The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Streak and convert spamming is a huge issue plaguing this game

• PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find a good nerf sorc thread as amusing as the next person, but can we please wait until they are at least meta before making them?

Also the flip-flopping cycle of nerf and buff has got to have the devs confused. The community didn't like sorcs spamming CCs and burst damage from 41 meters away, so it was proposed that a Streak stun ought to be unblockable to match other classes unshockable CCs and it would encourage a sorc to play aggressive and in close quarters. Now that's too much, so instead I guess we want the sorcs fighting from 41 meters away again and picking the Ball of Lighting morph which encourages the very cowardly style that we supposedly dislike?

I am not sure if its cowardly. Sorc running streak becomes a liability to ranged burst.

Post shield nerf it's pretty much gg in a few Gcd's
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The funniest thing is streak spamming isn’t even OP. What can they do? Stun you again while you’re immune with one of the skills that costs the most Magicka in game? Lmfao. It’s good for running away from more OP classes that’s for sure, as if 4 streaks in a row doesn’t deplete over 20k+ Magicka.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyron wrote: »
    I agree with removing stun from streak. That is just abused by ballgroups atm.

You have to remember that streak is most expensive spell in game. There isnt just as expensive by far. Just slot gapcloser and you can spam it with fracture of streak cost, following streaking sorc.

I tested it with templar and nightblade gapclosers and it works perfectly. Even better is Critical Rush from 2h. That damage is significant and no sorc can sustain spamming shield (base cost 4200) with streak and streak penalisation.

There are ways how to deal easily with streaking sorc. Its just noone is using gapclosers anymore. I say something similar to nightblades. Like cloak it has counters. Just use them

Minimal LOS and your gap closer won't work. Streak stun through you + another streak and you are out of gap closer range. If sorc maintains his resources properly he can disengage at will in 95% of cases and only another sorc can catch him.

It takes some time until you can use another streak. It isnt just as fast as you think and its much slower than pressing 3 buttons. Gap closers works on 22m distance while streak is to 15m so no sorc can get away with just one streak.

Los may be issue when fighting at rocks or when movement is limited but most of fights is in open or on flat surface so there is zero issue with gap closers. It always worked on streak i keep using it for several years.

You can also, when stunned with streak, break free and gain CC immunity so it isnt true you are always stunned and few sorcs can use more than 3-4 streaks without draining their magicka completely which is cowered by CC immunity.

For streaking sorc it is also huge magicka drain. To sustain this they have to invest more to regen than any other spec. So their damage isnt just as big.
    Timed bombing is something else

Man, I have stamsorc and I know how streak works. There is delay, but your opponent is stunned by streak, so you have ton of time for second one which will put you out of gap close range.
    Of course if this is 1v1 in open space you can keep pressure on sorc by spamming gap closer (imo this is only purpose to have gap closer at all this days - to keep pressure on sorc or NB with shade), but in any Cyro situation there is so much LOS which prevents gap closing..
    Anyway, I am not advocating for streak nerf. It is okay in CP. In no-CP though it is too brutal without unchained and so you need to slot special anti-sorc abilities if you want to have any chances.... just try it on no-CP. Use streak every 8 seconds... your opponent will be without resources VERY fast. And unlike other unblockable stuns, streak is not close melee.
    So ZOS needs to bring damned "unchained perk" to no-CP as well as some other perks. Idk why they didn't performed it yet, looks like absolutely obvious thing to do.
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on February 20, 2020 5:21AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find a good nerf sorc thread as amusing as the next person, but can we please wait until they are at least meta before making them?

Also the flip-flopping cycle of nerf and buff has got to have the devs confused. The community didn't like sorcs spamming CCs and burst damage from 41 meters away, so it was proposed that a Streak stun ought to be unblockable to match other classes unshockable CCs and it would encourage a sorc to play aggressive and in close quarters. Now that's too much, so instead I guess we want the sorcs fighting from 41 meters away again and picking the Ball of Lighting morph which encourages the very cowardly style that we supposedly dislike?

I am not sure if its cowardly. Sorc running streak becomes a liability to ranged burst.

Post shield nerf it's pretty much gg in a few Gcd's

You know.. when fighting magsorc.. if I won't have almost 100% uptime of ALL healing (vigor+cauterize/ritual+ rally), if I won't dodge almost every frags, if I won't use gap closer on magsorc to keep pressure... this is gg from magsorc projectiles in few GCD. Magsorc is probably the ONLY viable projectile ranged class in the moment, even if you need to streak through for meteor burst... so it sounds like complain about how one magsorc killed another magsorc with projectiles...
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to remember that streak is most expensive spell in game. There isnt just as expensive by far. Just slot gapcloser and you can spam it with fracture of streak cost, following streaking sorc.

I tested it with templar and nightblade gapclosers and it works perfectly. Even better is Critical Rush from 2h. That damage is significant and no sorc can sustain spamming shield (base cost 4200) with streak and streak penalisation.

There are ways how to deal easily with streaking sorc. Its just noone is using gapclosers anymore. I say something similar to nightblades. Like cloak it has counters. Just use them

Minimal LOS and your gap closer won't work. Streak stun through you + another streak and you are out of gap closer range. If sorc maintains his resources properly he can disengage at will in 95% of cases and only another sorc can catch him.

It takes some time until you can use another streak. It isnt just as fast as you think and its much slower than pressing 3 buttons. Gap closers works on 22m distance while streak is to 15m so no sorc can get away with just one streak.

Los may be issue when fighting at rocks or when movement is limited but most of fights is in open or on flat surface so there is zero issue with gap closers. It always worked on streak i keep using it for several years.

You can also, when stunned with streak, break free and gain CC immunity so it isnt true you are always stunned and few sorcs can use more than 3-4 streaks without draining their magicka completely which is cowered by CC immunity.

For streaking sorc it is also huge magicka drain. To sustain this they have to invest more to regen than any other spec. So their damage isnt just as big.

Man, I have stamsorc and I know how streak works. There is delay, but your opponent is stunned by streak, so you have ton of time for second one which will put you out of gap close range.
    Of course if this is 1v1 in open space you can keep pressure on sorc by spamming gap closer (imo this is only purpose to have gap closer at all this days - to keep pressure on sorc or NB with shade), but in any Cyro situation there is so much LOS which prevents gap closing..
    Anyway, I am not advocating for streak nerf. It is okay in CP. In no-CP though it is too brutal without unchained and so you need to slot special anti-sorc abilities if you want to have any chances.... just try it on no-CP. Use streak every 8 seconds... your opponent will be without resources VERY fast. And unlike other unblockable stuns, streak is not close melee.
    So ZOS needs to bring damned "unchained perk" to no-CP as well as some other perks. Idk why they didn't performed it yet, looks like absolutely obvious thing to do.

Then it depends where you see problem. If stun on streak is, its not much worse than any CC in game.

But if your problem is to catch streaking sorc, which is using skill that works how it was intended - to get away from melee - i don't see issue here.
    As was said, sorc is intended to fight from distance with all disadvantages which comes with it, so streak is fine.

Dont expect that ranged class will fight you in melee distance :)
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then it depends where you see problem. If stun on streak is, its not much worse than any CC in game.

But if your problem is to catch streaking sorc, which is using skill that works how it was intended - to get away from melee - i don't see issue here.
    As was said, sorc is intended to fight from distance with all disadvantages which comes with it, so streak is fine.

Dont expect that ranged class will fight you in melee distance :)

Yes, that's why I agree that streak is fine and without it magsorc will be simply surf class like snipe builds. But it's stam drain in no-CP is awful (as well as stamdrain of any unblockable cc). So I can see how for many streak can seem OP in no-CP. Not because of stun, but because it requires crazy amount of resources to keep up with sorc (break-free + gap closer) for a fully melee build.
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭

LOS not prevent gap closer sorc cannot streak to LOS . Must streak and then run LOS you have enough time to use gap close. Streak is not problem in non cp and also not problem in CP in CP is much stronger due to easily boost mag Regen
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dazee wrote: »
    What do you expect people to do? they completely gutted power surge. Dark Conversion is janky and hard to use well in a rotation due to the long cast time, its a skill I never even touched before I literally was forced to.

Calling it OP is delusional.

How did they gut Power Surge? If anything Mag Sorcs received a buff because you swapped your go-to morph to Crit Surge and got 3.3k heal ticks instead of 2.5k for the same 33s of Major Sorcery. Sorcs gained a healer morph, they didn't gut anything.

Dark Conversion is not janky to use and it's in the best place it's ever been, the cast time is 1s when it use to be 1.2s. This reduced cast time is coupled with the reduced delay on cast time abilities that use to be about 0.2s causing the actual cast time to be a total of 1.4s. Now, there is 0 delay. The total resources was also buffed from 4696 to 6000 which is 28% more, albeit with a small upfront nerf to 3600, but 2400 over 20s. Arguably one of the best and most reasonable balance passes to come from ZOS.

Learn to use it at the right moments, you're not forced to use anything, you can take it off your bar and use a sustain pvp set if you find that more viable. There are tons of sorc pvp builds without the ability slotted.

Your "rotation" comment leads me to believe your speaking about pve which I will agree on, dark deal/conversion is not great in a pve rotation, but you chose rather weak arguments against OP.

That 3,8 k heal doesn't exist in PvP. It's 1.4 k usually, and that's every other attack at best, that is pitifully powerful. And dark deal is interruptible and doesn't scale from any offensive stats, unlike every other heal in the game.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just needs to be made blockable again.

No it not need until they make other unblockabke stuns blockable...

Not all stuns need to function the same way. Sorc has a very well-rounded toolkit. An unblockable stun in the form of streak is a bit much when added on top of everything else they have access to. If DK had the range, mobility, and burst potential of a Sorc then sure.. make fossilize blockable too.

DK has strongest DOT options best tanking options and best burst ultimate.. they also do not need unblockable stun... but they have okay so Sorc need also..

Strongest DoT options.. doesn't matter since ALL dots are weak now, including DK's. Burst is what matters in PVP right now.

Both sorcs and DK's can be plenty tanky in PVP. But sorcs can be tanky while at long range, with unparalleled kiting ability.

The best burst ultimate is Onslaught.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not “low cost” if you’re playing stam. Better to use the magicka pool for more dark deals than streaking it all away.
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s not “low cost” if you’re playing stam. Better to use the magicka pool for more dark deals than streaking it all away.

it is not low cost also on mag sorc..
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, this is pointless.
    - you may agree that streak should NOT be nerfed
    - you may provide comparisons of costs
    - you may show that all other unblockable stuns are close melee range only
    - you may provide videos where skilled magsorcs rock in U24 decimating whole zerg groups solo
    - you may provide links to ratings by top players where magsorc is still S-tier, though now rivaled by few other specs

They don't listen. They will repeat like mantra - shields are useless, bird takes 2 slots, overload is nerfed, streak is like fossilize, frags are always dodged, curse is always purged.
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on February 21, 2020 8:37AM
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favorite gameplay in cyro. I burst enemy with curse, frag proc, fury, shooting star.
    When in trouble streak away into sunset while convert spaming for sustain. with shacklebreaker, i can convert spamming and streaking endlessly.
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    All they need todo is make it blockable again, and problem solved, it already got the fatigue reduced a lot which is enough of a buff the unblockable thing without counter play is dumb
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    JinxxND wrote: »
    All they need todo is make it blockable again, and problem solved, it already got the fatigue reduced a lot which is enough of a buff the unblockable thing without counter play is dumb

After they make other unblockable stuns blockable then is time to make blockable stun
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree about streak being too good. The ability to choose to engage or disengage is about the best advantage you could ask for. The amount of sorcs who streak away from me when they realize they're going to die, and never come back, is really annoying. Or the sorcs who just prolong a fight they can't win by constantly streaking away, and streaking back when I don't feel like chasing them and trying to re-engage, only to streak away again when they're about to die. It's a major crutch for mediocre players who would otherwise end up very dead very fast.

I think the unblockable stun is the major issue here. The issue with abilities like streak comes down to them doing too many things too effectively, which leaves other classes whose abilities do one single thing for a high cost feeling like their toolkit sucks. If you're a DK and you slot fossilize, it costs more, only stuns and roots one person, and doesn't get you anywhere. It's not a bad ability, but it's extremely expensive and is really only a CC, not a CC and an escape/gap closer.
    Edited by ecru on February 22, 2020 7:04PM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • stamcro
    stamcro
    ✭✭✭
    #Nerfmagsorc
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    I agree about streak being too good. The ability to choose to engage or disengage is about the best advantage you could ask for. The amount of sorcs who streak away from me when they realize they're going to die, and never come back, is really annoying. Or the sorcs who just prolong a fight they can't win by constantly streaking away, and streaking back when I don't feel like chasing them and trying to re-engage, only to streak away again when they're about to die. It's a major crutch for mediocre players who would otherwise end up very dead very fast

sorc is a ranged class. ranged class in the game without ranged combat thats a problem. remove gap closers that crutch for mediocre melee players
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree about streak being too good. The ability to choose to engage or disengage is about the best advantage you could ask for. The amount of sorcs who streak away from me when they realize they're going to die, and never come back, is really annoying. Or the sorcs who just prolong a fight they can't win by constantly streaking away, and streaking back when I don't feel like chasing them and trying to re-engage, only to streak away again when they're about to die. It's a major crutch for mediocre players who would otherwise end up very dead very fast.

I think the unblockable stun is the major issue here. The issue with abilities like streak comes down to them doing too many things too effectively, which leaves other classes whose abilities do one single thing for a high cost feeling like their toolkit sucks. If you're a DK and you slot fossilize, it costs more, only stuns and roots one person, and doesn't get you anywhere. It's not a bad ability, but it's extremely expensive and is really only a CC, not a CC and an escape/gap closer.

All this QQ sesion is not about Sorct is OP but only I winning mele combat with sorc and then he succesuflly run, becuase I do not use Accelerate or morfs and do not slot any charge gapl close ability....
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fawn4287 wrote: »
    baseless calls for nerfs because player lack the skill to counter is what is truly killing this game

Sword and board backbar meta coupled with block cast burst heals, 1 in 3 players being healer/tank hybrids and server performance not handling the large scale zerg play?

so complain about that not streak which is fine as it is.
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slot a gap closer and a snare and bash at the sorc till his dark crystals crumble. Its not that to destroy a sorc especially with a bow ability that interrupts... If you don't want to slot these, then sorry your build sucks against mobile sorcs.

I remember when the crippled bolt escape that sorcs literally couldn't run from two hander wrecking blow spammers. Now they balanced it out and you whine like spoiled brat because you obviously don't have the gear, skill or brains to fight them.

Tell me where the bad sorc touched you?
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭

After they make other unblockable stuns blockable then is time to make blockable stun

All the other unblockable stuns are melee range and or single target. Not a huge aoe range gap closer/escape tool that can stun entire groups while doing damage. Not even close to balanced.
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

All the other unblockable stuns are melee range and or single target. Not a huge aoe range gap closer/escape tool that can stun entire groups while doing damage. Not even close to balanced.

They also don't ramp up their costs, fail on uneven terrain and force a 180 upon you which is impossible on console.
    If we're balancing, then put those on the other CCs. You'll quit in a day.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All this QQ sesion is not about Sorct is OP but only I winning mele combat with sorc and then he succesuflly run, becuase I do not use Accelerate or morfs and do not slot any charge gapl close ability....

It's easy to tell who has never played melee when they suggest slotting a gap closer to counter streak. It's not the gap itself that's the issue, it's the unblockable stun that comes along with the gap, which requires a cc break and then closing the gap. Kiting is one thing, being guaranteed to stun with the ability you use to kite puts it in an entirely different category. It's the resources that are required to be used after a sorc streaks through you that causes the problem.

Gap closers are expensive abilities to use too. A break free followed by a gap closer is roughly 7.5k stam in medium. The suggestion that a streak costing 3k mag is easily countered by using two abilities that cost 7k+ stam is hilarious.
    Edited by ecru on February 23, 2020 10:40PM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digiman wrote: »
    Slot a gap closer and a snare and bash at the sorc till his dark crystals crumble. Its not that to destroy a sorc especially with a bow ability that interrupts... If you don't want to slot these, then sorry your build sucks against mobile sorcs.

I remember when the crippled bolt escape that sorcs literally couldn't run from two hander wrecking blow spammers. Now they balanced it out and you whine like spoiled brat because you obviously don't have the gear, skill or brains to fight them.

Tell me where the bad sorc touched you?

So I have to cc break, gap close spam 4-5 bashes (which wont work anyway), in order to stop convert from happening, or more likely the sorc streaks 2-3 times which puts me out of gap close distance (not that any stam gap close is worth running anyway) which allows the sorc to convert to to his heart’s content while continuing to use curse, frag, force pulse/ele weapon
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again....you have the option to use a ranged Interrupt which will stop them casting.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LeHarrt91 wrote: »
    Again....you have the option to use a ranged Interrupt which will stop them casting.

Yea, this is the only real counter. Most stam run DW BRP or S&B, that’s moreso the issue. Gap closers don’t work well against sorcs, I’ve tried.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    LeHarrt91 wrote: »

Yea, this is the only real counter. Most stam run DW BRP or S&B, that’s moreso the issue. Gap closers don’t work well against sorcs, I’ve tried.

This true as magsorc. When we see someone use gap closer like critical rush we strike away. Since personally i run light armor. DK have lots of ranged counter for magsorc with talon, grip and fossil.
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭

It's easy to tell who has never played melee when they suggest slotting a gap closer to counter streak. It's not the gap itself that's the issue, it's the unblockable stun that comes along with the gap, which requires a cc break and then closing the gap. Kiting is one thing, being guaranteed to stun with the ability you use to kite puts it in an entirely different category. It's the resources that are required to be used after a sorc streaks through you that causes the problem.

Gap closers are expensive abilities to use too. A break free followed by a gap closer is roughly 7.5k stam in medium. The suggestion that a streak costing 3k mag is easily countered by using two abilities that cost 7k+ stam is hilarious.

I play melee every day and its not such hard to slot critical rush and just spam on sorc.. even in case when sorc use streak
    through the enemy streak has long animation which cannot be canceled. Streak has 15m distance gap closer 22m so even sorc use streak two times he is still in the range of gap closer in many case . once u catch the sorc he/she has not chance to escape if he tries ypou will easily win on resource management. 2 streak cost 8541 magica (raw) break free and critical rush cost 8652 stam. this is balanced...You can also use potion to gain cc imunuty and in this case sorc can not escape.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Streak is the last good ability Sorcerer has left. Everything else was overnerfed.
    And in pvp, Streak is not even the issue. Most Sorcerers use Ball of Lightning, which is truly overperforming.
    Purges you of roots and slows and grants you immortality against all ranged magicka builds by absorbing projectiles.

Be glad of those few using streak still. At least you can kill those.
    Also; if Zenimax wants to force Sorcerers into melee range with this, then that is absolutely fine. Sorcerer is not suited to be in melee range, yet that is where Streak is usable offensively. So it is good they have something for this situation.

And oh gods! It is but a stun. Break free from it and be done with it. The Sorcerer needs a moment to turn around after streaking through you to follow up with crystal shard or something else. By that time any decent play has already broken free. And curse and meteor alone have never killed anyone on their own.
    Edited by Dracane on February 24, 2020 1:18PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.