The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Midyear Mayhem - I don't think it has the desired effect

Nerouyn
Nerouyn
✭✭✭✭✭
The desired effect of course is to make everyone scream "I want more Cyrodiil, and will continue to play there minus the double rewards, etc." But I don't think that's likely.

Here's why.

1) Story.

The PvE story has us discover that the war is part of an evil plot which we foil. But one NPC tells you "We can't just stop the war, cos it's complicated. Please carry on with that."

SUPER LAME

2) Progression

Even with double rewards it is horrendously, painfully slow.

I have abandoned any thought of bothering to get any character to max pvp level. Screw those skill points. As a magicka player there's nothing to spend them on anyway.

I may just get a few characters to the point of getting magicka detonation. My wardens with so few magicka damage abilities might at least get some benefit from that grind.

3) Reward scheme.

To maximise pvp xp / ap - which is the only reason many will ever go in there - the optimal thing to do is totally avoid PvP. You want to capture ***. Without resistance.

Resistance id both craptastically boring and seriously nerfs xp / ap gain. Usually tanks way better geared than most people in there for the event who are nigh impossible to kill. Sure, they also struggle to kill anyone, but that doesn't matter. They can successfully endlessly frustrate captures, which successfully frustrates rewards.

Which only makes players want to be done Cyrodiil all the quicker.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    The PvE story has us discover that the war is part of an evil plot which we foil. But one NPC tells you "We can't just stop the war, cos it's complicated. Please carry on with that."
    SUPER LAME
    Especially when I took care of that on Stirk, didn't I?

For rewards it would probably be optimal to do it PvE with the 3 factions rotating the map, re-capturing assets over and over again.
    Same with Tel Var. Just avoid everyone, keep your multiplier high, and farm the mobs.
    But no, that would be collaborating and probably ZOS would have to step in and stop the gravy train.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on January 31, 2020 10:12PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw come on AR level 50 is only 64,680,000 AP. :D
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    For rewards it would probably be optimal to do it PvE with the 3 factions rotating the map, re-capturing assets over and over again.

I think that's how many players adapted to this scheme and is why ZO recently introduced the faction lock cyrodiil map.

That's how I got most the restricted skyshards for most of my characters. I used to check the map to see when it had rotated to my faction and re-check until they popped open those gates. Then send my characters in get to those shards.

I haven't looked in on the faction lock map but I think the rotation still happens on others.

Even with double xp rate it's extremely boring. I can tolerate it to the point of getting magicka detonation but all the way to pvp max? Just for a few more skill points? When there's nothing to spend them on anway (as a mag player)?

Pass.
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To maximise pvp xp / ap - which is the only reason many will ever go in there - the optimal thing to do is totally avoid PvP. You want to capture ***. Without resistance.
    You actually get way larger O & D ticks if there are enemy players in the fight...plus the AP of killing those players.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think players that ultimately stick with PVP do so because they simply like PVP. It ultimately has little to nothing to do with rewards. The MM rewards are just an enticement for people to try PVP in the remote chance they might end up liking it. Overall I think it works to a very limited degree.

Personally, if I PVP at all, its for one reason...transmute crystals.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    You actually get way larger O & D ticks if there are enemy players in the fight...plus the AP of killing those players.

You "actually" don't though.

As I said those other players are most often mega tanks who can successfully endlessly frustrate even dozens of the types of player in there for this event.

Without bothering to farm special pvp gear.

Who would rather stab themselves repeatedly in the ear with a potato peeler than animation cancel or "weave".

Mostly what you get is zero AP. If you're in a huge zerg you might eventually kill them and earn a piddly amount of AP - a tiny fraction of what you would have earned capturing *** unchallenged.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know. Midyear Mayhem got me into PVP last year. I still don't like it as much as PVE, but its fun. Better move would have been to fix the performance in Cyrodiil before luring more players in so it would have been a better presentation, but its pretty clear at this point that is not going to happen
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not even midyear, why does the event called midyear mayhem, a fail from the start.
    Pc na
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    akl77 wrote: »
    It’s not even midyear, why does the event called midyear mayhem, a fail from the start.

They had problems when it was supposed to launch last year. Lag, servers, players getting kicked for no reason. So they postponed MM until they fixed all of those. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The desired effect of course is to make everyone scream "I want more Cyrodiil, and will continue to play there minus the double rewards, etc." But I don't think that's likely.

Here's why.

1) Story.

SUPER LAME

2) Progression

I have abandoned any thought of bothering to get any character to max pvp level. Screw those skill points. As a magicka player there's nothing to spend them on anyway.

I may just get a few characters to the point of getting magicka detonation. My wardens with so few magicka damage abilities might at least get some benefit from that grind.

3) Reward scheme.

Resistance id both craptastically boring and seriously nerfs xp / ap gain. Usually tanks way better geared than most people in there for the event who are nigh impossible to kill. Sure, they also struggle to kill anyone, but that doesn't matter. They can successfully endlessly frustrate captures, which successfully frustrates rewards.

Just a quick insight into PvP.

The reason its as bad as it is rank wise is because there is not really much in PvP for those who are diehard PvPers and so the rank is considered by some and I do mean some only to be a "status" symbol and thus MUST be hard to obtain you must be fully comitted to it and stuff which is all well and good.

Where it falls apart though is all 50 ranks grant a single skill point and at the same time the rank itself is meaningless really beyond a couple of furnishing rewards and titles and dyes and such. Generally speaking PvP ranks are meaningless.

and lets be clear here for those who are already GO or have GOs; your rank really does mean absolutely nothing. It is possible to have gained it during exploit periods such as the healing mess we had a while back where everyone just slotted springs and farmed their way to the top. Otherwise litterally have endless amount of hours in PvP and still dont have GO but others who have less do because alls they've done is farm towers for a year.

In other words; GO does not equate to game knowledge or your ability to play its literally just a flat pointless rank.

I have multiple characters over rank 30+ 1 character 15 ranks from GO (Grand Overlord) but in reality this means that I am actually roughly the first 28 ranks away from rank 45. Perhaps more. Because the amount of AP gains nessasary doubles per rank and it never stops or gets less. They never went back to do anything with the progression there and I do think thats mostly so that PvPers had something of a "goal" to reach seeing as they would do nothing but play in cyrodil and thats it.

In the end its a bad system and I agree that the PvP systems leave much to be desired and would probably be much more appealing if everything didnt seem so daunting (and if the servers actually worked half the time for EU players) - in the end at some point I think ZoS needs to take another look at it.
    Edited by xeNNNNN on January 31, 2020 10:57PM
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    xeNNNNN wrote: »
    Because the amount of AP gains nessasary doubles per rank and it never stops or gets less.

Point of arithmetic: Strictly speaking, that must be overstated. If it were true, then reaching Rank 25 would require billions of AP, reaching Rank 35 would require trillions, and so on. :)
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a lot of fun and will most likely keep coming back.

Soloing resources is a lot of fun, even if it takes me longer than it "should." (I don't like the idea that killing a certain number of enemies "should" take no more than a certain amount of time, but I see other players solo a resource and they clear the NPCs around the flags in a fraction of the time it takes me.)

And my missions are usually deep in enemy territory, where capturing a single resource probably isn't going to be of much benefit to my alliance; but after I capture the resource I'm supposed to, I'll capture the other two if I can, to cut the enemy's transit lines to that keep.

I love the idea that I might be drawing enemy players away from the "front" so they can flip their resources back again. :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said those other players are most often mega tanks who can successfully endlessly frustrate even dozens of the types of player in there for this event.

Who would rather stab themselves repeatedly in the ear with a potato peeler than animation cancel or "weave".

Mostly what you get is zero AP. If you're in a huge zerg you might eventually kill them and earn a piddly amount of AP - a tiny fraction of what you would have earned capturing *** unchallenged.

If I take a keep & it is not defended by players, even with double AP it is around 6k O-tick. If I take a keep & there are defending players.. the O-tick will increase.. A LOT. The more defenders, the greater the O-tick. Massive keep takes can award upward of 30k AP. The same goes for D-ticks... the more attackers.. the greater the D-tick.

If you fail in your objective (to take a keep or defend a keep) then sure, you will get less AP.

If all you are doing is PVDoor, then of course it is going to get boring fast. The enemy players are what makes it unpredictable & fun. :D

NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the traditional name for this event, regardless of what time of year it's held.

Besides, not all calendars begin in winter; some begin at other times of the year. The only calendar that truly matters in this case is Tamriel's calendar-- supposing that they just have the one, although it's reasonable to think that the different races or provinces might have their own traditional calendars in addition to the "universal Tamrielic" calendar. And the "universal" one seems to mirror Earth's Gregorian calendar, so it does begin in winter.

But I'm just sayin', "midyear" doesn't necessarily mean summertime.

(Apologies to those below the equator, where the seasons are different.)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every player in the game has different goals for both PvP and for Events, @Nerouyn.

For that reason, don’t expect every player to share your opinion that it doesn’t have the desired effect.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 31, 2020 11:21PM
  • Maxx7410
    Maxx7410
    ✭✭✭✭
    this event is better than others. Also i am doing good money :D
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's why.

1) Story.

SUPER LAME

2) Progression

3) Reward scheme.

The idea is meant to get people that havent tried PVP into it which based on populations is largely successful.

It isnt meant to be PVE though, the 3 Banners war lasts another 100 years in the lore so we couldn't stop it in the current timeline.

PVP ranks are daunting (I started to get an ES replica for my house, just hit rank 48 last night) but arent as bad as you get more into and better at PVP. They are very much meant to be the "endgame" rewards for pvpers.

You dont want to capture stuff with no resistance though you want resistance because that potentially means more AP on top of what you're grinding for which means AP and rewards come much quicker.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's why.

1) Story.

SUPER LAME

2) Progression

3) Reward scheme.

The reason its as bad as it is rank wise is because there is not really much in PvP for those who are diehard PvPers and so the rank is considered by some and I do mean some only to be a "status" symbol and thus MUST be hard to obtain you must be fully comitted to it and stuff which is all well and good.

Where it falls apart though is all 50 ranks grant a single skill point and at the same time the rank itself is meaningless really beyond a couple of furnishing rewards and titles and dyes and such. Generally speaking PvP ranks are meaningless.

and lets be clear here for those who are already GO or have GOs; your rank really does mean absolutely nothing. It is possible to have gained it during exploit periods such as the healing mess we had a while back where everyone just slotted springs and farmed their way to the top. Otherwise litterally have endless amount of hours in PvP and still dont have GO but others who have less do because alls they've done is farm towers for a year.

In other words; GO does not equate to game knowledge or your ability to play its literally just a flat pointless rank.

I have multiple characters over rank 30+ 1 character 15 ranks from GO (Grand Overlord) but in reality this means that I am actually roughly the first 28 ranks away from rank 45. Perhaps more. Because the amount of AP gains nessasary doubles per rank and it never stops or gets less. They never went back to do anything with the progression there and I do think thats mostly so that PvPers had something of a "goal" to reach seeing as they would do nothing but play in cyrodil and thats it.

In the end its a bad system and I agree that the PvP systems leave much to be desired and would probably be much more appealing if everything didnt seem so daunting (and if the servers actually worked half the time for EU players) - in the end at some point I think ZoS needs to take another look at it.

By this reasoning all achievements in the game are meaningless. All of them. Nothing you have done matters.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

Here's why.

1) Story.

SUPER LAME

2) Progression

3) Reward scheme.

By this reasoning all achievements in the game are meaningless. All of them. Nothing you have done matters.

Well, it's a videogame so yeah that sums it up pretty well. The achievements only have meaning if you give them meaning
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aw come on AR level 50 is only 64,680,000 AP. :D

Yup! And I’m only 600k away!
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That is ABSOLUTELY not true. Once, I was in a huge fight. Lasted WAY longer than I thought it would. All factions were involved. I was like “I’m gonna pop an invisible pot and hop off the wall! Screw this!”

But I was killing so many people. Kiting around columns, running around towers. 307,000 defense tick when it was all said and done. A few months ago....
  • munchkinxx
    munchkinxx
    ✭✭✭

If I take a keep & it is not defended by players, even with double AP it is around 6k O-tick. If I take a keep & there are defending players.. the O-tick will increase.. A LOT. The more defenders, the greater the O-tick. Massive keep takes can award upward of 30k AP. The same goes for D-ticks... the more attackers.. the greater the D-tick.

If you fail in your objective (to take a keep or defend a keep) then sure, you will get less AP.

If all you are doing is PVDoor, then of course it is going to get boring fast. The enemy players are what makes it unpredictable & fun. :D

This is correct, however the ticks for taking a keep generally range for us in the 40 to 60k mark ( non midyear mayhem ticks). That's because our group of 6 or so players deliberately go into enemy back lines and siege a keep to take it and guarantee we have plenty of company come defend it or take it back 😊. Not only do we get the ticks but the amount of ap from killing players puts us in the 6 to 10 mil ap range for a campaign in main PvP campaign.
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is ABSOLUTELY not true. Once, I was in a huge fight. Lasted WAY longer than I thought it would. All factions were involved. I was like “I’m gonna pop an invisible pot and hop off the wall! Screw this!”

But I was killing so many people. Kiting around columns, running around towers. 307,000 defense tick when it was all said and done. A few months ago....

This is why I don’t mind at all when a ball group plays ring-around-the-inner-keep. When they’re inevitably wiped, those D ticks are usually pretty juicy.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just log off if there is no resistance on enemy side.
    What is the difference between PvE and PvP if there is no enemy and I PvDoor it?
    You just kill NPCs an cap it.
    Gets boring very quickly.
    So no, it is better both Offensive and Defensive ticks for AP.

But we need new rewards. I just consider the rewards decons items at this point.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2019 was the year of ENDLESS "SPECIAL" EVENTS for tickets. Which without any explanation from ZO curiously began with "Midyear" Mayhem.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Midyear_Mayhem

I think they're basically just desperate for players to pvp and also trials. Evident in ZO cramming pvp into the Jester's Festival achievements. And trials into the Witches Festival.

Everything I said was ABSO-BLEEPING-LUTELY TRUE!!!!!!

There is no defence "tick".

There is a defence bonus which only applies after you successfully end an attack. A single player only needs to keep an attack going for a short time to make attempting to defend any structure a total waste of AP.

The smartest thing to do is capture and abandon.

Allow other factions to capture and abandon.

Then you can capture and abandon again.

Today a few enemy players managed to stick around in a captured castle. Took quite a lot of players about 5-10 minutes to track them down and kill them.

Defence bonus = less than 1000 AP.

In that same amount of time we could have effortlessly captured at least 2 or 3 resources for 3600 AP each.

A castle at about 16k AP doesn't take much longer to capture, if undefended. Which nearly all are.

This math is not hard.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

It's the traditional name for this event, regardless of what time of year it's held.

Besides, not all calendars begin in winter; some begin at other times of the year. The only calendar that truly matters in this case is Tamriel's calendar-- supposing that they just have the one, although it's reasonable to think that the different races or provinces might have their own traditional calendars in addition to the "universal Tamrielic" calendar. And the "universal" one seems to mirror Earth's Gregorian calendar, so it does begin in winter.

But I'm just sayin', "midyear" doesn't necessarily mean summertime.

(Apologies to those below the equator, where the seasons are different.)

Morning Star 1st

Today the people of provinceName are having the New Life Festival in celebration of a new year. The Emperor has ordered yet another tax increase in his New Life Address, and there is much grumbling about this. Still, despite financial difficulties, the New Life tradition of free ale at all the taverns in the cities continues. The people of provinceName certainly know how to hold a celebration. In Daggerfall, this is the Summoning Day for Clavicus Vile.

Edit:

Mid Year 16th

Today is the 16th of Mid Year, the traditional day for the Mid Year Celebration. Perhaps to alleviate the annual news of the Emperor's latest tax increase, the cities temples offer blessings for only half the donation they usually suggest. Many so blessed feel confident enough to enter the (dangerous) dungeons when they are not fully prepared, so this joyous festival has often been known to turn suddenly into a day of defeat and tragedy.
    Edited by Olauron on February 1, 2020 10:59AM
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • BackStabeth
    BackStabeth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When developers have to create situations to cause people to reluctantly engage in PvP that should be an obvious indicator that some people simply don't want to PvP.

There is nothing to lose except maybe telvar stones, which if you don't PvP don't matter anyway. In other words, there is no risk in engaging in PvP, no fear, no concern at all. People do not avoid PvP in ESO because they fear being killed in the game. They avoid it because it simply holds not interest for them and doesn't add any value in their enjoyment of the game. ESO has so many fun, interesting, engaging aspects to explore that a lot of people who want nothing to do with PvP play the game for all the other reasons outside PvP.

Attempting to entice people to PvP feels like manipulation to me. I am happier not engaging in any form of PvP, thus I have totally avoided the event all together. Engaging in content I have no interest in gives false indicators to developers, so I make sure I avoid any PvP so that my voice is heard and not drowned out by engaging in content, even just reluctantly, I want nothing to do with. I don't want to log off unhappy, I want to log off while I still feel good and want to continue playing.

A very close friend of mine, and one of the best guitarists I have even met once told me something that makes a lot of sense and can apply to just about everything you do. I was getting frustrated because we had a big gig coming up and I couldn't seem to get a specific lick down. It got to the point I didn't even want to play my guitar I was so frustrated. He told me I should put my guitar down while I still want to play it, that way I will always want to pick it up again.

I no longer enjoy PvP, doesn't make me feel good, doesn't make me happy, I don't enjoy it at all. So for me to engage in PvP and then turn off my PC I would essentially be stopping my game play when I didn't have any good feelings about the game.

Easiest way to avoid loosing interest in any game is simply to avoid those aspects, game mechanics, content that you don't honestly enjoy. If you are forced to engage in content because of a requirement, or because you cannot advance, and you do not enjoy that content you will inevitably quit.

You can sum everything up I have said in an easy, short statement. Just simply avoid anything that doesn't interest you or doesn't allow you to enjoy your free time you spend playing any game.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

2019 was the year of ENDLESS "SPECIAL" EVENTS for tickets. Which without any explanation from ZO curiously began with "Midyear" Mayhem.

I think they're basically just desperate for players to pvp and also trials. Evident in ZO cramming pvp into the Jester's Festival achievements. And trials into the Witches Festival.

There is a defence bonus which only applies after you successfully end an attack. A single player only needs to keep an attack going for a short time to make attempting to defend any structure a total waste of AP.

Today a few enemy players managed to stick around in a captured castle. Took quite a lot of players about 5-10 minutes to track them down and kill them.

In that same amount of time we could have effortlessly captured at least 2 or 3 resources for 3600 AP each.

A castle at about 16k AP doesn't take much longer to capture, if undefended. Which nearly all are.

This math is not hard.

Just watching this debate from the outside...

one minor point.... I would expect that the previous writer knew how much he received from a the 'defense tick' in the battle he participated in. Saying said defense tick does not exist.... doesn't seem to make a whole lotta sense.

IMHO

:#
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This math is not hard.

I unno, all I got is 64 million + AP on my main. So, I might not be an expert on farming AP lol. I’m jus’ a lil Lane!

All I DO know is that whether you call it a tick or a defense bonus, I got 307,000 in one go. I wouldn’t have gotten that much if I had pvdoored a Keep instead...

As for the “smartest thing” you mentioned. There’s a cool down on resources to prevent exactly that...as it’s faster to do on resources. In fact, I’m not sure but capture/abandoning empty keeps, letting the enemy recapture then THEY abandon so that you can recapture and abandon, again an EMPTY Keep might be construed as cheating. Particularly, if a noticeable pattern of these captures is observed. Either way, pvdoor is not in the spirit of Cyro. Fighting other people is. After all, it’s PLAYER versus PLAYER.

Edited by JumpmanLane on February 1, 2020 10:02PM
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »

This math is not hard.

Just watching this debate from the outside...

one minor point.... I would expect that the previous writer knew how much he received from a the 'defense tick' in the battle he participated in. Saying said defense tick does not exist.... doesn't seem to make a whole lotta sense.

IMHO

:#

A LOT of people got it. Everybody went crazy. It wasn’t double AP or nothing. That little AP “boost” got me Grand Overlord well before Midyear, where I had planned to grind that out.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to farm AP so efficiently, as to completely avoid fighting other players...outside of ranking up.

Most AP farmers I know focus on killing people (mainly for kicks) lol.