The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PTS LA/HA and Server Performance

Charon_on_Vacation
Charon_on_Vacation
✭✭✭✭
Just a little food for thought on Performance.
Correct me if i'm wrong:
If these changes go live, the Server does not only have to calculate more heavy attacks, because cast/channel time was reduced for some, it also has to calculate every light attack resource return in addition to also check the light attack resource gain CP for every attack. it will also have to keep track on each individual stack of resource return for consecutive attacks and events like light attacking an off-balance target.
not everyone is LA weaving, yeah, but given the amount of players, that are quite a few extra calculations.
Apart from all the Discussion about Weaving/Ani-Cancel, is this really a good idea?
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Great point didn’t even think of that. The server can’t keep up with all the calculations as it is. Might work fine on pts, but under a full server load could cause some serious performance problems.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if i'm wrong:
    If these changes go live, the Server does not only have to calculate more heavy attacks, because cast/channel time was reduced for some, it also has to calculate every light attack resource return in addition to also check the light attack resource gain CP for every attack. it will also have to keep track on each individual stack of resource return for consecutive attacks and events like light attacking an off-balance target.
    not everyone is LA weaving, yeah, but given the amount of players, that are quite a few extra calculations.
    Apart from all the Discussion about Weaving/Ani-Cancel, is this really a good idea?

I think that the server is already doing this, today.

(Edit: I mean, not specific to what is on PTS, but the server is already aware of all of these things and so it won't be a big issue.)
    Edited by Elsonso on March 28, 2020 3:09PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct OP, during server bottle neck LA spammers are going to receive all of their resource returns all at the same time or not at all. Speaking for cyrodiil only but for pve it’s starting to get worse too on live
  • Charon_on_Vacation
    Charon_on_Vacation
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong:

(Edit: I mean, not specific to what is on PTS, but the server is already aware of all of these things and so it won't be a big issue.)

how exactly can the server be aware of LA resource return if there is no such thing on live?
    how exactly can the server be aware of a LA resource return CP Star if there is no such thing on live?
    the heavy attack one is much less stress, because HAs are happening a lot less than LA.
    how exactly can the server be aware of LA resource return stacks AND the implications of off-balance attacks returns if there is no such thing on live?
    heavy attacks, yeah, but the point was, there are less of them on live.
    i'm curious as to how you think this already happens. could you explain?
  • DustyWarehouse
    DustyWarehouse
    ✭✭✭
    The combat team seem to have an annoying obsession with "stacks", and every patch they add something else that has them.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if i'm wrong:

how exactly can the server be aware of LA resource return if there is no such thing on live?
    how exactly can the server be aware of a LA resource return CP Star if there is no such thing on live?
    the heavy attack one is much less stress, because HAs are happening a lot less than LA.
    how exactly can the server be aware of LA resource return stacks AND the implications of off-balance attacks returns if there is no such thing on live?

My point is that the server is already the one who has to handle all of this sort of thing, and that I don't think that this is a significant added burden, which is your assumption.
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The combat team seem to have an annoying obsession with "stacks", and every patch they add something else that has them.

I’m so glad someone brought this up, the whole gaining stacks thing is just not for this game. Nobody is using any stacking sets unless it’s bis trial gear but even then, lag makes them useless in pvp and they offer little risk reward

• Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Correct me if i'm wrong:

My point is that the server is already the one who has to handle all of this sort of thing, and that I don't think that this is a significant added burden, which is your assumption.

And the server can’t even keep up with all the calculations on live aka desyncs, skills not working, aoe telegraphs not working, skills not animating, stamina regen not working just to name a few.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Easier way to improve.

Remove CP.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong:

And the server can’t even keep up with all the calculations on live aka desyncs, skills not working, aoe telegraphs not working, skills not animating, stamina regen not working just to name a few.

I also think that people are under a misconception related to these. These things are not inherent in the server, but problems that ZOS has introduced that they need to fix. They are not going to introduce these changes into an environment that will cause it to break, anyway. They are probably using PTS to gauge server demands, in addition to player feedback, to make sure that what it does is within the operational specs of the server.
  • Charon_on_Vacation
    Charon_on_Vacation
    ✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if i'm wrong:

its a different game, but to introduce you to the concept:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCJWYUuKAZo

the server has issues with the amount of stuff happening atm, increasing this by a good amount (LA are happening quite a lot) won't help.