacath that I could use infused tri-stat glyphs on everything and be ok.

Na... I'm getting shredded out there.
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well....

Regular resistance reduces the damage of crits and non crits alike.

The optimal solution currently, is to maximize regular resistance, and only invest in crit resistance, when regular resistance is either maxed or not easily available.

There is simply no way to gain enough crit resistance per item pcs or whatever to make it competitive, when you look at the numbers.

I am ofc talking from at no CP point of view. I know CP may have crit resist easier available in a competitive amount through the stars. Have no clue ;)
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But to the statement; It is false.

Adding crit resist on top of maxed out regular resist will decrease damage taken further still.

PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol you’ll think you can run no crit resistance until you run across a Khajiit with high crit and high pen.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't run less than 3k crit resistance. Not everyone uses Malacath.

When I want to be tanky, on my templar I run 50k resistances, 5000 spell damage, and block heal with sword and board. Combos are real vicious. Had a low resource pool, so I had to stick and move.

It really upset all the NBs, poor things.
    Edited by soniku4ikblis on February 16, 2021 8:48PM
    __._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Any non malacath balorgh build that crits on you will hit you hard even at max resistances or if the enemy has a respectable amount of pen.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're ganking in no CP, you don't need any crit resistance. But if you're going to do any kind of brawling then you want crit resistance, especially while no one is wearing malacath.
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is now (not during the pc test tho) critical to play crit damage builds, because everyone expects only malacath and have less crit resist. Mechanical acuity on every char.

Except on stam warden lol. She wears mala.