Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Stealing, multiple chars

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
Where would you park your chars for a daily round of stealing? Any spots with lots of containers OR high "quality" NPCs? (what types besides nobles should I aim for anyway?)
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Brass Fortress in Clockwork City for this. There is a whole building with NPC's and no guards at all there too.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
    Options
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kvatch on the Gold Coast is fine if you have the Dark Brotherhood DLC. There's a yard with four Order of the Hour troopers (watchmen category) and three civilians (one smith, two commoners) who respawn pretty fast. Plus the city guards never visit this yard; it's my preferred thieving and assassination spot.
    And if some other thief/murderer happens to visit the place while I'm at it, I usually invite them to group. Together you can fill your pockets even quicker.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
    Options
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did my stealing for the achievement where you have to launder 1 million gold mostly in Windhelm and Riften. Lots of containers, even those inside buildings can be reached without a guard nabbing you if you have a bounty. I have no idea if they've changed the strong box positions or contents, and this was before even Morrowind came out, so there may be better spots now.
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The ships at the Daggerfall docks is a classic, there are no witnesses on the interior of the ships and lots of containers.
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vivec is my favourite I think. Since you get treasures, motifs and blueprints.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    Options
  • Sailor_Palutena
    Sailor_Palutena
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main palace in Wrothgar. Closets and tables everywhere with high leveled items.
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go to Windhelm for the strongbox train. The inns, guilds, and even some stalls all have strongboxes you can loot. They have a guaranteed green or higher item in each one on top of a small bonus of gold!
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want strongboxes, Kvatch has many as well. And breaking into houses is easy there, too.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
    Options
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anvil Castle. There's only one immortal guard in the throne room and he's easy to avoid. The rest of the castle is completely free, and escaping to get back to the outlaw refuge is easy as pie.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
    Options
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often steal in Skywatch and Windhelm, but I steal from npcs in rapid succession on a nightblade without waiting for the extra stealing chance bonus to pop. I get caught sometimes but there's so many npcs that if I get caught I simply move and steal from the person a few spaces away from them, and cloak away from the guards. The bounty I rack up isn't an issue because the guards never kill me, and I get enough to launder to the max limit on the character within 20-25 minutes on a good day.

There's not much chance for high value motifs or items but the greens, blues and the rare purples add up to a fair amount, it's what I did to get the Black Market Mogul achievement.

Options
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what ELSE you are looking for - IMHO - because you can get stolen items to sell anywhere.

For instance - I am currently trying to complete Motif Books 50, 51, & 52 - which drop in Vvardenfell - so I am also getting recipes & plans from that zone at the same time as items to fence. After that, I will go to another zone, for the chance to complete Designs & Diagrams from there, etc.

Going to a place and taking the time to REALLY know the guard patterns; what “status” the NPCs are for pick-pocketing; and where the chest nodes are, will help you make a perfectly-timed loop / route based on spawn times. For me, the difference between a good location and a great one, is whether you can still easily move around to other areas with fresh NPCs even with a bounty... ‘cause I never pay to have it removed.

If you have the inventory space - I like to run a character to it’s fence limit just before the daily reset - then load it up & park it with the next day’s quota ready to go. Umm... not that I have the frickin’ room to store all of that! Lol.

Plus - Night Terror, Night Mother’s Embrace, and Darloc Brae’s gear sets help immensely.

S.
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a list of NPC types with their "quality" anywhere by chance?
    Options
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    Is there a list of NPC types with their "quality" anywhere by chance?

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Pickpocket

Has a table with the type of target (easy/medium/hard) and the default success chance to pickpocket. If by quality you mean the quality of the loot, it varies, but harder targets have a higher chance of better quality items to steal.

If your goal is the stealing itself, not the pickpocketing, I'd go for strongboxes instead. Much easier to pull off undetected, and typically better loot than random pockets. You can work a circular route in a city such that when you get to the first box it's already respawned, so there's no down time unless you have competition.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't care about bounty, the main building in Dhalmora has around 8 safeboxes inside (with no guards and no front door), with a few more outside. If you are maxed at force lock, you can make good money there. Only problem is if you are competing with other players for safebox spawns, it can get pretty ugly.

Edited by Jaraal on March 24, 2020 10:40AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you prefer pickpocketing and container looting, it's hard to beat The Illumination Academy, just NW of the Ebon Stadmont wayshrine in Summerset. Multiple unlocked buildings full of containers and NPCs, and there is no trespassing penalty. And zero guards inside the walls of the compound.

Edited by Jaraal on March 24, 2020 10:40AM
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat related - does anyone know any specific delve with a LOT of containers packed together? The two in Glenumbra related to the festival seem ok, but there must be even better places.
    Options
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat related - does anyone know any specific delve with a LOT of containers packed together? The two in Glenumbra related to the festival seem ok, but there must be even better places.

Moonlit Cove in SE has a TON of crates; jewelry boxes, and urns up on ledges. I always have to make sure my inventory is clean before going there - especially farming the Senchal motif via dailies in SE.

S.

Edit: spelling
    Edited by ShawnLaRock on March 28, 2020 9:49PM
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Traitor's Vault in Artaeum has a lot of urns and wardrobes, desks, nightstands, etc. Also, the Illumination Academy I mentioned above has a mini delve inside it full of the same containers (no stealing required) that you unlock by doing the quest there. And once you unlock it, you can visit it at any time.
    Options
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    If you prefer pickpocketing and container looting, it's hard to beat The Illumination Academy, just NW of the Ebon Stadmont wayshrine in Summerset. Multiple unlocked buildings full of containers and NPCs, and there is no trespassing penalty. And zero guards inside the walls of the compound.

Forgot all about this location. Thanks for the reminder!
    PS4/PS5/NA - And now EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
    Options