Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fewer new systems in 2021

cmetzger93
cmetzger93
✭✭✭✭✭
When the 2020 retrospective letter was published Matt Firor said they will be devoting more time to performance and stability which is a good sentiment but they said they will also not be focusing on implementing new systems to the game.
The general consensus on the forums is that it has always been different teams focusing on performance and features. Would you be disappointed if there was no new “feature” for the 2021 chapter?

Fewer new systems in 2021 177 votes

Yes, I would be disappointed
37%
laurajfMalaVrazicaCireousSolarikentheyanceycalitrumanb14_ESODarcyMardinFaulgorBeolundDracaneCyberOnEsoaubrey.baconb16_ESOwild_kmacdb16_ESOadriant1978LaerothKeykalynDaemons_BanebellatrixedCave_CanemDavorMettaricana 66 votes
No, I wouldn’t be disappointed
62%
InklingsKesstrylhaploeb14_ESOssewallb14_ESOGigasaxninibiniDylontDarkstorneDTStormfoxTheHugeDwarfmagnusthorekLarsSErythorBloodsheildYukon2112AektannBlueVioletNukeAllTheThingsWolfpawKwoungPath 111 votes
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are different teams, but now the performance team pretty much said to the systems team "what you are doing is making our job impossible. Can you please stop? Or slow down. Or make something that doesn't affect performance?" At least that is the story they seem to be running with. Just wait until the end of this year when no new systems have been added but performance still sucks :D
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can we really call that a chapter if there is no new feature
    It would be a dlc
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be a dlc

Maybe they'll sell it for a lower price? :D
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be a dlc

Pretty much this, though the "distinction" between chapters and DLC was rather suspect to begin with (something I didn't understand at the time, but do now).
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rich Lambert the creative director has said in a German eso community stream that quote

"we may have something to say about the champion system rework as soon as Q1 2021"
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, don't think Antiquities and the Stickerbook had any effect on performance at all in the last chapter. As long as "New Systems" are not combat related, I don''t see why we shouldn't see any new things on the horizon, um, especially new housing things. :relaxed:
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be a dlc

There will no doubt be new features and I think they were talking about 2021 as a whole not just the Q2 Chapter. It seems fair to be they want to cut back on new features in order to focus on the performance of this game because right its pretty shocking. I suspect their usual plan of 2 dungeon dlc updates and 2 story zone updates will continue as planned like previous years.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the price. If they charge a full, premium price for the chapter but only give a map, trial and some cosmetics, then yes I’ll be disappointed. I was already put off that Greymoor offered so little compared to the previous chapters for the same cost.

But if they deliver regular DLC content for regular DLC prices I will have zero complaints, and wish them luck in the performance improvements.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    There will be no game in 2022. Pretty sure of it.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The answer depends maybe a bit on how you play. If you (like me) don't do PvP, performance issues are less of a problem. Accordingly, it would be nice if something new comes up.
    linuxlady wrote: »

Hopefully that won't be the case.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, why? There are already too many systems, most of which are useless or hardly used.
    The number of skill lines goes up, but the spell slots stay the same. Same for sets, 90% are never even used.

All new systems do is make it harder for new players to adapt, because as time goes by they have more to catch up with.

The only new system that might be worthwhile is a CP rework, but that wouldn't be "new", unless they're gonna replace it from top to bottom.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • FangOfTheTwoMoons
    FangOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can barely balance the game as it is. Adding more crap into it would just be a mess.

Unless it's some type if QoL system like the collection's.
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You know that there are mmos from 1999 that are still getting Updates?
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They said the same thing about "focusing on performance" for the past 2 years and not much has improved, so it just feels like an excuse for not adding cool new things at this point.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rework existing systems to make them more interesting first.

Deeper, not broader.
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ESO is one of the most popular MMOs on the market with regular content updates and is in zero danger of dying anytime soon. I swear this game must be some people's very first MMO... if you want to see a dead MMO go look at Age of Conan, where the lights are still on but they haven't had a major content release since 2011. Even SWTOR puts out new content about every two YEARS whereas ESO has multiple major updates a year.

Just saying
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • Akrasjel
    Akrasjel
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't also guarantee that performance and stability will improve in a reasonable way
    [PC][EU][Daggerfall Covenant]
    Akrasjel Lanate - Imperial Nightblade | 50 | CP900+
    Born: 2E 551

Member of: | Traders of the Covenant | Hammerfell Trading | Imperial Trading Company |
    Houses: Strident Springs Demesne,

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually thought 2020 was supposed to be the year of stability and performance. Scrying and excavation were completely unnecessary, I could have done without gating BiS gear behind grinding early-2000’s era mobile games. So yeah, definitely fine with no new systems like those and a genuine focus on fixing the many issues with the game.

Still hoping for Spellcrafting at some point in the future though.
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see a difference between "new systems" and "new features":

- Excavation as implemented in Greymoor DLC is a new system: 2 mini-games that require additional development.

- Psijic skill line as implemented in Summerset DLC is new features: barrels to loot in the shape of glowing breaches, skills using mostly existing assets with shape tweaks (new systems would be game mechanics or Rites of Moawita which AFAIK is the first skill to heal by light attack).

Considering this, I don't mind if we have no new systems in 2021.
    I would be disappointed by a Chapter without new features though.
    Edited by MerguezMan on January 24, 2021 9:22AM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. There is enough good quality content and systems in ESO for it to be best MMO on the market. All it takes to actually deserve that title is to fix bugs & performance issues...

In fact, I would go even further - no new content (or less, like one dungeon DLC and one story DLC) per year till game is fixed.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 24, 2021 9:38AM
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what was scrapped. If it's one more roleplay thingy like antiquities I can't care less, buy if it's something significant like cp rework, classes improvement or gear/spec loadouts it's completely different talk.
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not oppose new content such as Crown Store items or collectables.
    However, ZOS should really focus more on stability and performance IMO.
    New content and features do get new players in but I feel like they are 'emptying the ocean with a thimble' because I know many people who left the game because of instability and low game performance.
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure of the opposite.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we would get less new systems I wouldn't be dissapointed IF we would see an actuall performance and stability improvements rather then just promisses to get them.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I would be disappointed. I don't know if it is Matt's decision or his bosses, but I don't like the way ESO is going now. Paying more for less. With Elsewere. (spelling?) I was gutted there was no physical collector's edition. So if Zenimax can't be bothered because they want to save pennies, then I can't be bothered to buy anymore of their physical products now.

So having nothing new and yet paying more, I will be disappointed. After all I don't mind paying for great quality. Thing is, Matt or his bosses are not giving us great quality after Elsewere.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their advertisements for the stream, have said they will talk (among other things) about the new systemS coming to ESO this year.

This is curious for 2 reasons. Firstly, ESO never really got several systems a year. Only one, actually. In my book, systems add something global and everpresent to the game. Including housing, jewelry crafting, treasure hunt and guild skill lines.

Didn't we always have only 1 of these per year? So them saying there will be even less is strange, even more so since they advertise systemS in the posts. You can not do less than one, unless it means there will be no new systems at all. Maybe my understanding of what a system is, is off.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I answering no but with a caveat, namely that performance does improve. I mean, I might be a bit put out but if we really do get improved performance I can live with a year without a new "shiny".
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Their advertisements for the stream, have said they will talk (among other things) about the new systemS coming to ESO this year.

This is curious for 2 reasons. Firstly, ESO never really got several systems a year. Only one, actually. In my book, systems add something global and everpresent to the game. Including housing, jewelry crafting, treasure hunt and guild skill lines.

Didn't we always have only 1 of these per year? So them saying there will be even less is strange, even more so since they advertise systemS in the posts. You can not do less than one, unless it means there will be no new systems at all. Maybe my understanding of what a system is, is off.

I vaguely recall they said something last year about changing the CP system this year, which is going to be mighty interesting if they do. And have disaster written all over imo.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RedMuse wrote: »
    Dracane wrote: »

I vaguely recall they said something last year about changing the CP system this year, which is going to be mighty interesting if they do. And have disaster written all over imo.

I wish I could even care about this anymore. I have switched to no CP and could not care less. Unless it finally makes CP balanced and stops enabling immortal god builds.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm torn honestly these year long dlcs don't really have any meat to them 4 hour stories that can blown through in before lunch and long grueling hikes across empty terrain with forgettable quests. Then zos adds lackluster features elswyer the only savings grace was the necromancer if it wasn't added that entire year would have been a snooze fest, same can be said for morrowind story was kinda long but lotta running across empty landscape if the warden wasn't there to fluff up some new life ot may have also flopped. Since cp stopped getting cap increases and every dlc seems to be getting smaller and shorter. It may not be best idea to hold back too many systems but at same time game is a dumpsterfire of performance(nothing new)
    Also wish they'd clarify new systems class, skillline, mechanic, spellcrafting, skill crafting, weapon line,flying mounts(jk), mounted combat, new crafting line, another buggy trial??? Whats a feature to them less crown crate season's!?

Maybe they should stop this year long nonsense start dropping assorted dlcs again like more meaty zones like wrothgar was that was alot of content plus an arena thays still popular today. And as far as new skill lines and classes just work on those seperate and just add them to crown store as an in between content drought filler new classes that dont forcefully cater the entire dlc around themselves like greymore and vampires or elswyer and necromancers. Warden was a good example the class didnt affect the zone wasn't a warden Uprising just something new they could stick in the game.