Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Off topic but important. You can help the fight against CoronaVirus with the raw power of your rig

stitchesofdooom
stitchesofdooom
✭✭✭✭
There's a website called folding@home and you can use their client to donate some of your spare computing power (CPU & GPU) to the various protein folding simulations to help the global research collaboration find treatments, vaccines and cures for Covid-19.

Anyone with a PC can help, but we PC gamers particulary can put the power of our GPUs into this project when we're not gaming. Many of these tasks are far better suited to GPUs. We can help to protect the weak and the sick. We all know someone with a trashed immune system, or who is really effin old. Please, PCMR: use your PCMR powers for good.

Obviously Google it first: folding@home
Edited by stitchesofdooom on March 18, 2020 10:58PM
Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
PCMR EU.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh are you the guy I saw in The Rift earlier on PC EU?

But no, seriously. Yes. I agree.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
    Options
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Done. :)
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moi aussi!
    Options
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pffft

I've been donating computing power to SETI@home since like 2003 and those guys haven't found a single alien.

Joking aside this is probably a decent thing to do.
    Options
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh are you the guy I saw in The Rift earlier on PC EU?

But no, seriously. Yes. I agree.

Yeah, that was me. PCMR are uniquely equipped to make a real difference. Even a potato potato beats a basic workstation.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
    Options
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mindcr0w wrote: »
    Pffft

I've been donating computing power to SETI@home since like 2003 and those guys haven't found a single alien.

Joking aside this is probably a decent thing to do.
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Moi aussi!
    Done. :)

thanks for the support. It's not my project, and I'm extremely unlikely to die if I catch it... but for the small percentage to who CoronaVirus is extremely threatening - I choose to use my PCMR powers for good.
    PCMR EU.
    Options
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folding now :) Thanks for the information @stichesofdooom

NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
    Options
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea! Just got a 2080 super + 3900x which game performance has prevented me from using anyways... might as well put em to good use!
    Options
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems like a really good thing! Thank you @stitchesofdooom for sharing this information!

Now, here's hoping ZOS will make an exception and not close this thread down because it is not ESO-related. Please, ZOS, be reasonable and just ignore this, there are things that are slightly more important than your game right now and the more people know about it and take it seriously, the better.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

Options
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    The folding at home folks are bringing it back to playstation as well. It was on ps3. Going to ps4.
    Options
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems like a really good thing! Thank you @stitchesofdooom for sharing this information!

Now, here's hoping ZOS will make an exception and not close this thread down because it is not ESO-related. Please, ZOS, be reasonable and just ignore this, there are things that are slightly more important than your game right now and the more people know about it and take it seriously, the better.

0% chance ZOS closes this, this should be pinned if anything.
    Options
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, they have closed down other Covid-19 threads before, but those were mostly dealing with memes or other inappropriate stuff, so... I sure hope you're right in this case :)
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

Options
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, they have closed down other Covid-19 threads before, but those were mostly dealing with memes or other inappropriate stuff, so... I sure hope you're right in this case :)

Bethesda should be promoting this
    PCMR EU.
    Options
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »

thank you for joining the team.

Team PCMR is 225605 btw
    PCMR EU.
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Team PCMR is 225605 btw

@stitchesofdooom there is now an ESOfam team 240473 :)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Options
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Team PCMR is 225605 btw

Thanks joined. :)
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...this smells malicious.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

It isn't, research it :) All you have to do is google/duckduckgo :)
    Options
  • Pathfindr
    Pathfindr
    ✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

Thank you. Joined. :)
    "Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."

PC EU and PC NA
    Nothing to see here, please move on...
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Folding@home is not a new thing, but there since a couple of years. Computing how proteins fold is a rather intensive computation and using the power of client machines to distribute the computation is helping research - this is not specifically for corona, but in general it helps researchers in the field with many problems related to the 3d structure of proteins and enzymes. This said, if you graphics hardware has issues with temperature, keep an eye on it - the computations done are using lots of GPU power and it could eventually overheat.
    Edited by Lysette on March 19, 2020 10:39AM
    Options
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Is there any chance we can sticky this, so we can all see and help out if we can? :D
    Options
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to ask this but does it contribute internationally or just to the US?

Edit: For anyone concerned like me this seems to be a good jumping off point. I'm very wary of commercial research masquerading as open source research (although I realise the lines are always blurry.) Anyway, sorry to be overly cautious probably.

https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

Edited by Magenpie on March 19, 2020 1:27PM
    Options
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magenpie wrote: »
    Sorry to ask this but does it contribute internationally or just to the US?

It's a global collaboration.
    PCMR EU.
    Options
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

Team PCMR is 225605 btw

I refuse to join a team that uses "fam" in their name.
    PCMR EU.
    Options
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the info. Done. <3
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
    Options
  • wolfbone
    wolfbone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    their story's so touching, it sounds just like a lie!
    Options
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I pay for electricity, so no. Plus ESO lags enough!
    Options
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    I pay for electricity, so no. Plus ESO lags enough!
    wolfbone wrote: »
    their story's so touching, it sounds just like a lie!
    LOL. How much power does your rig pull Kadoin? I'll gladly pay the extra $2-3 a MONTH if it means helping out the cause and in return keeping posts like these still around for the humor component. :D

Edited by scorpius2k1 on March 19, 2020 3:01PM
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
    Options
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify, this project covers protein folding simulations, one application of which is a set of simulations they are running on SARS in order to understand COVID-19 better and identify the potential for certain kinds of cures - it's not devoted to COVID-19 exclusively and it's actually unlikely (but not impossible) that they will contribute to curing COVID-19 anytime soon. Their primary focus is on diseases resultant from protein mis-folding, like cancer, Alzheimer's, and many others.

I'm pretty sure they are capitalizing on the COVID-19 media frenzy to draw attention to their project by applying their methods to the problem, and it's an area that needs to be explored, but they are not working towards a cure, per se. They are making simulated SARS data available to researchers who are investigating a very specific factor that might result in a cure.

It's good that they are doing their part, and their work is important, but if your primary concern is curing COVID-19, donating your GPU to this probably won't do a lot. But it might do a lot more for curing many other diseases - so don't let your cynicism override your desire to help, just make sure that you are informed and devoting your resources in a way that meets your priorities.

On a side note, if they are a registered charity, the additional power consumption costs you incur by running their models ought to be tax deductible AFAIK, but I don't think that they provide a reliable way to measure that in their software, and their tax ID is not on their website from what I can see.
    Options
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    While not ZOS related, as most of you have kept the thread super constructive, for now we have only removed a few of the baiting/non-constructive posts.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post