The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Anyone with the new Ryzen 5000 who wants to compare performance in ESO.

• Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also on a 4690K/DDR3/1070.

I'm locked at 4.4ghz and get a solid 144 frames open world or out-of-the-way places, typically see lows of 70s in combat, BGs, etc. Though much worse in Cyrodiil.

My issue has been that while FPS is overall in a good place, it's my frametime that sucks. Once my client has been open for some time I get regular hitching, frametime exceeding 100ms.

I remember adjusting some of the WorkerThread related lines in the .ini, (iirc ESO is largely single core bound?)

New Ryzen users, have you seen any improvement in core utilization, or are similar adjustments necessary in the .ini for new Ryzen cpus?

Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I still use a 4790 and I have a RTX 2070 and I feel like the bottleneck is the the server in most situations I never see my CPU utilization go more than 50%. There would probably be a bit of a performance improvement here and there if I upgraded, but not worth the money to me for ESO. You might see a 15% improvement on loading times (if you are not bottle-necked by storage), but you would probably only be able to tell that if you used a stop watch.

Now if there was another game or application I wanted to use and it had higher CPU requirements than what I have then I could see upgrading, but with ESO using about half of my 4790 and only half utilization on my 2070 I don't feel like throwing hardware at ESO will improve much.

Playing since beta...
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took the old HD7850 card from my 4790K @ 4.6GHz, 16G (in anticipation of a modern upgrade, wasnt able to snag a 3060) and put it into my OLD PhenomII x4 B50 @ 3.6GHz, 8G. 1080p 60Hz.

Frankly, the CPU and memory downgrade did not hurt the performance as much as anticipated, from a practical standpoint.

The 4790K /HD7850 would avg 45fps on HIGH. 60+ on MEDIUM.

The X4 B50 /HD7850 avg 55-60fps on MEDIUM.

Both totally fluid on MEDIUM.

The 4790K gave me the option to run HIGH settings, but it would occasionally bog down and make me wish it was on MEDIUM.

I dont think a CPU upgrade will ever take it to the "next level." 4790K still has strong single core performance and is viable.

The difference between HIGH and MEDIUM is not that great from an overall gameplay perspective.

I'm actually enjoying playing on the 10yo Phenom2, true potato.
    Edited by ImmortalCX on December 22, 2020 3:51PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »
    Ruder wrote: »
    I`m proud owner of almost 4 year old Intel 7700k, I`m thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 5800x if there is more than 15% performance increase in ESO,
    So anyone who owns some of the 5000 series Ryzen and wants to compare performance under specific circumstances please send me a message or comment here in the thread :)

Not exactly on the topic but I have i7 4790kand 1080Ti, I play on 3440x1440 100Hz. I used to have 40-50 FPS in Battlegrounds, I reinstalled the game, removed all addons and now I have 150 FPS in high MMR AAOE I have around 100 FPS.

It was tough the first few days without addons but you can get used with it.

I thought you so capped at 100 FPS. Is there some workaround I am not aware of?
    I`m proud owner of almost 4 year old Intel 7700k, I`m thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 5800x if there is more than 15% performance increase in ESO,
    So anyone who owns some of the 5000 series Ryzen and wants to compare performance under specific circumstances please send me a message or comment here in the thread :)

Not exactly on the topic but I have i7 4790kand 1080Ti, I play on 3440x1440 100Hz. I used to have 40-50 FPS in Battlegrounds, I reinstalled the game, removed all addons and now I have 150 FPS in high MMR AAOE I have around 100 FPS.

I thought ESO capped at 100 FPS. Is there some workaround I am not aware of?

Turning VSync off and adding some changes in the config file unlock the fps.

@Bashev
    You got a link to the changes? I dont run Vsync because I have a Gsync monitor.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I would love an R5 5600 with an RTX 3060, just so I can know my PC is near top of the line, I know that will never happen unless it's like, ten years from now and those parts become the obsolete ones you find in the discount bin while everyone is clammoring for the Ryzen 9 9900X whatever.

Besides I barely game on my PC anyway, and my R5 1600AF and GTX 1660Ti fares well enough for what I do. Thinking about getting an RTX 2070 Super for my next near future upgrade but for some reason you can't find any 20 series cards new anymore.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Khajiitihaswares
    Khajiitihaswares
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    As much as I would love an R5 5600 with an RTX 3060, just so I can know my PC is near top of the line, I know that will never happen unless it's like, ten years from now and those parts become the obsolete ones you find in the discount bin while everyone is clammoring for the Ryzen 9 9900X whatever.

Besides I barely game on my PC anyway, and my R5 1600AF and GTX 1660Ti fares well enough for what I do. Thinking about getting an RTX 2070 Super for my next near future upgrade but for some reason you can't find any 20 series cards new anymore.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-20-turing-production-end-geforce-rtx-30-ampere-gaming-graphics-card-launch-close/

Chip supplier stopped producing them. So you have to search for left over stock...

As to the OP... Might see difference maybe? But thats a stretch from that CPU depends what build was before...

Using 8700k at 5.2ghz and 2080 eso on ultra with no issues.... You will see differences in benchmarks obviously but from a user end point might not see much of a change less your system is or was dying.
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@Bashev

@Oreyn_Bearclaw

This is the guide.
    Because I can!
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bashev

@Oreyn_Bearclaw

This is the guide.

Thanks! Will give it a try later.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-20-turing-production-end-geforce-rtx-30-ampere-gaming-graphics-card-launch-close/

Chip supplier stopped producing them. So you have to search for left over stock...

As to the OP... Might see difference maybe? But thats a stretch from that CPU depends what build was before...

Using 8700k at 5.2ghz and 2080 eso on ultra with no issues.... You will see differences in benchmarks obviously but from a user end point might not see much of a change less your system is or was dying.

So then by the time I actually will need to upgrade the only cards available will be the 30 series. Which means I need a new PSU as well since the one I JUST bought is only a 550w. :/

And they say PC gaming is better than Console.
  • Ruder
    Ruder
    ✭✭✭✭

So then by the time I actually will need to upgrade the only cards available will be the 30 series. Which means I need a new PSU as well since the one I JUST bought is only a 550w. :/

With 550w you can safely use 3060ti or even 3070
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend mine got the new ryzen 5600x coupled with nvidia gtx 1070 and he said in Eso got an impressive boost in fps with the new Cpu:

IMG-20210101-WA0003.jpg

You can see in this screenshot he has 475 fps in Craglorn, ofc it's not all on high/ ultra settings but still impressive.
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the house, 959 fps :o : Screenshot_20210102_220732.png
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious? I'd been watching Jayz2Cents and his vids gave me the impression the 30 series cards were more power hungry than the 20 series. There was even one from LTT where the PC would black screen cause the GPU kept trying to draw more than what the PSU could give under load, and he recommended a 1000w PSU to make sure that didn't happen with that card. (can't remember which specifically)
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey gang, I ended up picking up a 5600x. On my 1070, I do see a good framerate improvement @ 1440p/144hz

I set my cap to 200fps and tend to sit between 190-200 in town, while AOE heavy BGs tend to see lows of 90 or so, while the average is 120+.

To achieve this, I ended up lowering the Textures to High. (MIP Load Levels were set to -1 previously)
    Minimum particles, minimum particle distance, low shadows, no water, low grass, none of the options near the bottom of the settings menu enabled.

I'm finding that while my framrate stays pretty consistent 190-200, my frametime still sees regular spikes.. I'm curious if there are any ini tweaks that can help with this, or maybe it's addon related.
    Edited by Grimlok_S on January 3, 2021 5:12PM
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Mariusghost84
    Mariusghost84
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    Hey gang, I ended up picking up a 5600x. On my 1070, I do see a good framerate improvement @ 1440p/144hz

I set my cap to 200fps and tend to sit between 190-200 in town, while AOE heavy BGs tend to see lows of 90 or so, while the average is 120+.

To achieve this, I ended up lowering the Textures to High. (MIP Load Levels were set to -1 previously)
    Minimum particles, minimum particle distance, low shadows, no water, low grass, none of the options near the bottom of the settings menu enabled.

I'm finding that while my framrate stays pretty consistent 190-200, my frametime still sees regular spikes.. I'm curious if there are any ini tweaks that can help with this, or maybe it's addon related.

@Grimlok_S Thanks for sharing this bro! Im getting my Geforce 3090 with Ryzen 5800x any day now. Will do some testing and report in :D
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

3440x1440 OR 2560x1440
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Ruder
    Ruder
    ✭✭✭✭

Your GPU is ancient(but it is not the problem for low fps in PvP), reducing Texture, grass or Shadows quality will do NOTHING to improve performance in PvP or Trials .
    There are only 2 impactful settings:
    * View Distance
    * Water reflections (keep them on low)
    Everything else will not impact performance in scenarios where there are a lot of players.

By the way on which server do you play (I have characters on both PC EU and NA) so we can group together and compare performance in same areas with same game settings (please provide your @accountname)
  • Ruder
    Ruder
    ✭✭✭✭

Serious? I'd been watching Jayz2Cents and his vids gave me the impression the 30 series cards were more power hungry than the 20 series. There was even one from LTT where the PC would black screen cause the GPU kept trying to draw more than what the PSU could give under load, and he recommended a 1000w PSU to make sure that didn't happen with that card. (can't remember which specifically)

I`m dead serious, as long as you have gold or platinum PSU you wont have problems with RTX 3000,
    I`m with RTX 3090 (Palit gaming Pro) and a 650w EVGA Gold PSU paired with overclocked 7gen i7 to 5ghz and have no issues in the past 3 months, I also can overclock the GPU without any issues, achieving +100 mhz on the cores and +350 on the memory.
    Edited by Ruder on January 6, 2021 11:30AM
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Grimlok_S Thanks for sharing this bro! Im getting my Geforce 3090 with Ryzen 5800x any day now. Will do some testing and report in :D

@Mariusghost84 That's a hell of a combo, grats! I went back and forth over the 5800x.. I don't do enough to justify the extra cores of the 5800 with a relatively similar clock rate.

My advice is consider a quality AIO cooler.. I switched from an AIO to air cooling and damn, these things run hot. Average running temp in PvP is 70C with an aggressive curve.

I'm just running my motherboards enabled gameboost instead of a manual fixed overclock for now, vcore shooting up to 1.4 makes me kind of nervous.

WiseSky wrote: »

3440x1440 OR 2560x1440

2560x1440

Your GPU is ancient(but it is not the problem for low fps in PvP), reducing Texture, grass or Shadows quality will do NOTHING to improve performance in PvP or Trials .
    There are only 2 impactful settings:
    * View Distance
    * Water reflections (keep them on low)
    Everything else will not impact performance in scenarios where there are a lot of players.

By the way on which server do you play (I have characters on both PC EU and NA) so we can group together and compare performance in same areas with same game settings (please provide your @accountname)

Not really, considering it is newer than the game by 2 years. It only ever sees ~50% utilization in this game anyway.. I was open to upgrading this cycle, but you know what availability looks like. Not going to bother.

Though, I have noted textures to have an impact. At least in my limited testing. I was running at MIP LOAD LEVELS -1, which is beyond HIGH in the in-game settings. I was averaging around 90fps in an overland setting. Reducing to HIGH brought frames up.

Shadows do have an impact as well, I disable them completely.

I'll have to look at View distance.. I like to keep visibility of as much of the BG map/IC as I can, can't stand players fading out. IIRC mine is in the 60s right now.

I'm sure there are loads more optimizations to be made in the ini, I just can't recall what does what.
    I remember specifically adjusting num Workerthreads and related lines for my 4690k, back in the day.

I'm on NA, @Grimlok_Stormshatter if you want to poke around some.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭

I have the new Ryzen 7 5800x cpu paired with new Nvidia rtx 3070. 32 gb ram.

My normal fps is 100+ at 2k resolution. Everything maxed out. When a lot is going on screen for example open world bosses and large scale PvP. My fps dips to 75 to 80 but never below that.