The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Antiquity leads behind fishing is proof ZOS hates us

• Xologamer
    Xologamer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    Ok...maybe not. But dear lord...hour after hour of staring at the screen pushing the same key/button every few seconds with nothing but a bunch of fish you can filet by staring at the screen and pushing a key/button every few seconds. It's just cruel and inhumane. In addition to "Stormproof", they should add the title "Fishproof" for anyone who can sit through hours of such mindless mundanity. :/

it takes litterly 30min for all fhising leads [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on June 3, 2020 1:29PM
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh noes, they included elements of core gameplay in core gameplay. What's the world coming to???

/runandhide

>:)
  • AlAbaster
    AlAbaster
    ✭✭
    Somnilux wrote: »
    Problem: there has never been a fishing minigame that wasn't awful.

Fixed that for you!

The Obsolete Man
  • arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fishing is actually a great timewaster when I don't feel like questing/hunting for stuff. i use Votan's Fisherman, which flashes a large hook and amplifies the sound when it's time to reel in. In the meantime, I do other things, such as watch old OWL streams (memory permitting), play Pokemon Go (yeah, I still play that game), or do back-and-forth messages with my friends.

Also, while I haven't tested this feature out, I believe Votan's Fisherman allows you to Filet All Stacks, which filets them for you while you go and do other things like grab a cup of coffee or do laundry.
    If you can't handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!
  • Rukia541
    Rukia541
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solution: make fishing a better minigame.

I liked fishing in zelda :neutral:
  • Orphium
    Orphium
    Soul Shriven

Tbh, I pretty much enjoyed fishing in Stardew Vallew. It was actually challenging and fun, and profitable.
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arena25 wrote: »
    Fishing is actually a great timewaster when I don't feel like questing/hunting for stuff. i use Votan's Fisherman, which flashes a large hook and amplifies the sound when it's time to reel in. In the meantime, I do other things, such as watch old OWL streams (memory permitting), play Pokemon Go (yeah, I still play that game), or do back-and-forth messages with my friends.

Also, while I haven't tested this feature out, I believe Votan's Fisherman allows you to Filet All Stacks, which filets them for you while you go and do other things like grab a cup of coffee or do laundry.

It's also a great way to ditch a bounty if you're too cheap to pay it, like me... :D
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Trying (again) for Master Angler before Greymoor comes to console but after a good start (AD & DC done), The Rift is so damn frustrating I might give up again.

But I want that boat.

I would love to have that boat for the dock I built at Hunding's Palatial Hall. But I just can't get into the fishing here.
    Also, I'm never going to set foot in Cyro. :#

(not sure what it is about the fishing in this game. I mean, I ground out multiple maxed-out fishers in WoW back in the day, I've fished up a storm in various JRPGs over the years, etc... maybe I'm just not as young as I used to be?)
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO it's far worse farming bosses for leads in IC/sewers than fishing :s

Going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I would rather farm for leads at the dentist office than fish. So painful. At least IC leads are combat.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arena25 wrote: »

"Netflix and Fish"

It took 6 episodes of Star Trek to get both fishing leads for my Stranglers. The pain can be mitigated, but I would still rather do almost anything (like watch Star Trek with both eyes). You are barely playing the game at that point.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Antiquities are supposed to be a long term thing. Not like the Psjic or Mage guild quest line. I don't get the complaints about the difficulty. I do get the complaints about the bugs, but honestly these things aren't supposed to be done in a week or weekend.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NoXHealeR wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion here:
    All antiquities should be obainable by digging up antiquities - without grinding dragons, treasure chests, fishing, bosses etc

The whole point is to get players back on content they may not have done for a while. MMO's need new content and players repeating content to survive. Antiquities was designed to provide both.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind them putting leads into all activities as it gives us another reason to do them. That said, I do wishing fishing was more like fishing in Red Dead, it's an active activity that was rewarding for the time spent.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know I usually enjoy mini games within a game (e.g. cards in FF8/9, Blitzball in FF10, Gwent in Witcher 3, etc.) But I find them incredibly boring in ESO.
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed fishing in Summerset or Artaeum for a bit (when I was looking for the motifs), but its not very rewarding anywhere else. They definitely should spice it up with an improved system and decent rewards!
  • Shinozuka
    Shinozuka
    ✭✭✭
    They should add a Fishing DLC (like 5 dollars) withan area you go to to fish that has contests and prizes. And maybe fish bosses you can fight.

Make fishing worth while. I would also support an AFK fishing mode like BDO.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Master Angler is the reason why I haven't platinum the game. It's that boring.

And yes, I've gotten emperor already.
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How hard is it to add more fish and achievements. There is literally no new animation required. Just adding new achievements/titles and a static graphic of the new fish.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Easy improvement take the mind numbing out remove fishing holes make it so like scrying eye its just a slottable tool(walk up to fishable water press a key put down controller,keyboard etc and go play a better fishing game) and allow us to endlessly auto fish afk. Come back in a few hours fillet your pile of disappointing rng open you gunny sacks etc and rinse and repeat...
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hamgatan wrote: »
    Shantu wrote: »
    Ok...maybe not. But dear lord...hour after hour of staring at the screen pushing the same key/button every few seconds with nothing but a bunch of fish you can filet by staring at the screen and pushing a key/button every few seconds. It's just cruel and inhumane. In addition to "Stormproof", they should add the title "Fishproof" for anyone who can sit through hours of such mindless mundanity. :/

Votans Fisherman, Right Click, Fillet All Stacks, Walk away and grab a coffee..

Unfortunately the solution to everything is not add-ons, as two of the environments don't even allow them. So really it's not a great solution.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the antiquities system is that many antiquities require doing things long-time players finished long ago. The antiquities system is great for new players who didn't kill all the bosses in every public dungeon long ago. But returning there just to grind antiquities is really unsatisfying.

So my feeling is that the system is brilliant for newer players, but a distraction and a chore for players who have been here longer. Of course, as with any grindy system, it is less of a problem for people who have 3 hours a day to burn on ESO.
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am positive they do not hate you. They do forget before they do things to ask themselves, is this fun?
  • nk125x
    nk125x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter any more, the stranglers are rubbish now
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should be able to catch monsters when your fishing. Some of them could be big and nasty. That would shake things up.
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many fishing leads are there? I know of the one in Stros M'kai but there are more? I need to google, there's bound to be a list of them all somewhere :/
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many fishing leads are there? I know of the one in Stros M'kai but there are more? I need to google, there's bound to be a list of them all somewhere :/

One furniture lead in Clockwork City. Took me about 45 attempts (must be about 15 to 20 minutes?) just a few days ago.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least leads are shared between all characters on your account. Can you imagine the grind if they were not?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i do have to admit, it is Horrible to be forced like this.

IMHO it's far worse farming bosses for leads in IC/sewers than fishing :s

and yes that also.

Edited by Gilvoth on August 21, 2020 4:35PM
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that fishing is most tedious, mundane, monotonous, humdrum, tiring, dull, lifeless, tiresome activity in the game.

If nothing maybe in future they could add that you need to reel in fish or something, there are ideas out there.

Also, they could add better looking fishing poles in game, as a reward for some milestones or achievements, not to carry that bamboo stick all the time like level 1 peasant.
    Also, better fishing poles could get improved stats, like 10% better rare fish drop or whatever drops there, then tier2 even fancier look with 15%. Nothing OP but still to promote the activity.

I never fish and I agree with OP, I'm not able to stand in one place pressing "E" for like 10 minutes, not to mention hours.

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RefLiberty wrote: »
    Also, they could add better looking fishing poles in game, as a reward for some milestones or achievements, not to carry that bamboo stick all the time like level 1 peasant.

Bamboo was the traditional material in Asia, hazel or willow wood in Europe. Most other woods aren't flexible enough and would probably break.
    RefLiberty wrote: »
    I agree that fishing is most tedious, mundane, monotonous, humdrum, tiring, dull, lifeless, tiresome activity in the game.

It's bearable if you listen to music or read something on the side. Of course it'd be better if game content would be interesting instead of just bearable ;)
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire