Maintenance for the week of August 10:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – August 10th, 3:00AM EDT (7:00 UTC) – 7:00AM EDT (11:00 UTC)
The Stonethorn DLC and Update 27 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Greymoor Home Decorating Contest - Winner photoshopped/filtered?

NotaDaedraWorshipper
NotaDaedraWorshipper
✭✭✭✭✭
Firstly, I shall congratulate all the winners, and thank ZoS for holding a housing contest with such nice prices. Couldn't been easy to decide winners and runner ups.

But after looking at the winners closely I've found something that is really bothering me. Which is that the Nord theme winner's screenshot looks photoshopped or at least filtered with something. The in game textures and lightning doesn't look like that.

pB9TurU.png
Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on July 25, 2020 1:27PM
[Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to the home and reproduced the shot. I'm pretty sure you guys are wrong on some of these, especially the perspective on the wheels. Looks like Seaofstars did in fact take a normal screenie. But the horn does look odd. Maybe time of day? It's partially outside. 8jctuzd7kghh.png

Good counterpoint
    Really, idk
  • Caelnir
    Caelnir
    ✭✭✭
    That proves it's edited even more. You couldn't fit the items on sides as he/she did. Textures are still different and color correction is even more visible. As I stated before, there is no editing on furnishing aspect but noone can convince me that screenshot is not edited. It is %100 not raw.
  • Caelnir
    Caelnir
    ✭✭✭
    You can fit more in if you change the FoV, it did this with mine.

Let's say she changed FoV, and let's say the angle is all right. Do you still think there is no editing color wise or some kind of fx filter on that screenshot? I really do not buy that brush texture on some items myself.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. Fitting everything into the screenshot is not what bothers me and made me think it's altered in some way, but the lightning and brushed feeling of the textures.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JnD wrote: »
    I really don't mind if they used or not a slight photoshop or editing effect to publish it.
    All houses that won or runners up are absolutely amazing.
    I'm sure, as they said in the video, that many people sent beautiful creations. It would be awesome to be able to see some if them :smile:

I showed a few on my stream today and I am happy to tour anyone's entries on PC/NA or EU - please just let me know! I was super impressed with just the ones I saw today!
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Caelnir
    Caelnir
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @caelnir it takes real guts to admit that. I admire that.

Well, I am just pointing out the issues that might be caused because of the reasons "not" because of editing.

I am still sceptical person about it and remain to be. No matter which light I tried her items always look more blurry than mine and texture is always more blended with background. There are things I can not explain without proof. It's not my place to claim what people did or did not.

Also there is no reason to jump on people voicing their doubts either. We are not attacking, we are sharing our thoughts. Hope that is clear.
  • JnD
    JnD
    JnD wrote: »
    I really don't mind if they used or not a slight photoshop or editing effect to publish it.
    All houses that won or runners up are absolutely amazing.
    I'm sure, as they said in the video, that many people sent beautiful creations. It would be awesome to be able to see some if them :smile:

I showed a few on my stream today and I am happy to tour anyone's entries on PC/NA or EU - please just let me know! I was super impressed with just the ones I saw today!

Sorry, I hadn't seen your today's stream. I will tonight, for sure. Looking forward to it! :blush:
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm of a similar mindset as Caelnir and can only agree with him. I have in no way meant their house is badly done or not deserving of winning. If I'm wrong then I'd be wrong and I'm fine with that. I've also tried reason the things I deem odd with various things that would explain it.
    But I'm still sceptical about it and think it looks amiss.
  • ZOS_AntonioP
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for getting a bit off-topic. For further posts be sure to stay constructive with the Forum Rules in mind to avoid thread derailment.

Thank you for understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, yes it does look unnatural, especially compared to Stabby's comparison. I play on a high-end PC with max graphics settings, and even with either of the Anti-aliasing settings, and with low gamma, images never come out that smooth and vibrant. They may have indeed touched up their screenshot after the fact, because those don't look like qualities achievable with the vanilla ingame settings.

However, they might just be using a Graphics tweak AddOn or Reshade mod:
    uf2fquvitsi21.png
    pjxzsykd9aas.png
    If they have something like this, all their game will look different from base game values, and they may not have deliberately 'tampered' with their contest entry. The rules clearly said to disable Special FX, but there was no mention of forbidding the use of Graphical enhancement mods. So it wouldn't have been against the rules.
    Edited by bluebird on July 25, 2020 9:53PM
  • Chuck_Finley
    Chuck_Finley
    ✭✭✭
    One of the Vampire winners looked a little bit touched up to me too but ultimately they were all very nice homes and I'm sure they would have won anyway. Because it was about the design of the home, not how vibrant the reds were or how deep the blacks were.

However since they said repeatedly that by the end they couldn't really pick their "favorite 3" because there were so many they loved, I would love to see an extended gallery go up of all the entries they loved. Even if they post 80 images for each category :smiley:

Heck even if its 200+ images per category I'd love to see the best entries from this contest! I just loved this contest idea so much and I really want to see more!
  • Chuck_Finley
    Chuck_Finley
    ✭✭✭

What is your stream or youtube link? I would love to see a tour of the entries too!
    Edited by Chuck_Finley on July 26, 2020 2:55AM
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What is your stream or youtube link? I would love to see a tour of the entries too!

I will be putting an index up today so you can skip directly to the entries, but for now, here's a link to the episode:

I'll be doing more
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    If they have something like this, all their game will look different from base game values, and they may not have deliberately 'tampered' with their contest entry. The rules clearly said to disable Special FX, but there was no mention of forbidding the use of Graphical enhancement mods. So it wouldn't have been against the rules.

One of many reasons why these competitions should be divided to PC only and console only. We can not use any mods or addons or pts and we are forced to compete in the same category. That's the most unfair aspect of housing contest.
  • mikikatze
    mikikatze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my god, you sound like somebody took something away from you which you never owned in the first place...

Did it state in the rules that Photoshop etc. is forbidden? I only read the German rules where this wasn't mentioned.
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Screenshot looks like upon reshade, it wasnt forbidden as i've read.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It could be as simple as just gamma. I should state: Mine is usually up pretty high for touring houses, and that could explain the difference.
    Edited by StabbityDoom on July 26, 2020 1:07PM
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly, I shall congratulate all the winners, and thank ZoS for holding a housing contest with such nice prices. Couldn't been easy to decide winners and runner ups.

But after looking at the winners closely I've found something that is really bothering me. Which is that the Nord theme winner's screenshot looks photoshopped or at least filtered with something. The in game textures and lightning doesn't look like that.

pB9TurU.png

k2lfrc4jk8vm.png

Posting this for comparison; taken from the ESO live stream twitch.tv/videos/689595274 at 54:20
    Doesn't seem to be any difference to me and I highly doubt they edited it in real time; feel free to go look at it yourself.
    Edited by Kittytravel on July 27, 2020 2:20AM
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

pB9TurU.png
    Posting this for comparison; taken from the ESO live stream twitch.tv/videos/689595274 at 54:20
    Doesn't seem to be any difference to me and I highly doubt they edited it in real time; feel free to go look at it yourself.
    Just FYI, that's the same image. ESO Live was showing off the Screenshots, they didn't visit anybody's home. :smile:

But in any case, touching up the image or using graphics tuning addons wasn't against the rules anyway. And the judges likely looked at the creativity of the concept, the execution of the vision, and the details put into the entries (as they seemed to be mentioning those criteria often during the stream). Even OP wasn't campaigning to have the winner disqualified at all (unless I missed some malicious comments that were later deleted), and as I said they have done nothing against the rules either way so people were just wondering how exactly they got the entry to look like that.
    Edited by bluebird on July 27, 2020 2:42AM
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »

pB9TurU.png
    Just FYI, that's the same image. ESO Live was showing off the Screenshots, they didn't visit anybody's home. :smile:

But in any case, touching up the image or using graphics tuning addons wasn't against the rules anyway. And the judges likely looked at the creativity of the concept, the execution of the vision, and the details put into the entries (as they seemed to be mentioning those criteria often during the stream). Even OP wasn't campaigning to have the winner disqualified at all (unless I missed some malicious comments that were later deleted), and as I said they have done nothing against the rules either way so people were just wondering how exactly they got the entry to look like that.

Thanks, the lower resolution on OPs image confused me as well as the slight cropping at the very top of it.
This discussion has been closed.