The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

An Actual Auction for ESO? (NOT a GAH!)

RedSwallow
RedSwallow
✭✭✭
After seeing one more thread about how this game needs a GAH, I discussed the issue with a friend who doesn't play ESO enough to care, and he said that it would be really cool if the game could implement a real Auction Event one day instead of any tipe of auction houses. I've been thinking about something like this before myself, so I figured maybe if I'm not the only one to come up with an idea, it's worth bringing to the forum.

So, what an "Auction Event" could possibly mean:
1. It is an event which happens on an exact date at an exact place where anyone can sell stuff and anyone can buy it;
2. There are bids involved;
3. It is for rare/expensive lots only;
4. To participate as a seller you need to register your lot beforehand.
Probably, like for any real auction there should be lists of what to expect at the auction and special lots only available for "members".
There also might be a system which allowed to buy or somehow else recieve information about "secret" lots which are not announced yet.

What makes it cool:
1. It's a real auction where people come and bid in real time! Maybe an NPC even shouts something like "half a million gold one, half a million gold two, half a million gold three! Sold to that lady with a giant sword in the back raw!" Like, a whole new role-play experience!
2. People who are willing to sell and buy rare stuff (like, a couple of thousands of corn flowers at once or a unique design) know, that they will probably find each other at this event and won't have to run through zone chats in hopes that the right person sees their messages.

What are obvious issues:
1. How the system understands which items are rare and which are not?
2. What if there are too many people willing to participate as sellers?
3. What if bidding happens too fast and some people can't make a bid because of connection problems?
Well, for the 2nd it can probably be solved via establishing more events or simplifying the procedure (like, there will be no NPC and shouting, only a window with current bids) and the 3rd is handled with right timers.

I don't say we need it here and now or that we need it at all, but why not to discuss this thing instead of a GAH?

Or maybe you have some other cool ideas of what can be added to the trading system to make it fun, I'd really love to read!
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with your idea is performance - ESO doesn't run well as soon as people gather in larger quantities.
  • RedSwallow
    RedSwallow
    ✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    The problem with your idea is performance - ESO doesn't run well as soon as people gather in larger quantities.
    Maybe it can be solved with auction location needing registration for not only sellers, but buyers too. Or the event can be hold for a very little amount of items at once, like 5 or 3 or even 1?
    The main idea is to let people know that those items will be there and then, so maybe it doesn't have to be a really huge thing. I don't have a statistics, but probably there won't be more then a couple of dozens of people willing the particular same painting or other sort of thing.

Edited by RedSwallow on June 30, 2020 2:32AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i choose to play the game because I want to play the game. Not participate in an auction. It may draw interest in the very beginning but like all events that are pretty much the same every time, they get boring. This is not even to the level of an actual event.

As others have said, maybe good for a guild event.
    Edited by idk on June 30, 2020 2:52AM
  • Langdon64
    Langdon64
    ✭✭✭✭
    That actually sounds like a fun guild event! However, I still think the game needs a GAH. Maybe the current system worked well in the vanilla days but, there are just too many locations now to make searching for an item enjoyable. And if you are looking for more than one item, the travel time grows exponentially. Not my idea of fun.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many trading guilds have that kind of event to help pay for the traders.
    The Moot Councillor