Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Lightning staff tri focus smh. No just no

phoenixkungfu
phoenixkungfu
✭✭✭✭
Lightning has alway equal aoe representation in eso. However with all the nerfs to lightning damage over many patches. It is by far the weakest element in the game. TRI FOCUS is the last great representation of lightning damage in the gameplay. 25% on tri focus is just a disgrace. This would mean the death of lightning aoe without a ultimate. 100% tri focus is what makes lightning staff amazing. Otherwise is just a channel and simply not interesting as a element. Lightning heavy attack not having powerful aoe just feels out of place. Please consider this and change the passive back. Powerful aoe attacks should be more then just bones and Fisher. Please keep the original sorcerer doing lightning damage.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightning staff is outperforming with heavy attack every other staff as is, while i agree that a nerf to 25% aoe damage is an overkill, tuning it down to 60% can be adequate.

Tbh what actually needs to work on is the viability of heavy attacks from other destro staves (fire&ice) and how fun they are to use, instead of touching lightning staff at all.
    Options
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played on pts because I'm on ps4. However based on what I read. Lightning damage in my opinion, just won't be the same without tri focus at 100%. I just cant get behind a aoe nerf to lightning damage. It's just out of place. If there is room for changes maybe tone down the range of the aoe damage to others targets. Otherwise lightning staff is just a channel attack with nothing special. the tri focus damage is to low. Especially in pvp.
    Edited by phoenixkungfu on March 26, 2020 9:36AM
    Options
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to agree. I mean where is the widespread uproar about Lightning Heavy attacks? Ive not seen it, Ive not heard it, including in PVP.

Where do these bizzare nerfs come from? For whose benefit?

I imagine a few vocal pvp folk got their buns in a twist and screamed and cryed about Lightning heavy attacks and now we have this, as per usual. One can only hope 25% is not implemented, that just seems overkill.
    Options
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats what u get when u mix pvp and pve with no changes. People will always exploit something and get it nerfed.
    Options
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lightning staves is a amazing tool against the heal a bubbly meta in pvp. If use right you can really make a small scale pvp group pay for attacking when they should be defending. Its not very good against zergs but small scale or bgs it really shines. This is a huge hit to the ability to 1vx as the lightning channel is slow. The heavyattack playstyle is at it's best when you can turn the tables against many and punish bad attack formations.
    Options
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1
    PC EU
    Options
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya. I thought the whole point was to buff heavy attacks and make them more viable for people unable to reach high rpm’s. Lol. So you wanna buff the heavy attack but nerf its effects. Ok.
    Edited by carlos424 on March 26, 2020 6:38PM
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't know about this.

Thanks, I hate it.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Lightning staff is outperforming with heavy attack every other staff as is, while i agree that a nerf to 25% aoe damage is an overkill, tuning it down to 60% can be adequate.

Tbh what actually needs to work on is the viability of heavy attacks from other destro staves (fire&ice) and how fun they are to use, instead of touching lightning staff at all.

agreed, but if we are touching the ice staff at all, it would be best to update it entirely from tanking to dps, and to shift the tanking functions over to elemental susceptibility as both active and slotted effects.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
    Options
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    My biggest fear is alot of THINGS will change because the YouTube and internet is talking about it. But after the dust clear massive changes like tri focus my be forgotten. WHICH MY MEAN THE PATCH VERSION OF TRI FOCUS GOES LIVE. this is my fear because I noticed no one is talking about it. I believe this because most dont understands lightning heavy attack to a advantage level. THIS IS A HUGH NERF AND IDENTITY LOSS. To lightning staff heavy attack.
    Options
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have to agree. I mean where is the widespread uproar about Lightning Heavy attacks? Ive not seen it, Ive not heard it, including in PVP.

Where do these bizzare nerfs come from? For whose benefit?

I imagine a few vocal pvp folk got their buns in a twist and screamed and cryed about Lightning heavy attacks and now we have this, as per usual. One can only hope 25% is not implemented, that just seems overkill.

The uproar has been over the change in general, only a few like it.

As far as I remember, the nerf to lightning staves was in the change from the start.

Options
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will ZOS learn the value of a chisel over a hammer...
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
    Options
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea what anyone here is talking about but will it make vma harder for someone that is mostly using one bar lightning staff heavy atks?
    Options
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Funny how you are all about unnecessary nerfs of other classes but now that you're personally affected by one, it's unacceptable.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Funny how you are all about unnecessary nerfs of other classes but now that you're personally affected by one, it's unacceptable.

Idk if you're talking about OP specifically or sorcs in general. If it helps, my position is that no one needs these nerfs. It's not actually doing anything besides making all classes less fun to play for all players. I think buffs and dynamic PVE difficulty adjustments are the way to go if something is over/underperforming. (And of course if there's a bug or exploit, that's another thing entirely, but.)
    Edited by SickleCider on March 28, 2020 8:28PM
    Options
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Idk if you're talking about OP specifically or sorcs in general. If it helps, my position is that no one needs these nerfs. It's not actually doing anything besides making all classes less fun to play for all players. I think buffs and dynamic PVE difficulty adjustments are the way to go if something is over/underperforming. (And of course if there's a bug or exploit, that's another thing entirely, but.)

My post is specifically addressing the OP.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

My post is specifically addressing the OP.

Okay! Carry on~
    Options
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Haven't you learned anything yet? ZOS doesn't want "amazing". If they had it their way every flavor of ice cream in the world would be vanilla. :/
    Options
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been waiting for this post from you the moment I read that change in the pts notes. You only cause an uproar when it directly affects YOUR build (heavy attack mag sorc) and thats why none of your opinions about other classes and how you'd like to nerf them carry any distinguishable merit. I urge you to be self aware about this fact when you go about asking for other classes to be nerfed because you couldn't handle them in pvp.

Edit: Watch the video from Hack below my comment, the 190% and 34% buffs are actually 270% and 76%. Not sure if the video is entirely accurate and will need to test for myself later, but I trust Hack more than I trust those patch notes.

On topic. 25% is a bit high of a nerf, but Lightning staff heavy attacks are absolutely insane on the pts. They are incredibly strong. All you have to do is read the buffs to understand..
    • Lightning Staff Heavy Attacks now deal approximately 34% more damage on the channeled portion, and the final hit now deals approximately 190% more damage.
      • Removed the 200ms delay of the attack.
      • Your movement speed is no longer reduced while channeling.
      • The final hit can now be dodged.
      • The bonus damage versus Off Balance enemies now deals 33% more damage for any Heavy Attack, Partial or Fully-Charged, down from 70% for only fully-charged Heavy Attack.

So it's now slightly quicker to use and does over 200% more dps to a single target. To clarify, a final damage tick of 8k on live would now be 23.2k so of COURSE they're going to nerf the aoe damage it can do.

Lets look at that 8k damage, thats 100% for 8k in aoe on live.

On pts, 25% of 23.2k is 5.8k.

The first target is taking over 200% dps while aoe targets only take 28% less damage.

Off balance only received a nerf from 70% to 33%. That 8k would be 13.6k on live. On pts, that 23.2k is going to be 30.8k damage! This is FREE, it costs no resources to use. This damage isn't even accurate because you can hit more than 8k on live.

It looks balanced to me.. Doesn't matter though. All those changes shouldn't make it to live and they would be wise to listen to some of the best feedback on the forrums like codes. The current design is simply not intuitive and will create a larger dps gap by forcing people into bash weaving which very few people care for.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on March 28, 2020 10:58PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options
  • Kali_Despoine
    Kali_Despoine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been waiting for this post from you the moment I read that change in the pts notes. You only cause an uproar when it directly affects YOUR build (heavy attack mag sorc) and thats why none of your opinions about other classes and how you'd like to nerf them carry any distinguishable merit. I urge you to be self aware about this fact when you go about asking for other classes to be nerfed because you couldn't handle them in pvp.

On topic. 25% is a bit high of a nerf, but Lightning staff heavy attacks are absolutely insane on the pts. They are incredibly strong. All you have to do is read the buffs to understand..
    • Lightning Staff Heavy Attacks now deal approximately 34% more damage on the channeled portion, and the final hit now deals approximately 190% more damage.
      • Removed the 200ms delay of the attack.
      • Your movement speed is no longer reduced while channeling.
      • The final hit can now be dodged.
      • The bonus damage versus Off Balance enemies now deals 33% more damage for any Heavy Attack, Partial or Fully-Charged, down from 70% for only fully-charged Heavy Attack.

So it's now slightly quicker to use and does over 200% more dps to a single target. To clarify, a final damage tick of 8k on live would now be 23.2k so of COURSE they're going to nerf the aoe damage it can do.

Lets look at that 8k damage, thats 100% for 8k in aoe on live.

On pts, 25% of 23.2k is 5.8k.

The first target is taking over 200% dps while aoe targets only take 28% less damage.

Off balance only received a nerf from 70% to 33%. That 8k would be 13.6k on live. On pts, that 23.2k is going to be 30.8k damage! This is FREE, it costs no resources to use. This damage isn't even accurate because you can hit more than 8k on live.

It looks balanced to me.. Doesn't matter though. All those changes shouldn't make it to live and they would be wise to listen to some of the best feedback on the forrums like codes. The current design is simply not intuitive and will create a larger dps gap by forcing people into bash weaving which very few people care for.

Wow, thank you for breaking this down. Not the OP, but I found this very insightful, and I'm a lot less worried now.
    Options
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sucks when someone makes a topic based on pts changes without posting or quoting what is he talking about, like all of us should be checking the pts forum daily to see any change or update.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
    Options
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This video shows the damage increase is not 190% for a fully charged heavy attack and 34% for the channel. It's actually 270% and 76% respectively.

It's either a bug or the patch notes were wrong. 25% of a heavy attack that does 273.2% more is actually 93.3% damage vs live.

Here is the math if all this is true:

LIVE fully charged heavy attack dmg: 500.

PTS fully charged heavy attack dmg: 500 * 3.732 (3.732 == 273.2%) = 1866.
    PTS aoe: 1866 * .25 = 466.5.

This shows that even if the passive is 25%, the aoe damage is so close to live it's practically the same at 93.3%. The damage increase is nuts.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on March 28, 2020 11:29PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options