The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

i really wish it didnt take up to a minute and sometimes more just to "request character load"

Apox
Apox
✭✭✭✭✭
a minute doesnt seem like much but a minute spent doing nothing adds up over hundreds of log in attempts.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The annoying thing is I'm pretty sure at least one of the 'performance updates' was supposed to address loading/login times, and for a short time they seemed to get better, but now it's as bad as it ever was. Normally if my game hangs up that long on the character load bit, I end up getting booted back to the login screen.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add flawless trial/dungeon instances, working cyrodil, good ping in houses during prime time, etc etc...
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A ingame character swap drop down menu would be great.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    God I hope the new consoles help out with this when ZOS releases an update for them next year.

Be safe and have fun :)
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    God I hope the new consoles help out with this when ZOS releases an update for them next year.

This seems to be an issue with the server response, not the client. Even on higher end PCs this character load business can take quite a bit of time.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    The annoying thing is I'm pretty sure at least one of the 'performance updates' was supposed to address loading/login times, and for a short time they seemed to get better, but now it's as bad as it ever was.

Yeah they kept saying part of the (past) performance update was decreasing log in and zone loading times, but they seem worse than ever to me.

Doesn't give one much hope for the final result, does it?

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a while it seemed like loading times had gotten slightly better, at least for me (PC, EU, with a decent connection) and going between maps does seem faster- it's no longer worth me having the forum open at the same time to read a few posts while on a loading screen. But loading into the game still seems slow.

Also, I know it's silly but the message itself irritates me. "Requesting character load" makes it sound like ESO is doing you a favour by letting you even try to log in. Like it's going "Oh, you want to play that one? Well, I'm not making any promises but I'll ask..."
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glad I’m not the only one suffering
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

This seems to be an issue with the server response, not the client. Even on higher end PCs this character load business can take quite a bit of time.
    Character swap is an server issue at least on an fast pc. I guess if you have little memory and an slow drive it might well be client limited. The update helped on changing zone as that send you to another server.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    A ingame character swap drop down menu would be great.

Honestly a dream scenario for cyro. Take a keep on my tank, quick swap to a scroll runner.. that would be bliss.
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the Halloween event. Bogging everything down. Big spike in number of players in-game.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Apox wrote: »
    a minute doesnt seem like much but a minute spent doing nothing adds up over hundreds of log in attempts.

Always blew my mind that it takes so long to reach the character select screen lol. it's not even gameplay.

Boot up eso
    intro starts playing
    login to eso
    load screen
    grab your character
    load screen

Now you may play lol
  • Anthony_Arndt
    Anthony_Arndt
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Halloween event. Bogging everything down. Big spike in number of players in-game.

I don't think it's just the Halloween event. Ever since Greymoor launched, on the EU server it takes me:

6-90s from Login to Character Select,
    30-90s at the Requesting Character load stage,
    60-90s at the loading screen.
    Roughly 75% of the time while on the loading screen, it boots me back to login. On top of that, about 25% of the time it gives me the "Booted from Server" error which prevents me from logging in for about 5 minutes more on that account (my wife, son, and I have three accounts, all have the same issues).

And it's not just addons. They do slow it down, but I have a character with zero addons active for when I 'm just logging in quick for the daily login rewards.
    ”Fusozay Var Var”: ”Enjoy Life”
    Life is short. If you have not made love recently, please, put down this book, and take care of that with all haste. Find a wanton lass or a frisky lad, or several, in whatever combination your wise loins direct, and do not under any circumstances play hard to get. Our struggle against the colossal forces of oppression can wait.
    Good. Welcome back.
    We Khajiit live and fight together, and our struggles will not end very soon, likely not in our lifetimes. In the time we have, we do not want our closest comrades to be dour, dull, colorless, sober, and virginal. If we did, we would have joined the Thalmor.
    Do not begrudge us our lewd jokes, our bawdy, drunken nights, our moonsugar. They are the pleasures often denied to us, and so we take our good humor very seriously.
    Outfit slots are disgustingly expensive.
  • Anthony_Arndt
    Anthony_Arndt
    ✭✭✭

Off topic... but I love your name (accidentally started spelling "neigh" the first time).
    ”Fusozay Var Var”: ”Enjoy Life”
    Life is short. If you have not made love recently, please, put down this book, and take care of that with all haste. Find a wanton lass or a frisky lad, or several, in whatever combination your wise loins direct, and do not under any circumstances play hard to get. Our struggle against the colossal forces of oppression can wait.
    Good. Welcome back.
    We Khajiit live and fight together, and our struggles will not end very soon, likely not in our lifetimes. In the time we have, we do not want our closest comrades to be dour, dull, colorless, sober, and virginal. If we did, we would have joined the Thalmor.
    Do not begrudge us our lewd jokes, our bawdy, drunken nights, our moonsugar. They are the pleasures often denied to us, and so we take our good humor very seriously.
    Outfit slots are disgustingly expensive.
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Off topic... but I love your name (accidentally started spelling "neigh" the first time).

Thanks!
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apox wrote: »

And if it were only a minute that already would be a nice improvement... When I do writs across multiple character I spend more time on loading screens logging between characters then it actually takes doing the writs and turning them in...
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Was happening before that
  • MinnesotaKid
    MinnesotaKid
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things I think would help with this is an account wide mailbox.

Yesterday was the first day of the new campaign in cyro so everyone who participated in the previous one was logging toons to get their geodes. I logged 17 toons and it took well over an hour to get them all in just so I could get the mail.

One of my top pet peeves with this game.
    MinnesotaKid

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the things I think would help with this is an account wide mailbox.

Yesterday was the first day of the new campaign in cyro so everyone who participated in the previous one was logging toons to get their geodes. I logged 17 toons and it took well over an hour to get them all in just so I could get the mail.

One of my top pet peeves with this game.
    Mail is account wise, however stuff like leaderboard rewards is only granted to the character.
    However to add to the fun, you can open the reward for the worthy from an alt you level up on an high cp one and get cp 160 gear.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • MinnesotaKid
    MinnesotaKid
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Mail is account wise, however stuff like leaderboard rewards is only granted to the character.
    However to add to the fun, you can open the reward for the worthy from an alt you level up on an high cp one and get cp 160 gear.

You don't understand what I'm saying. Mail is at the toon level currently... if it was account level I would only have to log one toon to get all my mail. That's not how it works now, I have to log all the toons to get each of their mail.

Totally a PITA the way it's setup now and unnecessary IMHO.

MinnesotaKid

• phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    About every 3rd or so time I switch characters I have to completely log out of the game and log back in for it to work.
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep. one thing we all share in common is we presumably play this game to have fun, no matter what activity you do

waiting for "requesting character load" only to sit in another load screen that feels like it takes ages to get through as well is not fun.
  • zergbase_ESO
    zergbase_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Yep... No matter how much hardware I use on my end seems to be server side thing. :/
  • stybbe17b16_ESO
    stybbe17b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ye, I used to start Path of Exile while loading, ran some maps checked back in and still loading. Funny how a game with prob more assets and items on the character can take 1 sec to load while this game take minutes
  • AngryOldMan
    AngryOldMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main character and my bank character takes longer to load than the others. Can achievements, skyshards, inventory stuff etc affect loading screen?
    Another weird thing, my mail is slow to come trough when i first log in, if i log into my main character. If i log to any other character my mail opens faster.
  • N_L
    N_L
    Still happening to me, I tested existentially which add-ons influence my loading time and while some do, testing without them also showed the loading screen and requesting character load can at times take minutes which is ridiculous plus it didn't used to happen like until a month ago.
  • omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ye, I used to start Path of Exile while loading, ran some maps checked back in and still loading. Funny how a game with prob more assets and items on the character can take 1 sec to load while this game take minutes

Yup! Just about any other mmo I play has load times lightning fast compared to eso. Wish zos would get it figured out. Switching alts in this game is truly painful.
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost every game crash I've had playing this game has happened during the "request character load" phase. So in that little box where they ask you what you were doing, I always just have to tell them, "Trying to load into game from character select screen." I might start adding a pithy, "Fix your stuff maybe."

Sometimes I get the "disconnected due to lack of activity, too.
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i found a fix for this guys. i found if you dont even try to log in to begin with, you dont get stuck in perpetual loops of "requesting character load"

the light attack bugs that still havent been fixed and wont be until next week kinda killed my desire to play.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it only happens to some characters. For me it’s the ones with the most achievement points, regardless of addons or inventory.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche