The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Screenshot, For Azura's Sake

• Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    nukk3r wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I very rarely take screenshots in ESO because not being able to use emotes, mementos, have any control over basic lighting, zoom, camera angles, or depth of field, makes it frustrating. At least for "selfies". I don't need ALL of that but I'd like a proper zoom and control over the camera, at least. The rest would be awesome, though!

You can control the camera via horizontal and vertical offset, zoom with FOV. There are some rudimentary DOF settings built in game already, and if you play on PC you can get better DOF with Reshade's CinematicDOF shader. And you absolutely can use emotes/mementos/skills.
    5ewwXml.jpg
    oHRzA0r.jpg

You cannot do any of that on console.

I checked and it turns out you can do that on consoles as of July 2020, doubt they removed the settings from the game. Watch at 8:40
    https://youtu.be/g0TkbM_WGjY?t=526

And there's a Screenshot Mode under Video settings.

Hmm, I think there might be a really basic misunderstanding going on. I know about those settings (most console players probably do) but they're not at all what I meant by camera settings for screenshots. I didn't realize that's what pc players meant and assumed they had a camera interface in screenshot mode. Also, I can take a screenshot of an emote or mememto but only with the UI visible, using screenshot mode (even if I have them quickslotted) disables them.

What I'm asking for from ESO, which I probably should have been more specific about, is an interface within screenshot mode where it's possible to zoom in very close and to pan the camera around. Controls that would allow me to take shots of my character from many perspectives.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very rarely take screenshots in ESO because not being able to use emotes, mementos, have any control over basic lighting, zoom, camera angles, or depth of field, makes it frustrating. At least for "selfies". I don't need ALL of that but I'd like a proper zoom and control over the camera, at least. The rest would be awesome, though!

You can control the camera via horizontal and vertical offset, zoom with FOV. There are some rudimentary DOF settings built in game already, and if you play on PC you can get better DOF with Reshade's CinematicDOF shader. And you absolutely can use emotes/mementos/skills.
    5ewwXml.jpg
    oHRzA0r.jpg

I checked and it turns out you can do that on consoles as of July 2020, doubt they removed the settings from the game. Watch at 8:40

The screenshot mode just removes the UI. You cannot use emotes or anything like that while doing it. See above response about the camera settings.

You can see how it can look a bit awkward as a result when I made a video showcasing a house.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/556889/christmas-magic-snowglobe#latest

Start at around 6 minutes in and you'll see I point out there is missle toe on the door. And I blow a kiss to the audience. The animation looks janky because what I had to do was exist screenshot mode, play the emote, and then go back into screenshot mode. And then edit out the interface in share factory. I cannot play emotes in screenshot mode.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 11, 2021 3:20AM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to be able to play with angles more but I wouldn't call it a top priority. I can get okay screenshots now.

5ZrnnGA.jpg

GEhabSm.jpg

I played around in photoshop with this one just for fun.

AqVdPYu.jpg

This one is an example of how different angles would really help. Couldn't show how high up the mast I managed to get without zooming way out.

nRP4w5i.jpg

QX90AU4.jpg

and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5ewwXml.jpg
    oHRzA0r.jpg

The screenshot mode just removes the UI. You cannot use emotes or anything like that while doing it. See above response about the camera settings.

You can see how it can look a bit awkward as a result when I made a video showcasing a house.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/556889/christmas-magic-snowglobe#latest

Start at around 6 minutes in and you'll see I point out there is missle toe on the door. And I blow a kiss to the audience. The animation looks janky because what I had to do was exist screenshot mode, play the emote, and then go back into screenshot mode. And then edit out the interface in share factory. I cannot play emotes in screenshot mode.

So you can't bind it to any button on a gamepad?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting the impression that what some players want is the photo mode from games like Spider-man or Ghost of Tsushima where you can pause the action and then adjust not just the camera angle but the lighting, the character's pose, things like camera focus and apeture, add (or remove) effects and all kinds of other stuff. It's like an actual camera and a basic version of Photoshop built into the game.

Here's an example of how it works in the new Spider-man game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=107E5KOQ6xo

I don't think it would be possible or practical to include the pause aspect in an MMO. If it paused everything around you it would be a dream come true for trolls - run into the middle of a busy area, hit pause and keep everyone stuck there indefinitely, or release them for a second then freeze them again, and again, and again. If it only froze your character then it would be useless for most 'action shots', anything involving NPCs, other players or basically anything else that moves but it could be marginally useful for taking selfies from odd angles or while doing emotes. (The current alternative, again on PC, not sure how this works on console, is to mash the screenshot button then pick the best of the screenshots afterwards.)

Some of the other options I suppose could be useful, like being able to adjust lighting and particle effects, but again it depends on how much of that is done client side (on your machine) and how much is done by the servers and therefore can't be changed for just one player. I doubt anyone would find it useful if you just got the lighting right for your screenshot and then saw it change because someone near by wanted different lighting for the one they're taking.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I'm getting the impression that what some players want is the photo mode from games like Spider-man or Ghost of Tsushima where you can pause the action and then adjust not just the camera angle but the lighting, the character's pose, things like camera focus and apeture, add (or remove) effects and all kinds of other stuff. It's like an actual camera and a basic version of Photoshop built into the game.

I don't think it would be possible or practical to include the pause aspect in an MMO. If it paused everything around you it would be a dream come true for trolls - run into the middle of a busy area, hit pause and keep everyone stuck there indefinitely, or release them for a second then freeze them again, and again, and again. If it only froze your character then it would be useless for most 'action shots', anything involving NPCs, other players or basically anything else that moves but it could be marginally useful for taking selfies from odd angles or while doing emotes. (The current alternative, again on PC, not sure how this works on console, is to mash the screenshot button then pick the best of the screenshots afterwards.)

Some of the other options I suppose could be useful, like being able to adjust lighting and particle effects, but again it depends on how much of that is done client side (on your machine) and how much is done by the servers and therefore can't be changed for just one player. I doubt anyone would find it useful if you just got the lighting right for your screenshot and then saw it change because someone near by wanted different lighting for the one they're taking.

What the thread is asking for is in skyforge, a Russian mmo with a smaller budget.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

I don't know how it's done but FFXIV has stop motion and lighting controls for screenshots, among other settings, and it doesn't affect anyone/anything around you. Maybe ESO couldn't do it, due to differences between the games, but it's possible to have those features in an MMO without creating any problems.