The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do older outfits need a touch up?

NoodleESO
NoodleESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Do you think older outfits and motifs could use a touch up? The newer motifs always look amazing and they get better each year but older outfits like the lion guard costume has not aged well and have become a bit of an eye sore.

Instead of reskinning mounts perhaps Zos should go back and update these things to make the game look and feel more polished.

Do older outfits need a touch up? 119 votes

Yes update the older stuff
76%
vailjohn_ESOCaligamy_ESOBowserOziumxaraanScardyFoxAlienSloftonne.backlinderb16_ESOBleakravenMalmaiYukon2112FeannagKhrogoTanis-StormbinderIdinuseElsonsoTwilix01VexariusStreegaCaffeinatedMayhem 91 votes
No don’t update
19%
Stxhaploeb14_ESOAelorinDanikatNanfoodleidkredspecter23Athrys5RaddlemanNumber7PuzzlenutsLioraValkyrieMaisonNaeviusJayJayIsSoJayHamish999Prax3descolossalvoidsNairinheTaunkyStarlockspartaxoxo 23 votes
Other
4%
Olauronnewtinmplspod88kkCrypticalSylvermynx 5 votes
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The older stuff does still hold up well. But many styles could and should get a bit of a cleaning and touch up to hold its own against the newer crisper styles.

More so if you like to mix and match styles and the detail and quality becomes more visible. But this is more QoL and subjective.
    Edited by StormeReigns on April 6, 2020 5:46PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No don’t update
    No. They will just add more of the stupid tassle waist things to styles that don't have them or make them dye like garbage.

Older and newer stuff both have their advantages.
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they did this people would complain as they bought the old version.
    People would say ZOS is ruining what they previously bought and would demand a refund.

ZOS said they wouldn't do this due to the backlash that occurred after they updated the redguard motif years ago.
    Edited by CyberOnEso on April 6, 2020 6:10PM
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No don’t update
    No. If they change anything about old outfits or styles, it will be considered a negative change to at least some portion of the playerbase. It's better just to add new styles and costumes and maintain the old ones. That way everyone is happy.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Old outfits (motifs) should not be changed, but updating texture resolution would be good. I would use Ancient Elf (for example) much more, alas it looks blurry now.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No don’t update
    Old motifs will be revamped anyway (as separate pages)as far as i remember, there were shots from pre pts even.
    Edited by colossalvoids on April 6, 2020 6:38PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CyberOnEso wrote: »
    If they did this people would complain as they bought the old version.
    People would say ZOS is ruining what they previously bought and would demand a refund.

ZOS said they wouldn't do this due to the backlash that occurred after they updated the redguard motif years ago.

But, they didn't just update the Redguard Motif, they changed it entirely.

Making something graphically sharper and perhaps, also, better fitting to each char's individual build and shape, is not the same as changing necklines, or adding, or removing, style features.

Some of the outfits and costumes totally change the shape of female chars.

For example, by making the breasts larger and pinching in the waist, in the case of costumes that show the midriff.

Seeing as there can be no corsetting and there isn't an overly padded bra involved as far as we know(!), that shouldn't happen.

Or, conversely (but, equally bizarrely), increasing the size of the waist, rather than reducing it slightly, in the case of some corsetted styles.

To the point where I ended up making my char's waist slightly smaller than I wanted it, to make these corsetted styles (which she wore a lot, especially while levelling) look OK.

Also, many longer top styles, as well as (sometimes) over-emphasising breast size, also assume your char has either the maximum butt size, or perhaps the typical butt size for her top half and so, protrude unnaturally, if she has a smaller behind.

A few small tweaks to ensure they all fit and/or represent every char's shape properly would help a lot.
    Edited by Tigerseye on April 6, 2020 6:41PM
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    Old outfits (motifs) should not be changed, but updating texture resolution would be good. I would use Ancient Elf (for example) much more, alas it looks blurry now.

This is what I assumed the OP was about.

Its awful to mix new and old motifs because of the texture resolution difference.
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen some of old shoes? Flat feet, weird texture... I've seen better models in Morrowind single player (maybe with worse textures but way better models).
  • Taunky
    Taunky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No don’t update
    Stop giving them more Crown Store suggestions, we've got bigger things to worry about.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No don’t update
    I'd be very wary of making any changes to things players have already bought, because even if technically it's an improvement it will probably look worse to some people and it would be a real shame to have something you previously liked and used ruined by a "fix".

For example I usually turn antialiasing off in games because I find it makes things look blurry, and I usually avoid the FX mods which other people recommend because to me it just looks like someone has ramped up the brightness and contrast until everything looks horribly artificial. If someone who liked those effects 'improved' any of the older outfits or motifs I'm using chances are I'd have to go and find something else to use instead. If it's anything I bought from the crown store I'd be asking for a refund.

I have no idea what the OP has in mind as a 'touch up' but without knowing that I'd prefer to just stick with what we've got, even if it does look older. At least that way you know what you paid for and how it looks instead of having it changed after you've already paid.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Careful what you wish for. With most games I would say yes. However this is ZOS......

When they “touch up” on balancing, it’s with a sledgehammer-style buff/nerf. In the context of outfits, a touch up might include a significant redesign which is not what anyone wants and would lead to a lot of complaints.
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said yes, buuut, of course its tentative, yes, being able to dye stuff better would be nice, removal of hipshields which makes people create anorexic looking chars to get make them look less unbalanced. On the other hand, some bought them for the exact look they HAVE :/

It's a tough one, but I'd at least remove the worst of the hipshields, and make them more receptible to dye..
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No don’t update
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Careful what you wish for. With most games I would say yes. However this is ZOS......

When they “touch up” on balancing, it’s with a sledgehammer-style buff/nerf. In the context of outfits, a touch up might include a significant redesign which is not what anyone wants and would lead to a lot of complaints.

Zos has touched up some of the older motifs. Changes that lead to threads asking for returning the motif to its original design. It is not always better.

Basically, you are correct. Be careful what you ask for. Just might get it and regret it.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like ZOS is doing exactly that. There are more polished versions of the basegame High Elf and Nord Style in Greymoor as loot for the archeology thing that's coming. They are counted as separate motifs, so the old ones are not going away, which is great for the people that prefer the old look. But I gotta say, the new one looks pretty good.
    I sure hope they will add more motifs over time. The Dunmer style needs a serious polish. That heavy helmet just looks silly and nothing like the concept art.

0e67624252553ed196.jpg
    Edited by Ratzkifal on April 6, 2020 10:44PM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    It looks like ZOS is doing exactly that. There are more polished versions of the basegame High Elf and Nord Style in Greymoor as loot for the archeology thing that's coming. They are counted as separate motifs, so the old ones are not going away, which is great for the people that prefer the old look. But I gotta say, the new one looks pretty good.

Those are the tier 5 motifs of the racial styles, they already exist in game you could just never use them as an outfit, but you can find them occasionally. I do really hope they add them to the outfit system with Greymoor!

@CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say some older motifs definitely could use some better textures on them, such as the Dwemer motif, shown here with a newer Engine Guardian Outfit Style quiver:
    SkhiOQe.png
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyberOnEso wrote: »
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

Those are the tier 5 motifs of the racial styles, they already exist in game you could just never use them as an outfit, but you can find them occasionally. I do really hope they add them to the outfit system with Greymoor!

Yes and no. The tier 5 motifs only had weapons, specifically the style of the master weapons, but they had no armor. They are adding armor to the existing weapons and call them "Ancestral X motif"
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No don’t update
    If they're going to "touch up" (bad way of phrasing it, IMHO) anything, it makes a lot more sense to prioritize the base game zones. Granted, that would also be a lot more work, but also a lot more value.
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say just a texture update is needed but I do want to hear what other people think, I would like to see the original motif to look more like their concept art though, now that its possible.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some of the early female costumes need to be reworked. Spoiler ed the pictures so doesn't take up to much space. These are outfits that were not done very well at least when it comes to how they were shaped/ When worn it makes the character model look as if they have major bodily infections and have not died from the infection yet or their stomach/intestinal region looks closer to being skeletal as if your starving yourself and basically bones so to speak. So more unhealthy and unrealistic proportions that look like your in poor health. That is why I'm calling out the following that should be revamped because of this. That way they look decent and not like your going to die or could die soon when wearing them.

Noble dress- The stomach area it way to squeezed as if your missing a of mass there. Its so very tight to where its constricting and that is way to skinny in the intestinal region. As if you went a few weeks with very little food just so you could look very skinny as suffering from anorexia. That is what I really dislike about this outfit and turns me off from wanting to even wear it on my characters. I do love the look of the noble suit outfit. Its unisex enough so either gender can wear it and not stand out and it does look nice on both genders.
    600px-ON-costume-Noble_Dress_%28female%29.jpg

Sand-Kissed Salwar Ensemble
    It feels exaggerated with the body proportions as if your legs and chest regions swelled up like a balloon. As if having a massive infection or something.
    600px-ON-costume-Sand-Kissed_Salwar_Ensemble_%28Female%29.jpg

Whisperweft Gala Wear
    This one has the same issues as the Sand-kissed and its just bad because looks like your legs and chest area are swelled up like a balloon.
    600px-ON-costume-Whisperweft_Gala_Wear_%28Female%29.jpg

I think its because they used the male skeletal model for these outfits and that could be the reason why they don't look so great. These older costumes a lot of the issues could be fixed if they used the female skeletal model for the costumes instead of the male skeletal model.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on April 7, 2020 12:27AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I said yes, buuut, of course its tentative, yes, being able to dye stuff better would be nice, removal of hipshields which makes people create anorexic looking chars to get make them look less unbalanced. [. . .]

Oh, is THAT why people make such unnaturally thin characters? I thought it was because of some very warped ideas about body image. Glad to know there's a different reason.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Actually, I make tall thin characters with no boobs as that's the opposite of what I deal with IRL.

As far as the actual question goes, I don't use base game stuff at all. So *shrug* - nope, I don't want the artists wasting time on base game motifs.

But that's just me - if they choose to go there, fine. I still won't use base game motifs.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No don’t update
    I like some of the old stuff. Lion guard scouts costume I got on a simple quest as a reward is one of my favourites. Sai's is right up there for me as well. That's the thing, you may not like it but updating it will wreck it for others.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, some of the old looks pretty lackluster compared to new motivs.

But I still remember well the whining back then they DID update the redguard and orc motivs... so I expect they will not touch that again, and indtead release any "updated" versions of old base styles as entirely new motiv for people to chase... which would have the added benefit of leaving the old available for those who like it.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    To be honest with you I fell like the Dev team should be working more on making this game work well on a basic platform eg XboxOne, PS4 or basic rig while those who have an upgraded system such as an Xbox OneX, PS4+ or amt decent gaming rig should notice a decent upgrade in performance level.

Seriously this game has been out for 6 years now, 5 on consoles, how have they not been able to decide on what type of combat system they want by now? FF7 has been out for 19 years, runs smooth and they've added more servers to account for the added vanilla server volume!!! How do the accounting team not realise that as soon as FF14 comes out there's going to be a mass exodus of players. Not players who are looking forward to a Korean style MMORPG but an exodus of people who are so fed up of the rotten state of performance in ESO at the moment.

As a monthly paying customer I'm honestly looking at lodging a complaint with EU consumer law agencies because it unacceptable right now
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    To be honest with you I fell like the Dev team should be working more on making this game work well on a basic platform eg XboxOne, PS4 or basic rig while those who have an upgraded system such as an Xbox OneX, PS4+ or amt decent gaming rig should notice a decent upgrade in performance level.

Seriously this game has been out for 6 years now, 5 on consoles, how have they not been able to decide on what type of combat system they want by now? FF7 has been out for 19 years, runs smooth and they've added more servers to account for the added vanilla server volume!!! How do the accounting team not realise that as soon as FF14 comes out there's going to be a mass exodus of players. Not players who are looking forward to a Korean style MMORPG but an exodus of people who are so fed up of the rotten state of performance in ESO at the moment.

As a monthly paying customer I'm honestly looking at lodging a complaint with EU consumer law agencies because it unacceptable right now

Dev team and Art team are two separate departments that have different budget funds.
    And FFVII? servers? sorry but FFVII came out on the PS1 in 97. 23years old. No servers - originally had 4 discs.
    Did you mean FFXI? They been reducing and merging servers. Kujata being one of the largest during its prime was the first to be merged into Odin server - and there is no vanilla server for FFXI; and XI still having plenty of issues from 18years ago - you must be thinking of WoW, which is 15years soon to be sweet 16; which has been having it's own issues as well.

FFXIV has been out for a while now just FYI.
    Edited by StormeReigns on April 7, 2020 5:03AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Look at the artwork for the Recent Senche-Rhat mount, and then compare it to the artwork for the Nix hound pet.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Noble dress- The stomach area it way to squeezed as if your missing a of mass there. Its so very tight to where its constricting and that is way to skinny in the intestinal region. As if you went a few weeks with very little food just so you could look very skinny as suffering from anorexia. That is what I really dislike about this outfit and turns me off from wanting to even wear it on my characters. I do love the look of the noble suit outfit. Its unisex enough so either gender can wear it and not stand out and it does look nice on both genders.
    600px-ON-costume-Noble_Dress_%28female%29.jpg
    Well, this is exactly why I am against changing outfits and motifs as only the textures should be upgraded. This noble dress is good as it is. It looks like it should look. There is such a thing as corset and it will change the shape of the body.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No don’t update
    No, they should leave the old ones as they are. I still use some of them.

I would not mind a 2.0 version though, while maintaining the 1.0 version.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.