The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Constant load screen freezes

TheWoanderer
TheWoanderer
✭✭✭
It's hard not to write an angry post, especially when you are totally fed up....
But here goes.
I am sick and tired of load screen freezes between switching toons.
Having to return to xbox home screen and reload the game multiple times across my daily writs is wrecking my game experience and causing my daily writs to take hours meaning I am getting little time to actually play the game.
As a GM I have to do writs in order to keep building my guild House.
Can someone please offer me some advice on how to minimize the incredibly frustrating issue or at least offer some reason as to why this happens every single day.
I'm starting to question why I pay you for such a horrendous experience.
I'm tired of deleting games saves or resetting my mac address with the jaded hope that maybe one day it may make a difference.
It doesn't...
This issue has got progressively worse over the year and a half I've played despite having had to reinstall the game more than once either just out of desperation of a fix or at the request of Zos with their statement of "console users will notice a difference"

How and/or why is this happening?

XB/EU
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    In the process of reinstalls etc over the years do you know if you ever deleted the 'save data' for ESO? It may not be your specific issue but that is the best place to start for any odd behavior of ESO on consoles. It doesnt store anything related to your characters and is save to delete and helps the game start 'fresh' with its cache files. The only other thing I've seen cause loading issues would be internet related (often wifi specifically) but that can be harder to figure out. You can try not using wifi, if you are using it.
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly I don't have the option of hardwiring in to the router. My daughter runs her pc off a WiFi extender and plays Apex online yet whilst I'm frozen she is still online ingame and playing. Xbox tests though questionable state my connection is good and I don't have this issue with any other game I play, only ESO. The often delete the save game data because its one of the things Zos constantly suggest.

This particular issue sadly is one of many and unfortunately about 20 minutes ago with vet maelstrom arena totally freaking out on me, despite going in with a much stronger build than last time, character freezing, skills not firing etc. I have had enough.
    I've just told my acting GM that I am done....
    I'm handing it all over to him and it's over.
    I'm not paying a company for this level of frustration anymore.

Appreciate your response though, it seems as though the community does more for players than this company ever will, if I could give you a free pet for your time taken I would 😉
    Forgive the sarcasm, I'm trying to break the total hopelessness I've been left with.

Thanks again for your response.
  • gp1680
    gp1680
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is happening on Xbox na too. Happened to me twice today already. Don’t give me that crap about deleting saved data either. I did it today after the first freeze and it happened again a couple hours later. This game is a performance train wreck and ZOS is incapable of fixing, plain and simple.
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    gp1680 wrote: »
    This is happening on Xbox na too. Happened to me twice today already. Don’t give me that crap about deleting saved data either. I did it today after the first freeze and it happened again a couple hours later. This game is a performance train wreck and ZOS is incapable of fixing, plain and simple.

Unfortunately in the computer world (including consoles) what works for some doesnt work for all. Clearing save data has worked for many issues on both consoles over the years but it isnt universal. There are just too many variables.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @TheWoanderer

If clearing the local save data and reinstalling have not helped with your loading screen issues, you can open a ticket with customer support for further assistance.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @TheWoanderer

If clearing the local save data and reinstalling have not helped with your loading screen issues, you can open a ticket with customer support for further assistance.

I have... More than once.
    Got the email that said 'if we don't hear back within 4 days' etc.
    Sent a response straight away, detailing exactly what was happening... That was on the 20th of July.
    So I do ask for some understanding on my level of frustration.

I am also aware that ISP's have their role but with this happening so often I've actually become quite aware of the differences in my screen freezes and crashes.
    I'm also aware that I put a lot of hours into this game and therefore I'm bound to experience more issues than other players, but it has got to a stage where I look at my xbox and just say... No... Not today and may go for 2 days without playing.

Also running a guild I'm quite aware of the issues others face and no-one seems to have it as bad.
    Having what feels like a bad rng on the harder content, coupled with my load screen issues and different crashes makes farming for a lead or an achievement very frustrating.

An example. Completing NMOL on my healer the other night, as I'm about to hand the quest in... Crash... Error 304, Error 307?, Error 308, Internet connection is needed to play this title, yet xbox is showing it's usual things, not the usual 'connect to xbox live' that does show when I actually do have an ISP disconnect. Lucky for me a few of my guild members hung around for 15/20 minutes until I finally got back in so I could hand in the quest.

I'm going to reinstall the game one last time, a few days after today's update.

Thank you for responding.
    It is appreciated deeply.

• ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Hey there @TheWoanderer

Do you have a ticket number that we could look into for you?
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    Hey there @TheWoanderer

Do you have a ticket number that we could look into for you?

Hi
    Really appreciate the speedy response.
    I have this Incident: 200720-005676

Is that what you need?
    If not I will seek out the correct info and ensure you get it.

Again
    I really appreciate the response
    Sincerely
    W'o'a
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Thanks for providing your ticket number @TheWoanderer

We can confirm that your ticket is in the right place and a support agent will reach out to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for being patient with us, as we are currently experiencing high contact volumes due to the impact of COVID-19.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    No probs.
    Appreciate the update
    Thank you
  • HelixUnited
    HelixUnited
    ✭✭✭
    same issue xbox eu
    fed up trying to train mounts on my other toons because swapping can take so long having to close the game reopen it between every one, sometimes it works fine and i get them all done other times i just quit... havent posted a ticket because atm not really playing just logging and trying to train mount speeds
    have deleted saves have reinstalled doesnt work
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    I fully understand your frustration. I will say the past few days have seemed slightly better for me, I'm not having as many freezes.
    Across my 7 toons I would need to switch on average 9 times to do writs and do house keeping in my bank and inventory. I would have an average of 5 freezes, and a variety of errors.
    This is not including issues experienced during gameplay. Such as blade of woe not working. Makes the correct sounds but nothing happens meaning I can't kill the NPC for it to respawn for another thief, or vet maelstrom lag, bar swapping or respawning stuck halfway in the water etc.
    The past 3 days I'm averaging between 1 and 3 freezes which even though is still a problem, I'm grateful enough being aware of the time I'm saving.
    A new issue though, which isn't a problem to be honest is its freezing on logging out.

I've yet to follow the processes suggested in my email response from Zos, mostly due to my guild as we are at that point of assigning roles to members and I need to be online to ensure we are choosing the right people.

I will update here if I find that it makes a noticeable difference and let you know what the procedures were, if you want.

Stay strong
    W'o'a
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    Well. That was short lived... Approximately 2 weeks, 1 maybe 2 freezes....
    Update and now my freezes are even worse than before....
    Ages...
    And error 304

I give up.
    Edited by TheWoanderer on August 26, 2020 9:54PM
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    Select character
    Load Screen begins
    Music stops after 5 seconds
    Auriborous turns without any jagged movements
    No Unusually long notifications appear at all
    After 8 minutes or so (timed) kicked back to dashboard or Error 308
    If I quit I receive Error 304 upon logging back in.

What do I do...

Seems to be happening primarily to my lower level toons.

If I get Error 308 I can't log back in, load screen freezes with no sound resulting in me having to quit to dashboard.

XB/EU
    Edited by TheWoanderer on August 30, 2020 10:48PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @TheWoanderer

Have you tried contacting Xbox Support as suggested in the last response on the ticket you submitted?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    Hi...
    Yes... I had already done that and received a response underneath your reply stating my ticket was in the right place...
    I also received an email which outlined steps I'm all too familiar with as once you've experienced these issues more than a few times, you just tend to automatically follow those steps.

I had about 2 weeks where I maybe had one brief freeze every 2 days, 2 at most and they were fairly quick to recover from, that is not a problem to me and is expected in truth but then we had the update and it got even worse than before

It genuinely is only with ESO that I have this problem. If I experienced it across other games I would be far more accepting and understanding.

Some guild masters have up to 30 something or more toons in order to run their guilds effectively, I have 7 and all I'm thinking is how on earth am I going to achieve that level of commitment going through this problem consistently.

There is nothing more frustrating than staring at your screen for 8 minutes a time, wondering if its just taking a while or whether you are going to be kicked back to dashboard and have to go through the entire loading process again and whether you will be told you are already logged in causing it to take even longer.

When that happens 4 or 5 times you're looking at 35 minutes minimum or more of time lost to frozen load screens and reloading the game.

I'm at a loss

The new update is busy downloading at present, I'm hopeful but dubious understandibly.

Do you want me to raise another ticket?

Could my game install be faulty?
    Do the updates completely reinstall the core game files?
    If I have to reinstall the game, I will do so (as I didn't after the last update) but if that does not fix the issue it would be enough to break me sadly, just being brutally honest... It's genuinely affecting my enjoyment and any logical person would eventually say enough now.

Daily I find myself looking at the xbox wondering whether I want to deal with the frustration and if I do and experience the issues I find I just sigh, and switch it off.

I do appreciate your response and apologise for the essay I've written.

Sincerely
    W'o'a
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE

Just wanted to update.
    To show that I'm not all about complaining and like to give credit where credit is due.

Since the update I have had one freeze.
    I have now managed to create 9 characters for crafting and switch between them without incident.

Naturally I fear tempting fate by vocalising this but did want you to know that so far, despite other in game issues like Mount Stamina etc etc.
    My gameplay enjoyment has certainly improved.

Sincerely
    W'o'a

• carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard not to write an angry post, especially when you are totally fed up....
    But here goes.
    I am sick and tired of load screen freezes between switching toons.
    Having to return to xbox home screen and reload the game multiple times across my daily writs is wrecking my game experience and causing my daily writs to take hours meaning I am getting little time to actually play the game.
    As a GM I have to do writs in order to keep building my guild House.
    Can someone please offer me some advice on how to minimize the incredibly frustrating issue or at least offer some reason as to why this happens every single day.
    I'm starting to question why I pay you for such a horrendous experience.
    I'm tired of deleting games saves or resetting my mac address with the jaded hope that maybe one day it may make a difference.
    It doesn't...
    This issue has got progressively worse over the year and a half I've played despite having had to reinstall the game more than once either just out of desperation of a fix or at the request of Zos with their statement of "console users will notice a difference"

How and/or why is this happening?

XB/EU

It happens to me about 50% of the time when either starting up the game or switching characters. This started after the most recent update. However, it is not a new phenomenon, but one that had been corrected in the past. As is typical with this game, old bugs seem to find their way back every so often, especially after updates are installed. So, they will fix the problem in a few weeks, but in so doing will bring about some other issues. Then, in about 6 months-give or take, the problem will return. That seems to be the pattern.
    Oh, and it has nothing to do with wifi. I’ve been hardwired for the four years I’ve been playing.
    Edited by carlos424 on September 16, 2020 12:43PM
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    It happens to me about 50% of the time when either starting up the game or switching characters. This started after the most recent update. However, it is not a new phenomenon, but one that had been corrected in the past. As is typical with this game, old bugs seem to find their way back every so often, especially after updates are installed. So, they will fix the problem in a few weeks, but in so doing will bring about some other issues. Then, in about 6 months-give or take, the problem will return. That seems to be the pattern.
    Oh, and it has nothing to do with wifi. I’ve been hardwired for the four years I’ve been playing. [/quote]

Believe me...
    I feel your frustration.
    Been struggling with the issue for ages and in truth I'm dreading the update today just because, as you said. The issues always return.

It got so frustrating that I'd wake up and look at my xbox and say... Nope. I not prepared to put up with the frustration today and found myself not logging in for 4 days which is not good as I run a Guild.

If the problem returns it will push me over the edge as doing daily crafting on 9 toons without this issue is taking me 2 hours now, nevermind the surveys and the long load screens between each transition.

It was and will be (if the problem returns) a very serious issue for me.

I sincerely hope you find a fix.
    Please do update if something changes.

Hope is sometimes the only thing that keeps us putting up with the issues

Stay strong
    W'o'a