Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Let’s face it. ESO player base is mainly geriatric senior citizens. Actions per minute matters.

Skoomah
Skoomah
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I support the changes. Once again ZOS identifies a need and fills it. Bravo!
  • Vicinia
    Vicinia
    ✭✭✭✭
    mj_lol-DMID1-5e3izxehc-320x240.gif
  • central_scrutinizer
    Oh please, many of us older gamers played stuff like quake and og tribes and ns1 that was way faster then anything you play now.
    Eso on its best day when everything actually works still isn't even in the same hemisphere as true bunnyhopping combat or having a jetpack/shotgun duel with a fade when both players know what they're doing, it's basically a graphic novel in comparison.

Here's what's actually going on: bloat&bandaids
    Edited by central_scrutinizer on March 28, 2020 4:47AM
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh please, many of us older gamers played stuff like quake and og tribes and ns1 that was way faster then anything you play now.
    Eso on its best day when everything actually works still isn't even in the same hemisphere as true bunnyhopping combat or having a jetpack/shotgun duel with a fade when both players know what they're doing, it's basically a graphic novel in comparison.

Hell, doubt the OP could even handle the shenanigans Rainz brought forth hourly and daily throughout UO when we had 56k modems.
  • Metal10957
    Metal10957
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda miss UO... not the graphics though.
    For the Horde!
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone even had the audacity to necro a thread from 2015 asking if ZOS and ESO should dabble in mature content, but...

... it doesn’t get any more “mature” than this!

I jest - but it sucks to see misdirected failings on so many levels of the game, ATM.

S.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Get off my lawn!
  • McStunty
    McStunty
    Soul Shriven
    Ahh UO those were the days (and quite a lot of nights too i seem to remember)
    Foward one !
  • edges_endgame
    edges_endgame
    ✭✭✭✭
    School closed, eh?
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pff youngsters with your life bars and your save points. Back in the days we finished Super Contra 3 and Battletoads uphill in the snow. Get off my lawn!
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell, doubt the OP could even handle the shenanigans Rainz brought forth hourly and daily throughout UO when we had 56k modems.

56k modems? Luxury.
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pff youngsters with your life bars and your save points. Back in the days we finished Super Contra 3 and Battletoads uphill in the snow. Get off my lawn!

Pfft. NES TMNT Underwater sewer level without using Michelangelo (glitched health that allowed him to take twice as much damage from the "seaweed" and swam slightly faster), or fighting Bebop / Rocksteady with only Raph, or the beat the Terrordome without using Leo or Donny >:)
    GenjiraX wrote: »

56k modems? Luxury.

Didn't get mine till 98 lol, was 298.95 in 97, at the Radioshack, 98 dropped down to the very affordable 175.98 :dizzy:
    Edited by StormeReigns on March 28, 2020 7:11AM
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pfft. NES TMNT Underwater sewer level without using Michelangelo (glitched health that allowed him to take twice as much damage from the "seaweed" and swam slightly faster), or fighting Bebop / Rocksteady with only Raph, or the beat the Terrordome without using Leo or Donny >:)

Pfffff, the NES Megaman 1 teleporting blocks almost-end-boss is what seperated the weed from the chaff!

• StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Pfffff, the NES Megaman 1 teleporting blocks almost-end-boss is what seperated the weed from the chaff!

Or... hear me out now... actually proudly and openly enjoying this box cover
    Muv-Ezreiy5jgkABk2-kqKcJFol39P4EyAT3JUIIMjI.jpg?auto=webp&s=f2bb6407fbe444e1342116dc7fc1d2f64ec57bfc
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ageism is hilarious.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day when you paid for a game and got the whole game. No DLC, no long loading times, and when the game wouldn’t start properly all you had to do was blow on the cartridge!
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the days even the pre-game rituals were a test of skill and mental dexterity! Oh the days where you had to write a .bat file yourself with no google to aid you! Since every noob knew you often had to allocate the specific amounts of extended and/or expanded memory in order to play the latest performance-intensive game!

Of course you bought said game in a store, and if it was an RPG or flight sim you bet it came with a manual the size of a phonebook. :sweat_smile:
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... blow on the cartridge!
    Cartridge? You were lucky.

We used to have to get up in the morning at half past ten at night, press play on the tape deck, wait 14 hours down t'pit, lick t'tape clean wi' our tongues and, when it finally loaded, our game would crash us within an inch of our lives wi' its belt.

You try telling that to the young players today and they won't believe you.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm almost 50 myself and many of my friends playing are in their 60s. We don't care about APM at all.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you bought said game in a store, and if it was an RPG or flight sim you bet it came with a manual the size of a phonebook. :sweat_smile:

I kind of miss that, actually. I mean sure, it's impractical now because games are being updated on the very day they launch with changes that render the info in printed user manuals obsolete. But I do miss that tactile feel and smell of a brand new manual to study while waiting for the next prompt to change disks.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everstorm wrote: »
    Get off my lawn!

Vp5STHc.gif
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Omg... SEE!

Old people!
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There probably are a lot of older players. Difference is with age comes wisdom, knowing how to do something doesn’t mean you want to.

I’m still shocked people think light attack weaving and animation cancelling is skilled gameplay. It’s not, it’s just hitting buttons faster to accomplish what you should be able to do with one button press. You aren’t putting any extra thought into anything, you’re just doing the same pattern with each skill.

If you added scratching your ass and blinking twice on top of every skill use you people would say it’s skill based too?
    Edited by Iskiab on March 28, 2020 1:45PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it is sad when the Arena box art is all the excitement us ESO players get here in the nursing home. Well, aside from the time Edna dropped her teeth into the toilet.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skoomah wrote: »
    Omg... SEE!

Old people!

I'm 57, and I'll tell you that inside every old person is an unruly teenager screaming to get out.

Having been playing games since the 70s, key presses, patterns, repeatable actions, and knowing how and when to deviate is a core skill that has always been a part of the experience. The demand to lower apm and achieve the same is an instant gratification mentality. This is not in line with most people of my generation, so where is it really coming from?
    Edited by mairwen85 on March 28, 2020 1:56PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I count as a senior citizen if my middle school students look at me incredulously and ask "You play video games?"

Their next question is inevitably "Do you play Fortnite?" :lol:
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But...... I’m 13

Everyone has known this for years....
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »
    Having been playing games since the 70s, key presses, patterns, repeatable actions, and knowing how and when to deviate is a core skill that has always been a part of the experience. The demand to lower apm and achieve the same is an instant gratification mentality. This is not in line with most people of my generation, so where is it really coming from?

Arthritis, apparently. :smile:

No, it is not an "instant gratification mentality". Instant gratification would be ZOS deciding, after 10 seconds of combat, to just kill the monster for you.

This game is not, and never has been, a competitive level game. I don't think it was even intended that ESO would be an eSport, so what does it matter whether they update the game so that low APM can be successful in the game? They show no inclination to put low APM at parity with high APM. They have actually indicated the opposite. High APM will do more damage. That leaves me with the conclusion that just want to make sure that APM is not a criteria that blocks participation in a lot of the content. Probably not ALL of the content.

Well, now I want to know... :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been calling it "mom's first MMO" for years. Glad everyone's catching up.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    54 and damn proud of it.
    Do I count as a senior citizen if my middle school students look at me incredulously and ask "You play video games?"

They might not know now but if you play games at 15 you play games at 50, 60 and 80. It doesn't stop.
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have closed this thread as it is not constructive.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.