The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Screenshot, For Azura's Sake

Rudrani
Rudrani
✭✭✭✭✭
ZoS, pleeeeease take a page from how SkyForge does screenshots.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hide UI
    Take Screenshot
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ?
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have to go to Controls and bind a key to remove your UI. By default it's unbound. Once you do that you can turn the UI off for screenshots.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can also adjust your camera in settings to angle it just right, or you can go first person and line it up how you want like how you would a handheld camera.
    Edited by Vevvev on December 31, 2020 5:01AM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hide UI
    Take Screenshot

^ This is how I take all my screenshots ... no add-ons needed.

Example below:

VWOtHdI.png
    Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 31, 2020 5:21AM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can manually turn off glows/healthbars/indicators and edit the camera angles in Settings. The UI can be toggled on/off with a hotkey you need to set in controls, but that's all native.

But screenshots are one of the few places I will use addons. ScreenshotHelper ftw. What ScreenshotHelper does is autobinds all of the toggles for indicators with the UI toggle, and also allows you to change the camera angle with a few more buttons while you're in UI off mode (which acts like a camera mode). It's still bound to the native angles so you can't move the camera down, but you still have a lot of freedom side to side to get e.g. two characters in frame

I spend way too much time taking screenshots for storytelling (like I've currently got 2400 screenshots from the last four days of playing that I need to sort though), so I love playing with emotes and the like. ScreenshotHelper is great for that. Action shots are a bit tougher since you have to fight and rotate the camera at the same time, but sometimes I can luck into some great shots there.

And because I'm really proud of these shots and want an excuse to show them off...
    MqHG8f0.png
    nGOQhFG.png
    Edited by tomofhyrule on December 31, 2020 5:50AM
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC people... think base game please.

Also just go check out how Skyforge does it, then come back and go through your setting to turn off all your options that you need on when you play, and then dont be able to do any emote or memento while you have the ui hidden, and cant get any depth of feild... if you then still say "its fine already" you just have no taste.

:)
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ps @tomofhyrule those screenshots are BUFF!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than telling people to go and download and play another game in the hope they'll have the same experiences you have with these features and draw the same conclusions it would be much more effective if you could summarise what you like about that game's screenshots and what you think ZOS could take from it.

What does Skyforge do that ESO doesn't? Why would that benefit ESO? How do you imagine it being integrated into the UI and options we currently have?

Alternatively, or as well, you could show us some screenshots from Skyforge to illustrate what it can do which ESO can't.

At the moment you've given us absolutely no information to go on except that you say it is better in some vague way. That's not giving anyone an incentive to support your idea, which is probably why all you've had is people saying what we've got is fine. It's very unlikely that anyone is going to take the time to download and play a different game just to see whether the screenshots are any better but without doing that and without you telling us no one has any way of knowing if this is a good idea or not.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Tremuto
    Tremuto
    ✭✭✭
    What's a Skyforge? Is that a forge in Western Skyrim?
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tremuto wrote: »

@Tremuto No it's the ancient forge next to Jorrvaskr in Whiterun. No one knows who built it but it was old even at the time of the Five Hundred Companions, so it's origin is in the early parts of the Merethic Era probably.

No idea what is has to do with screenshotting or how it would in any way help though.

But isn't there a "hide UI" option on all platforms? I admit I'm ignorant of how console works, but it's part of the basic options on PC even though it doesn't have an automatic key bound so you have to choose one yourself.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned hiding the UI yet?
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rudrani wrote: »
    ZoS, pleeeeease take a page from how SkyForge does screenshots.

On ps4
    1.Option/start button
    2. Setting
    3. Video
    4.Screenshot mode

• nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tremuto wrote: »

It's a russian MMO.
  • Megatto
    Megatto
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also just go check out how Skyforge does it, then come back and go through your setting to turn off all your options that you need on when you play, and then dont be able to do any emote or memento while you have the ui hidden, and cant get any depth of feild... if you then still say "its fine already" you just have no taste.

You say we have no taste?
    8efd4d69dd65302d431fa02afa94ff0d.png?width=1214&height=683

df5e499f18635b15dcb606383def5e60.png?width=1214&height=683

4a082d9b0f6143f0acf71b634e0f457e.png?width=1214&height=683

N'wah please
    Remove loot boxes or riot
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This game really is far behind in the simplest of features....
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can do the memento/emote: you start it and then hide the UI (also you can keybind them with an addon on PC and they can be activated while UI is hidden), not the most convenient way, but it's still possible.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game really is far behind in the simplest of features....

What feature in regards to screenshot? In other MMORPGs, as well as ESO, you zoom in or out depending on whether or not you want your character in the shot, toggle off the UI, and take your screenshot. What features have you seen in other games?

Regarding some of the things OP brings up, you can still do emotes and I think mementos if you have it in quickslot and can do both without the UI on PC (no add-ons needed) although I have no idea if it works the same on console. Depth-of-field is an option that you can turn on in settings, if you want it. Personally, I don’t care for such effect as it is only how a camera but not our eyes perceive the world.
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depth of Field is not a console option
    You cannot do quickslotted emotes or mementos while in screenshot mode, on console.
    The only thing ESO's "screenshot mode" does is remove the UI. It does not even take off the nameplates, etc.

Skyforge is a free Scifi-Fantasy MMORPG.

It is NOWEHRE near as good as ESO, but these are a few things that it beats eso in:

Your skill bar has the timers / cooldown indicators BUILT IN.

You can get a full dps "combat matrix" on any fight, BUILT IN to the base game.

You can hold R3 down (on PS4) to enter screenshot mode. Here is what happens in screenshot mode...
    • All of the "video game" elements are removed from the screen, only the actual graphics remain
    • You get extensive depth-of-field and focus controls
    • The frame is frozen, and you can swivel your camera and zoom in and out on that frozen frame
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I CAN get the same results as SF on eso using nothing but base game ootions.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also press mouse wheel to turn off crosshair.
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I bind my take screenshot to F9 and hide UI to F12, which matches it with other games I play.

:#
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed OP. I am frankly amazed that a camera mode was not implemented similar to what No Man's Sky uses. One of the best things about ESO is the art, music and storytelling. It's a shame that we do not have better tools to accommodate taking better screenshots.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »

I CAN get the same results as SF on eso using nothing but base game ootions.

Not on console you cannot
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    I very rarely take screenshots in ESO because not being able to use emotes, mementos, have any control over basic lighting, zoom, camera angles, or depth of field, makes it frustrating. At least for "selfies". I don't need ALL of that but I'd like a proper zoom and control over the camera, at least. The rest would be awesome, though!
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very rarely take screenshots in ESO because not being able to use emotes, mementos, have any control over basic lighting, zoom, camera angles, or depth of field, makes it frustrating. At least for "selfies". I don't need ALL of that but I'd like a proper zoom and control over the camera, at least. The rest would be awesome, though!

You can control the camera via horizontal and vertical offset, zoom with FOV. There are some rudimentary DOF settings built in game already, and if you play on PC you can get better DOF with Reshade's CinematicDOF shader. And you absolutely can use emotes/mementos/skills.
    5ewwXml.jpg
    oHRzA0r.jpg
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nukk3r wrote: »

You can control the camera via horizontal and vertical offset, zoom with FOV. There are some rudimentary DOF settings built in game already, and if you play on PC you can get better DOF with Reshade's CinematicDOF shader. And you absolutely can use emotes/mementos/skills.
    5ewwXml.jpg
    oHRzA0r.jpg

You cannot do any of that on console.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭

5ewwXml.jpg
    oHRzA0r.jpg

The previous poster guessed right, I do play on console and don't have any of those options, but thanks :)
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

5ewwXml.jpg
    oHRzA0r.jpg

You cannot do any of that on console.

I checked and it turns out you can do that on consoles as of July 2020, doubt they removed the settings from the game. Watch at 8:40
    https://youtu.be/g0TkbM_WGjY?t=526

And there's a Screenshot Mode under Video settings.
    Edited by nukk3r on January 8, 2021 7:04PM
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depth of Field is not a console option
    You cannot do quickslotted emotes or mementos while in screenshot mode, on console.
    The only thing ESO's "screenshot mode" does is remove the UI. It does not even take off the nameplates, etc.

I don't play with nameplates on, so that's not an issue I ever had. The only thing is when you are in a group, you still have carrots over your group members's heads, so you have to leave the group if you want a clean group shot.

The Moot Councillor