The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crash/Reboot happening 2x/hour. Is it my computer or ESO?

ImmortalCX
ImmortalCX
✭✭✭✭✭
I wasn't having a problem before yesterday. Last night I put it in ultra graphics for a few minutes to see what it looked like, then decided to roll back to med/high for better framerate. Wonder if its related?

Merry Christmas!
Edited by ZOS_Adrikoth on December 26, 2020 2:04PM
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    ImmortalCX wrote: »
    I wasn't having a problem before yesterday. Last night I put it in ultra graphics for a few minutes to see what it looked like, then decided to roll back to med/high for better framerate. Wonder if its related?

Merry Christmas!

ESO...
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uninstall any and all add-ons you have. Delete the add on folder. Trial and error re-install one by one as process of elimination.
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Greetings @ImmortalCX

Please be sure to try the troubleshooting in this article if ESO is crashing on PC!

The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can also be the internet connection
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    General rule of thumb for W10.

Hang is usually game or internet
    Random kick used to usually be internet but nowdays seems to also be game bugs
    Crash to desktop is almost certainly the game
    Crash to black screen *without* any ctrl-alt-del recovery on windows is machine/drivers
    Hard reboot is drivers/machine

Too many toons not enough time
  • Wookyenub18_ESO
    Hopefully ZoS suggestions solved it for the OP. Rather than start a new thread for discussion, I'm giving my opinion about the 5 issues in the last post above.

I've experienced 4 of these 5 type of issues whereas I would expect NONE from a AAA game out for 7 years. I was running close to recommended specs. Since upgrading to a PC far far exceeding them (i9 10900KF, Nvidia RtX 3080) a week ago I have experienced only type 1.

1. Hang is usually game or internet
    I take this to mean the game world is normal and you can move around but nothing else moves and you can't interact with anything. 5 to 10 seconds later you are kicked to the Login screen. This still happens to me occasionally in Cyrodiil when I transit to a keep that has just flipped. I think this is a game client bug losing the connection to the server.

2. Random kick used to usually be internet but nowdays seems to also be game bugs
    I assume this is about kick to game login screen. If due to internet I'd expect the behavior in 1. above.

3. Crash to desktop is almost certainly the game
    In our Raid in Cyrodiil this happens to the same people under the same circumstances:
    a. Riding across a game world seam
    b. Being near certain opposing ball groups
    I believe the game client is over-stressing lower-end PCs (and see 5. below). I.e., it is the game.

4. Crash to black screen *without* any ctrl-alt-del recovery on windows is machine/drivers
    The game continues - you just can't see it. You can hear the game sounds. The screen is black if you run multiple resolutions and the GPU switched when it failed. Otherwise the screen is normal but frozen. This happened to me all the time when I used LUI Extended Add-On, but it makes no sense that the game can be crashed by an add-on. Something very specific happens to the graphics system - I would think ZOS could figure it out.

5. Hard reboot is drivers/machine
    Graphics driver / Overclock too high / Thermal taste degraded / GPU power cable bad. Get latest drivers and try under clocking.

How many types of game bugs are in play here? Game client loses connection to server / Game client causes graphics to try to switch resolutions / Game client fails and exits to game login screen / Game client fails and exits to desktop / Graphics system fails hard and PC reboots? Do these all have different causes?

In what ways can the game client overload the graphics system and cause it to fail? Can this be mitigated? Buying a bigger PC is not a complete answer: I normally have 120 FPS but during siege in Cyrodiil it drops to 35.
    Edited by Wookyenub18_ESO on January 2, 2021 10:31PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As there are currently multiple threads discussing some crashing that has continued after the latest update and maintenance, we've decided to close this thread. You can continue discussion and find troubleshooting in the thread linked below.

And again crashes from the game
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.