Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Boss casts fear, player runs into terrain

BackStabeth
BackStabeth
✭✭✭✭✭
In the Wayrest sewers, the boss Uulgarg the Hungry uses an AOE fear ability. I get it, it's a great idea for a boss except it's not in it's current form. The problem with the AOE fear ability is that it can cause a player to run right through terrain. So far, I have been feared into walls, into the stairs, into the tent and even the floor. There is no way to avoid this, and in almost every run someone is feared into some sort of terrain. Then everyone has to hang around while the person stuck tries to use /stuck, /reloadui or relog to get unstuck.

I cannot imagine this is intentional, and personally I just don't want to do the undaunted challenges when they require me to go into the wayrest sewers. It's an annoying hassle we should not have to put up with.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you phrase this in the form of an advantage to the player? Perhaps you can get yourself feared into the boss room or through a mandatory encounter. If we somehow gain an edge from this bug, it might get fixed a bit faster.
  • BackStabeth
    BackStabeth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you phrase this in the form of an advantage to the player? Perhaps you can get yourself feared into the boss room or through a mandatory encounter. If we somehow gain an edge from this bug, it might get fixed a bit faster.

I have to say I wasn't expecting the end to your post. Honestly, I laughed pretty hard. Isn't that the truth though, if the bug could be used to a players advantage it might be fixed right away. Since it is what it is it probably won't' be.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Truth. a bug which benefits no one and only causes frustration is never going to be fixed, not now and not in 10 years.

If we benefit it's fixed next patch.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @BackStabeth

First, on which platform and mega-server does the behavior you described occur? ZOS cannot investigate without that information. Please refer to the Guidelines For Bug Report Forum for the requirements and for advice about filing a Bug Report.

Did this occur in Wayrest I or in Wayrest II (normal or veteran)? Do you know whether it happens in both?

It has been a very long time since any of my characters fought in Wayrest Sewers (i.e., before the dungeons were re-modeled to create Normal and Veteran modes). I remember the boss using Fear, but I don't recall anyone's character running into or through terrain. If a fleeing character encountered impassable terrain, they stopped moving.

There should be a way for the character to Break Free of the Fear. IIRC, using an Interrupt would do that, or, perhaps, a Roll-Dodge could do it. But features are sometimes changed, whether inadvertently or deliberately. :neutral:

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BackStabeth

First, on which platform and mega-server does the behavior you described occur? ZOS cannot investigate without that information. Please refer to the Guidelines For Bug Report Forum for the requirements and for advice about filing a Bug Report.

Did this occur in Wayrest I or in Wayrest II (normal or veteran)? Do you know whether it happens in both?

It has been a very long time since any of my characters fought in Wayrest Sewers (i.e., before the dungeons were re-modeled to create Normal and Veteran modes). I remember the boss using Fear, but I don't recall anyone's character running into or through terrain. If a fleeing character encountered impassable terrain, they stopped moving.

There should be a way for the character to Break Free of the Fear. IIRC, using an Interrupt would do that, or, perhaps, a Roll-Dodge could do it. But features are sometimes changed, whether inadvertently or deliberately. :neutral:

Not sure you understand the issue completely.

Step 1: A mob fears a player
    Step 2: That player runs away from the mob, ignoring clipping while doing so, often placing them into terrain
    Step 3: You are stuck

I don't believe the platform matters. It can happen in normal or veteran. Yes, you can break free, but if you break free while you are in terrain, you are still stuck. It is easily reproduced. This action could occur in either Wayrest 1 or 2 as they both have bosses which cast fear. You will see similar behavior on the skeleton boss just before the bedroom in Crypt of Hearts 2. A fix is to wait for combat to end, then either teleport to a group member that is in the dungeon or teleport directly to the dungeon using the map. If you can't leave combat, you can have the group kick/vote you out, then have them reinvite you. The better fix is to make it so players can't clip through terrain while feared, which is probably easier said than done.
    Edited by redspecter23 on February 19, 2020 2:27AM
  • BackStabeth
    BackStabeth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BackStabeth

PC

USA

It occurs with any boss that uses AOE fear, and it occurs in wayrest I and II

I'm surprised you have not encountered this regardless where you play. It's all AOE fear initiated by any NPC/Boss.

When it happens, you can't break away, you are already feared into the terrain.
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I experienced the fear-through phenomenon quite a few times myself. Nicest example:
    The Volenfell lion boss feared my main into a bottomless rock which made him fall into the void. No getting unstuck... just falling into Nirn's core and dying.

Luckily for me, though, lion boss fell alongside my main... and reappeared at my character's respawn point with the ~200 HP he just had left before he fell.
    Needless to say my main shield-bashed him to death with a triumphant grin. Take this, furry rock-bender!
    Edited by Ye_Olde_Crowe on February 19, 2020 5:24PM
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why the fear NPCs use has to make you run instead of cowering like player fear. I guess in some cases it can run you into enemy aoes, but the terrain problem is a greater issue.

Tanking the boss away from the problem areas is the most likely solution to happen.

edit to add: The wayrest guy has a predictable pattern with his fear cast, make sure you have enough stam just like vs. Drodda to break free immediately or it could end badly.
    Edited by NordSwordnBoard on February 19, 2020 9:41PM
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have experienced this multiple times, resulting in some very entertaining screen shots. But the most memorable occasion was when I, as the tank, was feared into a wall. The boss then killed all of the other members of the party, but could not hit me. I still had aggro, so I could not use /stuck to free myself, nor could I port to a party member. I eventually had to completely drop group, then have the others re-invite me so that we could continue. It was ridiculous.

PC-NA

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @BackStabeth

Not sure you understand the issue completely.

Step 1: A mob fears a player
    Step 2: That player runs away from the mob, ignoring clipping while doing so, often placing them into terrain
    Step 3: You are stuck

I don't believe the platform matters. It can happen in normal or veteran. Yes, you can break free, but if you break free while you are in terrain, you are still stuck. It is easily reproduced. This action could occur in either Wayrest 1 or 2 as they both have bosses which cast fear. You will see similar behavior on the skeleton boss just before the bedroom in Crypt of Hearts 2. A fix is to wait for combat to end, then either teleport to a group member that is in the dungeon or teleport directly to the dungeon using the map. If you can't leave combat, you can have the group kick/vote you out, then have them reinvite you. The better fix is to make it so players can't clip through terrain while feared, which is probably easier said than done.
    (1) Oh, I understand the issue completely. It isn't a new one, and I have encountered it occasionally -- while playing TESO during the past 5 years -- in delves, dungeons, and once during a Dolmen fight. I won't bore you all with the details. :smiley:

Of course the character must break free before entering the terrain which it is not supposed to be able to enter at all. Sometimes a Dodge-Roll toward passable terrain moves the character after the Fear status has ended, but often that won't work. (Whether it works at all might depend upon the method which the player chooses to execute a Dodge-Roll.)

This is a long-standing issue, among a multitude which ZOS programmers need to correct. It should be corrected if the ZOS management has any concern at all about the integrity of their product.

(2) The platform and the mega-server do matter. Although the game design and its features are, in general, the same on all platforms and mega-servers, a malfunction (bug) is often unique to either a particular platform or a particular server. In particular, when a bug is caused by an add-on, then it can only occur on a PC/Mac since add-ons cannot be used with the other two platforms.

There are bugs reported by players who use the EU mega-server which are not encountered by players who use the NA mega-server, and vice-versa. (Some players have said that the EU mega-server has the most reliable host software, over-all.) Even more commonly, bugs occur either on XBoxOne or on Playstation4, or with a PC or with a Mac, which are never encountered by any player on a different platform.

Again, please read and follow the Guidelines For Bug Report Forum if you want to post a useful bug report. Is that advice the part of my reply to the OP which inspired your remarks? (rhetorical question intended) :neutral:

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • BackStabeth
    BackStabeth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (1) Oh, I understand the issue completely. It isn't a new one, and I have encountered it occasionally -- while playing TESO during the past 5 years -- in delves, dungeons, and once during a Dolmen fight. I won't bore you all with the details. :smiley:

You do not understand the issue completely, your suggestions do not work. If you understood the issue completely you would not make suggestions that do not work. We can all do without sarcasm as well, specifically your passive aggressive emoting. It does not help the post, and it's just plain childish. If you want to be helpful and you truly understand the issue completely as you clearly stated, then you should be stepping up and adding whatever information you think is required to help resolve the issue, not making snide and rude sarcastic comments. You might think you are clever, but meh, you really just seem childish now.
    Of course the character must break free before entering the terrain which it is not supposed to be able to enter at all. Sometimes a Dodge-Roll toward passable terrain moves the character after the Fear status has ended, but often that won't work. (Whether it works at all might depend upon the method which the player chooses to execute a Dodge-Roll.)

There is no way to know when the boss will cast fear.

When fear is cast everyone is running away with no control.

You cannot change direction, you cannot interrupt, you cannot roll, you are forced into a random direction that you cannot predict no matter what direction the boss is facing or you are or where the tank pulls the boss.

The area is not large enough to be able to react fast enough even if there were a way to react after the boss casts fear, before you are put into the terrain.

You can only hope that you are not sent off in a direction that causes you to enter the terrain.
    This is a long-standing issue, among a multitude which ZOS programmers need to correct. It should be corrected if the ZOS management has any concern at all about the integrity of their product.

With this statement I completely agree. You should have said this in your very first post instead of pretending to be a forum moderator and nit picking about my not originally stating it happens on PC. This is what rubs me the wrong way with your post. You stated you have known about this problem for 5 years. You stated that you have experienced this same issue in multiple locations. You did not add any value to this post by stating where, what bosses, what platform or what server. You had an opportunity to add value to this post and chose instead to nit pick. You used sarcasm in a passive aggressive way, and totally missed your opportunity to help the post.
    (2) The platform and the mega-server do matter. Although the game design and its features are, in general, the same on all platforms and mega-servers, a malfunction (bug) is often unique to either a particular platform or a particular server. In particular, when a bug is caused by an add-on, then it can only occur on a PC/Mac since add-ons cannot be used with the other two platforms.

It might be important, it's probably most likely not but regardless when you said that it should be included in the post, at that moment you should have included your own information the very first time you posted on this thread, since you believe it is as important as you make it seem. You had another opportunity to do exactly that in this post, yet you did not once more. You see the pattern you are showing here? You are more interested in telling people what they should do or write in their post and not doing it yourself. You were so focused on finding something, anything, to complain or argue about that you missed your own chance to add value to this thread.
    There are bugs reported by players who use the EU mega-server which are not encountered by players who use the NA mega-server, and vice-versa. (Some players have said that the EU mega-server has the most reliable host software, over-all.) Even more commonly, bugs occur either on XBoxOne or on Playstation4, or with a PC or with a Mac, which are never encountered by any player on a different platform.

So now I'll ask you to please, post your own experience with this known bug you have encountered over the past 5 years. Your own platform, the server you log into, etc. All the information you requested I add, please do so yourself when you next respond. I have no way of knowing why you thought posting my platform and sever were so incredibly important that you felt the need to play the part of forum moderator, when you are not. But since you have pointed this out it would serve everyone better if you also posted your own information about this particular bug.
    Again, please read and follow the Guidelines For Bug Report Forum if you want to post a useful bug report. Is that advice the part of my reply to the OP which inspired your remarks? (rhetorical question intended) :neutral:

If you wish to present yourself as a person who thinks they are being clever, while using sarcasm to express a passive/aggressive undertone then I applaud you. You did an amazing and wonderful job at presenting yourself as exactly that. It's sad however that it was a complete fail if you also intended it to fly under the radar. If your intent was to add value to this post, you should have added value. If your intent was to pretend to be a forum moderator... Well even forum moderators don't behave as you have here in this thread.

Suck it up cupcake, accept the fact people are going to post bug reports in the way they post them. If you feel you can help those posts then do so but trying to force people to confirm to your interpretation of the bug reporting guidelines is just going to generate animosity towards you.