Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Looking for tips, tricks, HELP in general with 2H

phil.maricel08ub17_ESO
Been at this game for a bit, and desperately wanting to play a stamina class with 2 hand. For the life of me I just cant get the feel for it at all. Day after day swinging, practicing, or at least I think I am, but it still feels awkward as hell. Any vets out here have any tips or suggestions of how you got better? Did something just click one day and you became a 2 hand boss? What am I missing?
  • Daffen
    Daffen
    ✭✭✭✭
    What type of help do you need, just to clarify we need some more important information to help you more effectively. Do you need help in pve/pvp? Do you have trouble light attack weaving? Are there skills you dont know how they work?
    Options
  • phil.maricel08ub17_ESO
    Daffen wrote: »
    What type of help do you need, just to clarify we need some more important information to help you more effectively. Do you need help in pve/pvp? Do you have trouble light attack weaving? Are there skills you dont know how they work?

Really sorry, didn't think about that. Most of my trouble is PvP. I mean trying to line up burst with 2 hand is driving me crazy. I'm sure most will say L2P, which in part may be a little correct, but my main issue is just feel for landing attacks. I mean do you guys disguise skills with light or heavy attacks? Do you step back away from opponents? Maybe I just need to practice more and not get frustrated so easily. I just feel like players are running circles around me while my attacks take forever to land. Others make it look so easy while they are cracking my skull, while I'm like WTF, I can't hit anyone lol.
    Options
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a former staff user the melee classes are taking some getting used to. The staff hit boxes are super forgiving. Anywhere in the area is sufficient. Where with any of the melee builds you have to place the hits properly. Fraction of a cm off and it’s a big whiff which incidentally seems to affect the skill I am weaving after, it won’t fire or fires really late. However when I place the strikes right on the skill fires smoothly.

AOE attacks no problem, it’s the LA and HA whiffs that seem to mess everything up.

Edit: I’m running DW now but was having issues with SnB when I first started with these hit boxes also. DW seems the most forgiving but it’s also the fastest of the the melee attacks.
    Edited by Everest_Lionheart on April 4, 2020 8:12PM
    Options
  • Daffen
    Daffen
    ✭✭✭✭

Really sorry, didn't think about that. Most of my trouble is PvP. I mean trying to line up burst with 2 hand is driving me crazy. I'm sure most will say L2P, which in part may be a little correct, but my main issue is just feel for landing attacks. I mean do you guys disguise skills with light or heavy attacks? Do you step back away from opponents? Maybe I just need to practice more and not get frustrated so easily. I just feel like players are running circles around me while my attacks take forever to land. Others make it look so easy while they are cracking my skull, while I'm like WTF, I can't hit anyone lol.

Best tip i have for becoming a better player is to know how to make and play a build, if you are lower than 810 cp i reccomend playing no cp, look up guides on different builds for your class and learn to play them. After playing for a while you will understand what actions you do based on your playstyle in different situations, when you become better you can start making your own builds based pn how you want to play.

Landing a stun with 2h used to be harder last patch as dizzying swing didnt have a direct stun (had to do a medium/heavy attacl to stun people), but in reality it has become harder to burst people down with dizzying swing than it used to be. The most used combo which is a bit hard to learn but is really effective is: dizzy->medium attack->onslaught/another offensive ultimate->executioner. You always want to light attack weave your abilities to deal most damage.

For starters i reccomend practicing light attack weaving with dizzy swing, start slow. Light attack first then dizzy swing. I usually press my button for dizzy swing once the light attack hits your opponent. (it makes a sound and you can see the numbers) once dizzy swing lands you do another light attack and you repeat the process. Once you have practiced it enough and feel like you got the hang of it you can try heavy attack weaving. Start by using dizzying swing (usually mid battle you would light attack before this but now you are practicing) right after you press dizzy swing (or after a little delay, not sure) start holding down your attack button. You will see that your character will automatically perform a heavy attack after the dizzy swing. As before, you press dizzying swing when your heavy attack hits your target, then you release and press down your attack button again to start your next heavy attack. (if you have problems you can look up tutorials on youtube)

Next step is movement, like you mentioned people were moving around you in circles, this movement makes it so your enemy cant hit you easily as you have experienced first hand. So start circling around the dummy while light attack weaving.

The next three animation canceling methods are a bit easier for some but not sure, they are bar swapping, roll dodge and block canceling. Bar swapping is probably the easiest, do a skill then bar swap straight after. Roll dodge works the same way. Block canceling is when you block after you use an ability, personally i dont use it that much since i rely on roll dodging more than blocking. Once you get more experienced you will use these in different combinations, one i use alot is when i kill an enemy with executioner on my front bar i roll dodge straight away and bar swap right after i casted executioner. This makes it way faster for me to be able to both dodge damage and get ready to cast my vigor which usually is on my backbar or defnsive buffs.

Now to properly execute the combo in complete detail: light attack, dizzy swing right as light attack lands, start holding down your mouse button after pressing dizzying swing (this will charge up your heavy attack) right after your dizzying swing hits your opponent, release your attack key which will make your character do a medium attack (or partially charged heavy attack) then when the attack lands and your opponent is stunned, use onslaught. After onslaughting you have to do a quick check on the persons hp and decide instantly if you are going to do executioner or another dizzying swing (i usually keep a 50% hp threshold for using executioner) light attack then use executioner when light attack lands then instantly roll dodge and bar swap since you probably took some damage doing the combo as well.

And i just want to mention that this combo will not work in greymoor IF the proposed light/heavy attack changes go through, but you have to change the medium attack to a heavy attack.

If you want to see people using 2h then i reccomend watching stamsorc 1vx videos as they will almost only do the combo i explained here while killing multiple people at once.
    Options
  • phil.maricel08ub17_ESO

Best tip i have for becoming a better player is to know how to make and play a build, if you are lower than 810 cp i reccomend playing no cp, look up guides on different builds for your class and learn to play them. After playing for a while you will understand what actions you do based on your playstyle in different situations, when you become better you can start making your own builds based pn how you want to play.

Landing a stun with 2h used to be harder last patch as dizzying swing didnt have a direct stun (had to do a medium/heavy attacl to stun people), but in reality it has become harder to burst people down with dizzying swing than it used to be. The most used combo which is a bit hard to learn but is really effective is: dizzy->medium attack->onslaught/another offensive ultimate->executioner. You always want to light attack weave your abilities to deal most damage.

For starters i reccomend practicing light attack weaving with dizzy swing, start slow. Light attack first then dizzy swing. I usually press my button for dizzy swing once the light attack hits your opponent. (it makes a sound and you can see the numbers) once dizzy swing lands you do another light attack and you repeat the process. Once you have practiced it enough and feel like you got the hang of it you can try heavy attack weaving. Start by using dizzying swing (usually mid battle you would light attack before this but now you are practicing) right after you press dizzy swing (or after a little delay, not sure) start holding down your attack button. You will see that your character will automatically perform a heavy attack after the dizzy swing. As before, you press dizzying swing when your heavy attack hits your target, then you release and press down your attack button again to start your next heavy attack. (if you have problems you can look up tutorials on youtube)

Next step is movement, like you mentioned people were moving around you in circles, this movement makes it so your enemy cant hit you easily as you have experienced first hand. So start circling around the dummy while light attack weaving.

The next three animation canceling methods are a bit easier for some but not sure, they are bar swapping, roll dodge and block canceling. Bar swapping is probably the easiest, do a skill then bar swap straight after. Roll dodge works the same way. Block canceling is when you block after you use an ability, personally i dont use it that much since i rely on roll dodging more than blocking. Once you get more experienced you will use these in different combinations, one i use alot is when i kill an enemy with executioner on my front bar i roll dodge straight away and bar swap right after i casted executioner. This makes it way faster for me to be able to both dodge damage and get ready to cast my vigor which usually is on my backbar or defnsive buffs.

Now to properly execute the combo in complete detail: light attack, dizzy swing right as light attack lands, start holding down your mouse button after pressing dizzying swing (this will charge up your heavy attack) right after your dizzying swing hits your opponent, release your attack key which will make your character do a medium attack (or partially charged heavy attack) then when the attack lands and your opponent is stunned, use onslaught. After onslaughting you have to do a quick check on the persons hp and decide instantly if you are going to do executioner or another dizzying swing (i usually keep a 50% hp threshold for using executioner) light attack then use executioner when light attack lands then instantly roll dodge and bar swap since you probably took some damage doing the combo as well.

And i just want to mention that this combo will not work in greymoor IF the proposed light/heavy attack changes go through, but you have to change the medium attack to a heavy attack.

If you want to see people using 2h then i reccomend watching stamsorc 1vx videos as they will almost only do the combo i explained here while killing multiple people at once.

Thank you so much for your time and input. I really appreciate it for sure. Will get back on the practice dummy and go in until I get a feel for combining and weaving skills!
    Options