Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Swap Perfected Bonus on vMA Staff and Bow Please

WrathOfInnos
WrathOfInnos
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The new vMA perfected Destruction Staff and Bow are very interesting ideas. However I think the stat chosen for each perfected bonus is not ideal, and in the case of the staff I’d say not even beneficial.

Destruction Staff: Received 1190 Spell Penetration. This is exclusively a PVE weapon, and Spell Pen is not needed in PVE since Light Armor and group debuffs already allow reaching the cap with minimal investment in Spell Erosion. Additionally, this weapon is always used on the back bar (since it has to be with Wall, and Wall is the only way to reliably proc back bar enchants), so the extra Spell Pen will only be active on back bar. Since Spell Pen is built to reach the target 18.2k on front bar, this means Spell Pen on back bar will be at 19.4k, which has 0 impact on damage and is completely wasted.

Instead the destruction staff would benefit from a Spell Crit bonus, because many front bar sets or the Precise weapon trait give more Spell Crit on front bar than back. Having one extra set bonus of Spell Crit back bar would reduce the “bounce” of this stat when swapping bars and make it slightly worthwhile to pursue this new weapon. I’d like to see the standard set bonus of 833 Spell Crit, not sure why these Perfected bonuses are only giving about 80% of the standard set bonus.

The Maelstrom Bow I feel less strongly about, since Weapon Crit is a decent choice for its bonus (front bar crit is typically higher than back bar on stam builds, due to daggers, sets, and sometimes precise). However if the idea is to have one Maesltrom weapon give crit and the other give Pen, this would be the better choice for Physical Pen. Stamina builds do not get any Penetration from Medium Armor passives, so they often use the Sharpened trait on front bar (and sometimes sets like Tzogvins which loses its 4pc Physical Pen while on back bar). This means back bar Pen is lower (since bow is best as infused, with Berserker enchant procced by Endless Hail) and would benefit from 1487 Physical Pen as the Perfected bonus on the Maelstrom bow (again not sure where 1190 came from, can these just be a standard set bonus?).

Thanks for reading, I hope you’ll consider this request :)
Edited by WrathOfInnos on April 20, 2020 8:58PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% agree, otherwise new VMA staff won't be worth farming.
  • NTclaymore
    NTclaymore
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is true that the Perfected Destruction Staff is not worth farming. Spell Pen on the backbar is NOT useful for when calculating what Pen you need for your build. Therefore it will go ignored and makes the regular staff just as useful.
    (I know nothing of Stam so wont comment on it)
    He spoke, the son of Padomay, and nodded his head with the dark brows
    and the imortally anointed hair of the great god
    swept from his divine head, and all Mundus was shaken.
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weapon/Spell Damage would be better, coz for your back bar single target dots.
    Edited by Sun7dance on April 20, 2020 9:03PM
    PS5|EU
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Was thinking the same when I read the notes, no point in farming a new perfected staff just for that penetration.
    EU PC
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just lazy from them, instead of making unique buffs , they just slap on stat bonuses that are useful on the bar they are equip on.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree.
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% agree. There's no point doing the arena on veteran because the added bonus is completely useless in PVE which means the incentive is completely gone.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After thinking about it some more. I believe Max Magicka might be a better choice for the Perfected Maelstrom Destruction Staff. 1096 or even 1644 Max Mag on back bar would add a small amount of damage, but more importantly it would reduce the annoying “resource bounce” experienced when bar swapping between front bar (which typically has more set bonuses and 1-3 Mage’s Guild skills) and back bar.

Either this or Spell Crit would be fine, since both stats have a large discrepancy between front and back bar on Magicka builds (although Spell Crit might be better on the Master or Asylum Staves). Just please not Spell Penetration :/

This resource bounce is not an issue on Stamina builds, since the equivalent guild skill line (Fighters) does not give max stamina as a passive, it gives weapon damage. Typical stamina front bar sets like Lokkestiiz, Advancing Yokeda and Tzogvin’s do not have Max Stamina on the 4 or 5 piece bonus, so there is no change when bar swapping. Therefore something like Weapon Crit or Physical Penetration remains the best option for the Perfected Maelstrom Bow.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on April 21, 2020 4:50PM
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Backbar stats are a complete waste, at least I wont find the urge to farm them at all. That will save me hours of grinding, thank's Devs.
    Edited by Austinseph1 on April 21, 2020 6:37PM
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They just should put more thought into it, and make stats apply across bar swaps with something like "while the effect is active..." or what have you. That'd make those weapons universal.
  • The_Auror
    The_Auror
    ✭✭✭
    Backbar stats are a complete waste, at least I wont find the urge to farm them at all. That will save me hours of grinding, thank's Devs.

Agree 100%, this is a huge win. The last thing I want to do is regrind horrible 5 year old content when something new just dropped. Who wants to overpen on back bar lol
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously this needs more attention, so I bump
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with OP.
    [Snip]

[Edited for bait]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on May 14, 2020 2:20PM
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's hard to imagine why anyone would think putting a useless stat on a back bar weapon and calling it "Perfected" is a good idea. It gives the impression of just throwing stats and ideas around with little to no thought behind it. Very odd.

The good news is there's zero reason to put up with that awful grind.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd rather have 4% magicka cost reduction, but that probably isn't on the table...
    Playing since beta...
  • xAk_MoRRoWiNdx
    xAk_MoRRoWiNdx
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds reasonable to me! Seeing an above comment about adding W/S Damage instead is also an idea I'd consider
    New to forums and stuff so I 99.9 percent probably won't see your response and such, so use the at symbol at me I guess? IDK :/. This BBCode stuff is really cool!! :D.
    Gamer from Alaska (907 Gamers, Alaskan Gamers Unite!).
    My little rant I guess?:
      One day Nightblades will get the buffs we desperately need and deserve, but so far, those buffs are not today.. The Elder Scrolls Online: Nightblade Nerfs Unlimited.
      Don't nerf you, don't nerf me, nerf the sorc behind the tree!.

If you need help or advice, hit me up on Xbox: H4rry Poggers :D .
      Also open to talking on Discord!

Ich kann Deutsch Sprechen bei der mittleren/zwischen Kenntnissen Ebene. Hallo! :D.

CP level 1000+! Playing since 2015.

My wishlist I suppose:
      • PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEAAASSSEEE EITHER BUFF SIPHONING STRIKES OR REVERT IT BACK TO PRE MORROWIND!!.
      • Bring back purge cloak. But I guess the new heal cloak is more beneficial. Hmmm....
      • MAKE IMPERIAL CITY GREAT AGAIN, BRING BACK THOSE INCREDIBLE DAYS. My best experiences in ESO where in there!
      • Return Stam builds to the power we held in One Tamriel. Long Live Stamina builds!
      • Put Magplar and MagDK into their place. Magpsorc is a hopeless case.
      • Is there any chance that we could get an Ebonheart Pact nerf? #CullingTheHerds .

My 10 characters:
      • AD - xak-Morrowindx - Khajiit Stamina Nightblade. Hours: 107 days, 19 hours (2,568 hours).
      • EP - Ich bin Groot - Orc Stamina Dragonknight. Hours: 2 days, 16 hours (64 hours).
      • DC - Who Took My Bleach - Orc Stamina Sorcerer. Hours: 3 days, 18 hours. (90 hours).
      • EP - Niada Zaennon - High Elf Magicka Nightblade. Hours: 15 days, 18 hours (378 hours).
      • AD - Healsyournoobazzwithmemes - Argonian Magicka Templar. Hours: 1 day, 9 hours (33 hours)
      • DC - Engulfing Traps - Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight. Hours: 7 days, 17 hours (129 hours).
      • AD - Verführung - High Elf Magicka Sorcerer. Hours: 5 days, 9 hours (129 hours)
      • DC - Deadazz catch these birds - Nord Stamina Warden. Hours: 6 days, 21 hours (165 hours)
      • EP - So Bendy - Wood Elf Stamina Templar. Hours: 1 day, 15 hours (39 hours)
      • EP - Smash that mf Like button - Breton Magicka Warden. Hours: 20 hours, 20 minutes.

Aldmeri Dominion Master-Faction!
    • Kolzki
      Kolzki
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I still don’t understand why the stat bonuses on ability altering weapons are worse than those for base game monster sets or 4 piece set bonuses.

We can balance out front/back bar penetration a little more when running a vMA staff with new moon on front bar. We still have uneven stats though because of some weird logic that perfected weapons should have 20% worse stats than everything else in the game.
    • Stealthk80
      Stealthk80
      ✭✭
      [Snip] fully agree spell pen I'd useless

[Edited for bumping]
      Edited by ZOS_Volpe on June 20, 2020 7:53PM
    • Jodynn
      Jodynn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Spell pen is pretty useless, Max Magicka would be preferred followed by Spell Crit for me..

However, to make the stat bonus useful even with spell pen ( you could not spec any in spell erosion in this case ) is to make it give you the bonus as long as wall is active; however, I doubt they'll do anything that i quite *that* nice.
      Jodynn PC NA
      PvE and PvP MagDK
      The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.