The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would these three concepts solve the magicka weapon lack of options? Read description first.

CMDR_Un1k0rn
CMDR_Un1k0rn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I see a lot of people make suggestions for new weapons. And yes, I too would love some, especially melee magicka options.

What I find though is that most of these suggestions fail to cover the real barrier to new weapon lines: Cosmetic crafting styles.

Yes, this is important, and it is a factor ZOS must consider.

So here's my concept.

Four new weapon lines. Yes. Four.

Conjured versions of One Hand and Shield, Two Handed, Dual Wield, and Bow.

The core concept I have here is that these weapons can be crafted, perhaps with a new station? This would be a big move if by some miracle ZOS picks it up, and would be best to introduce with a chapter, I suspect. (Before you @ me, I am not saying it should be behind a paywall, but we must also appreciate that all final decisions are solely for ZOS to make. This poll is simply to see what players think of my hare-brained ideas.)

The big factor is that when crafted, you still need a style material. And no new weapon models would be needed. They all already exist. Maybe just stick a funky glow over them to indicate that they are the conjured version.

No suggestions from me on skills. I'm more concerned about the powering resources: The real factor that determines if they would work. And a bit of fluff lore to explain why they are powered by magicka, even though they are still swords. Just something like "Those trained in the use of conjured arms learn to manifest the arcane in to physical form, and are able to transfer this deadly force to their foes. The weapons they summon may be mighty greatswords in appearance, but make no mistake. These mystic blades are in fact pure conduits of magicka."

In addition, conjured bows could allow for archer gameplay on magicka builds, while conjured shields, along with the paired one handed weapon, could provide a new tanking option that is now powered by magicka. I would also argue that this could allow for a rework on frost staves, by removing their ranged taunt, in favour of a new flavour of damage dealing. In my opinion, this is also significantly more elegant than the common idea of alteration staves. And quite possibly more believable when paired with fluff lore such as that I wrote earlier. (That lore example is conceptual. I am well aware that I am not qualified to publish lore for Elder Scrolls.)

These are my ideas, and I would love to hold a discussion on them. I look forward to hearing from you all.
In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No

Would these three concepts solve the magicka weapon lack of options? Read description first. 35 votes

Yes, I think this is a good concept.
28%
philips666_18b16_ESOVoidCommanderMettaricanaSilverIce58RaptorRodeoGodStarlockOpalbladeArchangelIsraphelCMDR_Un1k0rnNoxavian 10 votes
No, I think this is a bad concept.
60%
idkKnightpantherTheShadowScoutShadow_AkulaSpiderKnightsusmitdsGnortranermaraLadislaoMilitan1404resdayn00krachallHamish999WildRaptorXfierackasLordWenzelworir5PrimusNephilimzvaviIsskanderHvíthákarl 21 votes
Other. (Please give details)
11%
StreegaSigerkDarkenarlolWiseSky 4 votes
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TL;DR : TL;DR
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reading...pff as if
  • byrdmanwes
    byrdmanwes
    ✭✭
    I made a similar suggestion years ago.

My idea was more a single skill line for conjured weapons with a skill you would toggle. While on, it would reverse the scaling and cost of abilities.
    Ex. Snipe costs magicka and scales with spell damage. Or stamina version of wall of elements
    Breton Templar Healer-AD
    Redgaurd Stamina Sorcerer Tank-AD
    Dark elf Magic Dragonknight DPS-AD
    Imperial Dragon knight Tank-EP
    Nord Blazing Shield Templar-DC
    GT: Mr Byrdman86
    CP: 600
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    byrdmanwes wrote: »
    I made a similar suggestion years ago.

My idea was more a single skill line for conjured weapons with a skill you would toggle. While on, it would reverse the scaling and cost of abilities.
    Ex. Snipe costs magicka and scales with spell damage. Or stamina version of wall of elements

I see where you are coming from. Perhaps I have over-complicated things within my ideas, by suggesting entire new skill lines, where instead a simple "toggle" skill would suffice from a mechanical point of view.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Idea man and off hand runes allow use or 1 handed weapon skill minus charge and bash but also allow entire rune skill line skills also having rune skills adapt to type and pairing like ice and sword make a damage shield of ice. But double frost runes be a dps option.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It literally solves nothing.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the votes guys.

I had a feeling the poll might turn out this way, however, I still felt compelled to ask.

Stay safe all.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could solve the lack of variety by making Lightning and Frost staves damage weapons instead of support weapons. A Shock Damage version of Engulfing Flames would be a good start, allowing Lightning to be competitive with the same 10% damage boost (I would add this debuff to Sorcerer’s Lightning Flood/Liquid Lightning). The same could be done for a 10% Frost Damage debuff, possibly added onto the Warden skill Winter’s Revenge. Then all that is needed is a proper damage passive for Ancient Knowledge with a Frost Staff, such as 5-10% Spell Crit. Thats all it would take to have 3 useful Magicka DPS weapon options.

Edit: Also could do a 10% magic damage debuff on Twisting Path, allowing Magblade to finally bring something useful to a group, and possibly make Resto Staff DPS viable.

Edit 2: To be clear, I’m not opposed to the idea of Conjured Weapons, but I’d like to see the existing Magicka weapons fixed before adding more options. It would take minimal time and effort to update them.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on April 3, 2020 4:27PM
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted no but I did read the whole post, there's some inspiration with-in the text. I would simply add a new skill line (Wizard or Warlock maybe) using pure magicka while adding conjuring options to the mix.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am starting to realise that I missed a very important detail.

This poll was made much because of the thoughts I've had as I've read so many posts about a desire for a melee magicka weapon option.

That is why I specifically suggested conjured weapons. Because no matter what, staves are likely always going to be ranged and well, there are a lot of people wanting to use melee range weapons powered by magicka.

I do, to be honest, seriously doubt that ZOS considers a weapon line without an associated craftable item an option.

The problem is that if a crafted item is required by ZOS... Well... Just look at how many styles there are. This is why I believe spears or crossbows will never happen. Hey I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm just looking at how gear is handled in the game, and crafting is a big part of that, even in gear that the player does not craft.

Everything drops in a style.

But then sword and rune would also work, and I do wish we would get it because a melee magicka weapon would be nice in my opinion. A big reason I don't play magicka is because I am not a fan of staves. I've always played Elder Scrolls with a blade or a bow, or a giant shield.

So indeed, there was some self-centred inspiration behind my post. But, well, just a harmless discussion. Worst that can happen is the community disagrees.

I do appreciate all the comments here, other than the "TL;DR" posts at the start. (I mean I fail to see how it was "long", but there you go.)
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a video from when there was a glitch in 2017 where a greatsword’s animation was swapped with a destruction staff. If I could use a greatsword motif and have it deal magic based damage like this, I absolutely would in a heartbeat. I like your idea, although I think there would need to be a way to transmute existing items to become “conjured” versions. Like banishing them to oblivion to be summoned later or something like that.

https://youtu.be/BHascR7JhNk
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a point to that, so it kinda goes back to the discussion of having a wand vs a sword or bow, we could have "styles" of wands then. Personally I think having a character using pure magicka with no weapons would be great, a true Wizard so to speak, the community has been requesting something along this idea for as long as I can remember, guess we'll have to wait and see.
    ~ Cheers
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I_am_Groot wrote: »

There's a point to that, so it kinda goes back to the discussion of having a wand vs a sword or bow, we could have "styles" of wands then. Personally I think having a character using pure magicka with no weapons would be great, a true Wizard so to speak, the community has been requesting something along this idea for as long as I can remember, guess we'll have to wait and see.
    ~ Cheers

There is an issue with that.

Consider just how many models that would need to be made? All unique, due to the differing styles.

that's the problem. There's no issue with the idea of making new weapons with new models. Nobody has a problem with that, or I would hope.

But... Before that can be used by players, it will have to be made. That is the issue.

And going away from that, wands, if you mean like Harry Potter wands, don't strike me as a melee option, hence I referred to conjured weapons as an idea.

Perhaps I should have left bows out to make that point more clear, about where I was getting at with my OP.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah. The correct way to fix the mag weapon shortage is to make the missing mag weapons.

Spellsword (1h+Focus)
    Magicka melee skill line featuring class-based ability variations (similar to elemental variations of destruction skills). Bound Sword could be a spammable that passively changes the off-hand weapon model into a persistent Bound Sword.

Alteration Staff
    Legit tanking staff. A taunt, defensive flesh spells, armor stripping, detection (cloak counter), telekinesis (chains function).

Illusion Staff
    Healer and group support buff staff. Group buffs and debuffs, CC, and stealth options for TG/DB questing (Chameleon as a weaker cloak alternative).

Conjuration Staff
    Universal pet options, Banish (powerful anti-pet spell), maybe one skill with corpse mechanic, Dremora Thrall ulti.

BONUS: Frost rework
    Remove the failed heavy attack taunt experiment.

Every single one of these is absolutely, 100% doable, EASY, creates new options, fills gaps in functionality, and/or removes some inconvenience. Not a single step is difficult. They don't even require new motif models (unlike Spears, Crossbows, and other player requests that would require much more work), just animations. The only reason it hasn't happened is a shortage of creative vision and willpower. The game remains an incomplete, half-finished, pale shadow of Elder Scrolls until players have these build options.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on April 3, 2020 6:43PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm holding out a vain hope that either a magicka/melee weapon will finally get introduced this year... or the game mechanics for resource recovery will simply be changed and not married to weapon type anymore. That recovery is bound to weapon type in general is simply strange.

On PTS right now, they are already making HA/LA scale with your highest resource. If they added the ability to choose what resource your weapon restores on top of that, the problem would basically be solved. When you equip a weapon, there'd be an additional box to check to dictate if it restores magicka or stamina. Staves could restore stamina. Martial weapons could restore magicka. All based on what you, they player, decide that weapon will do.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »
    TL;DR : TL;DR

And their thoughts are poorly organized. That is the bigger issue. Heck, only one "concept" is apparent.

Besides that, Magicka has always had better choices of class skill morphs. That is a big reason stam builds have had to rely more on non-class skills like weapon lines.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me this is another attempt to give magicka characters the stamina based skill lines. I think they should remain separate. If we were limited to only one character then maybe more overlap in skill lines would be good. As is having to make a choice when we create a character is a good thing.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nah. The correct way to fix the mag weapon shortage is to make the missing mag weapons.

Spellsword (1h+Focus)
    Magicka melee skill line featuring class-based ability variations (similar to elemental variations of destruction skills). Bound Sword could be a spammable that passively changes the off-hand weapon model into a persistent Bound Sword.

Alteration Staff
    Legit tanking staff. A taunt, defensive flesh spells, armor stripping, detection (cloak counter), telekinesis (chains function).

Illusion Staff
    Healer and group support buff staff. Group buffs and debuffs, CC, and stealth options for TG/DB questing (Chameleon as a weaker cloak alternative).

Conjuration Staff
    Universal pet options, Banish (powerful anti-pet spell), maybe one skill with corpse mechanic, Dremora Thrall ulti.

BONUS: Frost rework
    Remove the failed heavy attack taunt experiment.

Every single one of these is absolutely, 100% doable, EASY, creates new options, fills gaps in functionality, and/or removes some inconvenience. Not a single step is difficult. They don't even require new motif models (unlike Spears, Crossbows, and other player requests that would require much more work), just animations. The only reason it hasn't happened is a shortage of creative vision and willpower. The game remains an incomplete, half-finished, pale shadow of Elder Scrolls until players have these build options.

I mean the Spellsword there would shut up many players, myself included. It is a very elegant solution that would finally give players a melee option for magicka.

It just sucks that there is no melee option for magicka weapons at all.

That's my big problem with ESO weapons. Stamina weapons are full of choice. Magicka is almost ranged by requirment. The weapons, certainly.

I completely agree with your post here, thank you.
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the votes guys.

I had a feeling the poll might turn out this way, however, I still felt compelled to ask.

Stay safe all.

I disagreed with most of your suggestions but don't stop coming up with ideas!!

Be safe
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, no arguments for me. My current Templar probably would have been a sorc if I had the ability to play a magica build with some kind of sword mainhand and bow backbar as what weapons are available to me heavily influences my class choice. I didn't like stamsorc, thus he's a stamplar wielding a blade.

Although I'd also like to add that I wouldn't mind seeing some other magical weapon styles as well- spell books and arcane orbs floating in the hand, something of that ilk. Staves have become a bit tiresome, though I realize your solution mainly implements what is already in the game to allow magica classes more of a choice.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of people make suggestions for new weapons.
    yeah and now you are one of them :D
    The weapons they summon may be mighty greatswords in appearance, but make no mistake. These mystic blades are in fact pure conduits of magicka."
    but...
    these weapons can be crafted The big factor is that when crafted, you still need a style material
    so we craft *pure magic* from...racial style piece of mats...mkay
    Four new weapon lines. Yes. Four.
    Conjured versions of One Hand and Shield, Two Handed, Dual Wield, and Bow.
    No suggestions from me on skills.
    so basically instead of inventing some delusional skills with random numbers

you just want to have weapon skill lines scales with magicka after you craft

your brand new puuure magic weapon from a piece of molibdenium or whatever...

not as bad as some other "new skill line idea" guys but in fact you suggest

to implement some strange overburdened system with new craft stations

just to scale existing weapon skill lines damage from magicka instead of stam...
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yeah and now you are one of them :D

Yes. At no point did I say that the idea of making suggestions was bad or wrong.

Nice try though. :)