The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

so then, im tanking and your pets suck

linuxlady
linuxlady
✭✭✭✭
because they spawn right in front of me almost every time and i cant see to block or swig or heal or roll dodge or any thing
i hate your hungers and your daedroths and whatever else it is that insists it's view is more important than the tanks view
please tame your pets
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a tank I hate pets. Trying to pull all the trash in close for AOE's, and that darn bear is on the other side of the room playing cards with some trash mob that has pull immunity up. Come on folks, wrangle that pet and bring it back over here.
    Edited by Ackwalan on October 13, 2020 1:06PM
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try this OP :trollface:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-tanking-beginner-guide/

Joking aside, you can just side-step/strafe and reposition.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL. Yeah, the Daedroth usually lands directly on top of me while I'm Tanking. Sometimes both DPS will have the monster set and I get two of them on top of me.

Just have to deal with it and move around to see the fight.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »

I prefer just booting anyone with pets. I suppose both strategies work fine.
    Edited by redspecter23 on October 13, 2020 1:13PM
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanking is easy anyway, just think of it as something to keep you occupied? :smiley:

I have no comment as someone who mained a tank and a warden and a petsorc I'm both happy to see this post and deeply offended.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JanTanhide wrote: »
    LOL. Yeah, the Daedroth usually lands directly on top of me while I'm Tanking. Sometimes both DPS will have the monster set and I get two of them on top of me.

Just have to deal with it and move around to see the fight.
    Yes, once tanked an dungeon where both DD and healer used maw so I had three of them :smiley:
    Told them I was glad it was not BC2
    I don't mind the sorcerer pets much but maw should be smaller.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »

I prefer just booting anyone with pets. I suppose both strategies work fine.

:smiley: indeed the better option. Actively gimp the damage being done by your group; that way at least you get to tank for longer.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Highlight the boss. On PS4 this is done by holding down the right joystick.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    now i kind of want to run a random on my non pet sorc but change him to a pet sorc with both pets along with maw and the atro ult :D
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • RavenLake
    RavenLake
    ✭✭✭
    Sidestep the pets. Its not hard. Why is this even an issue?
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RavenLake wrote: »
    Sidestep the pets. Its not hard. Why is this even an issue?
    ^^ This!
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like first-person problems, because this isn’t an issue at max cam distance in third-person.
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Malkiv wrote: »
    Sounds like first-person problems, because this isn’t an issue at max cam distance in third-person.

Actually, yes it is. I only tank in 3rd person, max view, and in a trial 8 deadroths plus other "pets" cover up a LOT of trials adds and bosses. In dungeons it's worse because many bosses are regular sized - e.g. MUCH smaller than your stupid daedroth!

I am so pissed Alcast ever recommended that set, it is a tanks bane. Maw has ALWAYS been awful.

Also, if you think "tanking is easy this keeps you occupied"...yes, tanking vet DLC HMs is so easy! I just stand there and do nothing but hold block! No casting shields, no dodge rolling heavy attacks that one shot me, no buffing the group, no self heals in 3 DPS runs, no timing heavy attacks for restore! Tanking is SOOOO boring, that's why there's a 45 minute wait for tanks in queue! It's so easy and no one wants easy!

*eyeroll and giant /s

Pet sets SUCK in dungeons. Devs either need to make it so the pets NEVER EVER spawn in front of tank, or players need to NOT WEAR THEM.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on October 13, 2020 2:21PM
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run dungeons daily as a tank and a dd, including the dlc. When tanking, I would gladly take full teams of pet builds over the many teams I encounter through the dungeon finder with 10-15k group dps. If the each group member is pulling their weight I just do not care what type of build they run.

I just don't see this as an issue in dungeons - like not even in my top 20 list of problems I run into with 4 person groups. Know the mechanics and pay attention - you'll be fine.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dalsinthus wrote: »
    I run dungeons daily as a tank and a dd, including the dlc. When tanking, I would gladly take full teams of pet builds over the many teams I encounter through the dungeon finder with 10-15k group dps. If the each group member is pulling their weight I just do not care what type of build they run.

I just don't see this as an issue in dungeons - like not even in my top 20 list of problems I run into with 4 person groups. Know the mechanics and pay attention - you'll be fine.

Question - how do pets automatically make DPS good? I see an awful lot of HA pet builds that are "send pet in, then do nothing but heavy attack." That rotation is not going to give you 25-30kDPS. It's 15k at most, which is passable but meh, and not going to cut it in a vet DLC. Or even some base game vets.

Pet builds aren't auto-god mode. It's fine if you want to use them, but it's kind of like stamDPS running caltrops - please don't throw caltrops *before* the tank can group the mob up or position the boss. Please don't just let your bear/summon run to whatever, because the snare will make the tank's life hell.

I love being screamed at by DPS to "get that archer in here! They're killing me!" when that player's bear is chatting with the archer making it impossible for me to do anything. (DPS it is NOT a good idea for the tank to run across the room for 1 add they can't pull, when everything is grouped on them, and range taunt may not solve your issue) Please learn to control your pets!

• Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Question - how do pets automatically make DPS good? I see an awful lot of HA pet builds that are "send pet in, then do nothing but heavy attack." That rotation is not going to give you 25-30kDPS. It's 15k at most, which is passable but meh, and not going to cut it in a vet DLC. Or even some base game vets.

Pet builds aren't auto-god mode. It's fine if you want to use them, but it's kind of like stamDPS running caltrops - please don't throw caltrops *before* the tank can group the mob up or position the boss. Please don't just let your bear/summon run to whatever, because the snare will make the tank's life hell.

I love being screamed at by DPS to "get that archer in here! They're killing me!" when that player's bear is chatting with the archer making it impossible for me to do anything. (DPS it is NOT a good idea for the tank to run across the room for 1 add they can't pull, when everything is grouped on them, and range taunt may not solve your issue) Please learn to control your pets!
    Inner fire works on everything and goes through anything. The only thing that stops inner fire, is another enemy standing in front of it. Haven't noticed inner fire not hitting/taunting something... ever. Just sidestep for the line of sight on what you want to hit, and use it.

I found silver leash to be inadequate, as it does not taunt and many monsters can't be leashed in.

Unless you are up against 10+ monsters, you should be able to use inner fire just fine. And 10+ monsters only happens in very few spots.
  • RavenLake
    RavenLake
    ✭✭✭
    Pets are part of the game and part of builds. Demanding someone to control something they cannot, or something they enjoy playing, is not your right. Learn to play around pets or play another role.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Inner fire works on everything and goes through anything. The only thing that stops inner fire, is another enemy standing in front of it. Haven't noticed inner fire not hitting/taunting something... ever. Just sidestep for the line of sight on what you want to hit, and use it.

I found silver leash to be inadequate, as it does not taunt and many monsters can't be leashed in.

Unless you are up against 10+ monsters, you should be able to use inner fire just fine. And 10+ monsters only happens in very few spots.

I'm referring to the NPC bbehavior where A - I may be out of inner fire range and yes there are lots of places where I can't move adds around easily until some are dead, and B - some more advanced mobs will continue attacking the nearest player, NOT the tank, even if taunted.

Really, it's like some tanks think "taunt any everything automagically attacks me!" and then ignore what the add actually DOES.

Sorry, but I'm going to leave this discussion. I've been tanking in ESO since year 2. I've dealt with a LOT in dungeons, nerfs and other BS. I hate that the attitude in this game is "tanking is for stupid people/DPS are gods/it's always the support's fault."

DPS need to learn to be responsible for themselves. Learn to use your pets, learn a GOOD rotation, learn to move out of the red, because I can't always taunt/control every add in every mob in every dungeon around wherever you decided to plant and not move from. Also DPS... dying and expecting someone to rez you is not helpful. Learn to try to keep yourself alive. Yes, deaths happen, and yes, the tank and healer will still do their best to keep you alive. But you have to help us out at least a little!

And for everyone saying they don't care that pets make grouping mobs impossible or "I like someones pet holding the boss means I can do DPS!"

You are not a real tank. If you can do "real DPS" as a tank... you are not a tank. You are a DPS with a taunt. I am sick of catering to people who have fully functional hands. I tank/heal because my hands are not reliable enough to DPS more than 35k (magden, no bear and mag sorc, NO PETS, in combat.)

If pets don't bother you... fine. Let other people rant sometimes. I'm sure whatever bothers you I'll laugh at because it's not one of my top 20 annoyances.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on October 13, 2020 3:16PM
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pets appear where developers program them to appear. The real issue is game design.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pets are part of the game and part of builds. Demanding someone to control something they cannot, or something they enjoy playing, is not your right. Learn to play around pets or play another role.

Heavy attack will tell your pet where to go. On Keyboard UI you can use the Y key as well.

Pets ARE controllable, players need to learn this.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    linuxlady wrote: »
    because they spawn right in front of me almost every time and i cant see to block or swig or heal or roll dodge or any thing
    i hate your hungers and your daedroths and whatever else it is that insists it's view is more important than the tanks view
    please tame your pets

It's annoying isn't it.

I know some tanks who will just drop group when players use them. haha

I don't blame the players who use the pets, because they didn't design the game. But it's a huge nuisance and can even get you killed on more difficult fights where missing a single animation can lay you out. So those posters suggesting this isn't a real issue must not tank very often. Because it's a real problem alright and I wish the developers would do something about it. People wonder why more people don't play tanks. Well, this is one of the reasons right here.
    Edited by Jeremy on October 13, 2020 3:31PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate pets. I stopped using one on my Sorcerer because I was sick of it getting in my own way. I don't understand people who always have a vanity pet following them around, either.
    PCNA
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Question - how do pets automatically make DPS good?

No where in my post do I say that pets automatically make dps good. This seems to totally miss my point that I think people should be allowed to play what they went if they are covering their role. There's so much hate on these forums for other people's play styles, but if it actually works then I just don't understand the complaining.

There is a reason that Maw is widely used now and it's because the damage is approximately on par with Zaan and other top end monster sets. Can it be annoying, sure, but this is so minor. IMO, if the team is clearing content quickly then have at it.

• Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That god damn deadroth! it messed me up big time in blessed crucible today, couldn't see the lava animation so got killed.
    Thing is, they got rid of all the "aoe clutter" so we can't see that sweet ilambris proc of our team mates, can't see the cool animation of loads of arrows hitting the ground from volley, we can't even see caltrops of the ground but for some reason we can see a damn deadroth that has no reason to need to be seen by your team mates.
    All the above are AoEs the tank needs to be aware of to avoid bringing enemies out of...but the deadroth, it's the dps business and makes no difference to anyone else.

I swear people are asleep at the wheel over at ZOS.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You want to know frustration?

Banished Cell 2 HM when both your DDs run with the Daedroth monster helmet.

It's impossible to distinguish between the friendly and hostile Daedroth and you have to drag all hostiles all to you.
  • Xerge
    Xerge
    ✭✭✭
    As a tank i don't mind pets at all. The game is very easy to operate.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes the pets will get in the way and will not let you see many things that go on. adjust the enemy’s damage area with a color that really highlights it, if you are on PC use raid notifier add on. eventually you will learn to deal with 5 allied daedrith, a bear, the adds and the boss charge attack. end game for Tanks doesn’t get any better. This is why voice chat is very important on runs, whatever you don’t see, your buddies can see for you and give a callout
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is indeed very annoying. It is even worse with the Maw-meta for magicka DPS. I wist they would go translucent or we had an opportunity to turn off allies' pets. Not game breaking, but for sure annoying.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »

I'm referring to the NPC bbehavior where A - I may be out of inner fire range and yes there are lots of places where I can't move adds around easily until some are dead, and B - some more advanced mobs will continue attacking the nearest player, NOT the tank, even if taunted.

Really, it's like some tanks think "taunt any everything automagically attacks me!" and then ignore what the add actually DOES.

Sorry, but I'm going to leave this discussion. I've been tanking in ESO since year 2. I've dealt with a LOT in dungeons, nerfs and other BS. I hate that the attitude in this game is "tanking is for stupid people/DPS are gods/it's always the support's fault."

DPS need to learn to be responsible for themselves. Learn to use your pets, learn a GOOD rotation, learn to move out of the red, because I can't always taunt/control every add in every mob in every dungeon around wherever you decided to plant and not move from. Also DPS... dying and expecting someone to rez you is not helpful. Learn to try to keep yourself alive. Yes, deaths happen, and yes, the tank and healer will still do their best to keep you alive. But you have to help us out at least a little!

And for everyone saying they don't care that pets make grouping mobs impossible or "I like someones pet holding the boss means I can do DPS!"

You are not a real tank. If you can do "real DPS" as a tank... you are not a tank. You are a DPS with a taunt. I am sick of catering to people who have fully functional hands. I tank/heal because my hands are not reliable enough to DPS more than 35k (magden, no bear and mag sorc, NO PETS, in combat.)

If pets don't bother you... fine. Let other people rant sometimes. I'm sure whatever bothers you I'll laugh at because it's not one of my top 20 annoyances.

The OP is correct, Maw is the worst thing in the game for tanks (all other pets aren't that bad, MAW is Terrible). It is huge, ALWAYS walks EXACTLY where the tank is standing, blocks most bosses entirely and even if you move to opposite side of boss his fire breath STILL blocks boss mechanics. But it is not DD/healers fault, it is ZOS's fault. And easy to fix.

1. MAKE Maw invisible to other group, like other effects if I check that box
    2. Make Maw much smaller, reduce by 75%, or make it same size as coldharbour favorite (in PVE but make it full size in PVP)
    3. Make it stand at 8 meters away instead of .5 meters, you literally can't get in between Maw and boss
    4. Make Maw fire breath attack much smaller or invisible to group

Anyone who says Maw isn't insanely annoying for tanks has absolutely NO CLUE what they are talking about and should be ignored.