The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

IT'S THE ESO BEST VILLAIN FORUM POLL COMPETITION!!! (Spoilers)

• Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shalidor
    Angof
    King Kurog
    Naryu
    The Tribunal
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's take daedric princes / lords / "gods" out of the discussion (because it's "too easy" to be very very bad if you're overpowered).

Let's take standard story quest villains out of the equation too, because there are too many of them, and we always end up 2-shotting them at he end of their respective quest line, which makes them both too weak and too forgettable to be true villains.

That leaves us with the one true evil : Mannimarco. Cruel, powerful, ambitious, dominating, selfish, traitor, enduring, clever, manipulating... the guy has everything and more.

That being said... listen to Lady Laurent talking to / about poor Stibbons... maybe she can beat Mannimarco as the true villain.

• Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is good to have links in starting post with the poll or in the separate thread, because some NPC are more complex, than it is seen from the first sight and sometimes there are interesting twists in their story not always known to the player. For example, it is possible to fully know Lady Estre only if she is freed in Coldharbour and you finally can speak with her.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭
    Empress Regent Clivia Tharn aka Molag Kena >:)
    https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about this: we'll take out the daedric princes, because their plots completely eclipse anything the regular villains can do and it would be a complete blowout. Plus, we've already done the best deity competition, so daedrics have already had their turn.

We'll stick to the overarching villain per each zone, unless that villain happens to also be a daedric prince, in which case they're out. For good measure, I'll also put in the main villains for some (but not all) of the dungeons/trials. I'll leave some out because the main boss in some dungeons isn't a villain per se, it's just like "oh this dwemer construct came to life! oh noes we have to kill it"

That sound like a plan to everyone?
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pacrooti ?

Definitely!
  • jamesterj14
    jamesterj14
    ✭✭✭
    1. King Kurog, even with your input he still nearly succeeded and genuinely thought he was doing the right thing (heck, even i have a hard time saying he didn't have the best thing in mind for his people).
    2. The hound (enemy from greenshade), unpopular opinion i know but i loved this story and felt sorry for him, you could see why he joined hircine, dude lost everything.
    3. Meridia, just gonna say one word, "Darien", yeah, this hag's definitely on the villain list
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't take Main Story Villains seriously when their fights are laughably easy and clearly designed for new players.

If they added difficulty options for the Story Bosses (like Solo dungeons) then that would be different
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    3. Meridia, just gonna say one word, "Darien", yeah, this hag's definitely on the villain list

^ This.
  • Ufretin
    Ufretin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abnur Tharn, when he was still a (semi-)villain and not yet the "softened-by-old-age" bore they made of him in Elsweyr...
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should be good!!
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rada al Saran, and not just because he tortured my boyfriend.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next point of order: do you guys want each new matchup to be a surprise, like past competitions? Or do you want a bracket?
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    If we are talking about most nefarious and well-thought plans (your guideline #2), then I can think of no better candidate than Nocturnal. The sheer magnitude of her scheme and goals in Summerset (which is the final part of the multi-staged plan hundreds of years in the making) is breathtaking. Even other daedric princes, including Molag Bal with his local Planemeld (not to mention dragons or vampires) look like petty road bandits compared to her. There was nothing this big in ESO before Summerset, and there was nothing this big ever since, even remotely comparable.

Of course, other than that, she's more like a classic cartoon villain in ESO, and if we are talking about interesting and well-written villains, it's the whole another story and nomination. Mannimarco, or members of the Tharn family come to mind, King Kurog, even Veya.
    Edited by Sheridan on August 12, 2020 5:50AM
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DAGOTH UR
    LG-cardart-Dagoth_Ur.png

Those who have visited the Sixth House bases in 3E 427 won't forget that sense of something dark, ancient and horrific, the flows of lava and the sound of a Sixth House' chime. I think Dagoth Ur is the most interesting character there - a noble hero said to be both a traitor and a loyal friend, a powerful mage and a dark god who shared his power with his servants. Unlike many other characters he is not a typical villain and, in my opinion, the most unstoppable by all means. He has honor and noble goals, but evil means. Unlike all the other villains, Dagoth Ur cannot be killed without the Tools of Kagrenac. And even with them it is crucial to know the way how to use them! His victory over the Tribunal and the Nerevarine would have caused the ash storms all over Tamriel, all the denizens would have been turned into monsters and nothing could have stopped him, his hordes of monsters, his Akulakhan (or Numidium if the Tribunes were loyal to their word) and the power of the Heart of Lorkhan itself. Unlike the Daedra, Dagoth Ur was not bound by any compacts, he could not be both killed or banished - he is the machine of an unstoppable conquest and the doom to entire Nirn who could perform all the plots of the other TES villains we have ever met.

Tamriel was very lucky Vivec managed to escape Red Mountain after his defeat; to keep at least one of the three Tools; to build the Great Ghost Fence in order to contain Dagoth Ur and his hordes until the arrival of the Nerevarine who was the only one in Tamriel who could at least travel to Red Mountain safely; to instruct the Nerevarine on the only way to defeat Dagoth Ur. Tamriel was very lucky to have Divayth Fyr among all the mages who could ever make it all happen by playing his crucial part of the play, though his success count was 1 of possibly thousands of tries he ever performed. Without that chain of such a specific and very lucky circumstances Tamriel would have been doomed - everyone would be dead or transformed into those horrific beasts only to fight the invasion forces of Mehrunes Dagon in 3E 433 (I suppose it would have happened much earlier, maybe years after 2E 882) and later Alduin in 4E 201. But without any of the sentient beings alive, would there be any difference who would survive that deathmatch of the three evils? Comparing him to other villains, I think Dagoth Ur posed the worst threat and fate to everyone living on Nirn.

Ah.. Stop. It's ESO only villains? Then it is Magistrix Urili Vox and Alexandra Conele, all their troops, Clavicus Vile, Emeric, Ayrenn and all those who inflicted harm to Morrowind. Morrowind did nothing bad to them to be treated that way. So, all those who inflicted harm to the Dominion and Covenant are not villains at all.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on August 12, 2020 11:06AM
  • SshadowSscale
    SshadowSscale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honeslty most villians is just a sad joke in eso nowadays and you can ussally tell who is going to betray you within the first quest... But there are 2 wich does in deed stand out for me... The first is the forge mother and king kurog because that is the best zos has ever done with betrayal and I geniunly felt betrayed because I heloed them and thought I was doing the right thing and then all of the sudden kurog jams a blade through one of the chieftans wich cought me completly of guard yet I still wanted to trust that he is doing the best for the orc race for what ever reason..... The second is Manimarco... For someone to gain that much power to the point of being called the king of worms... The strongest necromancer in Tamriel with prolably the biggest cult following in all of tamriel yet he still wants more power and tries to ascend to godhood by making a deal with the god of schemes.... And then the absolute mad lad tries to out scheme the god of schemes... And he propably could have done it if the vestige did not spoil his plans..... He is one of those villians that I hate but also cannot help but admire for how far he was willing to go to get what he wanted..... And on a side note.... Zos when are we getting his staff as a motif please
  • Geekgirl
    Geekgirl
    ✭✭✭
    That necromancer from Selene's Web.

Ooooh, do I want to hurt him in interesting ways...
    PC/NA - Perpetually casual. Furniture and fish collector. Lover of exploration and opener of urns.
    Maxed CPs, still no clue how to endgame, too much time opening urns, prolly.
    Eve Morrison - Templar DPS - Furniture Crafter/Maker of Arms - Co-op w/hubby/achievements/crafting
    Jilly Narraway - MagDK DPS - Delves/Dungeons/Dolmans - She murders ALL THE THINGS!
    Fynn the Lucky - Warden Tank -- Seer of things/Explorer of places - RP/Solo/Storyline/Completionist
    Siluna Southpaw - StamDK DPS slippery-fingered type/Murder hobo - RP/Solo/Storyline
  • Auroan
    Auroan
    ✭✭✭
    Best Villain in ESO? "Best" might not be the best word, but most dangerous? Nocturnal.

Summerset had, IMO, the best story, and unfortunately, I don't think any future chapter will be able to surpass it in terms of urgency. The stakes in Summerset were set higher then anything else we've seen, or will likely see. Nocturnal was literally about to take control of the Crystal Tower and it's power, a Tower that exists in all realms and realities, thus granting her virtually infinite power. As Sotha Sil himself put it, "ingenious". It's going to be very difficult creating a villain that makes you feel a sense of urgency from having such great stakes. "If we don't stop X or Y, they'll kill the entire planet". Okay, but will they have infinite power and dominion over all realms and realities? Didn't think so, lol.
    "And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
    That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
    Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
    With a hunger to swallow the world!"
    54k Achievement Point Club
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    I think it is good to have links in starting post with the poll or in the separate thread, because some NPC are more complex, than it is seen from the first sight and sometimes there are interesting twists in their story not always known to the player. For example, it is possible to fully know Lady Estre only if she is freed in Coldharbour and you finally can speak with her.

Yeah, I've only done that quest once or twice, and I always picked Angof. He definitely seemed more sympathetic afterwards.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think this competition is likely to go well unless there are two brackets, with daedra in one and mortals in the other.

• Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think this competition is likely to go well unless there are two brackets, with daedra in one and mortals in the other.

That's why I'm leaving daedrics out - so it's not a complete blowout.
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuga. Or any NPC who chases you around town.
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
    PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
    Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
    RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I haven't forgotten about this; RL stuff came up. But this'll be up soon*, I promise! <3

• Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice thread. 👍

I like a Thieves Guild storyline because the "villains" become a common people with own problems and feelings, and the all story is just an unfortunate coincidence and simple fight against crime and nobody planned to harm badly someone.

Also the best was Orsinium villains, especially for my DC character because she came to help to allies and then was forced to kill a mad leader and start the Covenant breakup with own hands. :C
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it is too early to include Meridia in the list. She is not a villain in ESO (yet?). She will be a patron of the villain in TES 4 Oblivion. The message from Darien is simply common sense, a word of caution, for others to not forget that daedra is daedra. Same with Meridia, same with Azura. Some daedra may be beneficial for mortal races, but they will always think about themselves first.

Well, a villain doesn't have to be of a moustache-twirling kind. Meridia is very manipulative and she's known for things like helping Umaril and "purifying" mortals of their free will (according to Depths of Malatar story and skin descripton). I think that kinda makes her a villain, and a very successful one: she's yet to lose, unlike the others mentioned in this thread. :)
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on September 1, 2020 6:42AM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it is too early to include Meridia in the list. She is not a villain in ESO (yet?). She will be a patron of the villain in TES 4 Oblivion. The message from Darien is simply common sense, a word of caution, for others to not forget that daedra is daedra. Same with Meridia, same with Azura. Some daedra may be beneficial for mortal races, but they will always think about themselves first.

Well, a villain doesn't have to be of a moustache-twirling kind. Meridia is very manipulative and she's known for things like helping Umaril and "purifying" mortals of their free will (according to Depths of Malatar story and skin descripton). I think that kinda makes her a villain, and a very successful one: she's yet to lose, unlike the others mentioned in this thread. :)
    All daedra lords have their own plans, all of the have their own goals. Of course, Meridia helps us, because she hates Molag Bal, not because of her big kind heart. But everything she is doing in ESO helps us and helps Nirn.

We know very little about Umaril, especially about his first appearance. He was likely half-daedra, but we know nothing about him personally. He took revenge in the 4th era, and given the circumstances of his death it is understandable.

There is nothing evil in purifying, as it was done to oath-breakers (criminals). Don't give the oath to the higher power, if you don't want to keep it, or face consequences. This is simply justice, very effective justice. Don't break law and your own word, or you will not be able to do it. Evil act would be purifying in advance to prevent potential breaking of the oath.

Meridia has two primary characteristics that define everything. First, she is a rebel. She became daedra, when she could become an aedra.That is the reason why it is bad to worship her (and why divine prosecution is against her followers).

Second, she is powerful. She can use her power the way she wants, and that is mostly determined by her domain (life and light) and her emotions. Just like any other sane and sapient creature she has emotions and thus she can love, she can hate, she can revenge. If we look at Tamriel, we will see, that this is common for all kind of gods:
    - Azura (chimer don't believe in me anymore, curse them all)
    - Vivec (believe in me and love me, or this huge rock will kill you all)
    - Divines (ayleids in WGT don't believe in us anymore, let's create the weapon of mass destruction and flood Cyrod with blood)
    - Akatosh (this world needs a reset button, come here, Alduin, my son).
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I nominate Grand Warlord Dortene and Grand Warlord Zimmeron together with their false kings.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag in vMA when going for flawless?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody mentions Rilis?

I'm not shocked...he hums slightly off key....
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vivec. "Love me or I'll obliterate you all with Bar Dau". He uses "Blessing Stones" to control the minds of people living in Vivec City cantons.

A self-confessed repeat mass sex offender based solely on the fact that he always uses magical stealth or mind control to negate the principle of consent.

His worst crime - attempting to achieve transcendence by violence, and inciting others to do so, when it can only truly be achieved through love.

Many other cases to be taken into consideration, but I can't list them all here.

Basically the biggest creep on the planet.
    PC EU