The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I'm all for changing Oblivion's Foe....but the proposed version is back to being a trap?

Nerhesi
Nerhesi
✭✭✭✭
Current Oblivion's Foe:
(2 items) Adds 211 Health Recovery
(3 items) Adds 211 Stamina Recovery
(4 items) Adds 211 Magicka Recovery
(5 items) Increases the damage of your Soul Magic attacks by 2466.

6.1 PTS Oblivions Foe:
(2 items) TBD
(3 items) TBD
(4 items) TBD
(5 items) Whenever you deal damage with Soul Magic using the 5-piece bonus, you mark the target’s soul, dealing 12820 Magic Damage over 10 seconds.

Compare this to Icy Conjuror (or any of the similar damage procs):
(2 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka
(3 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage
(4 items) Adds 1487 Penetration
(5 items) Applying a minor debuff to your enemy summons a non-reflectable Ice Wraith that will charge into your enemy, dealing 21700 Frost Damage over 10 seconds. This effect can occur every 10 seconds.

Even if Oblivion's Foe gets great stats like Icy, why would you make the set:
A) Do only 59% of the damage of similar dot sets.
b) Require to slot a not-so-great DoT or even worse Ult (compared to Icy which can be trivially triggered on-demand).
c) Magic damage doesnt proc status effects so minor-maim, chilled, burning, etc

Unless the intent is to have very weird, very dense stats on the 2,3 and 4 piece set (which I wouldn't recommend because it would be the best friend of Antiquities).

Edited by Nerhesi on September 28, 2020 9:56PM
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic damage also doesn't proc status effects.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ice Wrath is single Target with cooldown, Oblivion Foe is 8m aoe without cooldown. And now it also possible to onebar it, i.e. it main problem got fixed and can easily being combined with relics. So set got buffed further.
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another question to ask is why do Magicka sets always suck in comparison to Stamina sets? Icy Conjurer is really our only DOT set and contrast that to sets like Sheer Venom, Venomous Smite, any of numerous bleed sets, etc. At some point it would be nice to stop playing Elder Stamina Online and see some fun, exciting, and worthwhile magicka sets to use. Clearly not this patch, but still...
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a sneaking suspicion that this set was only changed to prevent the enormous heals you could achieve with Split Trap and Ring of the Pale Order.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to decon my Oblivion’s Foe gear and send that spell back to Oblivion where it used belong and now belongs again.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Time to decon my Oblivion’s Foe gear and send that spell back to Oblivion where it used belong and now belongs again.

The set is being buffed, not nerfed btw.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    I have a sneaking suspicion that this set was only changed to prevent the enormous heals you could achieve with Split Trap and Ring of the Pale Order.

Depends if relics working as intended or bugged, coz Peael also have wuestionable mechanic of proc
    Edited by Cinbri on September 28, 2020 10:02PM
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set still niche AF
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

Hardly.

I have a tooltip of 30k damage in 10 seconds from Soul Splitting Trap on the live server. How is losing half of that a buff?

Edited by Jaraal on September 28, 2020 9:07PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

This. Ring of the Pale Order does not heal from any proc sets (that I know of, only tested like 3).

The previous set would buff the crap out of soul trap, giving you a gigantic aoe damaging/healing dot. Now that it's a proc, the damage is split between a healable source and a proc, non healable source.

Fixed? I can kinda of see how this would of been a big problem in pvp.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on September 28, 2020 9:26PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is precisely why I only upgraded my set to purple. I didn't even bother putting gold enchantments on it.
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭

If it was a 21k dot like Icy, then I would say it would be staying the same. Because even with a 20k dot, it wouldn't be affecting both the ult and soul trap at the same time
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah this is kind of a weird change. On one hand, both Soul Magic abilities have an AoE morph that would maybe justify the amount a bit better given the wording would applying the proc DoT in each additional enemy hit but definitely doesn't do the single target morphs much justice.

I understand if it was from the implementation of the Ring of the Pale Order but feel like maybe it could've had a combination of both Soul Magic damage increase as it previously had, just lessened a fair amount and the proc DoT at least. I mean, the set was never that much different from sets that increases the damage of skills, whether through its previous Weapon/Spell Damage boost or straight damage boost (albeit solely to two skills). But to reduce it to a meager proc set like this with such a narrow, niche use? Man its rough.
    Edited by Celestro on September 28, 2020 10:06PM
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its not like they dont have mechanics like this in the game. Simply make it a single target dot (may add some unique flavour or something), but allow it to stay up only one target?

Consider actually adding some sort of variety while increasing the damage and limiting it to single target.

Dispel/Purge/Cleanse protection that would allow it to explode based on the number of dots on the target (so like inevitable detonation but DoT centric and perhaps only magic dot centric to avoid deadly/other physical dot bleed abuse?)

Some other rare or unique effect. We dont need just another Magic-damage Icy set or so.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this set makes 1 Magicka DOT too strong and therefore needs a nerf, but the myriad Stamina-based proc sets that have been everywhere in no-CP PvP for most of the year, applying multiple DOTs for a single Poison Injection GCD are A-OK? Can't say that I agree.

I'm fine with the set being changed, even though it feels like the only way Magicka Necromancer can achieve worthwhile offensive pressure, but it's hardly the most nerf-deserving set out there right now.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icy slow and dodgeable too
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Hardly.

I have a tooltip of 30k damage in 10 seconds from Soul Splitting Trap on the live server. How is losing half of that a buff?

Curent oblivions give 2.4k to soul trap per tick, but it only ticks every 2 seconds, so that's 1.2j per second.
    Pts one is 13k over 10 seconds, that's 1.3k per second.
    Also you no longer have to double bar the set.
    It won't scale as well with % modifiers, but the fact that you can 1 bar it makes a big difference.
    Also it's 2 dots now so it makes it harder to cleanse.
    I guess the big downside here is that you will feel the lower damage if you are using soul splitting trap.
    Either way the set was over performing hard, I just wish they looked at all the Stamina sets too like sheer venom, syvarra etc.
    Those are used way more often than oblivions foe.
    Edited by Firstmep on September 29, 2020 10:42AM
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul trap does damage based on your highest stat, and Oblivion's Foe has neutral 2-4 piece bonuses. The fact that everyone's talking about this set like it's a "magicka set" illustrates just how pathetic mag sets really are compared to stam.

If the best "mag proc set" is really just a set that works equally well on stamina builds, that's pretty sad.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hardly.

Curent oblivions give 2.4k to soul trap per tick, but it only ticks every 2 seconds, so that's 1.2j per second.
    It won't scale as well with % modifiers, but the fact that you can 1 bar it makes a big difference.
    I guess the big downside here is that you will feel the lower damage if you are using soul splitting trap.
    Either way the set was over performing hard, I just wish they looked at all the Stamina sets too like sheer venom, syvarra etc.

Damage was not buffed. It ticked 6 times for the soul trap duration, not 5(14.4 over 10 sec). Also it could crit. You could also double deep this set power by using soul trap and soul assault. I do agree it was busted, especially with the over tuned 2-4 piece bonuses.

However, I do believe that With this PTS change followed by the upcoming nerfs to 2-4 piece bonuses, this set will not be competitive. This set should at least have double power effect if both soul trap and soul assault are being used on the same target.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they'd specify at some point when they use the wording "...deal an additional..." (Or whatever its actual wording it) that it means "per tick of the ability"

Because based on how it should be read itd only deal an additional 200 dmg a sec....

Just saying
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Hardly.

Damage was not buffed. It ticked 6 times for the soul trap duration, not 5(14.4 over 10 sec). Also it could crit. You could also double deep this set power by using soul trap and soul assault. I do agree it was busted, especially with the over tuned 2-4 piece bonuses.

However, I do believe that With this PTS change followed by the upcoming nerfs to 2-4 piece bonuses, this set will not be competitive. This set should at least have double power effect if both soul trap and soul assault are being used on the same target.

From I've heard they're giving it offensive stats, dmg pen crit, so it's not a total wash.
    Don't forget that you can still apply this to as many targets as you want, when cleansed it can be reapplied and it can be backbarred.
    Most dot sets can't be reapplied straight away when cleansed and some have a target limit.
    Soul assault should be reworked already to something that's actually useful without and entire 5pc set and not as polarizing as pre nerf.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hardly.

From I've heard they're giving it offensive stats, dmg pen crit, so it's not a total wash.
    Don't forget that you can still apply this to as many targets as you want, when cleansed it can be reapplied and it can be backbarred.
    Most dot sets can't be reapplied straight away when cleansed and some have a target limit.
    Soul assault should be reworked already to something that's actually useful without and entire 5pc set and not as polarizing as pre nerf.

I agree with everything you just wrote.

But "Oblivion's Foe" is different compared to sets like "Venomous Smite" as it require the player to dedicate skill space on your bar for a very specific skill. Soultrap is not that of a popular skill for PvP to begin with.

That's why I think it should have the a ability to ramp in power if proced by both Soul Trap and Soul Strike. It should get more value if you go heavy on the soul magic skills. You also need to dedicate 2 skills in order to do so.

Other than that, I think it's the change is fine.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Surely its time for some more soul magic abilities?
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Langeston wrote: »
    Soul trap does damage based on your highest stat, and Oblivion's Foe has neutral 2-4 piece bonuses. The fact that everyone's talking about this set like it's a "magicka set" illustrates just how pathetic mag sets really are compared to stam.

If the best "mag proc set" is really just a set that works equally well on stamina builds, that's pretty sad.

It is pretty sad... :(
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think a couple of you echoed the big loss here. The key benefit was the double effect you'd get if you used both Ult and Soultrap at the same time. However, in doing so, you dedicated a skill and an ultimate slot to 2 really subpar skills. Icy Conj, Pillar or Nirn, etc - gave you significant bonus damage (more than even current Oblivions Foe) in addition to an ability that is normally on your bar. That is a big distinction.

This is especially when you take into account that 2-4 set piece bonuses, while "dense", actually reduced the effectiveness of your other offensive abilities.

This set made a resurgence because it allowed you to play soul-magic as a theme, and even then generally only in pvp - and with a marked degradation to your available skills, and the power of your other skills.

It will disappear if it just becomes yet another damage proc.
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭

Agreed on the rework - however, unfortunately the stat of purge/cleanse right now with no cooldowns and 3+ (if not 4 or 5) effects being removed means its not a big deal. Warden netch is potentially the one that suffers most, but with templars and even solo necros - there isnt really any punishment compared to investment of the person using this set and bar-slot.

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerhesi wrote: »

Agreed on the rework - however, unfortunately the stat of purge/cleanse right now with no cooldowns and 3+ (if not 4 or 5) effects being removed means its not a big deal. Warden netch is potentially the one that suffers most, but with templars and even solo necros - there isnt really any punishment compared to investment of the person using this set and bar-slot.

Templar purge has 5k base cost, typically about 4200 with passives, I'd hardly call that no punishment.
    Necro one was costs health in an already low healing meta.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whenever you deal damage with Soul Magic using the 5-piece bonus, you mark the target’s soul, dealing 12820 Magic Damage over 10 seconds.

What does "using the 5-piece bonus even mean? It applies the dot when the set does damage with the dot that the set applies?
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume any target you hit with either the DOT or the Ult will also get that debuff. This basically makes the AE dot compulsory but at the same time the DOT + proc combined are pretty low in overall damage.

So short of the set looking like this:

2pc: 129 weapon and spell damage
    3pc: 129 weapon and spell damage
    4pc: 129 weapon and spell damage
    5pc: 129 weapon and spell damage, Whenever you deal damage with Soul Magic using the 5-piece bonus, you mark the target’s soul, dealing 12820 Magic Damage over 10 seconds.

I'm not sure people will use it. Now would be a good time to breath some new life into the soul magic line though. Make one of the ultimate morphs act like Ballista for example and make it summon a spirit that tethers to the target would be nice.
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole fun of it was using soul assault, there will be little purpose to doing that if its just a dot proc you can get from soul trap, it would be nice if there was something other than a inferior to all stam dots mag dot proc set (not that I am suggesting we need more dots as strong as the stam ones, they should be in a 12k range not the 22k one).

It was a cool idea to get people to try more spells out, yes it was overtuned but I feel like there has to be a way to keep soul assault on the menu