The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

About the Heavy armor magicka sorcerer option?

aenax
aenax
✭✭✭
Well at first it may look totally silly because light armor provide lot of bonuses for magicka users. But i saw some video on the internet about such a build with a lot of health regen, i guess that the magicka regen comes from sorcerer abilities.

Is it really a viable option?
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aenax wrote: »
    Well at first it may look totally silly because light armor provide lot of bonuses for magicka users. But i saw some video on the internet about such a build with a lot of health regen, i guess that the magicka regen comes from sorcerer abilities.

Is it really a viable option?

lol, theres that "v" word again. Of course it is!!! There is a build out there that EXCELS at heavy attack damage, go look it up. I wont link it here to save the trail of haters that would follow....but yes, you can do it and many have and still do.
    Edited by Joxer61 on May 29, 2020 7:05AM
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m assuming you’re asking in the context of PVP. Heavy armor (for the hefty resists) is a staple choice in PvP for sure.

Basically if you’re a mag character in heavy armor your mag sustain would need to come from your food, your glyphs (mag regen on jewelry), your pots, your sets (armor like Sedeucers which reduces skill costs), your mundus, and of course the inexplicably dreaded heavy attack.

Which if you’re a Sorc, given that you excel at physical and shock damage, makes Lightning staves very attractive; the channeled heavy attack is very easy to connect and fully charge since once it’s connected to a target it doesn’t matter how much that target hops around like a deranged bunny rabbit; that heavy will complete so long as the target doesn’t move out of range. Plus, given that it’s shock damage, every tick of the heavy has a strong chance of proccing concussion - which in turn means minor vulnerability. With that setup you won’t be a burst build but you will be a sustained (and survivable!) pressure build.

If you opt for the flame staff for the buff to single target, you might still need to throw in the occasional heavy for sustain. That and/or put mag recovery glyphs on your staff/staves. Which also works well but you’ll need to keep a closer eye on your mag pool.

Personally, I run light armor in Cyrodiil. But that armor is Fortified Brass (for the resists). My sustain comes from the fact that I’m a Breton and I heavy attack a lot. I could also use recovery food like Witchmother’s...but since I don’t generally struggle with sustain I stay with the same blue max mag/max health food I use in PVE.

YMMV.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are tons of viable heavy armor PVP sorc builds out there. For PVE there is the the one-bar sorc build which uses Necro + Plague Doctor. Its great for solo stuff, primarily VMA, but its not a DPS machine like other light-armor PVE builds are.