The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it intended that Kjalnar is neither direct damage nor AoE?

Dracane
Dracane
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The Kjalnar's Nightmare monster set is not affected by the 8% direct damage passive from inferno staves and also not by the 8% AoE damage from lightning staves.
As far as I am aware, all offensive attacks and effects in ESO are, at their very core, either direct damage or aoe damage. Since Kjalnar appears to only hit 1 target, it might be considered direct damage.

hpey8jd5pz9m.png

mbykdntg6bok.png

Auri-El is my lord,
Trinimac is my shield,
Magnus is my mind.
  • Harrdarrzarr
    Harrdarrzarr
    ✭✭✭
    with direct damage, you mean single target damage?
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I. The game handles it this way. It says direct damage to imply that it is no damage over time effect. Which is true for Kjalnar.
    Edited by Dracane on February 17, 2020 1:41PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • ankeor
    ankeor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flame staves buff single target damage ,not direct damage. They are not same.
    And there are aoe direct damage abilities.
    Sap essense from nb, dragon leap from dk, impulse from destro for example.
    Edited by ankeor on February 17, 2020 12:10PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ankeor wrote: »
    Flame staves buff single target damage ,not direct damage. They are not same.

Kjalnar is single target damage. So it changes nothing.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

Not I. The game handles it this way. It says direct damage when it means single target. (Usually)

Impulse, Fire Rune, Fiery Breath (initial hit), Deep Breath ... all of these are considered by the game as AoEs and direct damage at the same time, therefore these are increased by both, 8% lightning staff passive and Master at Arms CP.

But anyways, Kjalnar should be affected by the passive for having a fire staff equiped. I suspect that the hand is considered a pet, there was a bug two patches ago that pets weren't affected by weapon passives that required specific type of weapon equiped (Ancient Knowledge, Twin Blade and Blunt and Heavy Weapons). You should try if having two swords or a greatsword increase the damage of Kjalnar.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on February 17, 2020 12:21PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I. The game handles it this way. It says direct damage when it means single target. (Usually)

I think that is not correct. Direct damage does not mean single target.

All damage fits into two different characterizations. The first is either direct or DoT and the second is single target vs AoE.

So something can be direct damage and AoE. That would be instant damage that is an AoE.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

All damage fits into two different characterizations. The first is either direct or DoT and the second is single target vs AoE.

So something can be direct damage and AoE. That would be instant damage that is an AoE.

Sorry, I meant single target damage as in not being a damage over time effect.
    It does not change the circumstance that Kjalnar is a direct damage, single target attack and should therefor be increased by flame staves.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not change the circumstance that Kjalnar is a direct damage, single target attack and should therefor be increased by flame staves.

I suggest you word it correctly as the inaccurate use of terms is distracting.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest you word it correctly as the inaccurate use of terms is distracting.

Then, with your allowance, I shall edit.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Barbaran
    Barbaran
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Kjalnar's Nightmare monster set is not affected by the 8% direct damage passive from inferno staves and also not by the 8% AoE damage from lightning staves.
    As far as I am aware, all offensive attacks and effects in ESO are, at their very core, either direct damage or aoe damage. Since Kjalnar appears to only hit 1 target, it might be considered direct damage.

hpey8jd5pz9m.png

mbykdntg6bok.png

Flame staff increases damage from single target 'ABILITIES'. A monster helm proc is not an ability.
    Case closed Watson. Now tell the Hardy boys to call Nancy drew and let's grab a drink.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Barbaran wrote: »

hpey8jd5pz9m.png

mbykdntg6bok.png

Flame staff increases damage from single target 'ABILITIES'. A monster helm proc is not an ability.
    Case closed Watson. Now tell the Hardy boys to call Nancy drew and let's grab a drink.

@Barbaran So Zaan, Illambris, Grothdarr and any other offensive monster set in the game are abilities? This has to be the most uninformed thing I have ever read here. All these sets get boostes by either flame or lightning staves. Because staves do not only boost abilities, but any single target or aoe damage.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

hpey8jd5pz9m.png

mbykdntg6bok.png

Ancient knowledge affects sets as well. I agree that wording in ESO is a problem since begining. That's why you should always try things for yourself instead of googling it.

Much more intuitive wording would be "increases all your single target damage when having a flame staff equipped" instead of "increase the damage of your single target abilities ...". Because the passive does the first but says the second.

hpey8jd5pz9m.png

mbykdntg6bok.png

@Barbaran So Zaan, Illambris, Grothdarr and any other offensive monster set in the game are abilities? This has to be the most uninformed thing I have ever read here. All these sets get boostes by either flame or lightning staves. Because staves do not only boost abilities, but any single target or aoe damage.

Weapon enchants or alchemical poisons aren't abilities either and still get boosted by Ancient Knowledge and similar effects.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on February 21, 2020 12:00PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

hpey8jd5pz9m.png

mbykdntg6bok.png

Ancient knowledge affects sets as well. I agree that wording in ESO is a problem since begining. That's why you should always try things for yourself instead of googling it.

Much more intuitive wording would be "increases all your single target damage when having a flame staff equipped" instead of "increase the damage of your single target abilities ...". Because the passive does the first but says the second.

hpey8jd5pz9m.png

mbykdntg6bok.png

Weapon enchants or alchemical poisons aren't abilities either and still get boosted by Ancient Knowledge and similar effects.

Indeed. Further fueling the need for Kjalnar to be affected by it. :D It is no different.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.