Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Have you seen the steam charts lately?

relentless_turnip
relentless_turnip
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
ESO is up to 17,572 players in the last month!!!

This is nearly as many for the launch of Elsweyr... Imagine how busy it will be when Greymoor drops 😂

https://steamcharts.com/app/306130
  • Saelent
    Saelent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the last ones stay? Will these stay?
    Options
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone's at home due to a worldwide pandemic.
    Only natural all games will see a influx of players.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Saelent wrote: »

Who cares, I just hope they buy something so ZoS has the cash to fix the servers.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    PRX and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Judging by the past figures(in the link) some leave, a large majority stay as population growth is greater every year.
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Who cares, I just hope they buy something so ZoS has the cash to fix the servers.

😂 Yup...
    Options
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the peak no of players of the right..
    Options
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's half that. Most of the numbers are duplicated by people trying to log in
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Check out the peak no of players of the right..

Jesus!!! I didn't even notice that, that's the most there have ever been according to Steam.
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    It's half that. Most of the numbers are duplicated by people trying to log in

I'm not sure that's correct... how do you know that's how it works?
    Options
  • Saelent
    Saelent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »

Oh, they'll get the cash. But you're kidding yourself if you think ZOS will use the cash to fix their servers.

I'm quite sure a lot of it is invested into FO76 :lol:

That would be unfortunate and is probably the case...something has to keep that fire pit going.
    Options
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So where's all the usual sycophants insisting the steam numbers are completely irrelevant and in no way represent the overall population of the game across all platforms? Huh, funny that.

Oh right...different narrative this time. So which one is it???
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ri_Khan wrote: »
    So where's all the usual sycophants insisting the steam numbers are completely irrelevant and in no way represent the overall population of the game across all platforms? Huh, funny that.

:lol: You are right.
    If I had in anyway stated that ESO is popular and provided this link as evidence I would have been told I was an idiot and the game is dying!

Some people seem to be confused at how statistics are formed...
    Options
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol where's the narrative? More people are home, they're bored, the game is/was temporarily free to try out, and there's an event on. Perfect storm of "C'mon people, get in here!"
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That works both ways. Where are the doomsayers who said the game was dying and that the falling Steam figures proved it because they represented the overall population of the game across all platforms? Huh, funny that :wink: !

The reality is that the Steam figures are just that, representative of how well the game is doing on Steam. When the Steam figures fell they did so pretty much within normal seasonal/cyclical parameters, but the rise in the current figures exceeds any previous variations by a country mile.

I wouldn't claim they are representative of the game as a whole, consistent with my view when the Steam figures were low, but they are very positive nonetheless. Equally, they reflect the reality so far as performance is concerned, because those figures wouldn't be sustained if the problems some are experiencing were more widely experienced.
    Options
  • Seperatist
    Seperatist
    ✭✭✭
    Probably some of them sitting in launcher trying to get their game to run, don't forget steam counts launcher online hours so
    Immoltal ledeemel, (un)chained, Gryphon Fat, Thicc Tocc Tolmenter, Grand overbruhlord, Kekslayer. "You know you don't have to be here right"
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

That works both ways. Where are the doomsayers who said the game was dying and that the falling Steam figures proved it because they represented the overall population of the game across all platforms? Huh, funny that :wink: !

The reality is that the Steam figures are just that, representative of how well the game is doing on Steam. When the Steam figures fell they did so pretty much within normal seasonal/cyclical parameters, but the rise in the current figures exceeds any previous variations by a country mile.

I wouldn't claim they are representative of the game as a whole, consistent with my view when the Steam figures were low, but they are very positive nonetheless. Equally, they reflect the reality so far as performance is concerned, because those figures wouldn't be sustained if the problems some are experiencing were more widely experienced.

You are right, it is literally representative of how well the game is doing on steam.
    It shouldn't be dismissed as representative as the game performance overall though.
    Regardless of what point it is used to utilised to emphasise.

Statistics are formed using a portion of an overall population after all and they can never be perfect. If anything taking the statistics from one platform removes the biased of how the statistic was formed. i.e. if everyone on the forums were asked what they thought of ESO, the overall statistic would be bad. Vice versa there are plenty of places you could survey and get a very positive answer.
    Options
  • Caelc
    Caelc
    ✭✭✭

This is nearly as many for the launch of Elsweyr... Imagine how busy it will be when Greymoor drops 😂

it happens during events then drops
    Options
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Contrary to other posts, this one didn't try to spin the Steam charts into a narrative about the whole game. They said "it's doing well on Steam".

---
    Together with Corona, we also had a free weekend. So many people who had too much time on their hands could check out the game for free.
    Options
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Caelc wrote: »

it happens during events then drops

Yes, but more so than it ever has done before is my point :smiley:
    Edited by relentless_turnip on April 7, 2020 1:49PM
    Options
  • Czekoludek
    Czekoludek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have cumulation of free ESO event, coronavirus because of which ppl stays at homes (basically all bigger games reach their records during this time or they are close to they all time peak). I'm more interesting to see if bad game performance will draw away new ppl or not.
    Steam numbers now might looks promising but like i said, it is a specific situation. Hard to believe for me that game is in healthy state, especially when you see twitch statistics for biggest streams (announcements) of ESO:

Morrowind:
    278,228 viewers/hour
    Total unique viewers: 250,405

Summerset:
    237,047 viewers/hour
    Total unique viewers: 161,982

Elsweyr:
    498,343 viewers/hour
    Total unique viewers: 1,204,328 (!!!)

Greymoor:
    130,898 viewers/hour
    Total unique viewers: 259,614

All of this data are available for everyone. Mind that Morrowind and Summerset streams were less then one hour long, while Elsweyr and Greymoor were more then 2 hours long each (so they should generate more unique viewers).
    As you can see Year of the Dragon was a big oopsie for ZOS (stupid combat changes provided by new, not so great team, performance and overall overmonetization). During Elsweyr we also got a lot of fresh blood but game failed at keeping most of them.
    This year will be huge test for ZOS and in my opinion will shape the future of this game (they will go into full milking cow mode or they will invest more money for better profit). Unfortunately right now many ppl thinks that they are choosing first path (including me) and see the future of ESO in not so bright light
    Options
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's also because of the event. Lots of people only log in to hoard stuff as loot lammas they are then stop playing again until the next event. Usually my ping is less than 100 but during events always 100+
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
    Options
  • The_Old_Goat
    The_Old_Goat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignoring the steam charts for a minute, I've noticed a lot more applicants to the guild that I'm an officer in as well as the dungeon finder glitching out more often from the burden of all the extra players. Love having them here but I feel it's really stressing the game out.
    Options
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignoring the steam charts for a minute, I've noticed a lot more applicants to the guild that I'm an officer in as well as the dungeon finder glitching out more often from the burden of all the extra players. Love having them here but I feel it's really stressing the game out.

yep, also mobs in dungeons once again start moving back and forth while standing in place. Really shows the game's limits, lol. Maybe some people want the game to be more popular (meaning more played, more active group content run) but it kinda reaches its limit at this point.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
    Options
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steam numbers are a horrible metric since the majority of PC owners avoid it due to all the issues with ESO and steam (are there still problems?).

Joined September 2013
    Options
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Czekoludek wrote: »
    We have cumulation of free ESO event, coronavirus because of which ppl stays at homes (basically all bigger games reach their records during this time or they are close to they all time peak). I'm more interesting to see if bad game performance will draw away new ppl or not.
    Steam numbers now might looks promising but like i said, it is a specific situation. Hard to believe for me that game is in healthy state, especially when you see twitch statistics for biggest streams (announcements) of ESO:

Morrowind:
    278,228 viewers/hour
    Total unique viewers: 250,405

Summerset:
    237,047 viewers/hour
    Total unique viewers: 161,982

Elsweyr:
    498,343 viewers/hour
    Total unique viewers: 1,204,328 (!!!)

Greymoor:
    130,898 viewers/hour
    Total unique viewers: 259,614

All of this data are available for everyone. Mind that Morrowind and Summerset streams were less then one hour long, while Elsweyr and Greymoor were more then 2 hours long each (so they should generate more unique viewers).
    As you can see Year of the Dragon was a big oopsie for ZOS (stupid combat changes provided by new, not so great team, performance and overall overmonetization). During Elsweyr we also got a lot of fresh blood but game failed at keeping most of them.
    This year will be huge test for ZOS and in my opinion will shape the future of this game (they will go into full milking cow mode or they will invest more money for better profit). Unfortunately right now many ppl thinks that they are choosing first path (including me) and see the future of ESO in not so bright light

^^^^^
    Also the state of the game (balance, performance, fluidity of gameplay) is at an all-time low alongside very little communication from ZOS.

Ofc we all hope things will improve. The question is, how long does it take until it is naive to still believe this game will become at least as stable as pre-Morrowind?
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If OP looks at April 2019, it shows over 16k for that month. There is a boost during that time. Considering Steam charts show an increase for every month year over year except for three months last year it is not surprising to see 17k.
    Options
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's FREE week or whatever of ESO, so it's normal that more people are trying out the game.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
    Options
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

ZoS alreasy has more than enough millions to fix the servers. And they don't.
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you think that pvp performance has any impact on the health of the game, then you are on the wrong path. i guess that just 1 out 20 new players has as his goal to mainly do pvp, and eventually 1 out of 5 is considering to try it. But the vast majority is not effected by these performance issues and might not even recognize it at all, if they don't read the forum.

From what I can see in normal overland zones the game is more than just healthy, it thrives despite it's problems with pvp and group content. The amount of players who are soloing or just having some fun with a couple of friends is far greater than those being effected by these performance issues IMO. For most the game is not broken at all - but runs pretty well.
    Edited by Lysette on April 8, 2020 7:15AM
    Options
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here's Black Desert Online's steam chart. Up by 11k YoY with an average 24k in March. Majority won't stay in neither of the two.

https://steamcharts.com/app/582660
    Options